NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sophie316

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby sophie316 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

I think it's the same as "Regulation and Legislation" at Harvard. At least, my prof from this year taught that course at Harvard two years ago and judging by the exam/model answers she gave us she taught it the exact same at both schools.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 pm

sophie316 wrote:I think it's the same as "Regulation and Legislation" at Harvard. At least, my prof from this year taught that course at Harvard two years ago and judging by the exam/model answers she gave us she taught it the exact same at both schools.

Every school will have a version of Administrative law. NYU is only unique in that it's a required 1st year class.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Renzo wrote:
sophie316 wrote:I think it's the same as "Regulation and Legislation" at Harvard. At least, my prof from this year taught that course at Harvard two years ago and judging by the exam/model answers she gave us she taught it the exact same at both schools.

Every school will have a version of Administrative law. NYU is only unique in that it's a required 1st year class.

I think it's required at harvard as a 1l class too, altho i could be wrong

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:40 pm

sophie316 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Might be. It actually makes more sense as a required class than a lot of the traditional 1L classes.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:55 pm

sophie316 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

It is required at Harvard as a 1L class. The same type of class is offered at other schools as "legislation" and such, but no other top school that I know of other than Harvard and NYU requires it for 1Ls. Or requires it all for that matter.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Given all the problems I (and others) have had with NYU's website, is the rest of their IT stuff as awful? Are there problems with ALBERT and when it comes to registration stuff? And like any class websites too (I don't know if they use blackboard or whatever)? Just curious as to what I'm going to be in for given how much the website sucks (sorry, NYU! Love you!).

And a super random question: are the washers in the dorms high efficiency (i.e., do they require high efficiency detergent?)

spondee

Postby spondee » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. As far as the important stuff, I've never had any web or tech problems.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 pm

mockstar wrote:Given all the problems I (and others) have had with NYU's website, is the rest of their IT stuff as awful? Are there problems with ALBERT and when it comes to registration stuff? And like any class websites too (I don't know if they use blackboard or whatever)? Just curious as to what I'm going to be in for given how much the website sucks (sorry, NYU! Love you!).

And a super random question: are the washers in the dorms high efficiency (i.e., do they require high efficiency detergent?)

I don't know what problems you've had, but NYU's IT services should be the envy of the universe. Everything works, and always; and when it doesn't the folks that fix it are great.

Washers are HE, so you need liquid, but HE detergent is a scam. You can use regular detergent in an HE machine, you just need to use less.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:49 pm

What do most people wear to class? Do people wear jeans like in college or do most people dress up or wear business casual to treat it like "professional school"?

I'm packing up my DC apartment now and trying to figure out which close to designate for NY.

zanda

Postby zanda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:57 pm

democrattotheend wrote:What do most people wear to class? Do people wear jeans like in college or do most people dress up or wear business casual to treat it like "professional school"?

I'm packing up my DC apartment now and trying to figure out which close to designate for NY.

People feel free to wear tee shirts and jeans. Some people dress nicer everyday, but it's far from the majority.

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Great info here, thanks for answering all these questions.

My question: How many people plan to go west/to CA to practice? I know the stats say 10%, but do you have any first hand info on this? Are people generally succsesful doing this and do west coast firms/offices come to OCI? Thanks!

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:05 pm

The lecture halls/school buildings are air-conditioned, right? I just realized that when I visited it was in the spring so I wouldn't have noticed if they weren't.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Yes to A/C.

Re: Cali- plenty of CA firms come to OCI, you could fill your entire bid list with them if you wanted. Nothing official on this, but anecdotally I heard for last OCI those who focused on CA were much less successful than others.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:36 pm

a question for someone who lived in law school housing (if possible, someone who moved into an apartment that had previously been vacant) :

uh, how clean was the apartment when you moved in ? I just got an e-mail informing me that since they don't have a lot of time between move-ins and move-outs, they only clean "what is necessary," which sounded a little ominous, and i was wondering whether i should arrive with a bucket of bleach and my OCD goggles on.

zanda

Postby zanda » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 am

neimanmarxist wrote:a question for someone who lived in law school housing (if possible, someone who moved into an apartment that had previously been vacant) :

uh, how clean was the apartment when you moved in ? I just got an e-mail informing me that since they don't have a lot of time between move-ins and move-outs, they only clean "what is necessary," which sounded a little ominous, and i was wondering whether i should arrive with a bucket of bleach and my OCD goggles on.

not terribly clean

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:06 am

Rising 2Ls: about how much did you spend on books for the first and second semesters?

zanda

Postby zanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am

legalnoeagle wrote:Rising 2Ls: about how much did you spend on books for the first and second semesters?

First year I bought from the bookstore... I think I was too worried about all of the other stuff (getting my financial aid, not being the worst law student in the history of law school [I hear I'm not the only one who had these fears], getting acclimated in the city), and so I think I spent like 800 in the fall, 500 or 600 in the Spring... the difference mostly being because I didn't need to buy Lawyering books in the Spring, and to a much lesser extent because my classes happened to be a little cheaper.

This semester I'm buying as many books as possible online and even though I'll probably have to buy one or two from the bookstore, I'm looking more at something like 300/350.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm

I bought books in the bookstore first semester and probably spent close to $700; every semester since I've gotten everything I can via coases and probably haven't spent more than $300 for a semester

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:47 am

Where is the best place to park near D'Agostino after unloading the car? I could swear I found a garage that was less than $40 in the area but now I can't remember which one it is.

I am moving in next Sunday, and we are not sure whether Sunday afternoon or Sunday evening is better in terms of traffic/space to unload/possibility of street parking.

Any other advice for moving into D'Agostino would be appreciated.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:46 pm

NYU2011 wrote:I bought books in the bookstore first semester and probably spent close to $700; every semester since I've gotten everything I can via coases and probably haven't spent more than $300 for a semester

Thanks to you both for the info. Looks like their holding our feet to the fire by not telling us our section assignment until orientation.

cosmopolitan

Postby cosmopolitan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Are most 1Ls on some sort of meal plan?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 pm

cosmopolitan wrote:Are most 1Ls on some sort of meal plan?

Yes. The plan is that 1/2 your meals come from Mammoun's and 1/2 come from Ben's Pizza.

I'm not actually sure that a meal plan is available, and if it is, you don't want it. It would require you walking 1/2 a mile or so every time you want to eat.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 am

Renzo wrote:
cosmopolitan wrote:Are most 1Ls on some sort of meal plan?

Yes. The plan is that 1/2 your meals come from Mammoun's and 1/2 come from Ben's Pizza.

I'm not actually sure that a meal plan is available, and if it is, you don't want it. It would require you walking 1/2 a mile or so every time you want to eat.

Mammoouuuuun's! $2.50 falafel, amirite? Hell yeah.

Between that, Ben's, the Dosa man, and Subway, I think I just might not die of hunger in NYC after all.

spondee

Postby spondee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:26 am

And $5 burritos at Qdoba.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:27 am

spondee wrote:And $5 burritos at Qdoba.

Trudat. Also, 20-cent wings at 1849.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”