University of Texas 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
emkay625

Gold

Re: University of Texas 1L Taking Questions

Post by emkay625 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:54 am

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I have:

Contracts: Robin Effron
Torts: David Anderson
Crim: Steven Goode
Legal W&R: Stacy Sharp

And I will exchange baked goods for outlines or advice. : )
I wrote a bit about anderson in one of the "no more Rau" threads.
What's wrong with Rau? He was one of my favorite profs.
some guy created 5 identical threads about how lucky we were he was gone. no clue as to why.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:10 am

emkay625 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I have:

Contracts: Robin Effron
Torts: David Anderson
Crim: Steven Goode
Legal W&R: Stacy Sharp

And I will exchange baked goods for outlines or advice. : )
I wrote a bit about anderson in one of the "no more Rau" threads.
What's wrong with Rau? He was one of my favorite profs.
some guy created 5 identical threads about how lucky we were he was gone. no clue as to why.
He's gone? I just graduated, and I'm already losing touch. Lol

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:12 am

JazzOne wrote: He's gone? I just graduated, and I'm already losing touch. Lol
I don't think he's gone. I think they just didn't assign him a 1L class this semester. He might be teaching contracts in the spring after the flip.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:46 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
I don't think he's gone. I think they just didn't assign him a 1L class this semester. He might be teaching contracts in the spring after the flip.
What happed to that British corporations guy? Burman? He was really cool, but last I heard, he got real sick and had to abandon some classes mid semester? What's the word on that?

1Ls didnt like Rau because he expected you to think instead of just chat about cases. He loved to point out when students were full of nonsense. He was the one guy who shut down gunnerism like a boss.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
What happed to that British corporations guy? Burman? He was really cool, but last I heard, he got real sick and had to abandon some classes mid semester? What's the word on that?

1Ls didnt like Rau because he expected you to think instead of just chat about cases. He loved to point out when students were full of nonsense. He was the one guy who shut down gunnerism like a boss.
That sounds epic. Though the only complaints I've heard is that his exam doesn't test students well. I have no clue what their reasoning was to back that up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Dix: completely uncensored & hilarious, but probably only an average lecturer.
I took crim pro with Dix, and this comment was spot on.
I thought his crim pro class was great (makes you think and the class was entertaining). But he definitely is a lot better at asking questions (to everything) than actually answering them. To those in his class: Go buy Understanding Crim Law by Dressler.
Did you by chance also use the Gilberts supplement he authored? Thanks!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am

Rawlberto wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Dix: completely uncensored & hilarious, but probably only an average lecturer.
I took crim pro with Dix, and this comment was spot on.
I thought his crim pro class was great (makes you think and the class was entertaining). But he definitely is a lot better at asking questions (to everything) than actually answering them. To those in his class: Go buy Understanding Crim Law by Dressler.
Did you by chance also use the Gilberts supplement he authored? Thanks!
I used his gilbert supplement a few times. It's worth buying to quickly reference things, but Dressler's was much more complete.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Dammann was the professor who got very sick halfway through teaching BA in the fall and Spindler had to take over. (I believe he is german though.) I heard that Dammann taught Contracts in the spring and was much healthier.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

Dammann was the professor who got very sick halfway through teaching BA in the fall and Spindler had to take over. (I believe he is german though.) I heard that Dammann taught Contracts in the spring and was much healthier.
Oh right, Dammann. I never had a class with him, but he gave a lecture to my Legal Scholarship class. I thought his research was interesting, and he was really funny. Glad to hear he's doing ok.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Bump to say that I'm happy to answer questions. Rising 2L, lived in Texas for a few years pre-1L but not a native. non-URM, male, likes pizza.

blackmooncreeping

Bronze

Post by blackmooncreeping » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Ditto. 3L

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:55 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Bump to say that I'm happy to answer questions. Rising 2L, lived in Texas for a few years pre-1L but not a native. non-URM, male, likes pizza.
Homeslice: great Austin pizza, or the greatest Austin pizza?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Bump to say that I'm happy to answer questions. Rising 2L, lived in Texas for a few years pre-1L but not a native. non-URM, male, likes pizza.
Go get some Via 313 and then talk to me about your precious Homeslice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nightingale

New

Post by Nightingale » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Any opinions on Kull for contracts and Klein for crim law?

blackmooncreeping

Bronze

Post by blackmooncreeping » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Nightingale wrote:Any opinions on Kull for contracts and Klein for crim law?
I didn't have either, sorry.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Kull is new from Boston Univ. His test is a little odd, provided he keeps the format from BU, of course. You can find old tests on their test bank. I think it's really important to focus very specifically on how he wants answers worded, and it's very common law focused. Seems like one of those classes where you can just get median pwned and there's nothing to do about it. BUT he is a really nice guy and class appeared from the outside to be pleasant. And he provides like a binder for a classbook so it's cheap.

source: know plenty of people in that section. I had Dammann.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:
Go get some Via 313 and then talk to me about your precious Homeslice.
FUCK YES

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Any thoughts/advice on Sokolow (contracts) or Blais (property)?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:08 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Seems like one of those classes where you can just get median pwned and there's nothing to do about it.
Can confirm this is 100% on point

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:11 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Any thoughts/advice on Sokolow (contracts) or Blais (property)?
i've spoken with people about Blais before and I think her test is supposed to be not too bad. She's really nice, and heads the Supreme Court clinic and is a faculty advisor for ACS (the liberal group). She's a good person to know generally, especially if you are a clerkship gunner.

Edit: never lose sight of the fact that your professors are powerful people who are known around the country for various reasons. If you like them and they seem to like you, try to foster a relationship. Only good things can come from that for you.

Sokolow is very well known at the school and everyone seems to think he's great. haven't had a class with him but i'd imagine most would say you're lucky if you have him for Ks. LEARN THE UCC OR DIE, however.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Any thoughts/advice on Sokolow (contracts) or Blais (property)?
Sokolow: I've only heard good things about him from people who have taken his classes. Be warned though, he has a loud, irritating voice.

Blais: very intense and very smart and very opinionated. She is nice enough outside of class but extremely intense when talking about work. Did I mention she is very opinionated?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Yeah Blais is the kind of professor where I would advise against the TLS wisdom of sitting in the back of class and coasting through, since she is very involved and intense from an academic standpoint. Sometimes flexing your gunner muscles can be ok.

But only sometimes.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:28 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
Kull is new from Boston Univ. His test is a little odd, provided he keeps the format from BU, of course. You can find old tests on their test bank. I think it's really important to focus very specifically on how he wants answers worded, and it's very common law focused. Seems like one of those classes where you can just get median pwned and there's nothing to do about it. BUT he is a really nice guy and class appeared from the outside to be pleasant. And he provides like a binder for a classbook so it's cheap.

source: know plenty of people in that section. I had Dammann.
Pretty much yeah, not sure about the nice guy bit though lol. He's clearly very smart and witty, but he can be incredibly condescending at times and he definitely picks on people if they say something he doesn't like. He's basically super nice to people he likes, and a pretty big dick to people he doesn't.

For class advice I'll say STUDY THOSE OLD EXAMS, seriously. Figuring out how he thinks and what he wants is by far the most important aspect of the class. But he can also be super picky and ridiculous if your terminology doesn't match up exactly with his expectations. Overall, yeah, you're very much going to be at his mercy when it comes to grading and you only have so much control over how well you do.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:36 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote: you only have so much control over how well you do.
This is, by the way, a very good attitude to have with LS in general. Control what you can, don't let the variance get to you. The only way you'll feel good is if a) you somehow kill it anyway or b) you at least worked hard and met cool people.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Also also also (sorry for spamming)

Before anyone asks, I would say that in response to "how is UT perceived/wauuugh I'm not in a t-14 if I choose to go there" - don't fret, you're gonna be just fine here. Unless you want to work for Wachtell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”