Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
prezidentv8

Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Ask me questions about Duke, and I might answer!

bumblebeetoona

Re: Duke 1L, hanging out on the internet

Postby bumblebeetoona » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:34 pm

How does it feel to go to the douchiest law school?

Sorry. I had to ask.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:How does it feel to go to the douchiest law school?

Sorry. I had to ask.

Haha well I figured that was going to happen. To be honest, it feels great to go here, but really rionic (if expected) that we won that dubious honor. I will say that the people are are fantastic. The level of douchitude is actually very very low at the law school. I would even be willing to bet we have one of the least douchey law schools around - put the blame on the undergrads and Tucker Max.

My vote goes to Georgetown.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 pm

How does that high ranking in environmental law actually play out IRL? Do they noticeably give a shit about the program?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:48 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:How does that high ranking in environmental law actually play out IRL? Do they noticeably give a shit about the program?

To be honest, I have no idea, although I think there are a few great dual degrees here, one with the environmental school.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Do you like Durham much? What do the non-dbags do? Get outside much - bike, hike, etc.?
You can sort of see what I'm into.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:00 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
23fulltimecowboys wrote:How does that high ranking in environmental law actually play out IRL? Do they noticeably give a shit about the program?

To be honest, I have no idea, although I think there are a few great dual degrees here, one with the environmental school.

To chime in as a non-Duke student: the dual-degree programs at Duke are *great*. You can do a JD/MS in pretty much any program and graduate in 3 years. Plus, the GRE requirement is waived for the MS program, and the programs are quite liberal about admitting people who are already admitted to the law school.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm

wow, that's great to know

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:05 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:Do you like Durham much? What do the non-dbags do? Get outside much - bike, hike, etc.?
You can sort of see what I'm into.

Yeah I really do. Not so sure about the biking and hiking, but for some reason I know a few runners who seem to be able to find places to run. I'm not going to tell you it's the best place for the biking/hiking/running types, but Durham's not bad if you're exercising for sport, recreation, or fitness, and not for actual transportation. There's also the Durham Bulls, lots of BBQ restaurants, and some decent bars, as well as a few nice shopping areas, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh (which have some other nice shopping, restaurants, events, etc).

I will say that it isn't quite San Francisco, but it's also not bad.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

To chime in as a non-Duke student: the dual-degree programs at Duke are *great*. You can do a JD/MS in pretty much any program and graduate in 3 years. Plus, the GRE requirement is waived for the MS program, and the programs are quite liberal about admitting people who are already admitted to the law school.

I was actually considering doing one myself. I need to look into exactly what it'll entail, but I'm interested in a few of them.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:22 pm

nice, which one? i was just looking up on their site to make sure you can apply as a 1L (which it seems like you can everywhere); guess i got my answer. thanks for doing this, man

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:25 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:nice, which one? i was just looking up on their site to make sure you can apply as a 1L (which it seems like you can everywhere); guess i got my answer. thanks for doing this, man

Ah, I'm a little weird because I need to narrow my interests quite a bit, but I kind of like the MA in econ a bit more than the others. The MA in history (among others) also seems appealing, though more for personal satisfaction than career considerations.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm

cool, cool. bit of a difference in marketability, i guess. either way, though, letters after your name are letters after your name for jobs (in before someone calls me an idiot in the jd/mba debate) and both would be rad. i'd be interested to know if/what you choose and how the process goes.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
23fulltimecowboys wrote:nice, which one? i was just looking up on their site to make sure you can apply as a 1L (which it seems like you can everywhere); guess i got my answer. thanks for doing this, man

Ah, I'm a little weird because I need to narrow my interests quite a bit, but I kind of like the MA in econ a bit more than the others. The MA in history (among others) also seems appealing, though more for personal satisfaction than career considerations.

If you go the MA in econ route how do you envision it adding to your JD skill set in a marketable way?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 pm

dailygrind wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

If you go the MA in econ route how do you envision it adding to your JD skill set in a marketable way?

In a marketable way? Not entirely sure, because I don't know that it will matter in terms of me getting hired. I'm not one of those people who knows everything about the legal market going into law school, so take this with a grain of salt. But, I am the type of person who likes to do some different things day to day, and I think it would open up a few non-firm opportunities as well as sharpen some statistical skills which I've heard (rumor has it) could be useful in private practice. Edit: I guess that could be considered marketable, but the grades are going to predominate anyway so I don't know how it could matter much.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:05 pm

I find the statistical sharpening's worthwhileness to be somewhat of a question. I feel like if you're not good enough to make a living at it, you're not going to be doing much in the way of modeling for your firm. Most likely someone's going to be hired to do that. If you try to present sophisticated models to any jury, I feel like you will be wasting your time. On the other hand, interpreting simple statistics (the average wage of women in this company is substandard! [Oh yeah? Well you didn't control for marriage, the single women are making the same as the single men!]) can definitely be useful and will come more naturally to econ majors...but do you need a master's to do that? Just thinking out loud here.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:09 pm

dailygrind wrote:I find the statistical sharpening's worthwhileness to be somewhat of a question. I feel like if you're not good enough to make a living at it, you're not going to be doing much in the way of modeling for your firm. Most likely someone's going to be hired to do that. If you try to present sophisticated models to any jury, I feel like you will be wasting your time. On the other hand, interpreting simple statistics (the average wage of women in this company is substandard! [Oh yeah? Well you didn't control for marriage, the single women are making the same as the single men!]) can definitely be useful and will come more naturally to econ majors...but do you need a master's to do that? Just thinking out loud here, as I'm in a MA program for econ myself.

Yeah, I've run through the same considerations - hence why I didn't already apply to one of the joint programs. There are a few professors I'd like to have some chats with about it before I actually sign up, as well as the career folks.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 pm

yeah, i don't think the econ degree would be to do stat or econ-specific work for the firm, but just to understand it better/on a deeper level. if you don't need the degree, then kudos, but it's clearly an indicator that you do without having to prove it first, and will almost certainly add something to your knowledge (not really speaking to either of you there). i know very little about that type of law but i've been clerking for a while now in a guess-what-kind-of-law firm and of course we/clients hire experts to do the work and write reports, but i can see how a degree would be very helpful in understanding those reports, analytics, etc. and making the best argument. i think the analogy's reasonably valid across fields.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:yeah, i don't think the econ degree would be to do stat or econ-specific work for the firm, but just to understand it better/on a deeper level. if you don't need the degree, then kudos, but it's clearly an indicator that you do without having to prove it first, and will almost certainly add something to your knowledge (not really speaking to either of you there). i know very little about that type of law but i've been clerking for a while now in a guess-what-kind-of-law firm and of course we/clients hire experts to do the work and write reports, but i can see how a degree would be very helpful in understanding those reports, analytics, etc. and making the best argument. i think the analogy's reasonably valid across fields.

This is something like how I was thinking, at least regarding firms. Still need to learn more though. Either way, it seems like a great program.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Oh, Prez, you did your trolling duty. You get a gold star! :mrgreen:

Which one do you want?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:33 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Oh, Prez, you did your trolling duty. You get a gold star! :mrgreen:

Which one do you want?

LOL....well done, OS.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:42 pm

I feel like the douchiest undergrads have the least douchey law schools (UVA, Duke, NYU...), but unfortunately the law schools will always have to face up to the douche rep thanks to their respective douchey UGs.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:46 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:I feel like the douchiest undergrads have the least douchey law schools (UVA, Duke, NYU...), but unfortunately the law schools will always have to face up to the douche rep thanks to their respective douchey UGs.

Ah you're preaching to the choir...but suddenly I feel like someone sohuld find and bump the "law schools in pictures" thread.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:59 pm

So do you feel like taking questions? Does it seem like no one cares? Are you bored and tired?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:So do you feel like taking questions? Does it seem like no one cares? Are you bored and tired?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”