NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ihatelaw

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby ihatelaw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 pm

ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:Hi everyone, I hope some current students can answer my questions! (and hopefully my questions are not redundant)

1. Of the four NYU residential buildings, which one is the best? Which would you recommend for a 1L? I am somewhat shy so I need to be immersed in the law school experience. I know if i lived offcampus I would probably isolate myself and not meet many new people. So considering that, what do you think? And what are the drawbacks?

2. Someone told me that Columbia law students are wined and dined by employers and the school every weekend. I am not sure that's the case today with the economy and all, but is this true for NYU students as well? have you heard this or was i lied to?

3. When do they start sending information to admitted students? once we send in the deposit? I'm anxiously looking at the mail every single day hoping for some more information from NYU!

4. I am pretty poor - i mean, i have a decent job - it doesn't make that much - i got laid off this year...and i am 25 so only my income will be counted in the financial aid determination and my parents do not intend to help me out (nor can they - they are poor too.) Am i about to make the biggest mistake of my life by enrolling? BE. HONEST. Like, do you know other piss-poor people who went, and came out o.k. financially, i mean, who weren't killing themselves with guilt and struggling more than the rest of the people, and who didn't have to drop out due to finances?
I do anticipate the loans, but i guess my mom is whispering in my ear and it's getting to me. (she also just doesn't want me to leave.....)

Thanks!! :)

I figured I'd add on to living in NY question. I've done this in a few threads where people bring up the cost of NYU, and no doubt going to law school is expensive. The problem is that people think that NYU is far more expensive than other schools due to COL, and thats, honestly, not true. I doubt an NYU student will leave school with more debt than a student in nearly any other law school in a major city (Harvard, UCLA, Columbia, Georgetown, etc).

The good thing is living in NY doesn't have to be as expensive as people make it. Part of the reason people spend all their money in law school is they go to bars a lot and they go out to eat a lot. If you don't do this your cost of living will drop significantly. I'm not saying don't go out to bars or don't eat out, but in moderation you'll find your COL isn't as awful as it sometimes is portrayed.

Also, living in a dorm is a good idea if you are shy. Living in Queens or Brooklyn is a good idea if you want to save money (anywhere from $300 - $600 a month depending on how far away you go). Everyone has to decide which option is better but if saving money is important you can go live about 30 minutes away and not take out as many loans (also groceries are cheaper in these places). Another option is to live in Chinatown, Harlem, etc.

I always love busting my NYU Law friends about this - it's like they begrudge the undergrads for going to a fun school in a cool place.

I begrudge the undergrads because they are really annoying when I want Chick-fil-a.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:22 pm

ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:
Thanks Renzo
I totally think that it's worth it and your situation that you described sounds VERY similar to how i suspect mine will be, about the 'nough to live until the loans..." etc.

Also, someone earlier mentioned they spend $12 per week on food, etc. I don't know if i read that correctly but is that POSSIBLE?!?! oh, is there some kind of cafeteria? ew, i don't want to have to eat in a cafeteria, but i was just wondering if there was one
Do you mind telling us where you stayed 1L?
i think from what i read on the website i liked Mercer more anyway.
there really isn't much info on the other two small buildings they have....

And how often are those receptions - i think maybe that's what the person was referring to... She goes to Columbia Law... Is it just during the breaks?

Anyway, thanks again - i am going to read my Law School Confidential book - ah, the glory of snowy, crappy-weather Fridays, gives me an excuse to stay in :)

I'm in D'agostino. I've met people who live in the two other buildings, but they are both nontraditional students with families. Those buildings are basically private apartments that happen to be owned by the university.

There is a sort of cafeteria for undergrads, but it's hella far from the law school, and I'll bet 99.5% of law students don't know it exists. $12/day seems a little low, but it could be done if you were very frugal. There are plenty of ways to eat cheap (even cheap and good) if you're willing to work at it a little bit.

Employers aren't allowed (per NALP rules) to contact 1L's until after December 1st, but since then we've been getting emails about receptions and networking events (mostly from midsize firms in secondary markets, hoping to catch students back home over break). I've probably received 6 such invitations since Dec 1.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 pm

ihatelaw wrote:
ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:Hi everyone, I hope some current students can answer my questions! (and hopefully my questions are not redundant)

1. Of the four NYU residential buildings, which one is the best? Which would you recommend for a 1L? I am somewhat shy so I need to be immersed in the law school experience. I know if i lived offcampus I would probably isolate myself and not meet many new people. So considering that, what do you think? And what are the drawbacks?

2. Someone told me that Columbia law students are wined and dined by employers and the school every weekend. I am not sure that's the case today with the economy and all, but is this true for NYU students as well? have you heard this or was i lied to?

3. When do they start sending information to admitted students? once we send in the deposit? I'm anxiously looking at the mail every single day hoping for some more information from NYU!

4. I am pretty poor - i mean, i have a decent job - it doesn't make that much - i got laid off this year...and i am 25 so only my income will be counted in the financial aid determination and my parents do not intend to help me out (nor can they - they are poor too.) Am i about to make the biggest mistake of my life by enrolling? BE. HONEST. Like, do you know other piss-poor people who went, and came out o.k. financially, i mean, who weren't killing themselves with guilt and struggling more than the rest of the people, and who didn't have to drop out due to finances?
I do anticipate the loans, but i guess my mom is whispering in my ear and it's getting to me. (she also just doesn't want me to leave.....)

I figured I'd add on to living in NY question. I've done this in a few threads where people bring up the cost of NYU, and no doubt going to law school is expensive. The problem is that people think that NYU is far more expensive than other schools due to COL, and thats, honestly, not true. I doubt an NYU student will leave school with more debt than a student in nearly any other law school in a major city (Harvard, UCLA, Columbia, Georgetown, etc).

The good thing is living in NY doesn't have to be as expensive as people make it. Part of the reason people spend all their money in law school is they go to bars a lot and they go out to eat a lot. If you don't do this your cost of living will drop significantly. I'm not saying don't go out to bars or don't eat out, but in moderation you'll find your COL isn't as awful as it sometimes is portrayed.

Also, living in a dorm is a good idea if you are shy. Living in Queens or Brooklyn is a good idea if you want to save money (anywhere from $300 - $600 a month depending on how far away you go). Everyone has to decide which option is better but if saving money is important you can go live about 30 minutes away and not take out as many loans (also groceries are cheaper in these places). Another option is to live in Chinatown, Harlem, etc.

I always love busting my NYU Law friends about this - it's like they begrudge the undergrads for going to a fun school in a cool place.

I begrudge the undergrads because they are really annoying when I want Chick-fil-a.

*facepalm*. You live in the Village and you frequent chick-fil-a in a dining hall?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:25 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:What do you think of this?

--LinkRemoved--

(Not trying to be a dick here, actually curious what the reaction is over there)

I actually saw this on ATL a few hours ago, and it was the first I'd head about it. Not my section, obviously. A lot of people have already left for break, so I haven't managed to find anyone in that section to ask about it. All of the 1L K's exams were yesterday afternoon, so its sort of breaking news.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:29 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:How does it feel to be in a school full of people that are so ugly and poorly dressed compared to the undergrads?

Cute, real cute.

NYU undergrad is like the biggest clown college in the universe, and having to suffer them is my answer when people ask what I don't like about NYU.

Haha I don't know if I'd call it a clown college, it's pretty damn good. I always love busting my NYU Law friends about this - it's like they begrudge the undergrads for going to a fun school in a cool place.

I meant that it's full of bozos dressed as clowns, not that the clowns aren't getting a good education. If the dean would put out a memo explaining that fat dudes shouldn't wear skinny jeans (no one wants to see your hairy ass, fatso), it would go a long way towards mending law school/undergrad relation.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Renzo wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:
Renzo wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:How does it feel to be in a school full of people that are so ugly and poorly dressed compared to the undergrads?

Cute, real cute.

NYU undergrad is like the biggest clown college in the universe, and having to suffer them is my answer when people ask what I don't like about NYU.

Haha I don't know if I'd call it a clown college, it's pretty damn good. I always love busting my NYU Law friends about this - it's like they begrudge the undergrads for going to a fun school in a cool place.

I meant that it's full of bozos dressed as clowns, not that the clowns aren't getting a good education. If the dean would put out a memo explaining that fat dudes shouldn't wear skinny jeans (no one wants to see your hairy ass, fatso), it would go a long way towards mending law school/undergrad relation.

Ah, I see. Funny how things are different among schools in different places, Mich is ALL blue and maize. I sometimes wonder if people here actually own anything other than sweatpants and hoodies.

ihatelaw

Postby ihatelaw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:
ihatelaw wrote:

*facepalm*. You live in the Village and you frequent chick-fil-a in a dining hall?

im always weary of saying exactly where i live cause i think that i can be discovered haha, but no i dont live in the village. however, ill say not living in manhattan is awesome and yes i do frequent the chick-fil-a dining hall. mmm

in the words of the todd...christianity chicken five.

anonmona

Postby anonmona » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:05 pm

--LinkRemoved--

(Not trying to be a dick here, actually curious what the reaction is over there)

He's very, very nice, and it really is a shame this made it onto abovethelaw. No one wants to take the test again, and it sounds like we probably wont have to. It was a really stupid mistake but he's an incredibly nice person and it's really too bad he's being so publicly embarrassed.

It WASN'T an old exam, it was old questions he'd gone over with a class at Northwestern, not posted on the Northwestern website or anywhere else, a few kids just happened to get old course materials from a student. Kind of a huge random coincidence that they took our exam the night before as practice, but clearly for a 3-hour exam with only 2 long questions on it, seeing them in advance is a huge boost.

The school is handling it really well, and doing exactly what they should be addressing it immediately. They held a meeting and were genuinely interested in hearing what the students had to say. They'll probably just modify the curve somehow.

Source

Postby Source » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:25 pm

anonmona wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

He's very, very nice, and it really is a shame this made it onto abovethelaw. No one wants to take the test again, and it sounds like we probably wont have to. It was a really stupid mistake but he's an incredibly nice person and it's really too bad he's being so publicly embarrassed.

It WASN'T an old exam, it was old questions he'd gone over with a class at Northwestern, not posted on the Northwestern website or anywhere else, a few kids just happened to get old course materials from a student. Kind of a huge random coincidence that they took our exam the night before as practice, but clearly for a 3-hour exam with only 2 long questions on it, seeing them in advance is a huge boost.

The school is handling it really well, and doing exactly what they should be addressing it immediately. They held a meeting and were genuinely interested in hearing what the students had to say. They'll probably just modify the curve somehow.

Yep, that's my section, and as terrible as it was to wake up the morning after with a huge hangover and hear about it, the meeting with the Dean really reassured me that they are going to find a workable solution that doesn't screw anyone/everyone. Like the above poster says, since it was only a small group that saw it, it seems like they'll just set the curve excluding those who saw it, and then drop them back in wherever they fell. Pretty impressed with that solution, TBH.

And yeah, JN is a really good guy.

ezpar

Postby ezpar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:01 pm

ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:

I don't come from a very wealthy background, and I was also laid off a few months before coming to NYU, AND I didn't get any scholarship money, and I'm making it ok. I live 30 minutes or so from the law school with my SO, so my rent is much, much lower than what it would be if I lived in the Village or somewhere else in Manhattan, and we actually have multiple rooms! If you don't go out too often and aren't too stupid with your money (mine is all loan money, btw), it's definitely do-able. I certainly won't have to drop out due to finances. The stress of having to worry about money during school/finals sucks, but it's not that bad.

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 pm

ezpar wrote:
ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:

I don't come from a very wealthy background, and I was also laid off a few months before coming to NYU, AND I didn't get any scholarship money, and I'm making it ok. I live 30 minutes or so from the law school with my SO, so my rent is much, much lower than what it would be if I lived in the Village or somewhere else in Manhattan, and we actually have multiple rooms! If you don't go out too often and aren't too stupid with your money (mine is all loan money, btw), it's definitely do-able. I certainly won't have to drop out due to finances. The stress of having to worry about money during school/finals sucks, but it's not that bad.

If you don't mind sharing, and are willing to live outside the village (e.g. Brooklyn) you can find something pretty cheap. COL should definitely not be a reason to put you off NYU, especially since they are fairly generous with financial aid, PILC money, etc.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:50 am

Can we apply to multiple scholarships? Will each of the scholarship committees have access to your whole file and know which scholarships you are applying to? I'm trying to figure out if the scholarships compete with each other for scholars and if they consider that fact that I am applying to different scholarships?

Thanks!

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:11 pm

fidesverita wrote:Can we apply to multiple scholarships? Will each of the scholarship committees have access to your whole file and know which scholarships you are applying to? I'm trying to figure out if the scholarships compete with each other for scholars and if they consider that fact that I am applying to different scholarships?

Thanks!

Absolutely you can. The committees will get your whole file, I think - certainly more than just your essay. There may be some competition among the different scholarships, but I don't think it will be to your detriment, i.e. I don't think one committee will pass over your application because they are worried you will get another scholarship instead.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 pm

red_sox wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Can we apply to multiple scholarships? Will each of the scholarship committees have access to your whole file and know which scholarships you are applying to? I'm trying to figure out if the scholarships compete with each other for scholars and if they consider that fact that I am applying to different scholarships?

Thanks!

Absolutely you can. The committees will get your whole file, I think - certainly more than just your essay. There may be some competition among the different scholarships, but I don't think it will be to your detriment, i.e. I don't think one committee will pass over your application because they are worried you will get another scholarship instead.

Thanks for your reply! I guess my question was more like.... what if I apply to public interest and intellectual property (hypothetical example of two "different" scholarship types). I wonder if they'll analyze the scholarships you're applying to and think that you are not sincere about one or the other?

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:24 pm

fidesverita wrote:
red_sox wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! I guess my question was more like.... what if I apply to public interest and intellectual property (hypothetical example of two "different" scholarship types). I wonder if they'll analyze the scholarships you're applying to and think that you are not sincere about one or the other?

Well, I would be careful not to contradict yourself, and make sure that there is a coherent underlying story that explains why you are interested in both. As long as that's the case you should be fine.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Hey redsox, thanks for the answers! Just wondering if you knew anyone who was a scholar? I wanted to chat with someone about the details for a few of the programs.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:59 am

fidesverita wrote:Hey redsox, thanks for the answers! Just wondering if you knew anyone who was a scholar? I wanted to chat with someone about the details for a few of the programs.

I know a bunch of scholarship recipients, but the only academic scolar I know is an IP scolar. He's not on this board, but I'll see if he's willing to be contacted.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 am

Hey Renzo, PMed you :)

NYU_1L

Postby NYU_1L » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a little free time before classes get started next week, so I figured I'd pay it forward.

Absolutely love NYU, but I'll do my best to give objective responses. Fire away.

lsathalon

Postby lsathalon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 pm

How is the academic atmosphere? Are students engaged with the material or do most treat class as a means to their shiny NYU degree?

NYU_1L

Postby NYU_1L » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 pm

lsathalon wrote:How is the academic atmosphere? Are students engaged with the material or do most treat class as a means to their shiny NYU degree?

Dear lsathalon:

Thank you for the question.

The academic atmosphere at NYU has been great. As someone who appreciates the edificatory component of learning, I was concerned that law school would offer little beyond pedantry. Fortunately, that has not been the case. Students here genuinely engage the material and all of my professors have been worldclass. While each of my classes has incorporated blackletter law, they do not stop there. Both my peers and professors push the philosophical boundaries of the law - always asking the bigger questions. This makes for an academic environment where going to class is enjoyable (for the most part).

Don't get me wrong though, people here still understand that this is professional school. And there are students here who treat law school as merely a means to an end. Thankfully, neither has come to dominate the school's general ethos.

ridleyroses

Postby ridleyroses » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 am

I am wondering if law students are able to take courses at the undergraduate school? I'd like to learn a language during law school...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:45 am

ridleyroses wrote:I am wondering if law students are able to take courses at the undergraduate school? I'd like to learn a language during lawl skool...

I'll look it up later, but I am pretty sure I remember seeing that languages were basically the only classes you can't take for law school credit.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 pm

NYU_1L wrote:I have a little free time before classes get started next week, so I figured I'd pay it forward.

Absolutely love NYU, but I'll do my best to give objective responses. Fire away.

Hey, thanks for doing this.

I am wondering how cohesive the class is. Does the fact that a lot of people already have friends in NYC detract from the cohesiveness?

Also, how social is the on-campus housing? Are there places in the dorms for people to hang out, or does most social activity involve going out somewhere because nobody has living rooms?

mwazaumoja

Postby mwazaumoja » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:39 pm

@ democrattotheend (a name which indicates you'll fit in at NYU)

You can still take language classes, and not have to pay anything extra. I'm actually in an informal program of language classes called 'Speak Freely.' You just go in once a week (or not, it's not formal), and you go over some minor area of grammar and have a general conversation. It's fun.

Most people have friends in NYC. It won't detract, if you want to be friends with mostly law students you can be, if you want to hang out with mostly your other friends that's fine too. People understand that, and are friendly but we don't live in a void.

I would say the dorms are sort of social. We mostly pre-game in people's apartments before we go out to major events. For the most part it's not like college, it's simply easier to meet people at bars or the main law school building where there is significantly more space.

Any other questions be sure to ask!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”