NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:59 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Renzo wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:A few more questions about housing (sorry!):

It does not say anything about this on the website, but I am assuming roommate matchings are single-gender unless otherwise requested, right? Are co-ed apartments an option?

Also, do they typically assign roommates who are in the same section, or different sections? I am thinking it might be good to have a roommate in the same section to compare notes with, but the advantage of someone in a different section is less bathroom conflict because of different schedules.

Roommates are same-sex, but I think there is a procedure for allowing mixed-sex apartments with the consent of everyone involved. The roommates aren't assigned by section, and that's good. You'll be sick of the people in your section by the end of the year, its good to have opportunities to meet other classmates.

That makes sense. Should I ask for a roommate in a different section, or do they just do it that way automatically?

Also, do most 2L's and 3L's who want housing get it, or do a lot of people get shut out and forced to find housing off campus?
I think the roommates are assigned randomly. As for 2L/3L's everyone I know who wanted to stay in the dorms got the type of room they wanted. The vast majority leave after the first year, so there seems to be plenty of room for those who want to stay.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am

Does anyone happen to still have the orientation schedule from last year? Kind of curious to know what we are in for, even though it will probably be a little different. I know they don't give out ours until close to the start.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:14 am

This blog (of another TLSer, i.don't.wear.skinny.jeans) has a pretty detailed description of last year's orientation, starting on August 19. Enjoy!

--LinkRemoved--

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:23 am

democrattotheend wrote:Does anyone happen to still have the orientation schedule from last year? Kind of curious to know what we are in for, even though it will probably be a little different. I know they don't give out ours until close to the start.

It was sooooooo fucking long last year. It was pretty much universally complained about, so hopefully they'll shorten it a bit this year.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Are there outlets at each seat in the classrooms? Trying to weigh battery life as a factor in my laptop purchase.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:54 pm

nattybro wrote:Are there outlets at each seat in the classrooms? Trying to weigh battery life as a factor in my laptop purchase.

Yup. No shortage of electricity anywhere in the buildings--lounges, library, classrooms, are all cornucopias of outlets.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Sat May 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Are most 1L exams open book, open note, or completely closed book? I know this probably varies somewhat by professor, but just to get a general idea.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Definitely varies.

Most are open-book, open-note exams, but with your computer locked down (i.e., can only use your computer to type the answer - can't access Internet/notes files). Maybe half the exams fit this model.

Next most common, I'd say, is take-home.

Third, closed book, closed note.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat May 01, 2010 2:07 pm

spondee wrote:Definitely varies.

Most are open-book, open-note exams, but with your computer locked down (i.e., can only use your computer to type the answer - can't access Internet/notes files). Maybe half the exams fit this model.

Next most common, I'd say, is take-home.

Third, closed book, closed note.

Yeah. I've had 3 open-note lockdown exams, 2 take-homes, and one open-note, in-class exam that wasn't locked down. Theoretically it would have been possible to google stuff during the exam, but the Prof. laughed at the idea anyone would have time for that.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:36 pm

going to be filling out the housing application pretty soon. are there noticeable differences between L, M, and U, with regards to sound, etc? In you opinion is Mercer worth the extra grand our two a year over Dag? Thanks!

forza

Postby forza » Wed May 05, 2010 10:15 am

This thread has been very helpful, thanks guys. I just have one question:

If I'm having trouble setting up my NetID/NYU e-mail, and ITS hasn't told me much more than "it may take time for you to get put into the system", who would be the right person to contact at the law school about this?

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

When's the "normal" date to move into Dag and Mercer?

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:16 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:When's the "normal" date to move into Dag and Mercer?

NM Found it : )

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:32 pm

I do have another question if anyone can chime in. Is it worth getting a dining plan through NYU? I'd imagine with the myriad of eateries around you'd want to indulge in those, but does it ultimately cost a lot more eating out? What do most people do at NYU Law for dining options?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

abitaman6363 wrote:I do have another question if anyone can chime in. Is it worth getting a dining plan through NYU? I'd imagine with the myriad of eateries around you'd want to indulge in those, but does it ultimately cost a lot more eating out? What do most people do at NYU Law for dining options?

I am vaguely aware that NYU has a dining plan, but beyond that...

There are dozens, even hundreds of cheap and wonderful places around the school to eat. Probably some of the best dining in the world (at all price ranges) literally surrounds the law school.

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Renzo wrote:
abitaman6363 wrote:I do have another question if anyone can chime in. Is it worth getting a dining plan through NYU? I'd imagine with the myriad of eateries around you'd want to indulge in those, but does it ultimately cost a lot more eating out? What do most people do at NYU Law for dining options?

I am vaguely aware that NYU has a dining plan, but beyond that...

There are dozens, even hundreds of cheap and wonderful places around the school to eat. Probably some of the best dining in the world (at all price ranges) literally surrounds the law school.

You rock Renzo. No dining plan then. Heading out of the country until August and trying to take care of all this before returning!

Gold Dust Woman

Postby Gold Dust Woman » Thu May 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Can anyone speak to the noise issues btw L, M, and U floors? Is it really that distracting to be on the noisy side or on a lower floor?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu May 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Gold Dust Woman wrote:Can anyone speak to the noise issues btw L, M, and U floors? Is it really that distracting to be on the noisy side or on a lower floor?

I'm one of the privileged few who towers above all the peons below, so I can't really say. Best way to handle the noise is to go out drinking until late, then you're a part of the problem instead of a victim.

forza

Postby forza » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Renzo wrote:
Gold Dust Woman wrote:Can anyone speak to the noise issues btw L, M, and U floors? Is it really that distracting to be on the noisy side or on a lower floor?

I'm one of the privileged few who towers above all the peons below, so I can't really say. Best way to handle the noise is to go out drinking until late, then you're a part of the problem instead of a victim.

:lol:

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:41 pm

I would imagine living on the 1st floor on the Broadway side of Mercer could be pretty bad. I lived on a lower level on the 3rd street side and it wasn't too bad, but I'm a heavy sleeper. There was also construction going on across the street which made it worse, I have no idea if that's still going on

mwazaumoja

Postby mwazaumoja » Fri May 07, 2010 2:30 am

My friends live on the lower level of Mercer, and complain that they can't ever have their windows open because it's so loud. Your best bet is to live high up, you'll get a better view, and noise will be far less of an issue.

However, at the end of the day it's Greenwich Village.... So it'll be loud.

forza

Postby forza » Tue May 11, 2010 3:04 am

Here's a question: how good do you have to be to make the basketball team (Dean's Cup)?

Should probably spend this summer knocking down 3s...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 am

forza wrote:Here's a question: how good do you have to be to make the basketball team (Dean's Cup)?

Should probably spend this summer knocking down 3s...

Hells yeah you should. That's serious business. We've GOT to beat Columbia at something

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon May 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Ok, this is going to sound moronic, and not NYU-specific, but do most people carry backpacks, messenger bags, or something else? I don't remember a lot of people in undergrad carrying backpacks (especially girls, who mostly had those large shoulder bag thingies), possibly because they're kind of a hassle, especially with winter coats. But I also know that law school books are super heavy, and it seems like a backpack might be the most pain-free way to handle that. So does everyone just suck it up and buy a backpack?

Anything but a nerd-luggage wheelie bag is ok and common. Plenty of backpacks, lots of messenger bag, lots of women with tote-type bags.

Can I get away with using a bookbag with a waist strap like this: --LinkRemoved-- or this: --LinkRemoved--

I know the waist strap looks a little dorky, but it's the only alternative to a rolling bag that I think would work for me. Will people be judgmental about that the way they are about rolling bags?

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:05 pm

No one will care what your bag looks like as long as it doesn't get in their way like wheelie bags do.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”