Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm

If I get the LSAT score I need, rest assured I'll have plenty of questions. As of now, I just don't want to get my hopes up. Thanks for trying, though.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby observationalist » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 am

Any reports yet on how OCI is faring for 2Ls right now? And by reports I mean stats, like % of the class with offers? I'm sure that's something prospective students want to know from all schools right now, but at least Duke has a reputation for disclosure. You're one of just two law schools that release full employment lists showing where 2Ls and graduates find work. Transparency is a quality more prospectives should be weighing when they make their decisions, and one that I hope Duke continues. Keep up the good work, 1L... I'm sure prospectives will come here to bother you once they get accepted.

On a more important note, are students planning a field trip to the opening night of the Tucker Max flick?

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby actorlaw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 am

What are living conditions like in the Durham area? Particularly housing.

I know crime has been an issue in the past couple of years for the Durham area. Is safety much of an issue around the campus?

How often do professors' politics arise in class?



I'm sure I'll have more later...

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:20 am

observationalist wrote:Any reports yet on how OCI is faring for 2Ls right now? And by reports I mean stats, like % of the class with offers? I'm sure that's something prospective students want to know from all schools right now, but at least Duke has a reputation for disclosure. You're one of just two law schools that release full employment lists showing where 2Ls and graduates find work. Transparency is a quality more prospectives should be weighing when they make their decisions, and one that I hope Duke continues.


You know, I haven't seen any numbers yet, although some anecdotes I've heard suggest the placement is probably about where you'd think it would be. It sounds very "meh" if you catch my drift. Not like people weren't getting callbacks or offers, but the basic message I got from people I have talked to is that it's just not how it was a few years back, and this year's 2L and 3L classes seem to have it exceptionally tough.


observationalist wrote:Keep up the good work, 1L... I'm sure prospectives will come here to bother you once they get accepted.

On a more important note, are students planning a field trip to the opening night of the Tucker Max flick?


Haha I'm sure I can think of at least one buddy who is.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:26 am

actorlaw wrote:What are living conditions like in the Durham area? Particularly housing.

Pretty good. There are lots of options, although it seems like almost everyone lives in the same complex. Also, rent is cheap, which is more amazing when you hear what your friends in NY and LA are paying.

actorlaw wrote:I know crime has been an issue in the past couple of years for the Durham area. Is safety much of an issue around the campus?

It seems fine to me so far. There are some crimes you hear about, but the campus and most of the spots where you'd want to hang out seem safe enough to me. With that being said, there is apparently a fair amount of crime in Durham, but I haven't been around enough to find the crappy spots yet.

actorlaw wrote:How often do professors' politics arise in class?

Haven't seen it yet. I think my professors seem to take more of a devil's advocate approach than a partisan one.

actorlaw wrote:I'm sure I'll have more later...

I'll be around.

User avatar
PhillyFan09
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby PhillyFan09 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:24 am

Will you be attending any basketball games this year?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am

PhillyFan09 wrote:Will you be attending any basketball games this year?


Yes, many. Also look up the Duke graduate campout (I think that's the name). It was a blast.

taylor
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby taylor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 am

Why did you choose Duke over its peer schools, or why would you recommend someone to choose Duke?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 am

taylor wrote:Why did you choose Duke over its peer schools, or why would you recommend someone to choose Duke?


Well, among other things, I got a sweet deal ($-wise) and it was also the highest-ranked school that I got into. I don't want it to seem like this was the only determining factor in my decision, as I was considering some other schools, but these things are both relatively important in the end.

On the other hand, there were a lot of things about Duke that were very impressive to me and made my decision much much easier. Compared to at least one of their peer schools, my visit here was much friendlier, at least in terms of the "feel" of the place and the people. I'm not sure if it's because we're a pretty small law school (another thing I liked about the place) or because the South tends to attract a certain type of law student, but either way the personalities are one of my favorite things about the place so far. There are also some good academic options here as well. There are plenty of joint degree programs, a few of which I'm considering (see above posts) and we're apparently pretty flexible about taking classes elsewhere in the university.

One thing about this place that really impressed me when I visited was career services as well. As one of the above posters alluded to, the career folks here seem to be about as straight-shooting as they come. At the ASW last year, we were provided with full lists of career placements (not sure if it was summer placements, graduates, or both...if someone else could confirm, I want to say it was both), and I had a great conversation with their staff (where they were not afraid to give me both positive and negative feedback). We were also given lists of positions people in the classes above us held in public interest positions during their previous summer. Very supportive, honest folks all around, both in the regular career services office and the public interest and pro bono office.

Hmm let's see...fantastic professors, good weather......I'll be back in a sec when I remember more. But this place is awesome. And we are not douches.

User avatar
hyunseoki
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby hyunseoki » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 am

Do you know of anyone pursuing a joint degree (JD/LLM, to be specific). I'm very interested in international/comparative law, and felt that the JD/LLM program would be an excellent opportunity for me to study a specific area. Any general response would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:21 am

hyunseoki wrote:Do you know of anyone pursuing a joint degree (JD/LLM, to be specific). I'm very interested in international/comparative law, and felt that the JD/LLM program would be an excellent opportunity for me to study a specific area. Any general response would be greatly appreciated.



Yes, I know a ton of folks. I'm not in the program myself, but it seems like everyone in it is very enthusiastic about it. I do know that you also get to take an upper level court or two during the first year (International Law I think?). We also have had some decent speakers on the topic at the university this semester who are pretty good - John Bolton at the law school today, actually, since it's on my mind. Like I mentioned, it seems like the school is pretty good with the joint degrees, but I don't have too much personal experience with it. Haha...that's more of an ongoing inquiry for me.

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby aer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
hyunseoki wrote:Do you know of anyone pursuing a joint degree (JD/LLM, to be specific). I'm very interested in international/comparative law, and felt that the JD/LLM program would be an excellent opportunity for me to study a specific area. Any general response would be greatly appreciated.



Yes, I know a ton of folks. I'm not in the program myself, but it seems like everyone in it is very enthusiastic about it. I do know that you also get to take an upper level court or two during the first year (International Law I think?). We also have had some decent speakers on the topic at the university this semester who are pretty good - John Bolton at the law school today, actually, since it's on my mind. Like I mentioned, it seems like the school is pretty good with the joint degrees, but I don't have too much personal experience with it. Haha...that's more of an ongoing inquiry for me.


I'm a 1L joint degree student so I am in the same section as the JD/LLM folks. From what I have heard about the program, the coolest part of it is that they spend half of their summer after the 1L year in either Geneva or Hong Kong taking classes. This also allows them to network with firms that practice in these areas.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:43 am

aer wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
hyunseoki wrote:Do you know of anyone pursuing a joint degree (JD/LLM, to be specific). I'm very interested in international/comparative law, and felt that the JD/LLM program would be an excellent opportunity for me to study a specific area. Any general response would be greatly appreciated.



Yes, I know a ton of folks. I'm not in the program myself, but it seems like everyone in it is very enthusiastic about it. I do know that you also get to take an upper level court or two during the first year (International Law I think?). We also have had some decent speakers on the topic at the university this semester who are pretty good - John Bolton at the law school today, actually, since it's on my mind. Like I mentioned, it seems like the school is pretty good with the joint degrees, but I don't have too much personal experience with it. Haha...that's more of an ongoing inquiry for me.


I'm a 1L joint degree student so I am in the same section as the JD/LLM folks. From what I have heard about the program, the coolest part of it is that they spend half of their summer after the 1L year in either Geneva or Hong Kong taking classes. This also allows them to network with firms that practice in these areas.


haha nice follow up

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby aer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:49 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
aer wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
hyunseoki wrote:Do you know of anyone pursuing a joint degree (JD/LLM, to be specific). I'm very interested in international/comparative law, and felt that the JD/LLM program would be an excellent opportunity for me to study a specific area. Any general response would be greatly appreciated.



Yes, I know a ton of folks. I'm not in the program myself, but it seems like everyone in it is very enthusiastic about it. I do know that you also get to take an upper level court or two during the first year (International Law I think?). We also have had some decent speakers on the topic at the university this semester who are pretty good - John Bolton at the law school today, actually, since it's on my mind. Like I mentioned, it seems like the school is pretty good with the joint degrees, but I don't have too much personal experience with it. Haha...that's more of an ongoing inquiry for me.


I'm a 1L joint degree student so I am in the same section as the JD/LLM folks. From what I have heard about the program, the coolest part of it is that they spend half of their summer after the 1L year in either Geneva or Hong Kong taking classes. This also allows them to network with firms that practice in these areas.


haha nice follow up


Thanks.

lz06
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby lz06 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:48 am

What don't you like about Duke? and what schools were you considering other than Duke?

User avatar
KaraThrace
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby KaraThrace » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:53 pm

What is the dating life like? Do people actually date, or is it more random-hookups? Are people friendly?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby Cupidity » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:59 pm

I'm from around UF, and one reason that school is automatically off the list, is its massive and invasive undergrad. I know on paper Duke is simmilar, big undergrad with massive sports--but how do they actually impact your life? Is the law school pretty seperate and distinct, are there bars/clubs you can frequent without running into the 18-20 yr olds with fake ID's acting unbearable?

User avatar
KaraThrace
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:39 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby KaraThrace » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 pm

One other question: what's the political climate like amongst students? Conservative, liberal, somewhere in between? Apolitical?

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby Kretzy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm

KaraThrace wrote:One other question: what's the political climate like amongst students? Conservative, liberal, somewhere in between? Apolitical?


Along this line, what about LGBT tolerance/acceptance? I don't envision a huge gay community at Duke, but I've had some friends say Duke Law is really open and some say it's pretty homophobic. Any thoughts would be pretty helpful, thanks.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 am

lz06 wrote:What don't you like about Duke? and what schools were you considering other than Duke?

In truth, there's not a lot I don't like about Duke, aside from the contracts reading I still have to finish tonight. I suppose the lack of a decent bike route from my house to school, and the relatively slim offerings in Asian and Mexican food (relative to the Bay Area) are probably what have bothered me the most.

Other than Duke, I was probably considering Vanderbilt, William & Mary, Illinois, and maybe Washington & Lee the most. I think I have a LSN account linked up in my profile, but basically, Duke was the best bang for my buck, the top ranked of the bunch, and damn impressive in terms of what I was talking about above.

KaraThrace wrote:What is the dating life like? Do people actually date, or is it more random-hookups? Are people friendly?

I feel like there is a bit of a mix going on, somewhere between the hookups and dating, but I really don't know because I haven't been partaking. Basically any opinion on dating that I have right now is pure speculation. On a related note, I have been trolling a teeny bit about the attractiveness of our student population in one of the recent threads about that subject.

But yes, people are incredibly friendly in general. Might be the smallish size of the law school, might be because it's a T14, might be because we aren't all spread out across a big city - I can't say for sure. But I do know that I'm enjoying the company of my classmates quite a bit.

Cupidity wrote:I'm from around UF, and one reason that school is automatically off the list, is its massive and invasive undergrad. I know on paper Duke is simmilar, big undergrad with massive sports--but how do they actually impact your life? Is the law school pretty seperate and distinct, are there bars/clubs you can frequent without running into the 18-20 yr olds with fake ID's acting unbearable?

Two points to be made here. First, I think we have only about 6,000 undergrads, which I believe is similar to our graduate student population and much lower than the UF undergrad population. Second, aside from the random ATL survey that declares us to be douches, neither the undergrads nor Tucker Max affect us very much. As far as I know, there is only one bar in town that is uber-undergraddy...and you should probably see the spectacle at least a few times if you end up here. I tend not to think they're very bad though, maybe because I like to think that I've seen worse.

I should also mention that I love the fact that we have DI sports here (came from small D2 public school).

Edit: We have a $#itload of UF people here.

KaraThrace wrote:One other question: what's the political climate like amongst students? Conservative, liberal, somewhere in between? Apolitical?

Seems somewhere in between to me. I couldn't even tell you which way we were leaning yet. But we definitely aren't apolitical. I've seen a few spontaneous debates already, as well as a John Bolton speech, and John Bolton getting asked some pointed questions at a speech. I haven't met anyone with a "who cares?" attitude about politics yet.

Kretzy wrote:Along this line, what about LGBT tolerance/acceptance? I don't envision a huge gay community at Duke, but I've had some friends say Duke Law is really open and some say it's pretty homophobic. Any thoughts would be pretty helpful, thanks.

I tend to think it falls in the middle, as with the politics. People generally don't seem to have issues with LGBTs, but it's definitely not like home (Bay Area) where people sort of knew who was gay. With that being said, I haven't seen anything homophobic at all, although I was commenting the other day to a friend about how people have seemed to keep these things private so far. At the same time it could be because we are all new here and people aren't quite comfortable talking about their sexuality with new classmates yet. In sum, it seems pretty average to me.

blahblewblah
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby blahblewblah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Any recommendations on which of these classes to sit in on a visit?

* Contracts (Prof. Paul Haagen) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4042
* Contracts (Prof. Barak Richman) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday, Room 4047
* Civil Procedure (Prof. Guy-Uriel Charles) 11:05 a.m.-12:05 p.m. Monday-Friday, Room 3037
(Does not meet September 14, October 23, and November 5, 6, 9.)
* Constitutional Law (Prof. Ernest Young), 1:30-2:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4047


Thanks!

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:47 pm

blahblewblah wrote:Any recommendations on which of these classes to sit in on a visit?

* Contracts (Prof. Paul Haagen) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4042
* Contracts (Prof. Barak Richman) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday, Room 4047
* Civil Procedure (Prof. Guy-Uriel Charles) 11:05 a.m.-12:05 p.m. Monday-Friday, Room 3037
(Does not meet September 14, October 23, and November 5, 6, 9.)
* Constitutional Law (Prof. Ernest Young), 1:30-2:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4047


Thanks!


I'll tell you that each of those should be pretty good. I have Charles for civpro, and he is fantastic in my opinion, but my friends have said very nice things about the others as well. I would say all of these are wins. If you're interested in a particular subject or professor (if you pull up their faculty pages, you can get some info) I would choose that class. But yeah, civpro w/ Charles = pretty good. Occasional hilarity in there as well.

User avatar
TrampsLikeU$
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby TrampsLikeU$ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:59 pm

blahblewblah wrote:Any recommendations on which of these classes to sit in on a visit?

* Contracts (Prof. Paul Haagen) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4042
* Contracts (Prof. Barak Richman) 8:45-9:45 a.m. Monday/Wednesday/Thursday, Room 4047
* Civil Procedure (Prof. Guy-Uriel Charles) 11:05 a.m.-12:05 p.m. Monday-Friday, Room 3037
(Does not meet September 14, October 23, and November 5, 6, 9.)
* Constitutional Law (Prof. Ernest Young), 1:30-2:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Room 4047


Thanks!


Go to Barak Richman's Contracts class. He is incredibly entertaining and, from what I hear, a great teacher.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby insidethetwenty » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:48 pm

Bumping, because I have questions.

I'm visiting in a couple of weeks. What should I do while I'm in town? Who should I talk to while I'm there? Do any of the Duke students on here own a house/condo? Do you know anyone who does? What are the "good" parts of town or of the Triangle area?

Oh, and I hope all of you had a successful exam-time.

Thanks in advance!

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby aer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 am

insidethetwenty wrote:I'm visiting in a couple of weeks. What should I do while I'm in town?


This depends a lot on what you are into. If you enjoy nature then the Duke forest, the Duke gardens and Eno State Park are places you should see. For the bar scene, if you are looking for places to just sit around and drink beer with friends then I would recommend Alivia's, the Federal or James Joyce. All of those are in Brightleaf. Satisfactions is across the street from those places and has a bit of a fratty sports bar feel. If you want to go dancing go to Chapel Hill. For coffee shops I tend to go to Francesca's and Bean Traders on ninth street. Both have free wireless.
insidethetwenty wrote:Who should I talk to while I'm there?
!


Not sure. I really only visited during ASWs.

insidethetwenty wrote:Do any of the Duke students on here own a house/condo? Do you know anyone who does?


As far as I know none of the TLSers own their own place, but I don't know who everyone is, so I may be wrong there. There is one person in my section that bought a house for law school.

insidethetwenty wrote: What are the "good" parts of town or of the Triangle area?


Most of the Triangle is actually pretty nice. There are a few parts of Durham that are noticeably poor and have higher crime rates. These areas tend to be to the east of Duke's campus.

I hope this helps.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Poplar7spruce and 1 guest