Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wiseowl

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby wiseowl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 pm

You can do pro bono outside of a clinic, there is a list of placements that go out in the fall. Some students pledge to do 50 hours before they graduate. I did pro bono last year working with kids and it was enjoyable, but I did nothing "officially" legal. I didn't do any this year. I probably need to do about 30 hours next year to fulfill the pledge.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 pm

wiseowl wrote:You can do pro bono outside of a clinic, there is a list of placements that go out in the fall. Some students pledge to do 50 hours before they graduate. I did pro bono last year working with kids and it was enjoyable, but I did nothing "officially" legal. I didn't do any this year. I probably need to do about 30 hours next year to fulfill the pledge.

The pledge is what specifically prompted me to ask that question, as was Duke's big focus on pro bono hours/clinics/student involvement in the latest brochure they sent me.

Honestly, the constant flow of magazines and brochures from Duke has me excited and a little anxious. Maybe I'm reading too far into them, but the materials really make it seem like Duke students are constantly involved in things outside of class. And while I certainly plan to join a club or two (looking at the Business Law Society) and volunteer every once in a while, I want to, well, relax a little bit when I'm not in class or studying. Teaching the local kids how to play rugby and building houses for the poor are great and honorable things to do, but I feel like I'm probably gonna need some time to de-stress, hit the gym, and just hang out. Hopefully I'm not crazy for feeling this way.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 pm

there's not really pressure to do stuff. you'll find things you gravitate to. you should do a thing or two tangible outside just to give interviewers something to grab on to.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:09 pm

wiseowl wrote:there's not really pressure to do stuff. you'll find things you gravitate to. you should do a thing or two tangible outside just to give interviewers something to grab on to.

Yeah, this is what I was hoping for. Thanks.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:38 am

beachbum wrote:
wiseowl wrote:You can do pro bono outside of a clinic, there is a list of placements that go out in the fall. Some students pledge to do 50 hours before they graduate. I did pro bono last year working with kids and it was enjoyable, but I did nothing "officially" legal. I didn't do any this year. I probably need to do about 30 hours next year to fulfill the pledge.

The pledge is what specifically prompted me to ask that question, as was Duke's big focus on pro bono hours/clinics/student involvement in the latest brochure they sent me.

Honestly, the constant flow of magazines and brochures from Duke has me excited and a little anxious. Maybe I'm reading too far into them, but the materials really make it seem like Duke students are constantly involved in things outside of class. And while I certainly plan to join a club or two (looking at the Business Law Society) and volunteer every once in a while, I want to, well, relax a little bit when I'm not in class or studying. Teaching the local kids how to play rugby and building houses for the poor are great and honorable things to do, but I feel like I'm probably gonna need some time to de-stress, hit the gym, and just hang out. Hopefully I'm not crazy for feeling this way.

As wiseowl said, you can pick the level of involvement that you want. I'm fairly lazy when it comes to out-of-class school stuff (I typically stick to a 8-5 type work schedule and then hit the gym and go home and chill out), but I've gotten plugged in with a couple of things here and there. I think the main thing is that you'll never have to feel like you need to hunt for these opportunities. Stuff is constantly presented to everyone through the Duke Law Daily emails, the DBA e-mails, and people talking about what they're doing extracurricularly.

tlslsnlsp

Postby tlslsnlsp » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 am

Do the LLMs take classes with 1Ls? If so, do they affect the curve at all? What's the level of interaction with LLMs?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:36 pm

tlslsnlsp wrote:Do the LLMs take classes with 1Ls? If so, do they affect the curve at all? What's the level of interaction with LLMs?

They're in a section together and mostly stick to themselves. Classes are curved only against other people in that particular class. They'll only affect the curve insofar as they're in a class with you.

rockiesbrit

Postby rockiesbrit » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:03 am

Any sort of rugby on offer at Duke? I'm a Brit so would be keen to play if possible

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:35 am

rockiesbrit wrote:Any sort of rugby on offer at Duke? I'm a Brit so would be keen to play if possible

http://ondemand.duke.edu/video/24466/du ... by-project

mikey101

Postby mikey101 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:27 pm

Does anyone know around when 0Ls (non summer starters) find out what section they're in?

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

Can anyone comment on placement in LA? No ties to the city, but would solid grades make an unpaid 1L position and 2L big law SA a possibility? Duke leads the T14 schools I've been accepted to in west coast placement, but I'm trying to ascertain how well Duke can place in LA without ties.

Thanks!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 pm

TUP wrote:Can anyone comment on placement in LA? No ties to the city, but would solid grades make an unpaid 1L position and 2L big law SA a possibility? Duke leads the T14 schools I've been accepted to in west coast placement, but I'm trying to ascertain how well Duke can place in LA without ties.

Thanks!

Take this with a grain of salt, but the impression I've gotten from fellow students/career people has been that if you can find a way to get some sort of unpaid 1L position in SoCal, you'll have the "ties" you need for 2L OCI. I applied to a few positions in SoCal and had I pushed harder I think I could've gotten something; an opportunity with a DA's office even came up after I had already accepted a position elsewhere. Your mileage may vary, but I don't think it's a bad place to be at all. From what people have told me, SF is tougher to break into than LA.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:37 pm

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but how difficult is it to get on law review, or at least a good secondary journal? Do most students participate in/finish the casenote competition? Are a lot of students on journals?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:51 pm

beachbum wrote:I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but how difficult is it to get on law review, or at least a good secondary journal? Do most students participate in/finish the casenote competition? Are a lot of students on journals?

I think DLJ takes about 40 people a year, and of the secondary journals (there are many and a lot of people are on journals) "Law and Contemporary Problems" is probably the most highly regarded (pretty sure it's been around even longer than DLJ). That being said, for secondary journals I would say you should be looking at your interest areas, the workload, and side benefits (e.g., Alaska Law review gets questions in interviews and possibly a free trip to Alaska, Tech offers the ability to publish a short piece, etc.).

itimgtd

Postby itimgtd » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for those who are answering questions. Can someone give me an estimate of how much money per month I will be paying for a simple 1 bdrm conveniently located with relatively mature tenants (aka no music blasting at 3am)? Is 750~1000 a month a good estimate?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:27 pm

itimgtd wrote:Thanks for those who are answering questions. Can someone give me an estimate of how much money per month I will be paying for a simple 1 bdrm conveniently located with relatively mature tenants (aka no music blasting at 3am)? Is 750~1000 a month a good estimate?

Depends on what you mean by "conveniently located", but yeah that's a fair estimate for a fairly nice place.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 pm

any duke students care to comment on the drop in the NLJ placement statistics? Do you guys believe it was a one year thing, or do you expect it to hover around 40% for a few years?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:any duke students care to comment on the drop in the NLJ placement statistics? Do you guys believe it was a one year thing, or do you expect it to hover around 40% for a few years?

Once the south got decimated, Duke's numbers were going to drop faster than a one-trick pony school like Cornell or NU. Numbers should improve as the southern markets improve and/or students start targeting NY more.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

wiseowl wrote:or students start targeting NY more.

:oops:

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

So if I'm aiming for the west coast, NY, or DC, then I shouldn't worry too much about the drop?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:58 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

there should have been a lot more explicit advice to bid NY, thats for sure.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm

wiseowl wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

do you usually do your summer internship in the city that matches your ultimate offer, or just for the firm in general? If yes, do they pay for travel and housing?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

do you usually do your summer internship in the city that matches your ultimate offer, or just for the firm in general? If yes, do they pay for travel and housing?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but these days I'd say most people are doing summer in the office they will end up in, unless the firm says it up front. Your salary pays travel and housing for the summer; there arent relocation stipends or something.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm

wiseowl wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but these days I'd say most people are doing summer in the office they will end up in, unless the firm says it up front. Your salary pays travel and housing for the summer; there arent relocation stipends or something.

that's what I was asking. Thanks

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”