Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wonderfilled

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby wonderfilled » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:43 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:What is the consensus as who are the professors that you want and do not want for your 1L classes based on opinions of whatever Dukies are on TLS?

This. Specifically, any comments on DeMott, Purdy, Mock, and Sachs would be awesome.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I don't think there's any "consensus" on any teachers, really. Every prof I know has students who love them and students who didn't.

I doubt you're going to get many comments in a forum without anon, sorry.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:15 pm

wiseowl wrote:I don't think there's any "consensus" on any teachers, really. Every prof I know has students who love them and students who didn't.

I doubt you're going to get many comments in a forum without anon, sorry.

At least, not any candid negative remarks. People might say "I love _______" but no one is going to tell you if they actually don't like someone.

ohhailawschool

Postby ohhailawschool » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 am

Hey, not sure if there are any Duke students still out there! I am interested in the JD/MA program, but coming from undergrad, I'm not too jazzed to start school back up again just a few weeks after graduating due to the mandatory summer start. Just wondering if it is possible to decide you want to pursue the MA while enrolled? Do people do that, or is it really only for those students who applied with the intention of pursuing the dual degree?

Hope school has started off well for all of you!

etlien

Postby etlien » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 pm

ohhailawschool wrote:Hey, not sure if there are any Duke students still out there! I am interested in the JD/MA program, but coming from undergrad, I'm not too jazzed to start school back up again just a few weeks after graduating due to the mandatory summer start. Just wondering if it is possible to decide you want to pursue the MA while enrolled? Do people do that, or is it really only for those students who applied with the intention of pursuing the dual degree?

Hope school has started off well for all of you!

Yes. Not all JD/MA programs are created equal though so some are more flexible than others. Which one are you thinking about?

ohhailawschool

Postby ohhailawschool » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm super interested in the masters in Art History. Any chance I would be able to sneak in to the program if I decide I want to pursue it during 1L, or would that be a gamble? Thanks for your help!

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 am

ohhailawschool wrote:I'm super interested in the masters in Art History. Any chance I would be able to sneak in to the program if I decide I want to pursue it during 1L, or would that be a gamble? Thanks for your help!

Non-tax LLMs generally aren't helpful for future employment. Even if you're looking for personal development, I'd probably get it out of the way before law school.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:58 pm

quakeroats wrote:
ohhailawschool wrote:I'm super interested in the masters in Art History. Any chance I would be able to sneak in to the program if I decide I want to pursue it during 1L, or would that be a gamble? Thanks for your help!

Non-tax LLMs generally aren't helpful for future employment. Even if you're looking for personal development, I'd probably get it out of the way before law school.

It's not an LLM, it's an MA. There are several current students doing this that will work for museums, etc.

I think you can begin a masters once enrolled, but don't quote me on that.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Anyone know anything about a joint MA in English or the accelerated joint MBA/JD? The first would be for personal development, the second because I'm interested in business, too, careerwise, particularly going in-house.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:57 pm

wiseowl wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

It's not an LLM, it's an MA. There are several current students doing this that will work for museums, etc.

I think you can begin a masters once enrolled, but don't quote me on that.

You're right, but the general point still stands. Adding degrees to your JD isn't usually going to help you get a job, but it may make you look less serious if you're interested in firm work.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't think they add much, but I think the "less serious" is a little overblown.

If anything, it might increase your chances at a job, since if it's a four-year program you get two cracks at OCI.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:19 pm

wiseowl wrote:I don't think they add much, but I think the "less serious" is a little overblown.

If anything, it might increase your chances at a job, since if it's a four-year program you get two cracks at OCI.

You get 1.5 cracks at it from what I've heard. A guy doing a JD/MBA said most of his OCI interviews ended within 5 minutes as soon as it came out that he was taking another year.

etlien

Postby etlien » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm

I know one 1L JD/MA in Art History and she seems to enjoy it. She did say the courseload is a little intense so she is doing a summer institute even though she doesn't have to. I think they would let you in, but it might be challenging to finish without the summer start...

ohhailawschool

Postby ohhailawschool » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 am

That totally makes sense. I suppose I just need to decide!

Thank you so much for your help!

etlien

Postby etlien » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:48 am

ohhailawschool wrote:That totally makes sense. I suppose I just need to decide!

Thank you so much for your help!

I am a summer starter and I can't advocate enough for summer start. Most of us feel like getting settled in early and getting used to law school early has been hugely beneficial. We don't really care much about our other degree to be honest, especially the JD/LLMs. The only downside of summer start is that in the summer semester, you get graded on a curve with other summer starters who tend to be go getters.

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Sorry to bump my post, but anyone have any specific thoughts on a JD/MA of English? As I mentioned before, it would be purely for personal enrichment.

If I decide to go the practical route, I might try to get into the accelerated JD/MBA program because I come from a business background and would like to potentially go in-house or start my own company down the line after exploring the law field first. Ideally, I will clerk out of law school, if I do well. I am a deferred member of the Class of 2015 Duke Law school, so I think I'd just need to take the GMAT and submit those two essays. I have 3 years of business work experience. Anyone know what kind of GMAT I'd likely need to be accepted?

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:44 pm

whitman wrote:Sorry to bump my post, but anyone have any specific thoughts on a JD/MA of English? As I mentioned before, it would be purely for personal enrichment.

I don't think I have ever met anyone with a JD/MA English, so it is hard for me to comment specifically about the combination. However, I do know a few people with MAs in English, and I am getting a JD, so by combining those sources of data I think I can confidently say that this would involve an astronomical amount of reading. Like, take the amount of reading you are thinking would be absurd and double it.

Also, I think switching from legal analysis to literary criticism would make me lose my mind. The logic of the two is so different that it seems like it would be challenging to develop both at the same time.

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:05 pm

masochist wrote:
whitman wrote:Sorry to bump my post, but anyone have any specific thoughts on a JD/MA of English? As I mentioned before, it would be purely for personal enrichment.

I don't think I have ever met anyone with a JD/MA English, so it is hard for me to comment specifically about the combination. However, I do know a few people with MAs in English, and I am getting a JD, so by combining those sources of data I think I can confidently say that this would involve an astronomical amount of reading. Like, take the amount of reading you are thinking would be absurd and double it.

Also, I think switching from legal analysis to literary criticism would make me lose my mind. The logic of the two is so different that it seems like it would be challenging to develop both at the same time.

Thanks masochist. So your take, basically, is that I'd have to be, well, a masochist to do it? Damn...I'm not.

masochist

Postby masochist » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm

whitman wrote:
masochist wrote:

Thanks masochist. So your take, basically, is that I'd have to be, well, a masochist to do it? Damn...I'm not.

Actually, yes. :D

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:22 am

Another 1L here answering questions

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:36 am

DorianGray89 wrote:Another 1L here answering questions

Well, given that the original 1L is a 3L...welcome! You're officially in charge!

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:14 am

work on your memo 1l 8)

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:28 am

We all a need a distraction from memo writing

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 am

Another 1L checking in, ready to impart my wisdom.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 am

Are any of you from, or do you know people from, the Northeast? What percentage of Dukies would you say are from that area? How's the transition to the south? Culturally speaking, could you speak broadly as to life at Duke?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”