Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chicoalto0649

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Do you know anybody admitted off of duke's waitlist? Is it possible? Would a visit help?

Also, how diverse is Duke's student body?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:I am currently trying to decide between Duke and UCLA. I most likely want to end up in California and was wondering if you could talk about Duke's placement in California? Some people have told me go to UCLA since it is top dog in LA market..

Well I personally can't comment too extensively on our California placement, but not so long ago someone in administration mentioned that 10% of our alums are in California. I got interviews/a job lined up just fine for this summer, so it can't be that bad hahaha

chicoalto0649 wrote:Do you know anybody admitted off of duke's waitlist? Is it possible? Would a visit help?

Yep quite a few. It's definitely possible. No idea about a visit.

chicoalto0649 wrote:Also, how diverse is Duke's student body?

My new response to diversity questions - it depends on what you mean by "diverse."

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 am

Ok, so it's looking increasingly likely like I'm going to be a Duke 1L next year. My cycle has been ugly other than Duke and I'm starting to like it more and more.

The admissions office was helpful and put me in touch with a 2L who was an alum of my UG, but I'm going to ask these questions on here too...

I realize this was addressed earlier in the thread, but I was wondering if you guys had any updates - how is OCI going this year? In the past, it seems that median at Duke was a very safe place to be for landing a market-paying summer 2L gig, is that still the case? What will I have to do specifically for CA? Also, do you guys get any firms from FL?

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

NY88

Postby NY88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 am

Is there any good housing within walking distance of the law school in case a car is not an option right away? I

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 pm

A not-necessarily-reliable source recently told me that the "snob factor" is high at Duke--that they'd see Mercedes, Porsches, etc., in the student parking lot, and such. This was not at all my impression when visiting the school, but are there any current students here who could comment on this?

Also, as far as opportunities are concerned, how satisfied are you? Do you think you might have done better by attending a higher-T14 school?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 pm

fwaam wrote:A not-necessarily-reliable source recently told me that the "snob factor" is high at Duke--that they'd see Mercedes, Porsches, etc., in the student parking lot, and such. This was not at all my impression when visiting the school, but are there any current students here who could comment on this?

Uh... completely and utterly false? I think I have seen a few good cars in the green zone, but we share that with the business school kids too. And the porches and mercedes are by far the minority of vehicles parked there. In any case, how does someone's car necessarily make them a snob? I would think being a snob is more about how you carry yourself then just what you own.

I have seen some undergrads that try too hard during the few speaking events we have that attract them (such as when John Bolton was talking here last semester), but I don't think I have met any law students I would describe as snobby. Duke law students are as a rule very down to earth, and we like it that way.

fwaam wrote:Also, as far as opportunities are concerned, how satisfied are you? Do you think you might have done better by attending a higher-T14 school?

As to whether I would have done better, so far no. I got both the jobs I wanted for this summer, so I cannot see anyway it would have gone better. I am satisfied, but then again I have only had to go through one job search so far. I'll reevaluate and let you know again in 2 years.

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Bosque wrote:Uh... completely and utterly false? I think I have seen a few good cars in the green zone, but we share that with the business school kids too. And the porches and mercedes are by far the minority of vehicles parked there. In any case, how does someone's car necessarily make them a snob? I would think being a snob is more about how you carry yourself then just what you own.

Thanks. That comment didn't make much sense to me either.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 pm

fwaam wrote:
Bosque wrote:Uh... completely and utterly false? I think I have seen a few good cars in the green zone, but we share that with the business school kids too. And the porches and mercedes are by far the minority of vehicles parked there. In any case, how does someone's car necessarily make them a snob? I would think being a snob is more about how you carry yourself then just what you own.

Thanks. That comment didn't make much sense to me either.

I have a used Accord that needs a timing belt and a summer job, for the record. :mrgreen:

aer

Re: Tucker Max University 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby aer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:16 am

What's with the name change?

Edit. Just looked at my calendar. :oops:

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:28 pm

aer wrote:What's with the name change?

Edit. Just looked at my calendar. :oops:

That SO was not me.

thecubiclelife

Postby thecubiclelife » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 am

Question for prez/Bosque/anyone else...

Do you feel that the school is a little bit of a bubble? What I mean is...do you hang out with just law school students? I'm looking at my options and, while Duke is SO WARM, I don't know if any of my non-law friends are left in Durham. I'm not trying to put down my potential future classmates, but what if I want a little breather?

I guess this is a problem with any law school, but I was just curious if you had any Duke-specific thoughts on this.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:Question for prez/Bosque/anyone else...

Do you feel that the school is a little bit of a bubble? What I mean is...do you hang out with just law school students? I'm looking at my options and, while Duke is SO WARM, I don't know if any of my non-law friends are left in Durham. I'm not trying to put down my potential future classmates, but what if I want a little breather?

I guess this is a problem with any law school, but I was just curious if you had any Duke-specific thoughts on this.

I'd say we're probably as much of a bubble as any other law school. Which is to say, there is one. BUT - there seems to be opportunities to meet people from elsewhere on campus if you want to. A few things I thought of that can help with that: There's an overarching grad student association that puts on some events, places a short walk away in other schools and on the main campus to study and eat, and a few other easy excuses to meet people ("mixer" bar reviews put on by our SBA, intramural leagues, etc.). So, yes and no in my opinion. Depends on the level of involvement you're looking for.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:12 pm

As a Duke undergrad, I'll comment that Duke is very much a bubble- in the sense, that there really isn't much to do off-campus. There is stuff to do but it isn't exactly New York or Chicago. Durham isn't the nicest of places. There is the Durham Performing Arts Center and there are a few popular bars/nightclubs (in particular, Shooters) and 9th Street is nice. However, Durham kind of sucks.
To compensate for Durham being Durham, Duke has a very campus-centered culture and there's a lot to do on campus!

The law school is part of that bubble but more on the edge so I think that a Duke Law student can avoid many of the frustrations I've had as a Duke undergrad.
Bring a car. Raleigh and Chapel Hill are way nicer than Durham.

For those who have commented on the douchiness of the student body, I think in many ways it's true for Duke undergrad (Hint: Most colleges have a douchy environment).. but not necessarily the law school- I've visited the law school before and people seem way more mature than the typical undergrad and probably less douchy.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:27 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:

I'd say we're probably as much of a bubble as any other law school. Which is to say, there is one. BUT - there seems to be opportunities to meet people from elsewhere on campus if you want to. A few things I thought of that can help with that: There's an overarching grad student association that puts on some events, places a short walk away in other schools and on the main campus to study and eat, and a few other easy excuses to meet people ("mixer" bar reviews put on by our SBA, intramural leagues, etc.). So, yes and no in my opinion. Depends on the level of involvement you're looking for.

It really is what you make of it. It can be very easy to fall into "the bubble" if you don't make an effort not too, but for kind of a good reason. It just simply requires no effort to socialize with your fellow law students. They are as a rule friendly, around you 24/7, and just as desperate as you are to make friends and find things to do, so you are going to be hanging out with them by default.

However, there are opportunities to get involved in groups that involve more than just lawyers. At the risk of outing myself (although anyone who this information would out me to has already probably guessed who I am), I am involved with the Duke Chorale, which is a choir with undergrads and graduate students in it (although unsurprisingly more undergrads). There are also plenty of intramural sports you can get involved with. And of course, you can look beyond formally organizations and just find people you like who aren't in the law school.

As to the bubble between the university and the community at large, I haven't had time to attempt to breach that. But I didn't have time in undergrad either, and again, it is a common issue with all institutes of higher education.

aer

Postby aer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

As a Duke undergrad, I'll comment that Duke is very much a bubble- in the sense, that there really isn't much to do off-campus. There is stuff to do but it isn't exactly New York or Chicago. Durham isn't the nicest of places. There is the Durham Performing Arts Center and there are a few popular bars/nightclubs (in particular, Shooters) and 9th Street is nice. However, Durham kind of sucks.
To compensate for Durham being Durham, Duke has a very campus-centered culture and there's a lot to do on campus!

The law school is part of that bubble but more on the edge so I think that a Duke Law student can avoid many of the frustrations I've had as a Duke undergrad.

For those who have commented on the douchiness of the student body, I think in many ways it's true for Duke undergrad (Hint: Most colleges have a douchy environment).. but not necessarily the law school- I've visited the law school before and people seem way more mature than the typical undergrad and probably less douchy.

While the law school is a bit insular as Prez and Bosque have said, law students have a different relationship with Durham than the undergrads do. Law students do not live on campus and most of us live at least a 5 minute drive away from school. This makes it so that law students don't really hang around on campus after class except for time in the library or gym.

I actually really like Durham. The night life is pretty much divided into hanging out in Durham and getting a beer with friends or going to Chapel Hill to dance. There are several solid bars in Durham. My personal favorites are the Federal (also has good burgers and they grind their own meat so they will cook to order), Alivia's and Whiskey (you have to be 23 to get in).

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:39 pm

23 to get into a bar? I have never heard of that. Pretty funny. I guess I will have another milestone to celebrate during 1L.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:12 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:23 to get into a bar? I have never heard of that. Pretty funny. I guess I will have another milestone to celebrate during 1L.

/turned 23 three weeks before ASW...

Stay outta my cool bar you whippersnappers!!!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 am

thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:23 to get into a bar? I have never heard of that. Pretty funny. I guess I will have another milestone to celebrate during 1L.

Lame. I'll need a fake ID till 2L.

I also have a question for current law school students. Was your given scholarship amount the total amount of free money you go, or once you enrolled and got a final financial aid statement there were some other need-based tuition grants?

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

Lame. I'll need a fake ID till 2L.

I also have a question for current law school students. Was your given scholarship amount the total amount of free money you go, or once you enrolled and got a final financial aid statement there were some other need-based tuition grants?

That letter is all your money, for all three years. What you see is what you get.

You do get your government loans though...

fwaam

Postby fwaam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 am

So the statistics show the vast majority of Duke grads going into biglaw, or clerkships and then biglaw.... how much support is there for people interested in other jobs (government, PI, smaller firms, etc.)? Is there an assumption that everyone will go into biglaw?

And how about the availability of externships during the school year?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Any current (0L doesn't count) Duke students interested in getting paid to write an expanded profile on Duke for TLS? PM me if interested.

aer

Postby aer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:45 pm

fwaam wrote:So the statistics show the vast majority of Duke grads going into biglaw, or clerkships and then biglaw.... how much support is there for people interested in other jobs (government, PI, smaller firms, etc.)? Is there an assumption that everyone will go into biglaw?

Our new dean is pretty committed to the public sector, he spent the last 17 or so years as a judge before becoming dean of Duke Law. Our career services office is also great at helping students look for jobs in the public sector.

I'm just finishing up my 1L year and mainly hang out with other 1Ls so I don't know too much about externships. I do know a 3L that is currently doing one. The school also recently started a new program called Duke in DC where it is basically a semester long externship in DC with a focus on federal policy and regulation. http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/dukedc

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:01 pm

fwaam wrote:So the statistics show the vast majority of Duke grads going into biglaw, or clerkships and then biglaw.... how much support is there for people interested in other jobs (government, PI, smaller firms, etc.)? Is there an assumption that everyone will go into biglaw?

The PI and Pro Bono people at the info-sesion during the ASD were really friendly and talked about a lot of opportunities. Most people complete the 50 hour pro bono pledge so they have some resources dedicated to it, but I always figured that PI work was mostly self-initiated so you will have to do some leg work to find places to work. I'm sure the people in their office are very helpful. There is also the PILF and other types of grants to give you funding for PI work.

aer

Postby aer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:39 am

poopstains

Postby poopstains » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:36 am

aer wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

While the law school is a bit insular as Prez and Bosque have said, law students have a different relationship with Durham than the undergrads do. Law students do not live on campus and most of us live at least a 5 minute drive away from school. This makes it so that law students don't really hang around on campus after class except for time in the library or gym.

I actually really like Durham. The night life is pretty much divided into hanging out in Durham and getting a beer with friends or going to Chapel Hill to dance. There are several solid bars in Durham. My personal favorites are the Federal (also has good burgers and they grind their own meat so they will cook to order), Alivia's and Whiskey (you have to be 23 to get in).

I would like to edit the last comment to include going to Chapel Hill to meet attractive girls. One of the benefits of Duke is being in close proximity to cute UNC chicks. And if you like beer pong and going out during the week, Shooters on Wednesdays, 5 dollar pitchers of draft beer. Be warned that a lot of ug kids go there, but 5 buck pitchers, so its pretty easy to drink until you are no longer bothered by their youthful antics. Also, it is probably the only place in Durham where you'll find at least a few cute girls consistently.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”