Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ObviouslyMasochistic

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:09 am

insidethetwenty wrote:Bumping, because I have questions.

I'm visiting in a couple of weeks. What should I do while I'm in town? Who should I talk to while I'm there? Do any of the Duke students on here own a house/condo? Do you know anyone who does? What are the "good" parts of town or of the Triangle area?

Oh, and I hope all of you had a successful exam-time.

Thanks in advance!

Hey inside, I'll try my best at this one.

Sadly, none of my friends at Duke who frequent TLS own a house/condo. However, I do know a few folks who do, so I could forward any questions you had on to them.

You should definitely try to talk to everyone here who you can. The entire law school faculty and staff are incredibly nice and willing to answer any questions you have. So, I'd suggest roaming the halls and going into every administration-looking office you can find. Specifically, talk to Dean Hoye in admissions, John Ahlers in financial aid, Stella Boswell in career services, and Dean Belk and/or Dean Sherman in student affairs. All are fantastic folks.

As far as what you should do while you're in town, it really depends on what you're into. If you like the undergrad-y type bars and such, drive 10 minutes to Chapel Hill and find Franklin Street. If you like more mature, quiet places, Durham has some nice wine and martini bars downtown. If you're looking for good, cheap places to eat, you're in luck since those places are everywhere. If you're on a parental budget, head to Magnolia Grill or Nana's; otherwise, go to 9th Street in Durham and find something there that appeals to you. I've actually enjoyed heading to Raleigh to go out sometimes. There are some great restaurants and sports bars over there. Sorry I don't have a lot of depth of knowledge on what to do in/around the triangle area. I usually just go bowling and hit this little dive bar near my apartment where they have darts, pool, shuffleboard, and ping pong. Crazy right?

If you need anything else before your visit, reply back or PM me. I was supposed to be in the Bahamas today but got screwed, so I feel like I need to restore my karma reserves. :)

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:47 am

I'm visiting in a couple of weeks. What should I do while I'm in town? Who should I talk to while I'm there? Do any of the Duke students on here own a house/condo? Do you know anyone who does? What are the "good" parts of town or of the Triangle area?

Thanks in advance!

I don't own a house, but I am renting one. I can try and answer any questions you may have, but I am by no means an authority on the subject. If you are going to be house/condo/apartment hunting while you are here, I would suggest searching in the area between the main Duke campus and Chapel Hill. Anything along 15-501 is going to have quick access to the school. As aer already said, the area east of Duke is to be avoided.

As to who you should talk to, it really depends on what you are talking about. Most any of the students would be happy to talk to you about the school. If you want to speak to professors at the school, my Con Law professor, Prof. Blocher, is amazing. Other professors who can be interesting to talk to are Richman, Coleman, Young, Tigar, and a bunch more... if you ask the admissions people I am sure they will tell you who is available to talk to you while you are there.

I don't really know if I can add anything else without more specific questions. I hope you enjoy the visit!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 am

Wow, I sure whiffed on this thread...didn't see the bump for a few days. What they all said.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 am

Do you know anyone who is looking towards working in legal academia? How supportive is the school for this career track?

annabell

Postby annabell » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 am

I drove through the area on the way to the beach over winter break and stopped by Duke Law. Unfortunately, all the buildings were locked, but I still got a feel for the area. After visiting, I have a few questions...sorry if there are too many - most are basically yes/no/number questions. I really, really appreciate this thread!!!

--It seems like you absolutely need to have a car because there wasn't much within easy walking distance of the law school other than other graduate schools - is this true? Also, given this, is parking a real problem? If students drive to school, are they less likely to leave during the day (i.e. lunch not at the law school, work out, go home to nap/study)?
--Is there a gym nearby that's free to grad students? If so, is it nice and is there parking nearby (or is it walking distance to the law school)?
--Is there any camraderie between law students and Business School/Public Policy School students (as well as other grad students) or do law students more stick to themselves?
--Is there a social division between summer starters and non-summer starters?
--How many nights a week do law students go out at the beginning/middle/end of the semester? Is it more apartment parties or bars or pregame/then bars? Do most people go out a lot or will ultrasocial people get lonely (and possibly fail out because everyone else is studying all the time all year long)?
--Last question, if this applies to you, when did most people get their scholarship information? It says any time after Jan 1...

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am

I am waiting for a plane to go back to Duke right now, so I will try and answer this quick.

annabell wrote:I drove through the area on the way to the beach over winter break and stopped by Duke Law. Unfortunately, all the buildings were locked, but I still got a feel for the area. After visiting, I have a few questions...sorry if there are too many - most are basically yes/no/number questions. I really, really appreciate this thread!!!

--It seems like you absolutely need to have a car because there wasn't much within easy walking distance of the law school other than other graduate schools - is this true? Also, given this, is parking a real problem? If students drive to school, are they less likely to leave during the day (i.e. lunch not at the law school, work out, go home to nap/study)?

Yes, you should have a car. Presidentv8 does not, but he is a crazy person. I suppose if you lived in the Lofts, that would be a walkable distance, but those are pretty expesive (but nice). Most people have cars or at the least a bike of some variety. Baring that, find a roommate to mooch rides from or live in an apartment complex that has other law students in it so you can carpool.

1L year you park in the green zone. The green zone is a short walk down science drive from the law school, and we share the lot with Fuqua and the Public policy students I think. There is also a smaller green zone lot down towerview and green zone spots along towerview, but those are almost always full. The only time I have had a problem with actually finding a spot is between 9 and 11 or so in the morning, and in that case you can usually park across the street in the WaDuke parking lot without getting ticketed. Just don't make a habit of it or they might figure you out. And you shouldn't need to go anywhere to work out, as...

annabell wrote:--Is there a gym nearby that's free to grad students? If so, is it nice and is there parking nearby (or is it walking distance to the law school)?

...we have access to the gym and it is maybe a 4 minute walk from the law school. It is actually situated between the green zone and the law school. I played basketball (and sucked at it) after finals to relieve stress. It has all the normal equipment you would expect in a gym. It is nice, and it is usually not very crowded. Oh, and it has a climbing wall which I intend to actually start using over this semester. It has been a while since I climbed, so I am a little afraid I am going to thoroughly embarrass myself for about a month. But if I want to go climbing with my cousin back west, I need to get back in shape.

annabell wrote:--Is there any camraderie between law students and Business School/Public Policy School students (as well as other grad students) or do law students more stick to themselves?

You don't want to be friends with those guys, they are jerks. :P Seriously though, I at least don't talk to them much. There are really not all that many opportunities for us to interact with them, as we are all pretty busy in our own schools. The few I know are nice, but I know very few. The Fuqua cafeteria is a much better deal than the Refractory in the Law school, so we tend to invade their building during lunch if there are no free options on any particular day. The common space in the Public Policy building is another good option for eating/studying when you need a change of scenery.

annabell wrote:--Is there a social division between summer starters and non-summer starters?

Unfortunately yes... kinda. I know quite a few and talk to them often, but I am of course on the whole closer to my section-that is only natural. I know other people who don't know any of the sumer starters. Most of the summer starters from my class are very friendly, but it again comes down to making the time to seek them out and make friends.

The division is really the same as the division between all of the sections. It is not so much that any particular section is unfriendly or exclusive, but rather that we are all so busy that it is easier to get to know the people we have to see every day. I know lots of people in my section, and the two other sections I had class with last semester (one of which was the summer starters), but I probably know 5-10 people in the other three sections right now. I have been told the section divisions lessen in future years when we no longer taking all of our classes with the same group of people. Some of the summer starters will undoubtedly have a harder time integrating into the school because they are getting a duel degree in another discipline. Time spent away from the law school is less time to bond with your classmates. But it is by no means insurmountable.

I have been told that in past years the summer starters have cloistered themselves away from the rest of the school more so than they have with our class. One of the administrators I talked to had an interesting theory as to why our class is different. In past years, the summer starters have had lower average lsat and gpa scores than the rest of the school. This year, the averages are roughly the same. So the summer starters this year don't feel like they need to prove anything to everyone else, and so are more willing to integrate into the rest of the class. I don't know if that is really the reason, but I thought I would pass it along.

annabell wrote:--How many nights a week do law students go out at the beginning/middle/end of the semester? Is it more apartment parties or bars or pregame/then bars? Do most people go out a lot or will ultrasocial people get lonely (and possibly fail out because everyone else is studying all the time all year long)?

I am going to let someone else answer this because the plane is taking off.

annabell wrote:--Last question, if this applies to you, when did most people get their scholarship information? It says any time after Jan 1...

I don't quite remember, but I feel like it was sometime in February or March. You might be waiting a while.

Good luck! I will try and fill this in more when I land.
Last edited by Bosque on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Bosque wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I don't own a house, but I am renting one. I can try and answer any questions you may have, but I am by no means an authority on the subject. If you are going to be house/condo/apartment hunting while you are here, I would suggest searching in the area between the main Duke campus and Chapel Hill. Anything along 15-501 is going to have quick access to the school. As aer already said, the area east of Duke is to be avoided.

This is false. While there are definitely bad areas east of Duke, there are also some great neighborhoods. And plenty of Duke grad students choose to buy in those places. By saying that you shouldn't go east of campus, you're knocking out Trinity Park, Duke Park, downtown and the warehouse district, just to name a few places east of campus that have some nice housing options.

I own a house about two miles east and north of Duke's campus and love it. There are several Duke PhD students and one MBA student who own in my neighborhood, and as far as I can tell, they like it here too. If insidethetwenty or any other TLSers are interested in hearing about the experiences of a law student, albeit not a Duke one, purchasing in Durham, I'd be happy to answer Qs.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:12 pm

TarHeel11 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Thanks in advance!

This is false. While there are definitely bad areas east of Duke, there are also some great neighborhoods. And plenty of Duke grad students choose to buy in those places. By saying that you shouldn't go east of campus, you're knocking out Trinity Park, Duke Park, downtown and the warehouse district, just to name a few places east of campus that have some nice housing options.

I own a house about two miles east and north of Duke's campus and love it. There are several Duke PhD students and one MBA student who own in my neighborhood, and as far as I can tell, they like it here too. If insidethetwenty or any other TLSers are interested in hearing about the experiences of a law student, albeit not a Duke one, purchasing in Durham, I'd be happy to answer Qs.

Sorry, I should have added the qualifier "generally". While there are a few nice neighborhoods in that area, most of the options in the price range a typical student is looking at are in undesirable areas. You can get about the same price in better areas south and west of Duke. Also, south and west of Duke is the area most of the other law students live in, so if you are going out, meeting for a study group, going to a party, ect. it is easier to coordinate. You also are closer to Chapel Hill.

Wait a tick... you say you are a law student, but not at Duke. I assume by your handle that you go to UNC. Isn't northeast of Duke a little far to commute everyday? Kudos to you on making that drive every morning.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Bosque wrote:Wait a tick... you say you are a law student, but not at Duke. I assume by your handle that you go to UNC. Isn't northeast of Duke a little far to commute everyday? Kudos to you on making that drive every morning.

Eh, it's not bad at all. It's 14 miles and takes me 20 to 25 minutes. I miss the heavy traffic on 15-501 because I go early to hit the campus gym. It's a much better commute than those of my classmates coming from Raleigh or one of its suburbs, or even from the Greensboro area.

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Could someone that picked Duke over MVP/NW/Cornell share with us how you arrived at that decision? Thanks!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:57 pm

Bosque wrote:Yes, you should have a car. Presidentv8 does not, but he is [strike]a crazy person[/strike] idiot.

Fixed that for ya. And I'm buying a car ASAP.

annabell

Postby annabell » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Any more details on the social scene would be greatly appreciated! i.e. what % of the class goes out (i.e. drinking) vs. those who dont, how many nights a week, what people do, etc. as this seems to vary a lot from law school to law school from what I've heard and seen. Also, in refernce to another thread I just came across, how "fratty" would you rate Duke?

Thank you again - this is really helpful!

aer

Postby aer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:48 am

annabell wrote:Thanks so much for answering my questions. Any more details on the social scene would be greatly appreciated! i.e. what % of the class goes out (i.e. drinking) vs. those who dont, how many nights a week, what people do, etc. as this seems to vary a lot from law school to law school from what I've heard and seen. Also, in refernce to another thread I just came across, how "fratty" would you rate Duke?

Thank you again - this is really helpful!

The frequency that people go out really depends on where in the semester everyone is. At the beginning I think most people go out to bar review and on the weekends, some people go out more frequently and some less. Right before the memo was due and the last few weeks before finals people pretty much stopped going out.

There are some people who were in frats and sororities in undergrad and a lot of people that weren't. I don't think that anyone from either group feels out of place because they were or were not in the Greek system in undergrad. I wasn't and love being at Duke.

Scrutinizer

Postby Scrutinizer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 am

Anyone here go to Duke initially planning on returning North and subsequently been swayed to the Southern lifestyle?

How many months out of the year could I ride a motorcycle to school?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Scrutinizer wrote:Anyone here go to Duke initially planning on returning North and subsequently been swayed to the Southern lifestyle?

How many months out of the year could I ride a motorcycle to school?

Although I have not always lived in "the South", I have never lived farther north than Virginia. So I cannot really answer that first question.

As to the second, as long as you have the proper clothing I see no reason you could not ride it all year long. The coldest it has been so far is the low 20s, and there is usually very little wind (well, at least compared to what I am used to out west).

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:03 pm

hopefulincal wrote:Could someone that picked Duke over MVP/NW/Cornell share with us how you arrived at that decision? Thanks!

Bump. Anyone?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

hopefulincal wrote:Could someone that picked Duke over MVP/NW/Cornell share with us how you arrived at that decision? Thanks!

I just saw this, sorry for not answering it earlier. For me, it was not any one particular factor, but rather the sum of a few. First, Duke gave me the most money. That combined with the low cost of living made Duke the cheapest option. Duke also is strong in IP, and that was an area I thought I might be interested in, although I am not sure anymore. Also, while I thought it would be interesting to live in someplace with 5 foot snowfalls, as that winter wonder has always fascinated me, not having to shovel my way out of the driveway to get to class cuts down on commute in the morning. Also (and I don't want to get into a debate on the facts for this here), I felt Duke was stronger at getting their students jobs nationally than any of those options. Duke is also (again, don't want to drag in statistics here) among the strongest in that list at placing clerkships. I also liked Duke's smaller class size, it makes the school feel less anonymous.

But the biggest thing that convinced me was the visit. It just... clicked for me that Duke was where I was supposed to go. I loved the natural light in the building, everyone I met was incredibly friendly, the mock classes were exhilarating, I felt at home in the classrooms, all the professors were excited to talk to me... the list goes on. It felt like what I thought law school should be like. This is why I strongly suggest visiting all your schools, there is simply no way to capture in words that intangible "fit" factor. I enjoyed my other visits, but Duke was the only one that really screamed "This is the law school for Bosque". The only real way to see if any of these schools it the one for you is to visit and decide for yourself.

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Bosque wrote:

I just saw this, sorry for not answering it earlier. For me, it was not any one particular factor, but rather the sum of a few. First, Duke gave me the most money. That combined with the low cost of living made Duke the cheapest option. Duke also is strong in IP, and that was an area I thought I might be interested in, although I am not sure anymore. Also, while I thought it would be interesting to live in someplace with 5 foot snowfalls, as that winter wonder has always fascinated me, not having to shovel my way out of the driveway to get to class cuts down on commute in the morning. Also (and I don't want to get into a debate on the facts for this here), I felt Duke was stronger at getting their students jobs nationally than any of those options. Duke is also (again, don't want to drag in statistics here) among the strongest in that list at placing clerkships. I also liked Duke's smaller class size, it makes the school feel less anonymous.

But the biggest thing that convinced me was the visit. It just... clicked for me that Duke was where I was supposed to go. I loved the natural light in the building, everyone I met was incredibly friendly, the mock classes were exhilarating, I felt at home in the classrooms, all the professors were excited to talk to me... the list goes on. It felt like what I thought law school should be like. This is why I strongly suggest visiting all your schools, there is simply no way to capture in words that intangible "fit" factor. I enjoyed my other visits, but Duke was the only one that really screamed "This is the law school for Bosque". The only real way to see if any of these schools it the one for you is to visit and decide for yourself.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. Could you elaborate on which school you chose (or would choose) over Duke? Or did what you write apply to all of them?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Bosque wrote:

That was an incredibly helpful reply. There's a good chance I'll be at Duke next year, and it's nice to hear productive feedback on the school like that.

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:10 pm

How does Duke place into NC biglaw? Easier/harder than UNC? Are there many firms at OCI, or is it more a self-initiated thing? How deep into the class could get NC biglaw?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:07 pm

MURPH wrote:Do you know anyone who is looking towards working in legal academia? How supportive is the school for this career track?

bump

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:46 pm

MURPH wrote:
MURPH wrote:Do you know anyone who is looking towards working in legal academia? How supportive is the school for this career track?

bump

I've had a professor who seemed supportive of the idea, but I'm (a) not sure what I can say about this placement as a 1L, and (b) am pretty sure that, historically speaking, it's not exactly our cup of tea. With that being said, I'm sure if you grabbed a joint degree, got good grades, and wrote and published for a few years, it's probably possible.

This^ is all speculation, by the way.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 pm

1. your school has a strange fetish for gpas, no?
2. the pic just above me is hilarious.

aer

Postby aer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:36 pm

talibkweli wrote:1. your school has a strange fetish for gpas, no?

1. I think we are known more for being into LSATs than GPAs, but I'm not really sure.

2. Yeah, it's pretty funny that those Carolina fans don't know how to spell Duke.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:48 pm

aer wrote:
talibkweli wrote:1. your school has a strange fetish for gpas, no?

1. I think we are known more for being into LSATs than GPAs, but I'm not really sure.

2. Yeah, it's pretty funny that those Carolina fans don't know how to spell Duke.

Does anyone know if Duke has the same soft spot for splitters as UVA? I think I'd like the "feel" of Duke, at least as I've heard it described. I don't know if it's my top choice since I have yet to see finaid stuff from the T20s, but I'm really hoping it'll at least be an option for me without the onus of the waitlist.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”