NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey,

Thanks for answering my questions.

Does anyone know if there's any advantage to applying earlier for housing, or does it not matter as long as you apply by the deadline? Are people who accept their admission offers and apply for housing a few weeks before the deadline more likely to get their first choice?

Other than studios, which they said most 1L's won't get, do any types of apartments fill up quickly?

Thanks!

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby BenJ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 pm

This is a really specific question, but what do you guys think are the differences (if any) between the apartments on the higher and lower floors in D'Ag and Mercer? Are higher floors worth the slightly higher price for being a bit quieter (further from the street) or does it just not matter (and paying for the higher floor is just paying for the view)?

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby dbt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm

I think it matters depending on whether your room will be on the same side as, for D'Ag - MacDougal St., or for Mercer - Broadway. If your room is on one of the quieter streets, it's not going to make too much of a difference.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm

dbt wrote: If your room is on one of the quieter streets, it's not going to make too much of a difference.

This. Unfortunately you don't know which side of the building you'll be on until after you pick which floors you prefer. But being near street level on the MacDougal side of D'ag would suck in the event you are a light sleeper or like to go to bed early on weekends.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby scribelaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

I'll be paying sticker if I go to NYU.

Do you think it's worth it, just on its own merits not in comparison to other offers?

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby badfish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 pm

scribelaw wrote:I'll be paying sticker if I go to NYU.

Do you think it's worth it, just on its own merits not in comparison to other offers?


Ask me in again in a few years...

Edit ... I have complete faith that it will be (but I'm also planning on utilizing LRAP).

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby dbt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

scribelaw wrote:I'll be paying sticker if I go to NYU.

Do you think it's worth it, just on its own merits not in comparison to other offers?


I think I'd take money at MVP if I had that option.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Give me as many reasons as possible that NYU is better than CLS--I want to be sold. People might mention "vibe" but I actually thought the vibe at both places was nice (believe it or not).

Also, feel free to list the things you dislike about NYU.

jlk86
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby jlk86 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

dbt wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I'll be paying sticker if I go to NYU.

Do you think it's worth it, just on its own merits not in comparison to other offers?


I think I'd take money at MVP if I had that option.


Just curious- what about Duke or Northwestern?

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby dbt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 pm

I think I would take NYU sticker over Duke/NU unless you were talking a/b full-ride or close to it.

mwazaumoja
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby mwazaumoja » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:09 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Give me as many reasons as possible that NYU is better than CLS--I want to be sold. People might mention "vibe" but I actually thought the vibe at both places was nice (believe it or not).

Also, feel free to list the things you dislike about NYU.


I would like to sell you on it, but honestly it's not really possible. On balance the schools are essentially the same, and if the vibe at Columbia and NYU struck you as roughly the same, I'd pick something relatively inconsequential as the basis for choosing.

For me, it was the Courtyard at Vanderbilt Hall in the Springtime.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby badfish » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm

mwazaumoja wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:Give me as many reasons as possible that NYU is better than CLS--I want to be sold. People might mention "vibe" but I actually thought the vibe at both places was nice (believe it or not).

Also, feel free to list the things you dislike about NYU.


I would like to sell you on it, but honestly it's not really possible. On balance the schools are essentially the same, and if the vibe at Columbia and NYU struck you as roughly the same, I'd pick something relatively inconsequential as the basis for choosing.

For me, it was the Courtyard at Vanderbilt Hall in the Springtime.


The blossoms were out in full force in the courtyard today. Should be nice for the last ASW.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby dbt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:20 am

badfish wrote:
mwazaumoja wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:Give me as many reasons as possible that NYU is better than CLS--I want to be sold. People might mention "vibe" but I actually thought the vibe at both places was nice (believe it or not).

Also, feel free to list the things you dislike about NYU.


I would like to sell you on it, but honestly it's not really possible. On balance the schools are essentially the same, and if the vibe at Columbia and NYU struck you as roughly the same, I'd pick something relatively inconsequential as the basis for choosing.

For me, it was the Courtyard at Vanderbilt Hall in the Springtime.


The blossoms were out in full force in the courtyard today. Should be nice for the last ASW.


it was so sudden too! the blossoms around here are absolutely beautiful, particularly so in the courtyard. and the village is even more active than usual with lots of kids and visitors now. it's really cool.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 am

Ok, but seriously, where do I have to rank in the class to have a good shot at biglaw? I'll take a guess from anyone who currently attends NYU but I would like a %.

This is such a key question and everyone at every school pussyfoots around it.

I would really really appreciate an answer - pretty please with lots of sugar on top.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:00 am

Veyron wrote:Ok, but seriously, where do I have to rank in the class to have a good shot at biglaw? I'll take a guess from anyone who currently attends NYU but I would like a %.

This is such a key question and everyone at every school pussyfoots around it.

I would really really appreciate an answer - pretty please with lots of sugar on top.

Good shot? I'd say 80% of the class has a "good shot."

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 am

dbt wrote:
badfish wrote:
mwazaumoja wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:Give me as many reasons as possible that NYU is better than CLS--I want to be sold. People might mention "vibe" but I actually thought the vibe at both places was nice (believe it or not).

Also, feel free to list the things you dislike about NYU.


I would like to sell you on it, but honestly it's not really possible. On balance the schools are essentially the same, and if the vibe at Columbia and NYU struck you as roughly the same, I'd pick something relatively inconsequential as the basis for choosing.

For me, it was the Courtyard at Vanderbilt Hall in the Springtime.


The blossoms were out in full force in the courtyard today. Should be nice for the last ASW.


it was so sudden too! the blossoms around here are absolutely beautiful, particularly so in the courtyard. and the village is even more active than usual with lots of kids and visitors now. it's really cool.

It's absolutely incredible. If I had seen the courtyard as it looks now, it would have made my law school decision on the spot.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby sophie316 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Veyron wrote:Ok, but seriously, where do I have to rank in the class to have a good shot at biglaw? I'll take a guess from anyone who currently attends NYU but I would like a %.

This is such a key question and everyone at every school pussyfoots around it.

I would really really appreciate an answer - pretty please with lots of sugar on top.


According to my friend that is a 2l, everyone he knows that wanted a firm gig got one except for the people that had below median grades and only bid on the very top firms. As long as you go about it sensibly, I think most people get a firm job if they want one.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 pm

sophie316 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Ok, but seriously, where do I have to rank in the class to have a good shot at biglaw? I'll take a guess from anyone who currently attends NYU but I would like a %.

This is such a key question and everyone at every school pussyfoots around it.

I would really really appreciate an answer - pretty please with lots of sugar on top.


According to my friend that is a 2l, everyone he knows that wanted a firm gig got one except for the people that had below median grades and only bid on the very top firms. As long as you go about it sensibly, I think most people get a firm job if they want one.

OP really grates on me, so I wasn't going to respond, but I would agree with this. I think 80% or more of the class has "a good shot" at biglaw. Not all of those want it, and some will have to work harder than others, but almost everyone has "a good shot."

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:48 pm

[/quote]
OP really grates on me, so I wasn't going to respond, but I would agree with this. I think 80% or more of the class has "a good shot" at biglaw. Not all of those want it, and some will have to work harder than others, but almost everyone has "a good shot."[/quote]

Sorry for the phrasing. Asking it any more smoothly always seems to result in "you'll get in everywhere you apply" levels of specificity. Why do people hate this question so much anyways? People looked at me like a leper at the ASW's when I asked this question in person.

80% of the class is better than I was expecting in any event.

Thank you for your responses. Law school is an investment and its good to know what I am getting into. Any other insights are greatly appreciated.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Veyron wrote:Sorry for the phrasing. Asking it any more smoothly always seems to result in "you'll get in everywhere you apply" levels of specificity. Why do people hate this question so much anyways? People looked at me like a leper at the ASW's when I asked this question in person.

In any event, thank you for your responses. Law school is an investment and its good to know what I am getting into.

It's not the question that grates on me, it's you. I suspect you may have had the same problem in person.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Renzo wrote:
Veyron wrote:Sorry for the phrasing. Asking it any more smoothly always seems to result in "you'll get in everywhere you apply" levels of specificity. Why do people hate this question so much anyways? People looked at me like a leper at the ASW's when I asked this question in person.

In any event, thank you for your responses. Law school is an investment and its good to know what I am getting into.

It's not the question that grates on me, it's you. I suspect you may have had the same problem in person.


Naw, I'm adorable in person.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby KG_CalGuy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Any chance you could give us a realistic estimate of how much debt you'll graduate with? I ran some numbers on federal loans today and the number was significantly higher than the ~$200k figure most people report once you account for capitalized interest

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Any chance you could give us a realistic estimate of how much debt you'll graduate with? I ran some numbers on federal loans today and the number was significantly higher than the ~$200k figure most people report once you account for capitalized interest

I've never capitalized the interest and calculated it, and I'm not going to now. It would induce a full-on anxiety attack. Just looking at the amount of principle I'll have borrowed makes me nauseous.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:27 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Any chance you could give us a realistic estimate of how much debt you'll graduate with? I ran some numbers on federal loans today and the number was significantly higher than the ~$200k figure most people report once you account for capitalized interest


there was a loan officer here the other day who was answering questions. One piece of advice they gave which I thought was really solid was to keep up with the interest while you are in school, using summer pay or anything else you can scrounge up. In the long run, it will make a pretty big difference in the total that you owe. I thought that was really solid advice.

KG_CalGuy
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:18 am

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby KG_CalGuy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Renzo wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:Any chance you could give us a realistic estimate of how much debt you'll graduate with? I ran some numbers on federal loans today and the number was significantly higher than the ~$200k figure most people report once you account for capitalized interest

I've never capitalized the interest and calculated it, and I'm not going to now. It would induce a full-on anxiety attack. Just looking at the amount of principle I'll have borrowed makes me nauseous.


I imagine I'll feel the same way this time next year




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: davey jones, MSNbot Media and 4 guests