Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
R1chardParker

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby R1chardParker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am

Any insight into how 2L OCI went this year and what the employment situation is looking like for 3Ls?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:Are any of you from, or do you know people from, the Northeast? What percentage of Dukies would you say are from that area? How's the transition to the south? Culturally speaking, could you speak broadly as to life at Duke?

I'm not from the northeast, so I don't know how much I can speak to the cultural transition (I'm from the midwest, which is probably somewhere in between the NE and South culturally). But there are a TON of kids from the Northeast. Personally, I think Durham (and especially Duke) is a massive cultural bubble - you don't really feel like you're in the South until you get out more. I worked in Raleigh my 1L summer and that was when I actually started feeling like I was in the South (being around people almost exclusively from NC or have been here for over a decade) and TBH I was a little culture shocked. But nothing too serious and I really like it in NC - I'm planning on staying here. As far as the Duke culture, it depends a lot on where you go. Staying inside the law school itself, it's generally very collegial. True gunners are a rarity and people are pretty nice. I think we do a good job of attracting people who you don't feel are out to get you, though sometimes it's hard to shake the notion that you're directly competing against your classmates and close friends, but that's inevitable when there's a curve. The undergrad population is douchey beyond belief - I went to a similarly elite private school for undergrad and we didn't have anything quite like it. But most law students are fairly isolated from the undergrads.
Last edited by los blancos on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:49 pm

ncterp wrote:Any insight into how 2L OCI went this year and what the employment situation is looking like for 3Ls?

We won't know on a broad level for a while. I think you'll get better responses to this question once the dust settles in a couple of months and callback season is completely over. Before then, it'll all be anecdotal, and I believe less than 70% of us get our jobs through OCI anyways.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 pm

los blancos wrote:70%

If anywhere near 70% of your class gets jobs through OCI, well then, consider me jealous.

/jobless3Lbitching

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
los blancos wrote:70%

If anywhere near 70% of your class gets jobs through OCI, well then, consider me jealous.

/jobless3Lbitching

I went with a conservative/notsoconservative number because I wasn't sure. I'm fairly confident it's closer to 50-60% if not less.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Aren't the 1L memos due tomorrow? Shouldn't y'all be doing that? :P

About employment... it is kinda hard for me to answer how the class in general is doing. Jobs are something I at least don't really talk about. I know the situation for some of my friends, but most of even the people I talk to on a regular basis I couldn't say with 100% accuracy if they are employed or not. Of course, this may just be me. I have had people know I have a job who I swear I never talked to about it, so maybe I am just the anomaly who doesn't pay enough attention to other people's lives. The general feel I get is that though is that our class is doing slightly better than the class before us did, and that the 2Ls are doing better than we did. But again, I am probably not the best judge.

As for culture, I really like the law school. We DO have gunners, but not very many of the overly ambitious, cutthroat type. Most of our gunners are the exceedingly earnest, socially awkward type, which while I sometimes find grating are a lot easier to deal with.

On the subject of the undergrads... it is true that there are a lot of douches out there. A LOT. But there are also some good people, I know a couple undergrads I like. But again, on a daily basis you are likely going to be isolated from the undergrads so it is a non issue.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:32 pm

los blancos wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:Are any of you from, or do you know people from, the Northeast? What percentage of Dukies would you say are from that area? How's the transition to the south? Culturally speaking, could you speak broadly as to life at Duke?

I'm not from the northeast, so I don't know how much I can speak to the cultural transition (I'm from the midwest, which is probably somewhere in between the NE and South culturally). But there are a TON of kids from the Northeast. Personally, I think Durham (and especially Duke) is a massive cultural bubble - you don't really feel like you're in the South until you get out more. I worked in Raleigh my 1L summer and that was when I actually started feeling like I was in the South (being around people almost exclusively from NC or have been here for over a decade) and TBH I was a little culture shocked. But nothing too serious and I really like it in NC - I'm planning on staying here. As far as the Duke culture, it depends a lot on where you go. Staying inside the law school itself, it's generally very collegial. True gunners are a rarity and people are pretty nice. I think we do a good job of attracting people who you don't feel are out to get you, though sometimes it's hard to shake the notion that you're directly competing against your classmates and close friends, but that's inevitable when there's a curve. The undergrad population is douchey beyond belief - I went to a similarly elite private school for undergrad and we didn't have anything quite like it. But most law students are fairly isolated from the undergrads.

+1, Duke (and Durham) is southern in name only. The research triangle and the nearby schools attract people from all over the country, so your experience in Durham (and especially in Duke) probably won't match up with any preconceived notions of "the south." That said, Durham is a small city; so if your reference point is NYC, there's gonna be some culture shock simply by moving to a much smaller, more laid-back environment. FWIW, though, the people I know from the NE (and even from NYC/Boston) aren't having any difficulties adjusting. After all, the good majority of your daily routine/social life will revolve around Duke and the people you meet here. I imagine this is probably true for any law school. When you're not in class or studying, you're gonna be doing intramurals (bowling is awesome), going to bar review, participating in student clubs and organizations, or mostly doing things with your law school buddies.

But with that said, there's a lot to do around Durham, and lots of good place to eat. Definitely hit up a Durham Bulls game. And if you want a more "authentic" southern experience, head to Dane's Chicken and Waffles, which is absolutely fantastic.

I'll also second the opinion that Duke students are extremely collegial. I can honestly say that there are no gunners in my section (at least, not in the traditional "dominating class discussion/monopolizing office hours" sense). I didn't quite know what to expect coming here (my UG is decidedly non-elite), but I've been pleasantly surprised by the relaxed personality our class seems to possess.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:23 pm

BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!

It has begun.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Current students: anyone have experience with Charles (conlaw), Buell (crim), or Beskind (torts)? Haven't heard much about any of them. Feel free to PM. Thanks.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:07 pm

beachbum wrote:Current students: anyone have experience with Charles (conlaw), Buell (crim), or Beskind (torts)? Haven't heard much about any of them. Feel free to PM. Thanks.

I didn't have the other two, but Buell is great and I liked Crim so much that I'm taking Corporate Crime with him right now. I'm not sure I can give you specific pointers on how to prepare for that class because I didn't do especially well on that final and really I'm not sure what I would change in retrospect about the way I prepared for it.

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Another 1L here. Sorry I am late to the party. I am a non-traditional student so feel free to ask me any questions related to non-trads and Duke. Although I disappear from TLS for long periods of time when I am having fun, outlining for exams is starting in earnest. Fun and I have agreed to take a break from our relationship until after December 15th, so you can expect to see me around more.

Modus Ponens

Postby Modus Ponens » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Anyone have information on the reputation of Addington Farms or Alexan at South Square? They seem like a solid place for the cost.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Most students live in Addington, Alexan Garret Farms (not alexan at southquare) or at Pinnacle. Alexan Garret is the newest complex of the three, but very comparable to Addington. Pinnacle is a bit older, and you can notice this in the carpets, appliances and kitchen cabinets, as well as in the walls, but it is cheaper. I live in Alexan and it is def. worth its price.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:58 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Most students live in Addington, Alexan Garret Farms (not alexan at southquare) or at Pinnacle. Alexan Garret is the newest complex of the three, but very comparable to Addington. Pinnacle is a bit older, and you can notice this in the carpets, appliances and kitchen cabinets, as well as in the walls, but it is cheaper. I live in Alexan and it is def. worth its price.

I'm a Duke 0L starting in the Fall and due to work may not be able to get down to Durham until a week or two before school starts up.

Do these places fill up or can I pretty much just show up and there will be plenty of housing?

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 am

I think it would be a bad decision to wait until you get here a week before classes and look for an apartment. If you can't come before that, that's fine, but you should still pick a place and sign a lease over mail so that when you do get here you already have a place - they do get filled up pretty quick.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:08 pm

So, upperclassmen: any advice on picking classes? I want to go into transactional work, and I have a general idea of which classes I should take over the next 2 years, but I have no idea how to organize my course load, or which classes I'll realistically be able to take as a 2L.

So any suggestions? I definitely intend to do a journal, but otherwise I don't have any pressing commitments. And ideally, I don't want to kill myself with the workload.

shakespeareinlove

Postby shakespeareinlove » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:12 pm

What are the biggest negatives about Duke?

Also, can anyone speak about studying criminal law at Duke and the resources for job placement in that field?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 pm

shakespeareinlove wrote:What are the biggest negatives about Duke?

Also, can anyone speak about studying criminal law at Duke and the resources for job placement in that field?

You'll want to know these people:

http://www.law.duke.edu/fac/buell
http://www.law.duke.edu/fac/beale
http://www.law.duke.edu/fac/colemanj

You might even try emailing them now.

shakespeareinlove

Postby shakespeareinlove » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks!

So it's come down to Duke or Michigan. I'm having a really hard time making a decision. Has anyone faced the same dilema? Any thoughts are welcome.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:41 pm

shakespeareinlove wrote:Thanks!

So it's come down to Duke or Michigan. I'm having a really hard time making a decision. Has anyone faced the same dilema? Any thoughts are welcome.

Yeah I was picking between those two schools. Chose Duke. If you have specific questions you can PM me.

shakespeareinlove

Postby shakespeareinlove » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Do any current students have any info on the LRAP?

Alyosha

Postby Alyosha » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:09 am

Duke students, I have a quick question. I have to take the NY Barbri course on Duke's campus this summer and I'm wondering about parking over the summer. Do you just call the campus parking number to get a summer pass? Any cheaper options? Thanks.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Alyosha wrote:Duke students, I have a quick question. I have to take the NY Barbri course on Duke's campus this summer and I'm wondering about parking over the summer. Do you just call the campus parking number to get a summer pass? Any cheaper options? Thanks.

Hmm. I hadn't even thought of this happening.

There is a visitor parking lot half a block away that's $1/hr. I parked there most of 1L and 2L year and usually didn't bother paying. Got 2 tickets in that time, both of which were overturned.

All parking permits assigned to Duke Students for this year are good until August 15th, so you could somehow find a student who will have no need of theirs and have them add your car onto their account and send you the permit.

I'll still need mine or else I'd do it. Maybe some other Dukies reading this could help out.

sfxx

Postby sfxx » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:31 pm

how diverse is duke law? (general question, I know)

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Also, I'll toss it out there if anyone is reading this: I am selling a 3BR/2BA house about 10 min from campus. PM me if interested.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”