NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:11 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:Who in your opinion(s) are the best teachers, and why?

tyia

Do you mean best classroom teachers or most impressive academics (or both)?

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:49 pm

I mean classroom teachers. I have kind of formed my opinion on the latter part, but take it from both angles if you are so inclined :D

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:42 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:I mean classroom teachers. I have kind of formed my opinion on the latter part, but take it from both angles if you are so inclined :D

Arthur Miller and Burt Neuborn are both immensely entertaining. Both teach 1L Civ Pro, if you get the chance to sit in on a class, I'd try for one of them.

badfish

Postby badfish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 am

Helen Hershkoff for civil procedure is amazing as well. Basically NYU civ pro dominates.

She's not as entertaining as Miller, but she may be a more effective teacher. I haven't sat in on any of Miller's classes but it's hard to think of a more effective teacher than Hershkoff.

NYU2011

Postby NYU2011 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:17 pm

The other 2 civ pro professors are Issacharoff and McKenzie and they're both awesome too... so basically you can't go wrong for civ pro :lol:

Upham for Property is pretty entertaining although some people think he goes off topic/ on tangents too much

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 am

badfish wrote:Helen Hershkoff for civil procedure is amazing as well. Basically NYU civ pro dominates.

She's not as entertaining as Miller, but she may be a more effective teacher. I haven't sat in on any of Miller's classes but it's hard to think of a more effective teacher than Hershkoff.

McKenzie is also an extremely effective civ pro teacher(he was taught by Hershkoff when he was at NYU). And is very entertaining.

Also for torts Epstein's class would be good to sit in on.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:05 pm

If one of you want to go ask the admission office when they plan on sending out ED decisions.. maybe suggest they send them out early?? I'd be very appreciative...

Also, I understand that there is flag football during the Fall, and the Dean's Cup at some point, but is there any widely participated in activity during the spring?

Oh, and do any of you happen to have any input in the Advanced Professional Certificate Program in Law and Business? Thinking that 1L employment might be difficult to find, I was thinking it looked like an interesting option. Any thoughts?

Again, thank you all very much for answering questions!!

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:10 pm

So I was just looking at this list of centers which students can be involved in, and a few of them look really interesting.. what exactly is the process to get involved in them?

http://www.law.nyu.edu/centers/index.htm

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:03 am

Drew2010 wrote:If one of you want to go ask the admission office when they plan on sending out ED decisions.. maybe suggest they send them out early?? I'd be very appreciative...

Also, I understand that there is flag football during the Fall, and the Dean's Cup at some point, but is there any widely participated in activity during the spring?

Oh, and do any of you happen to have any input in the Advanced Professional Certificate Program in Law and Business? Thinking that 1L employment might be difficult to find, I was thinking it looked like an interesting option. Any thoughts?

Again, thank you all very much for answering questions!!

Don't worry too much about 1L work. Everyone who wants it gets a $4500 stipend if they do 10 weeks of of PI work, and unpaid PI work is always plentiful. I'm not familiar with that certificate program, but I think you'd do yourself a bigger favor in the long run by actually working.

idontwearskinnyjeans

Postby idontwearskinnyjeans » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:35 pm

I haven't read this thread at all, but feel free to toss questions in my direction if, for some reason, you want another 1L's input.
Last edited by idontwearskinnyjeans on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:04 pm

idontwearskinnyjeans wrote:I haven't read this thread at all, but feel free to toss questions in my direction if, for some reason, you want another 1L's input.

I don't like to mention professors by name, but (just this once) I will resoundingly echo rave reviews for Epstein (Torts), McKenzie (Civil Procedure), and Scott (Contracts). I didn't know what to expect going in, but all my professors have been astoundingly good.

I'm bumping this thread in case any of you 1Ls are still lurking around. Anyone?

Just got into NYU, so now I want to know everything about it :)

In particular, what do you think of the student atmosphere (happy, close-knit, relaxed, etc.) now that you've been through a full term - feel free to contrast with Columbia, if you want.

What do you think about employment prospects in relation to other top schools in light of the economic turmoil.... what rank in the class is needed for decent employment prospects, clerkships, etc.?

Thanks in advance - the help is appreciated :D

asaunde2

Postby asaunde2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Student atmosphere is great. Competitiveness is basically non-existent. People will email their outlines to the whole section. This one guy put together a 25 page compilation of all the Restatement and UCC sections we covered and then emailed it to the whole section. Everyone here is on the same team. Obviously during finals time it's hard to describe people as "relaxed" (e.g., why am i dicking around on this website right now when I should be studying the Parol Evidence Rule). But that's the nature of the beast at any law school. In general throughout the semester i found just about everyone to be chill.

I can't really compare to other schools cause I've never attended them- but I know some people who picked NYU because the vibe just seemed happier. I dont know if thats true.
The economy is affecting employment prospects at every school. It's not like certain top schools are being hit harder than others. If you go to a school ranked around this level, you are not going to end up standing in a bread line.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm

pikalove wrote:I'm bumping this thread in case any of you 1Ls are still lurking around. Anyone?

In particular, what do you think of the student atmosphere (happy, close-knit, relaxed, etc.) now that you've been through a full term - feel free to contrast with Columbia, if you want.

What do you think about employment prospects in relation to other top schools in light of the economic turmoil.... what rank in the class is needed for decent employment prospects, clerkships, etc.?

Comparing with CLS is tough, because the two schools really could be different campuses of the same school. Those two were my final choices as well. If you're trying to decide between those two, I would really recommend visiting both schools, and deciding which campus/neighborhood/physical plant would make you the most comfortable for three years.

Every single person at every single school is going to say that their classmates are helpful and noncompetitive, but I really think this is true of NYU. NYU attracts a lot more students interested in PI work than its peers, and the type of people who want to pass up the chance to earn millions aren't the cutthroat competitive type. Plus, the curve is so flat it's almost impossible not to end up in the middle with everyone else, and the school doesn't rank students, so there isn't much incentive to kill your classmates.

Both NYU and CLS have historically lagged behind peers in clerkships, but NYU is pouring a bunch of money into changing that (and CLS friends have said their school is also).

As for job prospects, it's hard to say. I haven't run into any 2L's who are still jobless, but I'm sure there have to be some. Those I've talked to that struck out at EIW have since found something.

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

I agree with the two posters above about the student atmosphere - my classmates are a wonderfully supportive group. This has been especially noticeable in the run-up to finals, where people have been eager to share outlines and help each other out more generally. I can't make a comparison with Columbia, but I can say that I'm very happy to have chosen NYU.

Renzo wrote:
pikalove wrote:I'm bumping this thread in case any of you 1Ls are still lurking around. Anyone?

Comparing with CLS is tough, because the two schools really could be different campuses of the same school. Those two were my final choices as well. If you're trying to decide between those two, I would really recommend visiting both schools, and deciding which campus/neighborhood/physical plant would make you the most comfortable for three years.

Every single person at every single school is going to say that their classmates are helpful and noncompetitive, but I really think this is true of NYU. NYU attracts a lot more students interested in PI work than its peers, and the type of people who want to pass up the chance to earn millions aren't the cutthroat competitive type. Plus, the curve is so flat it's almost impossible not to end up in the middle with everyone else, and the school doesn't rank students, so there isn't much incentive to kill your classmates.

Both NYU and CLS have historically lagged behind peers in clerkships, but NYU is pouring a bunch of money into changing that (and CLS friends have said their school is also).

As for job prospects, it's hard to say. I haven't run into any 2L's who are still jobless, but I'm sure there have to be some. Those I've talked to that struck out at EIW have since found something.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, its made me feel like I made the right choice by ED-ing to NYU as opposed to Columbia. I understand the commonly stated "prestige-factor" at CLS, but there is a good deal to be said about really enjoying your law school experience, which NYU seems to offer in abundance.

I have a few more questions, if you don't mind...

1) I'm an international student (thus, I don't qualify for federal loans), so do you guys know anything about need-based aid at NYU? I've been searching around their website, but so far no luck.

2) Would you suggest reading anything before law school - there are a few book lists floating around here - or is that a super keener thing to do?

3) I currently live in Montreal and how it works here is that all the leases start in June or July, so you can't really get an apartment close to school outside of that time. Is there a similar "best time" in the NYU/east village area due to the huge student population, or can I get an great apartment any time of the year?

Thanks for your help during your busy exam time!!!

red_sox

Postby red_sox » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:01 pm

1) I'm pretty sure you'll be eligible for need-based aid along with everyone else. There are a number of scholarships you can apply for - the deadline is Jan. 1 I believe.

2) No need to read anything. If you want to get a head start, the several of the professors here recommend Getting to Maybe as good preparation for exams.

3) I came here to look for places about a month before I wanted to move in, and that was plenty of time. My lease started mid-August, but you should be able to get a start date pretty much whenever you want.

Come to one of the ASWs to get a feel for the place!

pikalove wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, its made me feel like I made the right choice by ED-ing to NYU as opposed to Columbia. I understand the commonly stated "prestige-factor" at CLS, but there is a good deal to be said about really enjoying your law school experience, which NYU seems to offer in abundance.

1) I'm an international student (thus, I don't qualify for federal loans), so do you guys know anything about need-based aid at NYU? I've been searching around their website, but so far no luck.

2) Would you suggest reading anything before law school - there are a few book lists floating around here - or is that a super keener thing to do?

3) I currently live in Montreal and how it works here is that all the leases start in June or July, so you can't really get an apartment close to school outside of that time. Is there a similar "best time" in the NYU/east village area due to the huge student population, or can I get an great apartment any time of the year?

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm a 0L but all the threads i've read said read getting to maybe. The general consensus seems to be don't both reading anything substantive except for maybe a book outlining the structure of the judicial system.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

pikalove wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, its made me feel like I made the right choice by ED-ing to NYU as opposed to Columbia. I understand the commonly stated "prestige-factor" at CLS, but there is a good deal to be said about really enjoying your law school experience, which NYU seems to offer in abundance.

Don't worry about reading before classes. It won't really help nor save you any study time once you're here.

The NYC rental market is kind of crazy. Most students stay in the dorms their first year because it's really hard to find a good place from outside the city. Most good rentals are found via word-of-mouth, and its easier to find a place once you're already in the city.

ColumbiaGirl1984

Postby ColumbiaGirl1984 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi everyone, I hope some current students can answer my questions! (and hopefully my questions are not redundant)

1. Of the four NYU residential buildings, which one is the best? Which would you recommend for a 1L? I am somewhat shy so I need to be immersed in the law school experience. I know if i lived offcampus I would probably isolate myself and not meet many new people. So considering that, what do you think? And what are the drawbacks?

2. Someone told me that Columbia law students are wined and dined by employers and the school every weekend. I am not sure that's the case today with the economy and all, but is this true for NYU students as well? have you heard this or was i lied to?

3. When do they start sending information to admitted students? once we send in the deposit? I'm anxiously looking at the mail every single day hoping for some more information from NYU!

4. I am pretty poor - i mean, i have a decent job - it doesn't make that much - i got laid off this year...and i am 25 so only my income will be counted in the financial aid determination and my parents do not intend to help me out (nor can they - they are poor too.) Am i about to make the biggest mistake of my life by enrolling? BE. HONEST. Like, do you know other piss-poor people who went, and came out o.k. financially, i mean, who weren't killing themselves with guilt and struggling more than the rest of the people, and who didn't have to drop out due to finances?
I do anticipate the loans, but i guess my mom is whispering in my ear and it's getting to me. (she also just doesn't want me to leave.....)

Thanks!! :)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:53 pm

ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:Hi everyone, I hope some current students can answer my questions! (and hopefully my questions are not redundant)

1. Of the four NYU residential buildings, which one is the best? Which would you recommend for a 1L? I am somewhat shy so I need to be immersed in the law school experience. I know if i lived offcampus I would probably isolate myself and not meet many new people. So considering that, what do you think? And what are the drawbacks?

2. Someone told me that Columbia law students are wined and dined by employers and the school every weekend. I am not sure that's the case today with the economy and all, but is this true for NYU students as well? have you heard this or was i lied to?

3. When do they start sending information to admitted students? once we send in the deposit? I'm anxiously looking at the mail every single day hoping for some more information from NYU!

4. I am pretty poor - i mean, i have a decent job - it doesn't make that much - i got laid off this year...and i am 25 so only my income will be counted in the financial aid determination and my parents do not intend to help me out (nor can they - they are poor too.) Am i about to make the biggest mistake of my life by enrolling? BE. HONEST. Like, do you know other piss-poor people who went, and came out o.k. financially, i mean, who weren't killing themselves with guilt and struggling more than the rest of the people, and who didn't have to drop out due to finances?
I do anticipate the loans, but i guess my mom is whispering in my ear and it's getting to me. (she also just doesn't want me to leave.....)

1) Mercer and D'ag are where the vast majority of 1L's live, so if you want to be immersed either would do. D'ag is literally across the street from classes, and is a little quieter than Mercer, but I think the rooms are a little roomier in Mercer. Look at the floorplans and prices online, and go from there.

2) No employers are wining and dining students anywhere, outside of random networking events and receptions (there are a bunch of those coming up over break). The school, however, puts on a ton of catered events, and the Student Bar Association's main function is enabling alcoholics. There are also a ton of student groups, each with a modest budget that almost always goes toward food/booze.

3) Sadly, I am no use to you on this one... it's been too long for me to remember what the time frame was.

4) NYU is the most expensive law school in the country (by cost of attendance), but I'm here, so obviously I think it's worth it. I had just enough money to get myself moved here and to live until the student loans disbursed, but now I'm flat-ass broke and living on loans and there are plenty of people in the same situation. Even in this economy 2Ls are getting jobs, and the LRAP is generous if biglaw isn't your thing. You could save a substantial sum by going to school someplace where the cost of living is cheaper, and only you can decide if that decrease in debt is worth it. The way I look at it, the difference in debt is a fair price to be in NYC for 3 years.

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 pm

How does it feel to be in a school full of people that are so ugly and poorly dressed compared to the undergrads? :wink:
Last edited by BeastCoastHype on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColumbiaGirl1984

Postby ColumbiaGirl1984 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Renzo wrote:
ColumbiaGirl1984 wrote:Hi everyone, I hope some current students can answer my questions! (and hopefully my questions are not redundant)

1) Mercer and D'ag are where the vast majority of 1L's live, so if you want to be immersed either would do. D'ag is literally across the street from classes, and is a little quieter than Mercer, but I think the rooms are a little roomier in Mercer. Look at the floorplans and prices online, and go from there.

2) No employers are wining and dining students anywhere, outside of random networking events and receptions (there are a bunch of those coming up over break). The school, however, puts on a ton of catered events, and the Student Bar Association's main function is enabling alcoholics. There are also a ton of student groups, each with a modest budget that almost always goes toward food/booze.

3) Sadly, I am no use to you on this one... it's been too long for me to remember what the time frame was.

4) NYU is the most expensive law school in the country (by cost of attendance), but I'm here, so obviously I think it's worth it. I had just enough money to get myself moved here and to live until the student loans disbursed, but now I'm flat-ass broke and living on loans and there are plenty of people in the same situation. Even in this economy 2Ls are getting jobs, and the LRAP is generous if biglaw isn't your thing. You could save a substantial sum by going to school someplace where the cost of living is cheaper, and only you can decide if that decrease in debt is worth it. The way I look at it, the difference in debt is a fair price to be in NYC for 3 years.

Thanks Renzo
I totally think that it's worth it and your situation that you described sounds VERY similar to how i suspect mine will be, about the 'nough to live until the loans..." etc.

Also, someone earlier mentioned they spend $12 per week on food, etc. I don't know if i read that correctly but is that POSSIBLE?!?! oh, is there some kind of cafeteria? ew, i don't want to have to eat in a cafeteria, but i was just wondering if there was one
Do you mind telling us where you stayed 1L?
i think from what i read on the website i liked Mercer more anyway.
there really isn't much info on the other two small buildings they have....

And how often are those receptions - i think maybe that's what the person was referring to... She goes to Columbia Law... Is it just during the breaks?

Anyway, thanks again - i am going to read my Law School Confidential book - ah, the glory of snowy, crappy-weather Fridays, gives me an excuse to stay in :)

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:09 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:How does it feel to be in a school full of people that are so ugly and poorly dressed compared to the undergrads?

Cute, real cute.

NYU undergrad is like the biggest clown college in the universe, and having to suffer them is my answer when people ask what I don't like about NYU.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:11 pm

What do you think of this?

--LinkRemoved--

(Not trying to be a dick here, actually curious what the reaction is over there)

BeastCoastHype

Postby BeastCoastHype » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Renzo wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:How does it feel to be in a school full of people that are so ugly and poorly dressed compared to the undergrads?

Cute, real cute.

NYU undergrad is like the biggest clown college in the universe, and having to suffer them is my answer when people ask what I don't like about NYU.

Haha I don't know if I'd call it a clown college, it's pretty damn good. I always love busting my NYU Law friends about this - it's like they begrudge the undergrads for going to a fun school in a cool place.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”