NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tangerine Gleam

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Any current (0L doesn't count) NYU students interested in getting paid to write an expanded profile on NYU for TLS? PM me if interested.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Is there bar review tomorrow night? If so, what bar and what time? I am visiting tomorrow and was thinking that would be a good way to talk to current students/observe people in their natural habitat (as opposed to ASW, which is designed to sell the school). If anyone is going and is willing to meet me so I don't feel totally awkward going by myself, that would be awesome.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Any current (0L doesn't count) NYU students interested in getting paid to write an expanded profile on NYU for TLS? PM me if interested.

Do I have to do any research, or just churn out copy? Because the latter I might do for free, the former I won't do at all.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Is there bar review tomorrow night? If so, what bar and what time? I am visiting tomorrow and was thinking that would be a good way to talk to current students/observe people in their natural habitat (as opposed to ASW, which is designed to sell the school). If anyone is going and is willing to meet me so I don't feel totally awkward going by myself, that would be awesome.

There's no bar review tomorrow because it's Dean's Cup at Columbia

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am

Are most students who want to stay in NYU housing after the first year able to, or do a lot of students get shut out because there's not enough for everyone who wants one?

Also, any tips on what to select for housing as a current student? I am leaning towards D'Ag, and I liked the model unit I saw, but someone said that a lot of units are smaller and more run down than the model unit they show. Anyone know about that? Any advice for filling out the housing application, like anything special I should request that I might not think of without living there?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok, this is going to sound moronic, and not NYU-specific, but do most people carry backpacks, messenger bags, or something else? I don't remember a lot of people in undergrad carrying backpacks (especially girls, who mostly had those large shoulder bag thingies), possibly because they're kind of a hassle, especially with winter coats. But I also know that law school books are super heavy, and it seems like a backpack might be the most pain-free way to handle that. So does everyone just suck it up and buy a backpack?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:06 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Are most students who want to stay in NYU housing after the first year able to, or do a lot of students get shut out because there's not enough for everyone who wants one?

Also, any tips on what to select for housing as a current student? I am leaning towards D'Ag, and I liked the model unit I saw, but someone said that a lot of units are smaller and more run down than the model unit they show. Anyone know about that? Any advice for filling out the housing application, like anything special I should request that I might not think of without living there?

I don't know what you saw as a model, but the D'ag rooms are smaller than Mercer generally. Also, little known fact: Mercer has like a zillion times more laundry facility capacity than D'ag. However, D'ag tends so be a little quieter on average, is closer to the school, and has better views.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Ok, this is going to sound moronic, and not NYU-specific, but do most people carry backpacks, messenger bags, or something else? I don't remember a lot of people in undergrad carrying backpacks (especially girls, who mostly had those large shoulder bag thingies), possibly because they're kind of a hassle, especially with winter coats. But I also know that law school books are super heavy, and it seems like a backpack might be the most pain-free way to handle that. So does everyone just suck it up and buy a backpack?

Anything but a nerd-luggage wheelie bag is ok and common. Plenty of backpacks, lots of messenger bag, lots of women with tote-type bags.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:27 pm

Renzo wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Ok, this is going to sound moronic, and not NYU-specific, but do most people carry backpacks, messenger bags, or something else? I don't remember a lot of people in undergrad carrying backpacks (especially girls, who mostly had those large shoulder bag thingies), possibly because they're kind of a hassle, especially with winter coats. But I also know that law school books are super heavy, and it seems like a backpack might be the most pain-free way to handle that. So does everyone just suck it up and buy a backpack?

Anything but a nerd-luggage wheelie bag is ok and common. Plenty of backpacks, lots of messenger bag, lots of women with tote-type bags.

What's wrong with a wheelie bag? I have a cranky neck and don't want to have to carry the books on my back, so I was planning to get a wheelie bag. Why is that not ok?

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:00 pm

An NYU student told me that D'Ag has free printing, is this true at Mercer as well?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:An NYU student told me that D'Ag has free printing, is this true at Mercer as well?

Free printing everywhere for all law students- in the library and in both dorms.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
What's wrong with a wheelie bag? ?

The real answer is: the same thing thats wrong with orthopedic shoes and fanny packs. No matter how functional they may be, some things are just not worth the social cost of looking like a joke, barring some terrible physical disability.

But, on a practical note, there are a lot of stairs, and the hallways can get congested at times. You'll end up carrying it a lot anyway, and running people over (and making them hate you).

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Renzo wrote:

What's wrong with a wheelie bag? I have a cranky neck and don't want to have to carry the books on my back, so I was planning to get a wheelie bag. Why is that not ok?

I have a really bad back and neck...get your books cut. Way easier than a wheelie bag. I've never had a problem w my books being too heavy.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 pm

For those of you who have sought public interest jobs or plan to go that route, do you ever feel like going to NYU can be as much of an impediment as an asset, because there's more competition for the PI jobs than at most other schools? Or is that outweighed by the resources and connections the public interest career center has?

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Figured I could share some pics from the Lester Pollack Colloquium room on the ninth floor of Furman Hall for anyone that didn't get a chance to see it.

This is the room itself:

This is the view looking directly at the Empire State Building:

and I tried to get the Washington Square Park arch for this one:

spondee

Postby spondee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 pm

democrattotheend wrote:For those of you who have sought public interest jobs or plan to go that route, do you ever feel like going to NYU can be as much of an impediment as an asset, because there's more competition for the PI jobs than at most other schools? Or is that outweighed by the resources and connections the public interest career center has?

I don't think an increase in PI students could cause competition problems. There are a lot of public interest jobs, of all different types, and not every student is competing for the same ones. Most PI students aren't focused on "I want to work for the ACLU" so much as "I want to help immigrant children" or "I want to help domestic abuse victims," etc. So an increase of PI students at a school doesn't really increase competition for jobs. By comparison, students seeking clerkships are competing for a very finite number of positions and each person's priority is the essentially same (prestige, prestige, prestige), so an increase in interested students means an increase in competition.

I think it's definitely an asset. Because there are so many PI students at NYU, there's a lot of support (a second career services office devoted to PI, for instance), a large alumni network, and regular PI events in the calendar.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:23 pm

NYU2011 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Is there bar review tomorrow night? If so, what bar and what time? I am visiting tomorrow and was thinking that would be a good way to talk to current students/observe people in their natural habitat (as opposed to ASW, which is designed to sell the school). If anyone is going and is willing to meet me so I don't feel totally awkward going by myself, that would be awesome.

There's no bar review tomorrow because it's Dean's Cup at Columbia

How does one go about joining the Dean Cup team? This is very, very relevant to my interests.

telephuse

Postby telephuse » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 pm

Last edited by telephuse on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:33 pm

telephuse wrote:any misgivings about taking NYU over a lower-ranked school with $$?

Only if the lower-ranked school was in a region that you much preferred.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Why are your admissions office, career prospects, and faculty so TTT?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:35 pm

D Brooks wrote:Why are your admissions office, career prospects, and faculty so TTT?

Because we're not T5.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Renzo wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Why are your admissions office, career prospects, and faculty so TTT?

Because we're not T5.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Renzo wrote:

Because we're not T5.

BTW, I thought you went to CLS. Silly me.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 pm

As punishment for this attempt at trolling, I'm gonna stay on the Chicago waitlist, and get in, just to spite you.

:wink:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 pm

legalnoeagle wrote:

As punishment for this attempt at trolling, I'm gonna stay on the Chicago waitlist, and get in, just to spite you.

:wink:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”