Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bosque

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm

mikey101 wrote:This thread's great! Thanks to the current Duke students for taking questions. This question may be most appropriate for 2Ls and 3Ls who have gone through OCI but I was wondering if you think Duke is worth sticker? I really love the school and am thinking of switching to ED Round II but I'm still hesitant to lock myself into so much debt. Thanks a bunch!

2L here. I'd say it is generally worth sticker (although even with ED, I bet you will get at least a small scholarship), although it depends at least in part on what you want to do of course. Where do you want to be, what do you want to practice, and who do you want to work for? The answers to those questions would help me answer your question more effectively (and maybe give some advice on how to get there).

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Bosque wrote:
mikey101 wrote:This thread's great! Thanks to the current Duke students for taking questions. This question may be most appropriate for 2Ls and 3Ls who have gone through OCI but I was wondering if you think Duke is worth sticker? I really love the school and am thinking of switching to ED Round II but I'm still hesitant to lock myself into so much debt. Thanks a bunch!

2L here. I'd say it is generally worth sticker (although even with ED, I bet you will get at least a small scholarship), although it depends at least in part on what you want to do of course. Where do you want to be, what do you want to practice, and who do you want to work for? The answers to those questions would help me answer your question more effectively (and maybe give some advice on how to get there).

Wait, Duke gives scholarships to ED applicants? I always assumed that the binding contract pretty much guarantees sticker price at most schools. I can't imagine Duke would pay for my GPA (I'd be ecstatic just to get in), but now I'm curious. Can you elaborate further?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

beachbum wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Wait, Duke gives scholarships to ED applicants? I always assumed that the binding contract pretty much guarantees sticker price at most schools. I can't imagine Duke would pay for my GPA (I'd be ecstatic just to get in), but now I'm curious. Can you elaborate further?

Didn't say it was going to be big. But they might throw you a small scholarship (like, $6,000 total or something like that) based on need.

If you have any assets, than this is of course probably not going to happen.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Bosque wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Didn't say it was going to be big. But they might throw you a small scholarship (like, $6,000 total or something like that) based on need.

Right on, I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks for the heads up, and hope to see you in Durham next year.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:14 pm

beachbum wrote:
Bosque wrote:
beachbum wrote:This thread's great! Thanks to the current Duke students for taking questions. This question may be most appropriate for 2Ls and 3Ls who have gone through OCI but I was wondering if you think Duke is worth sticker? I really love the school and am thinking of switching to ED Round II but I'm still hesitant to lock myself into so much debt. Thanks a bunch!

Right on, I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks for the heads up, and hope to see you in Durham next year.

I saw an ED applicant get 50k last cycle, although his/her numbers were higher than you'd expect from a typical ED applicant.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 pm

quakeroats wrote:I saw an ED applicant get 50k last cycle, although his/her numbers were higher than you'd expect from a typical ED applicant.

Let us guess who it is. What fun!

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who has been answering questions in this thread!

I'm really warming to Duke, but coming for the west coast I have a lot of friends and family who really see it as kind of a 'white-elite' type of place where especially a non-urm minority like myself would really stick out. Basically I think their vision of Duke is rooted in the lacrosse scandal. I'm open minded enough to realize that this view is probably seriously misguided and biased but I wanted to ask the viewpoint of people who go there. I guess I dont have a specific question, but curious what you think of Duke's general rep.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Non-issue. People are down-to-earth.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:22 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Non-issue. People are down-to-earth.

This^, though I would say that the law school is very white demographically, especially when compared to the undergrad population. Hopefully they'll do a better job recruiting URMs this year.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm

los blancos wrote:

This^, though I would say that the law school is very white demographically, especially when compared to the undergrad population. Hopefully they'll do a better job recruiting URMs this year.

I think we're something like 20% non-white at the law school.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:34 pm

tag

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 pm

los blancos wrote:

Just realized how your name goes well with the Duke student population.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:48 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Just realized how your name goes well with the Duke student population.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZsmKZ9Rjw

"Nice catch blanco nino, but too bad your ass got saaaaaacked."

Eyetalian

Postby Eyetalian » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

I am torn between schools on the east coast like Duke and UVA and schools on the west coast like Berkeley and UCLA. I live in NJ now but would like to work in Cali.

What are the west coast employment/recruiting prospects like for Duke students? Do a lot of LA firms come to campus?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 am

V8, you want to take this one?

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 am

thickfreakness wrote:"Nice catch blanco nino, but too bad your ass got saaaaaacked."

Hahahahaha!

Porkchop Sandwiches!!!!

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Shooter wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:"Nice catch blanco nino, but too bad your ass got saaaaaacked."

Hahahahaha!

Porkchop Sandwiches!!!!

Last one there's a penis pump!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Eyetalian wrote:I am torn between schools on the east coast like Duke and UVA and schools on the west coast like Berkeley and UCLA. I live in NJ now but would like to work in Cali.

What are the west coast employment/recruiting prospects like for Duke students? Do a lot of LA firms come to campus?

Bosque wrote:V8, you want to take this one?

Bosque - sure thing, although admittedly my "expertise" is more Bay Area oriented.

Couple of things for ya Eyetalian.

First, common wisdom is that for California and the West Coast generally, connections of some sort are very important. My understanding is that San Francisco in particular is notorious for this. With that being said, I have seen at least one person (really, probably two) with zero connections to California network like MAD and get a good firm gig in Palo Alto.

Second, rumor has it that around 10% of all Duke Law alums are in California. I can't verify that figure, but I feel like I heard it from a reputable source. Take that with a grain of salt though, because (a) we're pretty small, (b) we used to be smaller, (c) California is huge and populous, and (d) a ton of people from other schools try to get to California.

Third, I'll touch on a beef (one of few to be honest) that I have with the law school. A very significant portion of our school is from California or attempting to work there. Yet - and this is for a number of very reasonable reasons - there are not very many firms with significant California offices at OCI, relative to the number of people trying to get there. Probably half of the firms that do show up are, for lack of a better way of stating it, extremely fancy firms that maybe 10-20% of the California folks even have a shot at. The upside to this is that Duke and UVA host an annual OCI-style event in LA. The downside of that is that you only get a few firms with LA offices to show up.

Lastly, I'll say that, even given the issue I have with OCI bidding options, the Duke name travels very well and can earn you some interviews if you're willing to hustle. I haven't been able to turn any into a job yet, but I've received close to a half-dozen callbacks (Edit - yeah I know, total aspie yadda yadda yadda), only one of which was through OCI. So the take away is that you have to hustle for your work in California, although that's true pretty much at any school you go to outside of the particular California metro area that you eventually want to work in. Duke is generally going to open more doors for you, but without connections to California, you're probably going to have to do something to establish a presence where you want to work. Duke or UVA can allow you to do that, but USC or UCLA have a physical advantage (that is, if you're looking at LA). The thing with the more local schools is that networking and traveling to meet people is going to be easier, while Duke and UVA should open doors more broadly, and generally be very well-received anywhere you go.

TLDR: Either way, you're going to have to work hard for a California job.

Eyetalian

Postby Eyetalian » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Does you find it's much easier for Duke students to find biglaw jobs in NYC rather than CA?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Eyetalian wrote:Does you find it's much easier for Duke students to find biglaw jobs in NYC rather than CA?

Yes, although my feeling is that that's going to be true at most schools. New York is just a massive market.

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:22 pm

did anyone here attend admitted student events? was it worth it? I've never been to the campus before and I'm coming from the west coast, so I feel like I should get a sense of the place before I make a commitment.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm

QuailMan wrote:did anyone here attend admitted student events? was it worth it? I've never been to the campus before and I'm coming from the west coast, so I feel like I should get a sense of the place before I make a commitment.

ASW sealed the deal for me. Strongly recommend visiting the ASW (failing that, a regular visit) of any school you're considering attending.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Overall attractiveness of the Duke Law student population?
Overall nerdiness of the Duke Law student population?
(not mutually exclusive)

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Haven't read through all the pages of this thread, so please excuse me if this has been asked: how is the environment in terms of competitiveness? For some reason I have the idea that Duke involves a strong feeling of competition and is somewhat gunnerish. I'm not sure why I have that impression but wondering if it is at all true.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Last edited by DallasCowboy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”