NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ohnoyoudidn't

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby ohnoyoudidn't » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:50 am

I know NYU kicks ass but the rent is outrageous. Does anyone commuting have a general idea how much rent is in their area?

spondee

Postby spondee » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:41 am

ohnoyoudidn't wrote:I know NYU kicks ass but the rent is outrageous. Does anyone commuting have a general idea how much rent is in their area?

You can definitely get better prices but they come with drawbacks obviously. Anywhere from $600 for a room up to dorm prices for your own studio. It just depends on how long of a commute you're willing to make, how many roommates you're willing to have, etc.

I pay a little less than dorm prices, live in Brooklyn, have my own alcove studio in a doorman building, and commute to school in 20 minutes. It's a pretty sweet deal; to be fair, however, I've lived in New York for years and found this apartment while working a "real" job - not right before coming to school. If I were moving to NYC for the first time to start law school and was under the age of 25, I think the dorms might be the best choice.

azlawlady

Postby azlawlady » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 pm

spondee wrote:You can definitely get better prices but they come with drawbacks obviously. Anywhere from $600 for a room up to dorm prices for your own studio. It just depends on how long of a commute you're willing to make, how many roommates you're willing to have, etc.

I pay a little less than dorm prices, live in Brooklyn, have my own alcove studio in a doorman building, and commute to school in 20 minutes. It's a pretty sweet deal; to be fair, however, I've lived in New York for years and found this apartment while working a "real" job - not right before coming to school. If I were moving to NYC for the first time to start law school and was under the age of 25, I think the dorms might be the best choice.

What about those over 25?? Is trying to get your own apt really as much of a PIA as it sounds like it is? Would a backer/co-signer/whatever its called still be needed because of the income issue? Would someone really need to use a broker to get something decent or is it totally possible without (at least for newbies to the city)?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14 pm

azlawlady wrote:
spondee wrote:You can definitely get better prices but they come with drawbacks obviously. Anywhere from $600 for a room up to dorm prices for your own studio. It just depends on how long of a commute you're willing to make, how many roommates you're willing to have, etc.

What about those over 25?? Is trying to get your own apt really as much of a PIA as it sounds like it is? Would a backer/co-signer/whatever its called still be needed because of the income issue? Would someone really need to use a broker to get something decent or is it totally possible without (at least for newbies to the city)?

I am over 25 and in the dorms. It's not ideal, but also not awful. The rental market here isn't as bad as some horror stories make it out to be, but it could be really, really hard to find a good apt at a reasonable price from out of town. 9 months in the dorms would let you learn the city, learn neighborhoods and train lines, and make some word-of-mouth connections.

nthanks98

Postby nthanks98 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm

i took a few years between undergrad and law school, and i'm loving the dorms. it really is so convenient to be right next to the law school, and you have free printing in the lobby, too. they ARE expensive, but if you aren't in a position to find a cheaper place, they're a great choice. also... don't need to worry about subletting if you plan to spend your 1L summer elsewhere.

azlawlady

Postby azlawlady » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for the input renzo and nthanks!

Blazers4Life

Postby Blazers4Life » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:16 pm

nthanks98 wrote:i took a few years between undergrad and law school, and i'm loving the dorms. it really is so convenient to be right next to the law school, and you have free printing in the lobby, too. they ARE expensive, but if you aren't in a position to find a cheaper place, they're a great choice. also... don't need to worry about subletting if you plan to spend your 1L summer elsewhere.

Two questions about this, the first one which might be a dumb question. When I think "dorm" I think "roommate." You don't bunk together like freshman year of college, do you? Second, is on-campus housing not available in the summer?

Blazers4Life

Postby Blazers4Life » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 pm

dbt: I see you had a 174/3.7 and got some merit-based aid (and were in the running for even more). Can I assume 172/3.6 puts me below the merit aid threshold and not get my hopes up? Honestly, I think I'd just be thrilled to be admitted. LSN users with my numbers were 15 for 15 last year plus 3 WL. I'm starting to feel like possibly I'm in "comfortably admitted but paying sticker" territory.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Blazers4Life wrote:
nthanks98 wrote:i took a few years between undergrad and law school, and i'm loving the dorms. it really is so convenient to be right next to the law school, and you have free printing in the lobby, too. they ARE expensive, but if you aren't in a position to find a cheaper place, they're a great choice. also... don't need to worry about subletting if you plan to spend your 1L summer elsewhere.

Two questions about this, the first one which might be a dumb question. When I think "dorm" I think "roommate." You don't bunk together like freshman year of college, do you? Second, is on-campus housing not available in the summer?

No, every roommate has their own room. On campus housing is available during summer for all student I'm pretty sure.

Blazers, I don't know a lot about merit aid, but I had almost your exact numbers (2 years ago) and there was definitely no mention of merit aid.

Blazers4Life

Postby Blazers4Life » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:39 pm

NYU2011 wrote:
Blazers4Life wrote:

No, every roommate has their own room. On campus housing is available during summer for all student I'm pretty sure.

Blazers, I don't know a lot about merit aid, but I had almost your exact numbers (2 years ago) and there was definitely no mention of merit aid.

Thanks for the feedback on the housing. Anyway, I'm of the mindset that going to NYU or Columbia at sticker is the right call over going to Michigan or Duke with a measly $15k/year type scholarship. I hope I'm not being foolish...

jacko

Postby jacko » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:59 am

Does anyone know how NYU does with need based aid?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 am

jacko wrote:Does anyone know how NYU does with need based aid?

All aid outside the "extra-application" scholarships (RTK, scholars programs, etc.) is given on a combination of need and merit. I think it would be impossible to figure out average amounts, but at one meeting a financial aid office rep said that almost 1/3 of the class gets some form of aid.

jacko

Postby jacko » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:52 am

Renzo wrote:
jacko wrote:Does anyone know how NYU does with need based aid?

All aid outside the "extra-application" scholarships (RTK, scholars programs, etc.) is given on a combination of need and merit. I think it would be impossible to figure out average amounts, but at one meeting a financial aid office rep said that almost 1/3 of the class gets some form of aid.

Thanks Renzo. Does that seem a little low. I may be wrong, but I think that I recently read somewhere that 90% of Berkeley students get some type of aid. 1/3 seems kind of low compared to other schools in the T14.

jacko

Postby jacko » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:56 am

Found it. Right below COA --LinkRemoved--

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:59 am

I think that NYU has a reputation for being a bit stingier with aid than some schools, but I think that result is larger awards to fewer students as opposed to smaller awards to everyone.

I also think that money is awarded as LRAP instead of financial aid, in part because the school really takes the PI commitment seriously. The result is that many people get nothing up front, but if you go into PI or government (note: most schools don't count prosecutorial work as PI, NYU does) your loans are paid.

badfish

Postby badfish » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Renzo wrote:I think that NYU has a reputation for being a bit stingier with aid than some schools, but I think that result is larger awards to fewer students as opposed to smaller awards to everyone.

I also think that money is awarded as LRAP instead of financial aid, in part because the school really takes the PI commitment seriously. The result is that many people get nothing up front, but if you go into PI or government (note: most schools don't count prosecutorial work as PI, NYU does) your loans are paid.

this

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:19 am

dbt wrote:It looks like these threads are popping up...if you got any questions, shoot.

if you look a lot like your avatar, I think I saw you one day in Mercer haha... took me a while to realize why you looked familiar.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Renzo wrote:I think that NYU has a reputation for being a bit stingier with aid than some schools, but I think that result is larger awards to fewer students as opposed to smaller awards to everyone.

I agree with this. I think most people are in a pretty similar boat financially...everyone has to take out loans and I think it makes far more sense to help out those who take the lower paying jobs at the end than to randomly help some people but not others at the start. It levels the playing field.

I somewhat suspect that one of the reasons I got such a generous award was b/c I was not eligible for any loans.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:37 pm

Not sure if any 2Ls(or extremely knowledgeable 1Ls) are reading this but does anyone know if there is a way to appeal the elective? I really *really* want international law...some of the jobs I want to apply for this summer require it, and the fact that I could take int law as a 1L was one of the reasons I chose NYU over Columbia...and they stuck me in my 3rd choice. Does anyone know if theres anything I can do?

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Sophie, I don't know about appealing, but a lot of people last year ended up switching their elective. You can sign up when someone drops the class. You can try posting to coases to see if anyone wants to switch for the elective you did get, or just ask to let you know if they're planning on dropping. Even in the first few weeks of class next semester people will probably drop it so you can add. If it gets close and you haven't been able to add it I would probably contact the professor and let them know your situation. Good luck

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Yeah, you need to do a contingent add/drop. How did you allocate your points? You're the first person I've met who didn't get their first choice!

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Renzo wrote:Yeah, you need to do a contingent add/drop. How did you allocate your points? You're the first person I've met who didn't get their first choice!

I think International Law and maybe one of the Property classes were the only ones which were oversubscribed.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 pm

red_sox wrote:
Renzo wrote:Yeah, you need to do a contingent add/drop. How did you allocate your points? You're the first person I've met who didn't get their first choice!

I think International Law and maybe one of the Property classes were the only ones which were oversubscribed.

I allocated 1000 to international. I had property as my first alt, and con as my 2nd. I somehow am the only person I know that got neither their first or second choice and STILL bid 1000...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow. The gods of random selection really hate you.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:49 am

Who in your opinion(s) are the best teachers, and why?

tyia

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”