Rutgers-Newark 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
king3780

Rutgers-Newark 1L taking questions

Postby king3780 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm a part-timer, but no one else seems to want to start this thread, so I will. Let's have it.

gezwho

Re: Rutgers-Newark 1L taking questions

Postby gezwho » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:40 am

Hey king,
I just got accepted to Rutgers Newark! I have a couple of questions for you....

1. How is the student scene in newark? Do law students go out a lot? Is the student body overly competitive or is there a good mix of social activity?
2. How are the classes? Are there any areas of law that you think are taught better than others?
3. How are the professors? Are they approachable?
4. How is the grading curve? I've heard that the R-N curve is pretty unforgiving (though im not sure if its different from other schools).
5. In your honest opinion, what are the best and worst parts of the law school?

Also, i've heard that nearby grad schools are drug testing their acceptees.....

6. So does rutgers administer a drug test to newly accepted law students?

I know its a lot of questions lol, but if you could answer some of them it would help me out a lot. Thanks!

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 pm

gezwho wrote:Hey king,
I just got accepted to Rutgers Newark! I have a couple of questions for you....

1. How is the student scene in newark? Do law students go out a lot? Is the student body overly competitive or is there a good mix of social activity?
2. How are the classes? Are there any areas of law that you think are taught better than others?
3. How are the professors? Are they approachable?
4. How is the grading curve? I've heard that the R-N curve is pretty unforgiving (though im not sure if its different from other schools).
5. In your honest opinion, what are the best and worst parts of the law school?

Also, i've heard that nearby grad schools are drug testing their acceptees.....

6. So does rutgers administer a drug test to newly accepted law students?

I know its a lot of questions lol, but if you could answer some of them it would help me out a lot. Thanks!

I'll answer here instead of IM so others that might have similar questions can partake.
1. Students here are very friendly. I see a lot of socializing going on. Competitiveness is not super high... if I miss class, I can count on getting notes from any of several different classmates. There seems to be lots of activities and opportunities to learn outside the classroom, especially for day students. There's a bar across the street that seems like a popular spot for law students.
2. Classes vary according to professors. I've had professors who don't care to learn names and don't use a seating chart, professors who only call on volunteers, professors who go hardcore Socratic, etc. Since I'm a 1L, I can't really comment on classes being taught better than others.
3. Professors are friendly and approachable enough. The one complaint I have is the profs with crazy tenure, like 35-40 years teaching at Rutgers... which means they've taught the same way for years and continue to use cases that aren't even in the casebook anymore for class discussion.
4. The grading curve is rather rugged. Grades have to average to roughly 3.0, though it's not a bell shaped curve. For example (an extreme one of course) a professor could give a class of 70 35 A's and 35 C's to meet the curve. Obviously they don't go this far, but I have seen a handful of A's and A-'s balance out a whole slew of B-'s and C+'s.
5. Obviously the area is a minus if you like to hit the club scene or hang around campus after school or whatever. I personally feel plenty safe walking to my car at night, but I wouldn't hang out in Newark for fun. A plus, which may sound weird coming from a white guy, is the diversity. In a class of 70 in my section, less than half the class is white, with a quarter black and the rest split between Asian and Hispanic.
6. I've heard nothing about drug testing.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:41 pm

king3780 wrote:I'm a part-timer, but no one else seems to want to start this thread, so I will. Let's have it.

King,

I am probably going in the fall. Where does it seem the majority of students look for housing? Any suggestions?

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

how does the law school mix with the undergrad and other graduate programs, are the cultures completely separate? do you find yourself fighting for space in the law library with undergrads/the public

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

renee15 wrote:
king3780 wrote:I'm a part-timer, but no one else seems to want to start this thread, so I will. Let's have it.

King,

I am probably going in the fall. Where does it seem the majority of students look for housing? Any suggestions?

Housing is varied. Ironbound neighborhood is popular with day students. I'm in the night program so people come from all over the place, including most surrounding suburbs, central Jersey, Bergen County and NYC. Most of my classmates already lived in NJ before enrolling so they didn't move any closer to campus. I live in Clifton which is 15-20 mins away and is a decent suburb with lots of apartments.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:how does the law school mix with the undergrad and other graduate programs, are the cultures completely separate? do you find yourself fighting for space in the law library with undergrads/the public

The law school and other programs don't really mix. The law school is in the same area as the undergrad, but each group keeps to themselves. There are a couple regulars from the public at the library and no one really from undergrad that I can tell.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 pm

thanks for answering questions king, for day students, would you say students are happier in the early or late track. is one more competitive than the other (ie all the gunners are in the early track - i understand its a low gunner population school but even so)

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:38 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:thanks for answering questions king, for day students, would you say students are happier in the early or late track. is one more competitive than the other (ie all the gunners are in the early track - i understand its a low gunner population school but even so)

I honestly have no clue. I don't even know any day students.

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey King,

Rutgers-Newark is high on my list of law schools I want to go to. If I get accepted I am going to be in the part-time program as well. I am hopefully starting my job in a few weeks and I think I am going to be working from around 30-40 hours a week at that job. I don't know if you chose part-time because you were in a similar situation with a job, or whether you did it for other reasons, but how demanding is the part time program? I will hopefully be able to balance all of this out (30-40 hour work week, with 8 hour classes, and X hours studying). I just wanted to maybe get a general idea of if this is doable and what my social life will be like, or if I even have one at all.

Also do you know if the part time students have the same opportunities as the full time students? I have no clue how I will do in law school, I just want to know if I am already out of the running for things like moot court, law review, journals, etc. because I went part time?

Thanks.

kartal

Postby kartal » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 am

I have couple questions on Rutgers-Newark Law School:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How are the job prospects for the students not at top 10%?

3. What is your favorite part about your law school?

4. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

5. How generous is the school in granting scholarships?

Thanks in advance.

gezwho

Postby gezwho » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Hey king,

how competitive are clinic placements? Does every student genuinely have a chance to enroll in the clinic of their choice or is there cutthroat competition for some (like the Constitutional Litigation Clinic)?

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Think_lax86 wrote:Hey King,

Rutgers-Newark is high on my list of law schools I want to go to. If I get accepted I am going to be in the part-time program as well. I am hopefully starting my job in a few weeks and I think I am going to be working from around 30-40 hours a week at that job. I don't know if you chose part-time because you were in a similar situation with a job, or whether you did it for other reasons, but how demanding is the part time program? I will hopefully be able to balance all of this out (30-40 hour work week, with 8 hour classes, and X hours studying). I just wanted to maybe get a general idea of if this is doable and what my social life will be like, or if I even have one at all.

Also do you know if the part time students have the same opportunities as the full time students? I have no clue how I will do in law school, I just want to know if I am already out of the running for things like moot court, law review, journals, etc. because I went part time?

Thanks.

You've probably already made your decision, but I wanted to answer this question for people in your position in the future. Just about to finish my 1L evening year (still have one more LRW assignment due). A 30-40 hour per week job is no problem at all. You could do 45 or more and it wouldn't really hurt you as long as you get time to study for finals. As far as your social life, after the first few weeks everything is pretty normal. You should be able to confine all of your reading to one day, then you are set for the week. Class discussions aren't too intensive in the evening section since everyone works, and so far my professors have been very understanding about evening students.

It really all depends on where you live. If you are commuting more than an hour each way, it'll be hard on you. I drive about 30 mins to get to school, so if class ends at 8:00, I'm home at 8:30 (or back to work by 8:30 lol!). For me, the hardest part about being a part time law student was getting the people at my work to be understanding of my situation and letting me leave the office both physically and mentally at 5:00.

gezwho wrote:Hey king,

how competitive are clinic placements? Does every student genuinely have a chance to enroll in the clinic of their choice or is there cutthroat competition for some (like the Constitutional Litigation Clinic)?

Sorry, no idea on clinics- as a 1LE, its not something you really hear about. I think clinics, if you can do them at all, are done in your 3LE or 4LE years.

kartal wrote:I have couple questions on Rutgers-Newark Law School:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How are the job prospects for the students not at top 10%?

3. What is your favorite part about your law school?

4. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

5. How generous is the school in granting scholarships?

Thanks in advance.

1. There are two sections for 1LE's - a small section and a big section. The big section classes have the entire 1LE class, or about 70 people. The small section is half of that, or 35. Torts is a big section class, Contracts is a small section. The small section classes have different professors and are sometimes offered at different starting times, which is nice if you need some flexibility.

2. No idea, sorry.

3. I love that it doesn't seem to live up to the cuthroat stereotypes of law schools. The evening students tend to be more "we're in it together"- sharing notes, recorded lectures, study groups, etc. I don't feel pressured by the other students, and we often have to rely on each other when real life makes us miss classes from time to time.

4. So far, the faculty has been hardcore liberal. Hardcore. Some of them are good at keeping their politics outside of the classroom, while others get a little heated during discussions. As a right winger, I'm not finding it unbearable, as all but 1 prof were still open to the idea that some people don't share their views. The student body is mixed, although the more vocal students tend to be liberal (although isn't that how it always is :lol: )

5. I think its somewhat generous, but I don't have one so I don't know.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”