Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Delt_Karl

New

Re: Cleveland-Marshall College of Law

Post by Delt_Karl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 am

Section 2, legal writing section 23.

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:20 pm

I live downtown and have lived in Lakewood, if there are still questions regarding housing, feel free to ask!
Last edited by melscul on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Attucks

New

Post by Attucks » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:49 pm

Are you all getting your section info via email or letter?

twa211

New

Post by twa211 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:54 am

Attucks, the fastest way to see your schedule is to set up an account on CampusNet. The link to the page where you will set up your account at is located on the bottom left corner of the CM homepage. There are instructions there on how to set everything up.

That's how I'm getting my information. I haven't received anything via e-mail or snail mail regarding my section information.

Delt_Karl

New

Post by Delt_Karl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:37 am

Attucks wrote:Are you all getting your section info via email or letter?
No, I just logged on to CampusNet. Had to call to get my password so I could log on for the first time though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:54 am

Section 3, Legal Writing Section 30. When I saw my schedule, I noticed that Macia Rechner was listed as instructor (along with another prof) for every class. I was momentarily concerned that I would have to listen to the same prof for all of my classes. Then I reasoned that no one person would be able to plow through all those exams. I found her on the website listed as "Student Records Officer". I wonder why she's listed as instructor on the schedule.

Is anyone else in Section 3? Does anyone else have no classes on Fridays?

Call 216/687-5050 to get your CSU ID# and password info then login here: https://campusnet.csuohio.edu/login.jsp for those who haven't done so already.

Delt_Karl

New

Post by Delt_Karl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:00 pm

I also have no classes on Fridays, which is nice. So I'll probably use them to review and get stuff done.

OgmiosII

New

Post by OgmiosII » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 pm

I’ll be in Section 1, legal writing section 28.

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:03 am

I am in Section 3, Legal Writing 30.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 am

I went down to campus yesterday to take care of a couple of things. Got my ID. It was very quick and easy. I just needed my Driver's license and the class schedule they sent me. Went to financial aid. The info said it was in the "Student Services Center". It didn't tell you that the Student Services Center is in the Main Classroom Building (same place you go to get your ID). That caused me a little confusion. I thought I'd have to sign my Master Promissary Note, but that can be done online now. The link is on the financial aid website under the Stafford Loan entrance counseling quiz you have to take. Everyone was very helpful and professional.

I got the email that the bookstore had out the Fall books. I went down to price their used selection. Do not go to the bookstore! There are like a dozen law textbooks out (next to no used options), but most of them are not labeled by class/section/professor. It was really disappointing. I ordered all my books online. I couldn't find two books, and I may have to pay the bookstore's ransom. I thought I'd pick up a CSU Law School t-shirt while I was there. They only had small and medium and only 2 of each of those. :x

For those of you who are veterans, you need to take your GI Bill certification letter and DD214 to the Veteran's Liason Office. It is located in the Keith Building on the 13th floor. The building is located at E17th and Euclid.

twa211

New

Post by twa211 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:42 pm

Great advice, Cole. I just bought my "Problems in Contract Law" book (considered "new") on half.com for $42.00 less than what it was listed for on Wolters Kluwer's website. I also checked out amazon.com and some random law school textbook site, neither having the right edition.

Anyone have suggestions on buying books elsewhere (new and used)?

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 pm

twa211 wrote:Great advice, Cole. I just bought my "Problems in Contract Law" book (considered "new") on half.com for $42.00 less than what it was listed for on Wolters Kluwer's website. I also checked out amazon.com and some random law school textbook site, neither having the right edition.

Anyone have suggestions on buying books elsewhere (new and used)?
I also used half.com. Some of the books I got were the previous edition. I don't anticipate much of a problem. I did this frequently in undergrad, and never had a problem. Occasionally the page #s don't match up with the assignment, but I could always easily tell what to read by the subject matter heading.

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I ordered seven of my books on amazon.com, most of those through their affiliate sellers.

The total was just under $400 including shipping.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Delt_Karl

New

Post by Delt_Karl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:35 pm

I just bought a bunch of my books too. I went back and forth comparing amazon, half.com, and lawbooksforless. I tried to get all the current editions, even though I too used previous editions in undergrad, I thought I'd try to save myself the hassle. I did get the 17th edition of the Bluebook, not the 18th. And I still haven't gotten the 'Interactive Citation Workbook for the Bluebook.' I'm considering the 2008 edition since the 2009 one isn't supposed to come out until right before classes start. Total for nine books was a little over $400.

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Any thoughts on ordering supplemental materials before orientation?

I am considering the Examples and Explanations series, although I have heard that these may be more useful for some courses than others, depending on the professor's teaching style.

A friend of mine, who is a 2L at Cleveland-Marshall, recommends Crunch Time. I am debating whether I want to spend the money up front for supplements (and have them on hand if I need them) or if it would be better to wait and see.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 pm

melscul wrote:Any thoughts on ordering supplemental materials before orientation?

I am considering the Examples and Explanations series, although I have heard that these may be more useful for some courses than others, depending on the professor's teaching style.

A friend of mine, who is a 2L at Cleveland-Marshall, recommends Crunch Time. I am debating whether I want to spend the money up front for supplements (and have them on hand if I need them) or if it would be better to wait and see.
It would probably be wise to get the course syllabus and see what the prof will cover. I got the Big 6 EEs hand-me-down for free from a recent law grad. If you know a recent law school student (or your 2L friend), ask him/her if they have any law school books you can borrow. My friend's storage closet was a treasure trove of free of cost supplements and casebooks.

Did anyone attend the admitted students day when a professor adamantly stated not to use commerical outlines? It seemed like a strange comment for the admitted students day. Professors seem to hate supplements. I'll be using anything I can to better understand the material (outlines, supplements, hornbooks, whatever). I'll just be sure not to carry any supplements to office hours :wink:

Attucks

New

Post by Attucks » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:21 pm

CampusNet accounts are showing a balance now for the first semester. I seem to remember speaking to Dean Lucak and hearing that any loan money wouldn't be coming through until after the first week of the semester. Can anyone verify this? I'm also not seeing a due date on this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Attucks wrote:CampusNet accounts are showing a balance now for the first semester. I seem to remember speaking to Dean Lucak and hearing that any loan money wouldn't be coming through until after the first week of the semester. Can anyone verify this? I'm also not seeing a due date on this.
The financial aid office FAQs indicates that financial aid disbursement will occur 10 days prior to the semester. I remember the first week timeline being mentioned as well. I think that's when Dean L indicated we would get our checks for living expenses and whatnot.

http://www.csuohio.edu/offices/treasury ... ngfaq.html

edit: I just read a little more from the FAQ. It indicates that the refund checks would go out the Friday before classes start.

twa211

New

Post by twa211 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:21 pm

We should expect to have the actual funds available to us toward the end of the last week of August, right? If checks are mailed out on Friday the 21st, we can expect to receive them on or about Tuesday. Checks over a certain amount usually take 2 or 3 days to become available (which would be the case only unless your bank account has more in it than the refund check is worth).

Does this create a problem for anybody? I'm finishing my last week at work this week, so I get my last paycheck the first week of August. I've saved some money over the past few months since I'm moving from out of state and I have moving expenses. My bank account is about to take a hit :|

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:03 am

I have completed most of the items on the Law Library Orientation Checklist, but am running into a bit of trouble registering on the CALI site.

When I receive the prompt for "not a registered user yet", I do not see an entry for our Institution Authorization Code. Against my better judgment, I have tried to enter the code into the log in fields, but, as expected, this did not work.

I do receive a message that the site will be down from noon July 25 - 5pm July 26. As this time frame has already passed, I do not think that is the issue.

Have you guys been successful registering on CALI? If so, do you mind pointing out where I'm making a mistake? Thanks!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:31 am

I haven't gotten to the library registration yet. I did do the parking thing. I got this hangtag that says I have to pay every day? I'm assuming that this means that if I leave to run an errand during the day I'll have to pay to reenter the garage. There is an option to prepay for 10 days ($40) and get an 11th free, but you then you have to park in a lot that's pretty far from the law school. This seems less efficient than just charging a fixed semester rate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm

You should be able to purchase a hang tag per semester, I believe it is $160.

If you log into campusnet the parking option is located under the 'personal' tab, second to last option.

edit - you may have gotten one that was for the summer semester?
I know for the summer semester they have ten-day options. I attended undergrad at CSU, and generally semester parking passes were available for purchase via campusnet.

Hope that helps! (I'll be walking to school, so I hope my info is not outdated).

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:24 pm

melscul wrote:You should be able to purchase a hang tag per semester, I believe it is $160.

If you log into campusnet the parking option is located under the 'personal' tab, second to last option.

edit - you may have gotten one that was for the summer semester?
I know for the summer semester they have ten-day options. I attended undergrad at CSU, and generally semester parking passes were available for purchase via campusnet.

Hope that helps! (I'll be walking to school, so I hope my info is not outdated).
I hope I didn't screw myself by getting too far ahead. At the time I registered, the "pay daily" tag was the only one it said I was eligible to get. Maybe if I had waited until closer to the semester the prepaid one would have been available.

melscul

New

Post by melscul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:33 pm

edit - it looks like the 'pay at booth' are for the whole year.

Hopefully there is some benefit for paying as you go.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Called the parking office and got the prepaid semester tag. Problem solved.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”