Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 pm

wiseowl wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:or students start targeting NY more.
:oops:
there should have been a lot more explicit advice to bid NY, thats for sure.
Yeah I kinda herp-derped my way through the bidding for OCI...

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 am

What's the golf scene like? With such a nice course only blocks from the law school, is there a contingent that plays often?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

TUP wrote:What's the golf scene like? With such a nice course only blocks from the law school, is there a contingent that plays often?
There are several of us that play, but many of us prefer a cheap course about a mile away. You can only play WaDuke so often and still pay rent.

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Tue May 03, 2011 10:28 am

TUP wrote:What's the golf scene like? With such a nice course only blocks from the law school, is there a contingent that plays often?
Another incoming 1L golfer here! Can't wait to go golfing in NC.
wiseowl wrote:
There are several of us that play, but many of us prefer a cheap course about a mile away. You can only play WaDuke so often and still pay rent.
Bummer that the Duke course is expensive - I was quite impressed with the course looking at the website. Good to know there's a cheap course close by though.

I know it must be getting old, but I'd like to ask a question about which apartment to rent.

I'm looking for a nice 1 bedroom that will be mainly law/grad students (trying to avoid noise issues w/ undergrad parties). I will have a car so proximity to the school or bus stops isn't an issue. It seems like 1 bedrooms range from $500 to $1,000; if we're assuming that quality matches the price I think I'd be looking for something right down the middle, so around $700~$800 bucks.

Would you Duke Law folks be kind enough to just recommend the top 3 or so places that fit this description off the top of your head? I've been doing research and the problem is that there's TOO MUCH information out there; I found like 20 apartments that are really hard to separate from each other so I need an insider's opinion. Thanks a bunch!

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 am

Based on the class of 2014 thread, it sounds like Pinnacle Ridge and Alexan Garrett are where many of the other 1Ls are ending up. The class of 2012 also has a large list of options in the first post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

It seems like 20-30% of the school lives at Pinnacle Ridge, though I know that can't be the case.

I've also lived just over the line in Chapel Hill (before I was in law school) down 15-501 for $500, so if you're willing to drive 5-10 more minutes it might be worth looking at.

Don't rule out houses as well, renting or buying. My mortgage every month is less than some of these rent amounts.

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks for the replies. Any other names of apartments I should look for that fits

"I'm looking for a nice 1 bedroom that will be mainly law/grad students (trying to avoid noise issues w/ undergrad parties). I will have a car so proximity to the school or bus stops isn't an issue. It seems like 1 bedrooms range from $500 to $1,000; if we're assuming that quality matches the price I think I'd be looking for something right down the middle, so around $700~$800 bucks. "

this description? I'm sort of torn about whether living with a lot of 1Ls will be good or bad... :|

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Wed May 04, 2011 10:43 am

posted in the class of 2014 forum:
nihilism is key wrote:When choosing an apartment after ASW my insane self created a spreadsheet of all of the apartments visited during ASW + one or two others. Since TLSers tend to be as neuorotic as myself, or at least appreciate a good neuroses every once in a while, I thought I would share it with you guys. I published it to a web page via google docs and here is the link:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spread ... utput=html

Obviously the pros and cons are based on my own personal preferences. Also, you will notice that I did not include Pinnacle Ridge because, after visiting, I knew I had no intention of living there. But, if someone wishes to compile the relevant information, I can add it to the spreadsheet and it will automatically update the webpage. HTH!

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Mon May 09, 2011 1:52 am

Last edited by tlslsnlsp on Tue May 10, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Mon May 09, 2011 2:49 am

Any idea when Fall class schedules get confirmed? The one posted now looks a bit wonky...

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Tue May 10, 2011 8:34 am

Any info in trinity commons at erwin? it seems like its one of the newer buildings with sweet amenities, but im worried there's gonna be a lot of noise/party issues since it's close to campus (more carefree undergrads, i'm guessing?).

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue May 10, 2011 10:19 am

itimgtd wrote:Any info in trinity commons at erwin? it seems like its one of the newer buildings with sweet amenities, but im worried there's gonna be a lot of noise/party issues since it's close to campus (more carefree undergrads, i'm guessing?).
They've literally just opened. I know a couple law students staying there next year, but no one there now since they would have had to move mid-semester.

I could see how there might be some noise issues, not just from the tenants, but from the surrounding restaurants and hospital.

Still, hard to beat the location.

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am

itimgtd wrote:Any info in trinity commons at erwin? it seems like its one of the newer buildings with sweet amenities, but im worried there's gonna be a lot of noise/party issues since it's close to campus (more carefree undergrads, i'm guessing?).
i considered them over the lofts at one point because of what i felt were slightly better communal amenities. i think i will go with the lofts in the end, however, because you get much more space for a lesser cost and i prefer the design aesthetic. also, over half of the building will still be under construction until at least November. so while i would rather not move throughout my 3 years, should a more preferable living space open up in trinity, id at least have all my options when making the decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 am

nihilism is key wrote:
i considered them over the lofts at one point because of what i felt were slightly better communal amenities. i think i will go with the lofts in the end, however, because you get much more space for a lesser cost and i prefer the design aesthetic. also, over half of the building will still be under construction until at least November. so while i would rather not move throughout my 3 years, should a more preferable living space open up in trinity, id at least have all my options when making the decision.
Thanks for the info. Do you think there's gonna be noise issues at the Lofts?

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Wed May 11, 2011 12:08 pm

itimgtd wrote:
nihilism is key wrote:
Thanks for the info. Do you think there's gonna be noise issues at the Lofts?
I'm not really concerned about the noise issue. I don't really see why noise would be an issue here more so than anywhere else. But even if it were a little bit louder due to the fact that there are hallways, i felt that the benefits outweighed the cons. For example, when considering it against Alexan Garrett, I took note of the fact that 1) the lofts has covered parking that will be directly on your floor, 2) AG does not have an elevator, so if you are on the 3rd floor you could be lugging groceries up 3 flights on a regular basis, 3) AG complex is huuuuge meaning that you could be located far away from some of the communal spaces, 4) the lofts is significantly closer. Dont get me wrong though, AG had some positives going for it too. If you want to be around more law students, that would probably be a better choice. it is also cheaper, newer, and you get to sign an immediate least rather than dealing with annoying waiting lists. I really dont think you can go wrong either way.

skissorzofdoom

New

Post by skissorzofdoom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi!
Are you still checking this? I was just wondering what was a good supplement for ConLaw at Duke and who was your teacher. Chemerinsky?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:28 pm

skissorzofdoom wrote:Hi!
Are you still checking this? I was just wondering what was a good supplement for ConLaw at Duke and who was your teacher. Chemerinsky?
Chemerinsky is excellent. Check your PMs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 pm

2L, hanging out on the internet

I learned more from the E&Es (couple weeks before the exam) because I learn by practicing and getting feedback. Good luck reading Chemerinsky along with the casebook. If you get Ernie Young, fyi he wrote the textbook for his class.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

I largely found supplements to be distracting and unhelpful. I think that the Boat Book (Chirelstein's Contracts Supp) was good for Ks. You may want to get the Emanuel keyed to Yeazell if that's your Civ Pro textbook, though. In my opinion, Con Law does not at all lend itself well to supplements. You've got to engage with the policy stuff in-class and in the reading to really "get it" in a way that can help you on the exam. That being said, everyone says Chemerinsky is the best Con Law supplement.

Tarheel10

New

Post by Tarheel10 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:33 pm

What´s the social life like? Does anyone regret not going to a bigger city? Is it lonely, isolated, etc? Also, is there much support for students interested in public interest and government?

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Do the urms tend to self segregate socially, for studying, etc.?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jazzyjeff

New

Post by jazzyjeff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Also interested in the social life. I've heard little positive about Duke's social scene...is that accurate?

And how is institutional support for public interest? Are there many students that go that path? Or will I feel like an anomaly? Thanks.

New

Post by 5782 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:35 pm

I don't really understand this asking about "the social life." There are thousands of grad students at Duke, and more in the surrounding area. Most are in their 20s, almost all of the rest in their 30s. Thus, your social life will be what you make it. Generally when people ask this question they're really asking "I want to party three nights a week, will there be people to do this with/bars to go to/etc.?" And the answer is yes, there are law students who do this, and yes, there are bars here. Obviously, if you want your social life to be more sedate, there are plenty of people who will be on board with you for that too.

On the other hand, obviously, this is not NYC. There's not a lot of street life, if you go to bars you'll soon wind up going to the same ones frequently, etc. If that is a huge problem for you, then you might want to look someplace else.

At least 1L year, it seemed to me that most of us lived in the law school bubble, so if you don't make a concerted effort to make non-law friends or have a non-law significant other, your classmates will be your social life. I don't know whether or not this would be less true in a larger city.

New

Post by 5782 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:57 pm

So as somebody who's interested in government/public interest work I'd say the level of support is pretty good, and the areas I'm not so pleased with I think would be the same at any top 14 school.

There are a couple career counselors who specialize in public interest and I don't have any real complaints about them. They'll certainly support you in your priorities and understand where you're coming from since they come from that kind of background themselves. There's also a pro bono coordinator who maintains a huge list of organizations in the area that take pro bono students during the semester, and will contact them for you to sign you up. If you're on their listserv the career center will also keep you apprised of various govt & PI job openings, how to apply for things, pro bono opportunities, etc.

Summer funding is.... variable. Duke has a new program where they guarantee funding (it was $3000 this year) to 2Ls who do at least 10 hours of pro bono during the year (which is nothing) and take a public interest job. Which includes government, and, for 2Ls, even judicial internships. OTOH, as a 1L, your funding option is PILF, a student organization which raises money for students to do public interest and then splits it up among all the qualifying students who apply. Qualifying means you did 20 hours of work for PILF during the year and that you got a public interest job--which includes government but NOT judicial internships. PILF grants were $2000 this year. Keep in mind that grants from Duke are the same no matter where you're working. You can get some funding from Duke even if your job pays, up to a total of $5000 for the summer. And there are a couple other scholarships Duke offers in addition to the ones I mentioned, but I don't know as much about them.

Duke also has an LRAP which will pay off your loans for you if you make very little money. More on that here: http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/financial/lrap

HOWEVER. Most Duke grads do go to big firms after graduation. They don't necessarily stay there forever--we have a great alumni base in a variety of different kinds of work--but they do go there initially. This is the same at any top school. There's a sizable minority of people who aren't interested, but there's still a certain amount of pressure to apply for those jobs because most people do and because they pay well, etc. Being at a prestigious school where tons of lucrative career options are open to you means that a lot of people will gravitate to those kinds of jobs just because they aren't sure what they want to do, they have a lot of debt, and they want to make money. But again, I'd be shocked if things are significantly different at any of our peer schools.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

What is the consensus as who are the professors that you want and do not want for your 1L classes based on opinions of whatever Dukies are on TLS?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”