Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cavebat2000

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Duke 1L here trying to relax between exam study. I can take over... for a while.

BTW. Exams are amazingly relaxed around here. Was pretty awesome after Torts exam on Monday, nearly our entire section went out to eat together and then a bunch of us went to play basketball afterward.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that Duke Law is an anomaly in the law school world. Though there might be a few other schools that are as chill, I bet there aren't very many that aren't located in New Haven, CT or Palo Alto, CA.

Kind of helps you stay sane when your classmates aren't all going nuts.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Tagged.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 pm

los blancos wrote:Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that Duke Law is an anomaly in the law school world. Though there might be a few other schools that are as chill, I bet there aren't very many that aren't located in New Haven, CT or Palo Alto, CA.

Kind of helps you stay sane when your classmates aren't all going nuts.

bullshit. New Haven and Palo Alto don't have Dame's Chicken and Waffles.

Phila2014

Postby Phila2014 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 am

Bosque wrote:I am waiting for a plane to go back to Duke right now, so I will try and answer this quick.

Yes, you should have a car. Presidentv8 does not, but he is a crazy person. I suppose if you lived in the Lofts, that would be a walkable distance, but those are pretty expesive (but nice). Most people have cars or at the least a bike of some variety. Baring that, find a roommate to mooch rides from or live in an apartment complex that has other law students in it so you can carpool.

Hey Bosque, you mentioned lofts within walking distance? Which complex are you referring to? The Lofts at Lakeview?

I am interested in at least looking at those complexes which are within walking distance (15-20 min walk is fine). Would that be just the lofts you're referring to? What other apartments are within walking distance?

Thanks!

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:40 am

Bosque wrote:
arism87 wrote:Trying this in this thread, also:

Any opinions on what schools Duke considers peer schools for scholarship purposes? Aka should I apply to UT, Vandy, UCLA just for this (knowing I wouldn't go there)?

Anything from Yale down to at least USC is considered I think. I know they matched my offer from USC. You might even be able to get something from an Emory or George Washington scholarship (although probably not a matching offer).

Lesson being: apply, apply, apply.

I can't see wasting app fees to schools you'd never go to, but whatever floats your boat.

I submitted scholarships from UVA, GULC, Vandy, and UNC just for kicks. Got my initial offer from Duke, then got a late $$$$ from Emory and submitted that and they bumped it a bit, though didn't match.

Hey Bosque, you mentioned lofts within walking distance? Which complex are you referring to? The Lofts at Lakeview?

I am interested in at least looking at those complexes which are within walking distance (15-20 min walk is fine). Would that be just the lofts you're referring to? What other apartments are within walking distance?

Yes, s/he means the Lofts at Lakeview. I think in all honesty you'll be pretty disappointed if you're looking for walking distance apartments. The ones already mentioned are about it. They just don't really exist. Weeks like this when its teens-20s in the AM you wouldn't want to walk anyway. There are a number of other complexes that you could get in on that are on bus routes.

Also, I'm one of the weirds who bought a house. It's certainly doable and my mortgage is less than some of my classmates are paying for rent. Then again, I also have a sugar mama, which helps.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 pm

wiseowl wrote:semi identifying stuff

Mentally narrowing down who you are.........hmmm.....

Edit: ...and/or I'm a moron.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

wiseowl wrote:
Bosque wrote:
arism87 wrote:Trying this in this thread, also:

Any opinions on what schools Duke considers peer schools for scholarship purposes? Aka should I apply to UT, Vandy, UCLA just for this (knowing I wouldn't go there)?

Anything from Yale down to at least USC is considered I think. I know they matched my offer from USC. You might even be able to get something from an Emory or George Washington scholarship (although probably not a matching offer).

Lesson being: apply, apply, apply.

I can't see wasting app fees to schools you'd never go to, but whatever floats your boat.

I submitted scholarships from UVA, GULC, Vandy, and UNC just for kicks. Got my initial offer from Duke, then got a late $$$$ from Emory and submitted that and they bumped it a bit, though didn't match.

Yes, s/he means the Lofts at Lakeview. I think in all honesty you'll be pretty disappointed if you're looking for walking distance apartments. The ones already mentioned are about it. They just don't really exist. Weeks like this when its teens-20s in the AM you wouldn't want to walk anyway. There are a number of other complexes that you could get in on that are on bus routes.

Also, I'm one of the weirds who bought a house. It's certainly doable and my mortgage is less than some of my classmates are paying for rent. Then again, I also have a sugar mama, which helps.

S/he? Didn't know I was so androgynous. I know my hair is longer than normal right now, but it is also on my face in the form of a beard. :P

Other than that, I have nothing substantive to add. Owl's right.

benedict.assnold

Postby benedict.assnold » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 am

Hey doing some research for next cycle, does Duke have graded LRW?

Thanks!

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 pm

benedict.assnold wrote:Hey doing some research for next cycle, does Duke have graded LRW?

Thanks!

Yep. Sorry. It however is three credits while the core courses are 4.5. You also don't get a grade for it after the first semester, just at the end.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 pm

I've posted about this elsewhere, but I want to see if you all have any thoughts or insight...

I'm applying ED to Duke (170/3.4) and I recently received an e-mail from Mark Hill asking for additional information (fall grades and an optional "Why Duke" essay). Because of the delay in making a decision, I was asked if I'd rather move my app to Round II ED (I was originally Round I) or RD. I chose Round II, as Duke is far and away my first choice. But what do you all think about this? Do I still have a shot at getting in? Do you know anyone who received the same response last cycle? Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:37 pm

beachbum wrote:I've posted about this elsewhere, but I want to see if you all have any thoughts or insight...

I'm applying ED to Duke (170/3.4) and I recently received an e-mail from Mark Hill asking for additional information (fall grades and an optional "Why Duke" essay). Because of the delay in making a decision, I was asked if I'd rather move my app to Round II ED (I was originally Round I) or RD. I chose Round II, as Duke is far and away my first choice. But what do you all think about this? Do I still have a shot at getting in? Do you know anyone who received the same response last cycle? Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Didn't do ED so unfortunately I can't answer your question. Useless, I know...

sethc

Postby sethc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Yo, 1L here @ another school.

Chances of this happening for me are quite slim, but, out of curiosity - can any of you Duke guys speak to transferees at all? Things like how many try vs. accepted, grades/rank I might shoot for, how easy/difficult the transition is, regrets or reliefs, etc. I read the stickies about transfers and I realize it touches on Duke #s a bit, but I was just looking for some more specific info "from the ground" haha

ALWAYS wanted to go to Duke undergrad + law school, but it looks like that will wind up being an unfulfilled fantasy. Treasure what you have, my friends. Oh, and go Devils!! (my fingers are numb from keeping them crossed for Kyrie lol)

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:01 am

I have a somewhat different housing-related question here. I applied for a fellowship abroad and may very well not know until May if I can even attend a law school this coming year; but, it didn't make sense for me NOT to apply this year since I would gladly go in the case that I don't get my fellowship.

I've already been accepted and am waiting on a number of things (school visits, additional decisions, financial aid, etc.) but in the case that I do end up at Duke: if I do wait until, say, mid-late May, will I have any problems finding roommates? I've perused some of the places you guys were talking about, and while the 1BRs look pretty reasonably-priced, it definitely looks like you need a roommate or two to get sub-$600, maybe even sub-$550 per person, which became a little more important after I read earlier that 9-month leases are hard to come by. I guess in other words, do you guys know if there are generally people still looking for non-sublease housing into May and June? Or am I pretty much bound to booking a place by myself if I wait that long?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

T6Hopeful wrote:I have a somewhat different housing-related question here. I applied for a fellowship abroad and may very well not know until May if I can even attend a law school this coming year; but, it didn't make sense for me NOT to apply this year since I would gladly go in the case that I don't get my fellowship.

I've already been accepted and am waiting on a number of things (school visits, additional decisions, financial aid, etc.) but in the case that I do end up at Duke: if I do wait until, say, mid-late May, will I have any problems finding roommates? I've perused some of the places you guys were talking about, and while the 1BRs look pretty reasonably-priced, it definitely looks like you need a roommate or two to get sub-$600, maybe even sub-$550 per person, which became a little more important after I read earlier that 9-month leases are hard to come by. I guess in other words, do you guys know if there are generally people still looking for non-sublease housing into May and June? Or am I pretty much bound to booking a place by myself if I wait that long?

They circulate a roommate list all summer, and I seem to remember a lot of people joining up in mid to late summer. You should be fine if you wait until then. Best of luck on your pending fellowship application!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:01 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:I have a somewhat different housing-related question here. I applied for a fellowship abroad and may very well not know until May if I can even attend a law school this coming year; but, it didn't make sense for me NOT to apply this year since I would gladly go in the case that I don't get my fellowship.

They circulate a roommate list all summer, and I seem to remember a lot of people joining up in mid to late summer. You should be fine if you wait until then. Best of luck on your pending fellowship application!

Thanks a lot! The more I look into Duke, the higher it rises on my list - the relatively low cost of attendance (I'm waiting on a Columbia decision, but I die a little inside when I think about how absurdly high the COA has gotten... I believe projected at $74k for next year, and definitely no chance at scholarships with my numbers, even if I get in), the small class size, the warmer (albeit slightly) weather, no scholarship stipulations (!) and from what I've heard, the student dynamic/atmosphere. But I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys that. They'll definitely be on par with, if not higher than, MVP in my decisions.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Does the law school allow you to take classes at other grad schools even if you're not enrolled in a joint-degree program?

Thanks!

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:Does the law school allow you to take classes at other grad schools even if you're not enrolled in a joint-degree program?

Thanks!

Not entirely sure on that one, but I think I remember them saying they would work with you. Obviously, there is going to be a limit on the number and kind of credits that you can apply to your JD/LLM but I think they're pretty good about allowing interdisciplinary study.

EDIT: see here - http://www.law.duke.edu/about/community ... l#rule3-13

So basically, it appears that you need Dean's approval, but I think they're very accommodating in that regard.
Last edited by thickfreakness on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:Does the law school allow you to take classes at other grad schools even if you're not enrolled in a joint-degree program?

Thanks!

Indeed. Pretty easy process to do so too. I think we get two outside classes that count for JD credit.

Brownadam26

Postby Brownadam26 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:00 pm

what sort of assignments do you get? What's class like? How would you say you've adjusted to law school? Do you grades reflect the amount of work you put in? How long do you study everyday? What are your teachers like? What are the other students like? (any kids that are genius? or really close)

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 pm

So...I hear the softball games are super competitive. I would like to be placed on the 2L All-Star team. (Note:This request is void if I'm in a section with David Ortiz.)

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 am

prezidentv8 wrote:

Thanks!

Indeed. Pretty easy process to do so too. I think we get two outside classes that count for JD credit.

Thanks to you and thickfreakness too. Prezidentv, I saw you were thinking about doing a Masters in Econ, did you end up going for it? I want to take some econ classes for fun while I'm there (maybe as a 2L or 3L)

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 am

lakerfanimal wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks to you and thickfreakness too. Prezidentv, I saw you were thinking about doing a Masters in Econ, did you end up going for it? I want to take some econ classes for fun while I'm there (maybe as a 2L or 3L)

No I didn't, although I think I know of somebody who is. That being said, I would REALLY like to take an econ class and might go for it with my second non-law class.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:36 am

Brownadam26 wrote:what sort of assignments do you get? What's class like? How would you say you've adjusted to law school? Do you grades reflect the amount of work you put in? How long do you study everyday? What are your teachers like? What are the other students like? (any kids that are genius? or really close)

Had a 2006 Yale grad as a constitutional law professor but my god was he amazing. Never cold-called. He basically was devil's advocate in class and would let students respond to his arguments and debate each other. Almost every day each student would participate multiple times because of how interesting he made it. On top of all that the professor was as nice and down to earth as you can imagine. Probably the best professor I've ever had. For Civil Proceedure we had a professor who co-wrote many of the federal rules of civil procedure. Turns out he was a classmate of Scott Turrow (wrote "1L") and Emmanuel. Super nice guy and had high expectations for the class.

I think i've adjusted pretty well. Between bowling, basketball, section-wide social events, I have had an opportunity to hang out with a lot of different people and enjoy myself. The students here are very smart and capable so if you're used to being one of the smartest people in the class room be prepared to be normal here. Overall, people are pretty relaxed about things, even during exams. Genious? Eh, that's a pretty high threshold. There may be a few close calls but I think the only one i've met so far was my con law professor. He defines genious.

I can't say much about grades yet since I don't have any, but I can say the exams seemed to fairly test what we learned during the semester.

My days start a few hours before my first class (8:45am) and end at 4pm. I do all my reading during the day right before my classes so that I remember the material. This way my weekends are free for me to update my outline, read supplements, work on legal writing class papers, or just relax. Also, this means I basically do nothing after 4pm most of the semester (excepting the month before exams).

I worked very hard studying for my exams. I spent about 6 weeks straight studying for 4-9 hours a day. One thing I am very thankful about Duke law is that the legal writing class ends in the middle of the semester rather than at the end of the semester like other schools do. This means we dont have to worry about a legal memo being due at the same time as exams, which is a HUGE stress releif. Also, we only have 3 total substantive classes as opposed to 4 or even 6 that some other schools have. I can't imagine trying to study for 6 different finals when studying for 3 was hard enough.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

mikey101

Postby mikey101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:18 pm

This thread's great! Thanks to the current Duke students for taking questions. This question may be most appropriate for 2Ls and 3Ls who have gone through OCI but I was wondering if you think Duke is worth sticker? I really love the school and am thinking of switching to ED Round II but I'm still hesitant to lock myself into so much debt. Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”