Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Hiei

New

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Post by Hiei » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 am

Bosque wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:How does Duke hold up with BigLaw in cities like NYC, D.C., Chicago, or LA as opposed to its peers such as Cornell, USC, or Georgetown?
Swimmingly.
I was not aware Cornell, USC, and Georgetown were our peers. Our peers are Michigan, Northwestern, and UVA (maybe Georgetown too).

And we place just fine with our peers.

Duke's peers are Cornell, GULC, and Northwestern; although it's not like there is some huge gap between them and MVPB.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:46 am

Why did Duke reject me? It was my only rejection and it hurt my feelings. I was very sad.

BarackObama

New

Post by BarackObama » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:41 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I have a used Accord that needs a timing belt and a summer job, for the record. :mrgreen:
Did you ever get that title transferred?

BarackObama

New

Post by BarackObama » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:32 pm

NY88 wrote:Is there any good housing within walking distance of the law school in case a car is not an option right away? I
Yep. The Belmont is about a mile away. It's reasonable, but it has a bunch of undergrads there, so you might feel like you're living in a dorm at times. Here's the website:
--LinkRemoved--

The Lofts at Lakeview are very nice luxury apartments. They're a little closer than the Belmont but a lot more expensive:
--LinkRemoved--

And there's also Erwin Terrace, which is very close to the the Lofts:
--LinkRemoved--

Most law students seem to live at Pinnacle Ridge, Alexan Place, or Addington Farms, so if you move into one of those places, you are bound to find other law students who can give you rides...just befriend them and you're home free (literally). Or you could just sleep on the first floor of the library; you could probably get away with it for a while before anyone caught on.

BarackObama

New

Post by BarackObama » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:47 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:Could someone that picked Duke over MVP/NW/Cornell share with us how you arrived at that decision? Thanks!
Bump. Anyone?
My answer is similar to Bosque's. It fit best on a personal level, about the same on a professional level, and offered the best aid package (combined with a good COL). Durham is a very underrated town and has plenty to do, no matter what your interests are.
Last edited by BarackObama on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 pm

BarackObama wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I have a used Accord that needs a timing belt and a summer job, for the record. :mrgreen:
Did you ever get that title transferred?
Nope. Gotta wait til I get back to the Durham.

Also, I still hate the NC DMV. Or whatever acronym they go by. Ass hats.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 pm

When do we get our schedules???? I want to know what time to practice waking up at.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:10 am

DallasCowboy wrote:When do we get our schedules???? I want to know what time to practice waking up at.
If I remember correctly, like a day before the orientation starts.

sherpaorlawschool

Bronze

Post by sherpaorlawschool » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:19 pm

Anyone know anything about Duke's Early Decision? It seems pretty new and I can't find much information on it. Anybody know any splitters that got into Duke via ED?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ck3

Bronze

Post by ck3 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Hello,

I know you guys are getting started with classes and you are busy, but if anyone has time to answer this, I'd like some feedback on why you chose Duke over UVA, G'Town, Vanderbilt, Penn, Michigan, Texas for those of you who got into schools in that range and had to choose. Thanks in advance.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 pm

ck3 wrote:Hello,

I know you guys are getting started with classes and you are busy, but if anyone has time to answer this, I'd like some feedback on why you chose Duke over UVA, G'Town, Vanderbilt, Penn, Michigan, Texas for those of you who got into schools in that range and had to choose. Thanks in advance.

I got into Duke and Texas. UT offered me around $40k more. It was a pretty easy decision. I want to work in CA and Duke's placement is a lot more national than UTs. From all of the evidence I have seen, Duke is one of the most portable degrees in the T14, in part because it doesn't have a large market nearby.

$$ being equal, I would've chosen Duke over Virginia, GULC, and Vandy. It would've been a tough decision had I gotten into Michigan and Penn. It has a much smaller class size than UVa and GULC. Its placement is better than Vandy's.

IMHO MVPBDN are peer schools. What you choose from those depends on geographic placement preferences, career path, and where you want to live for 3 years.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:55 pm

I chose Duke over GULC and Vandy, and didn't apply to Texas. GULC felt too anonymous, Vandy felt somewhat restrictive in terms of geography and thus a riskier investment, and Texas just didn't appeal to me.

Money being equal, I think I would have taken Duke over UVa, although it's hard to say at this point what I would have done then because I know so much more now about Duke than I do about UVa. Frankly, I think both are pretty nice places, and it probably comes down to personal preference.

Michigan and Penn may have been tougher to turn down. I have a soft spot for Philadelphia and Penn, and Penn has a nice joint degree program that I liked. Again, knowing what I know now about Duke, it's tough to make a call on what I would have done at the time. A couple of small personal reasons for wanting to be in Philadelphia may have pushed me toward Penn. Regarding Michigan, I did not really have a desire to attend their school (blasphemy on here, I'm aware) until I learned more about it, and only ever developed a vague, unfamiliar interest in the school.

But if you're deciding between these schools, you have a problem that is not really a problem.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:53 am

Chose Duke over Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and UVA's waitlist (the only other schools I applied to and would have realistically attended). The visit is what sealed it for me--Duke's facilities, faculty, dean, and (most importantly) current students were among the most impressive I'd been around. There's a real energy and excitement at the school that's infectious, not to mention the great job prospects, small class size, and the like. I really finalized the decision after visiting Vandy, which I liked, but not quite as much as Duke.

To echo prez's sentiments, that choice is NOT a bad choice to have, even though it may seem like it when you're agonizing over the choice, crunching numbers, etc. The best advice I can give you is to visit, communicate with the admissions offices, faculty, and staff of the schools you're considering (after all, they'll be the people you work with during school), and try to think about your living situation at each school. If you want anymore information you can PM me and I'll gladly discuss it further.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

judgeholden

New

Post by judgeholden » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Ways to make Duke the best law school experience:
1) Live in Station Nine
2) Befriend Dain and Jen
3) Learn drinking games from the MBA kids

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Anyone know if Duke will render a priority track decision for those who need to submit Deans letters before they receive the letter?? My letter needs to come from a previous undergrad(transferred after freshman year) and they have to be slowest school in the world. I gave them all the info they needed 3 weeks ago and they still arent even close to writing the letter and sending it out. From my experience having to deal with them for other things, im pretty sure it could literally be mid-october/early november before they get this crap done.

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Anyone know if Duke will render a priority track decision for those who need to submit Deans letters before they receive the letter?? My letter needs to come from a previous undergrad(transferred after freshman year) and they have to be slowest school in the world. I gave them all the info they needed 3 weeks ago and they still arent even close to writing the letter and sending it out. From my experience having to deal with them for other things, im pretty sure it could literally be mid-october/early november before they get this crap done.
Based on my experience last year, they will not. Best advice is to simply call or email the Duke admissions office and ask if they have any advice. Also, keep calling the office that is supposed to be sending the letter--be friendly, but call often enough that they know it matters to you (squeaky wheel gets the grease and all).

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Anyone happen to know when Duke Mordecai invites started going out last year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:04 pm

I almost feel like we should start a new thread for this, as most of the people giving advice in it are no longer 1Ls.

Anyway, I have no clue when Mordecai's go out. I am not even sure who has them. Also not sure that I care. :P

But I would guess not until they start handing out scholarship offers, which is not until February I believe. In any case, even if they do go out before the other offers, I would imagine they wont be sending them out until November at the earliest. They just wont have received enough applications at this point to know exactly who they want to give them to.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Did you guys all write Why Duke essays? I'm finishing up my app right now, but have NO idea why Duke, aside from the fact that it's a great school in the top 14.
I'm a bit on the fence in terms of numbers (splitter and LSN says I will likely be waitlisted), so figure I need everything I can get, but still cant figure out what to write about.
Better to just apply now without?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Bosque wrote:I almost feel like we should start a new thread for this, as most of the people giving advice in it are no longer 1Ls.

Anyway, I have no clue when Mordecai's go out. I am not even sure who has them. Also not sure that I care. :P

But I would guess not until they start handing out scholarship offers, which is not until February I believe. In any case, even if they do go out before the other offers, I would imagine they wont be sending them out until November at the earliest. They just wont have received enough applications at this point to know exactly who they want to give them to.
Any current 1L's want to take over?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 pm

trudat15 wrote:Did you guys all write Why Duke essays? I'm finishing up my app right now, but have NO idea why Duke, aside from the fact that it's a great school in the top 14.
I'm a bit on the fence in terms of numbers (splitter and LSN says I will likely be waitlisted), so figure I need everything I can get, but still cant figure out what to write about.
Better to just apply now without?
Strongly recommend writing the Why Duke essay. I think it can only help your application (assuming no grammatical mistakes, a basic organizational functionality, etc.) and shouldn't take too long to write. Keep it to a page.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

edgarfigaro

Bronze

Post by edgarfigaro » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 am

2) Befriend Dain and Jen
Coming from a Duke undergrad/lived in Durham for several years after undergrad...GREAT ADVICE.

I want a Dain's burger so bad right now...

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Trying this in this thread, also:

Any opinions on what schools Duke considers peer schools for scholarship purposes? Aka should I apply to UT, Vandy, UCLA just for this (knowing I wouldn't go there)?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 pm

arism87 wrote:Trying this in this thread, also:

Any opinions on what schools Duke considers peer schools for scholarship purposes? Aka should I apply to UT, Vandy, UCLA just for this (knowing I wouldn't go there)?
Anything from Yale down to at least USC is considered I think. I know they matched my offer from USC. You might even be able to get something from an Emory or George Washington scholarship (although probably not a matching offer).

Lesson being: apply, apply, apply.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

I exclusively used UT as leverage and got 7.5k more from Duke. Duke = +1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”