NYU 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Renzo

Gold

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Post by Renzo » Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 am

NYU2011 wrote:No one will care what your bag looks like as long as it doesn't get in their way like wheelie bags do.
Yep.

Oh, one more request, although it's only tangentially related. And it applies at any school you decide to attend.

Before you shimmy down the row to your mid-row seat, take your fucking bag off your bag!!!!

Sorry, a little gratuitous venting, but I just had flashbacks of a girl in my section who came to class like 1min before it started every day, then proceeded to bash an entire row's worth of laptops, and simultaneously spill an entire row's worth of coffee into said laptops with her huge backpack. Every. single. day. It made me want to choke the life out of her.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm

What areas do people usually go out, both for bar review and when they go out on their own? Do people mostly hang out in Greenwich Village or is most of the nighttime action in other parts of the city, like the East Village or the meatpacking district?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

democrattotheend wrote:What areas do people usually go out, both for bar review and when they go out on their own? Do people mostly hang out in Greenwich Village or is most of the nighttime action in other parts of the city, like the East Village or the meatpacking district?
East village is fun, and there are plenty of good places right around the school. The Meatpacking district is like the audition line for Jersey Shore II

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Renzo wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:What areas do people usually go out, both for bar review and when they go out on their own? Do people mostly hang out in Greenwich Village or is most of the nighttime action in other parts of the city, like the East Village or the meatpacking district?
East village is fun, and there are plenty of good places right around the school. The Meatpacking district is like the audition line for Jersey Shore II
Haha. This is too true.

haroldfordIII

New

Post by haroldfordIII » Thu May 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Are the assignments for the first day of class (if there are any) posted before Orientation? I'm trying to do vacation planning where I won't end up doing work while I'm away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu May 20, 2010 2:19 pm

haroldfordIII wrote:Are the assignments for the first day of class (if there are any) posted before Orientation? I'm trying to do vacation planning where I won't end up doing work while I'm away.
I can't remember how early they posted, but it wasn't very early. What little gets assigned before the first day can easily be managed during orientation, maybe even the night before class.

sophie316

Bronze

Post by sophie316 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

If i remember correctly they give those out at the end of the orientation scavenger hunt, along with the address of the party. That said, my group went to a bar instead and just called the number to find out where the party was and when the checked you in to that they gave you the assignments so that scavenger hunt is 100% useless unless you really like that sort of thing.

ps even if you skip everything at orientation, go to the party. open bar and an awesome location.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am

Are you allowed to sublet the on-campus apartments during winter break?

Also, do they provide coffee to students? At Columbia ASW they told us they provide coffee and cookies every afternoon. Does NYU do anything similar?

Sorry if these are stupid questions...I was just curious (and wondering if it was worth bringing my coffee maker).

mwazaumoja

New

Post by mwazaumoja » Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 am

Members of the SBA have told me that, despite our love of the Vice Dean's ambitious week-long orientations, they will be substantially different this year. However, I do agree with Sophie. The only important part of orientation is getting to know people, make lots of friends in your section, and in other sections.

@Democrattothend,

I don't think you can sublet your apartment during winter break. I don't actually think they let you sublet your apartment at all. Besides why would you want to miss Christmas in New York? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, unlike Columbia we do not have free coffee and cookies (except during finals). If you take your coffee seriously though, Third Rail Coffee ([urlhttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/dining/10coffee.html]one of the best shops in the City[/url]) is nearby. If you want to save money on Coffee, you can do what I did, and just buy a pound of coffee for cheap from Porto Rico (a great place to buy your gourmet coffee/tea in bulk). Can't help you on the free cookie front, Columbia has us beat there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usc2013

New

Post by usc2013 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 am

Is NYU Law gay friendly? I am gay and was wondering if that would affect any part of my academic and social life at NYU

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

sophie316 wrote:If i remember correctly they give those out at the end of the orientation scavenger hunt, along with the address of the party. That said, my group went to a bar instead and just called the number to find out where the party was and when the checked you in to that they gave you the assignments so that scavenger hunt is 100% useless unless you really like that sort of thing.

ps even if you skip everything at orientation, go to the party. open bar and an awesome location.

i like the way you think.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:52 pm

usc2013 wrote:Is NYU Law gay friendly? I am gay and was wondering if that would affect any part of my academic and social life at NYU
Until they open a Richard Simmons Law School at Elton John University, it's as gay-friendly a school as there is.

Barouche

New

Post by Barouche » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am

Random question, but what's the gym security like at NYU? As in, do you scan a card as you go in or just show your id to a doorman like in the other buildings?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 am

Barouche wrote:Random question, but what's the gym security like at NYU? As in, do you scan a card as you go in or just show your id to a doorman like in the other buildings?
They're a little more strict about IDs at the gyms because they sell memberships to alumni and community members. You hand your ID to guard who swipes it.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am

mwazaumoja wrote:Members of the SBA have told me that, despite our love of the Vice Dean's ambitious week-long orientations, they will be substantially different this year.
Lucky Class of 2013. The lecture time during orientation was a killer.

abitaman6363

Bronze

Post by abitaman6363 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am

Hello Everyone!

I'm taking a final journey through Pakistan before the trials of NYU law hit and was seeking some help before I pack off to a smaller village with no internet for the next few weeks.

I've applied for housing already (including deposit) and submitted my parents' tax information. What else do I need to do before orientation? When are applications for those hefty, hefty loans due?

Thanks in advance for the info!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Anyone who lives/lived in a 3 br (type P) in D'Ag have any pictures?

I saw a 2 BR at ASW but was assigned to a 3 br and am trying to get a sense of what my room will look like. It looks from the floorplans like the rooms in the 3 br are a bit smaller, even though they say average size is 10x11.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mockstar

New

Post by mockstar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:25 pm

I have a few questions about the gym(s)? Do they provide towels (small and/or large like sweat rags and then shower towels)? If so, are they free? What is the locker situation like? Can you rent lockers, can you just bring a lock and use a locker for a day, etc.? What times are they the busiest/least busy? Thanks!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 pm

mockstar wrote:I have a few questions about the gym(s)? Do they provide towels (small and/or large like sweat rags and then shower towels)? If so, are they free? What is the locker situation like? Can you rent lockers, can you just bring a lock and use a locker for a day, etc.? What times are they the busiest/least busy? Thanks!
There are lockers for daily use (free, bring your own lock), and for semester-long rental. Towels are available, but not free (I always brought my own, so I don't know how much). Supposedly Palladium is nicer than Coles, but it's far from the law school so I've never checked it out. Coles gets busy in the afternoon/early evening, is quiet later at night, and a ghost-town on weekends.

LogicalBaozi

New

Post by LogicalBaozi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:44 am

Do any of you know anything about Chinese law/IP law (especially patent law) programs at NYU, and opportunities for 1L/2L summers for those interested in pursuing the above? I know NYU as incredibly strong law programs with regards to European law, does that extend to other regions as well?

I made a thread about my questions here, but I would more like to know your general thoughts on the program and faculty, if you've run into them at all. Thanks!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:Do any of you know anything about Chinese law/IP law (especially patent law) programs at NYU, and opportunities for 1L/2L summers for those interested in pursuing the above? I know NYU as incredibly strong law programs with regards to European law, does that extend to other regions as well?

I made a thread about my questions here, but I would more like to know your general thoughts on the program and faculty, if you've run into them at all. Thanks!
Chinese IP law? Their economy runs on piracy and intellectual theft... doesn't sound like a growth industry to me...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barouche

New

Post by Barouche » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:45 pm

another random question - thanks so much!

I know that, at least in 1L, we take three substantive classes per semester + lawyering. But it seems like 1Ls at other law schools take more classes a semester. Are we behind the curve when it comes to summer employment?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Barouche wrote:another random question - thanks so much!

I know that, at least in 1L, we take three substantive classes per semester + lawyering. But it seems like 1Ls at other law schools take more classes a semester. Are we behind the curve when it comes to summer employment?
No, because the one and only class that will help you in real practice, including your 1L summer, is legal writing/lawyering.

The only real difference is that it makes each class matter more w.r.t. your 1L GPA, so one could argue that 1L class ranks are more arbitrary at NYU than at other schools. But since it's pretty effing arbitrary to begin with, that doesn't really mean anything.

cahesu

New

Post by cahesu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm

What is the class "The Administrative and Regulatory State" about? Do any of the other top law schools have a class like this?

red_sox

New

Post by red_sox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

cahesu wrote:What is the class "The Administrative and Regulatory State" about? Do any of the other top law schools have a class like this?
It's similar to the admin course from other schools

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”