Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Series70
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Series70 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I lived in Columbia grad school housing for over four years, so I know a little bit about the area. Morningside Heights is quieter than other parts of Manhattan, and can be a nice place to come home to. That said, I always found it too isolated. With few exceptions, the restaurants in the area are mostly overpriced and poor quality, as are the supermarkets: basically, you have the choice between expensive places that rip off students on one hand and Harlem on the other. The long subway rides to and from downtown get really annoying after a while, too.

But I really loved Riverside Park. Another poster mentioned that it would be too cold to run for 4 months of the year, but I disagree--if you dress warmly enough, you can run year round (although snow tends to complicate things a bit). The path next to the Hudson River is fantastic. And while I would never go down into the park at night, there is a lighted stone pathway alongside Riverside Drive where I would often run after dark in the winter (when it's already night by 5pm). If you're female, you may want to run with somebody just to be sure, but I always saw other female students running alone there up until maybe 9pm.

There was some discussion before about 100th and Amsterdam, and I agree that the place can be a bit sketchy. There are a lot of projects around there, so you're definitely better off taking Broadway while walking back from campus. Also, I always felt a little unsafe in Morningside Heights, which is one of the reasons I left. The various Columbia-owned buildings I lived in housed quite a few drug dealers, addicts, and psychopaths along with graduate students, and I eventually got sick of the daily harassment. Be especially careful if you live north of campus, say 122nd street and beyond. I used to live on 122nd between Broadway and Amsterdam. A grad student was killed just a few yards from my door back in 2008, and a bunch of armed robberies and assaults happened to students over the years as well. Of course, those things could happen anywhere, but the place just gives me this eerie feeling--it's just too quiet, and there aren't many people around north of campus.

None of the law school students I know ever had any problems, though, and all are very happy about their overall experience at Columbia. CLS definitely treats its students better than the graduate school, no question.

Wouldugo
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Wouldugo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm really interested in SaraT's question also. Do any of you guys know CLS students who were deferred from early decision and then accepted or do you have any rough idea of how common that is? I've read opposing opinions about this on different TLS threads.

Thanks in advance for any responses and happy new year!

Wouldugo
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Wouldugo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:31 pm

I hate to do this, but... bump. Sorry!

User avatar
IHaveDietMoxie
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 am

for someone who likes to commute via bike, how does morningside rank on the safety scale relative to...say, GV? ty

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:00 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:for someone who likes to commute via bike, how does morningside rank on the safety scale relative to...say, GV? ty


To be absolutely honest, Morningside probably isn't as safe as Greenwich Village. That's not to say it's dangerous or that you can't commute via bike (I know several people who do), but I wouldn't be surprised if the incidence of bike theft is higher than downtown.

That said, you face a whole slew of other problems trying to commute by bike in the village, namely the fact that you have a significantly higher chance of getting hit by a truck or cab, and there are probably fewer places to lock your bike up.

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby badfish » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:08 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:for someone who likes to commute via bike, how does morningside rank on the safety scale relative to...say, GV? ty


To be absolutely honest, Morningside probably isn't as safe as Greenwich Village. That's not to say it's dangerous or that you can't commute via bike (I know several people who do), but I wouldn't be surprised if the incidence of bike theft is higher than downtown.

That said, you face a whole slew of other problems trying to commute by bike in the village, namely the fact that you have a significantly higher chance of getting hit by a truck or cab, and there are probably fewer places to lock your bike up.


NYU 1L chiming in. I ride my bike to and from school. I almost get hit on a daily basis. Once you get used to the fact that the cabbies are going to come as close to hitting you without actually hitting you, it isn't so bad.

yqsong
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby yqsong » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:13 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:for someone who likes to commute via bike, how does morningside rank on the safety scale relative to...say, GV? ty



how are you gonna bike during the winter months?
but i do see bikes chained outside the school all the time, so i guess it is generally safe, unless all the bikes belong to delivery guys

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby irie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:58 pm

badfish wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:for someone who likes to commute via bike, how does morningside rank on the safety scale relative to...say, GV? ty


To be absolutely honest, Morningside probably isn't as safe as Greenwich Village. That's not to say it's dangerous or that you can't commute via bike (I know several people who do), but I wouldn't be surprised if the incidence of bike theft is higher than downtown.

That said, you face a whole slew of other problems trying to commute by bike in the village, namely the fact that you have a significantly higher chance of getting hit by a truck or cab, and there are probably fewer places to lock your bike up.


NYU 1L chiming in. I ride my bike to and from school. I almost get hit on a daily basis. Once you get used to the fact that the cabbies are going to come as close to hitting you without actually hitting you, it isn't so bad.


get kryptonite locks, one chain one and one U-lock, that way a thief needs two different sets of tools to steal your bike. i've lived and biked in nyc long enough to know that if someone really wants your bike, they'll get it, no matter what you do. the best you can do is to make it annoying enough to steal that it becomes unworthy of their time and effort and they move on to steal an easier bike.

and spot on with the comment about cabbies coming as close to hitting you as they can without actually hitting you. you tend to become oblivious to how close cars get to you after a while (not sure if that's a good thing or not in case you leave manhattan someday), but with their fists waving, cursing, and horns blaring, drivers in nyc are really more bark than bite.

Darkwing
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Darkwing » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 pm

I was just accepted early decision to Columbia, and I think I should move into the dorms (to my girlfriend's distress) to focus on studying. In terms of proximity to campus, what's the best dorm for 1Ls? I just want to be close to the school and close to the library.

Location > quality, though I hope all Columbia dorms come equipped with big desks and decent heating.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby superserial » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Darkwing wrote:I was just accepted early decision to Columbia, and I think I should move into the dorms (to my girlfriend's distress) to focus on studying. In terms of proximity to campus, what's the best dorm for 1Ls? I just want to be close to the school and close to the library.

Location > quality, though I hope all Columbia dorms come equipped with big desks and decent heating.


Most of the housing is within 5 blocks of the school. The closest buildings are on 116th St. Most people study in the library, which is in the law school, so where you live doesn't necessarily have to be conducive to studying.

User avatar
deneuve39
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby deneuve39 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:20 pm

superserial wrote:
Darkwing wrote:I was just accepted early decision to Columbia, and I think I should move into the dorms (to my girlfriend's distress) to focus on studying. In terms of proximity to campus, what's the best dorm for 1Ls? I just want to be close to the school and close to the library.

Location > quality, though I hope all Columbia dorms come equipped with big desks and decent heating.


Most of the housing is within 5 blocks of the school. The closest buildings are on 116th St. Most people study in the library, which is in the law school, so where you live doesn't necessarily have to be conducive to studying.


I assume you're talking about the apartment buildings that CLS students can live in (I don't think we can live in the actual dorms...). Probably the best location is W. 115th street. There's three (I think) buildings that have a lot of 3-bedroom units. It's cheaper (around 1100) than Lenfest (law school apartment building on 121st) and very, very close. There are a couple buildings on 116th but I think they mostly have one-bedroom units, which you usually have to be in "couples housing" to get (i.e., have a significant other who's living with you). There are some individual students who can get one bedrooms but they're also paying a lot more--around 1800 a month. If you're concerned about cost, UAH buildings are generally cheaper but it's more of a crapshoot as to where you end up. There are some people I know who ended up in the 120s by Riverside Drive.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby UnitarySpace » Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm

anyone know anything about turning in an 8 hour take home 2 min late? i'm freaking out

AppsAbound
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:04 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby AppsAbound » Fri May 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I was just asking that question...try asking your TA.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Sogui » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 am

I turned one in last semester around 5-10m late. There was a small line at the turn-in station too that cost about 90 seconds too.

Absolutely no consequences, but results may vary. I wouldn't sweat it though, the whole point of take homes is that the answers aren't supposed to be as time-sensitive. I would raise hell if a professor burned me over 2m on a take-home without at least warning us about potential consequences in advance if they were that concerned about time.

wjnahill
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby wjnahill » Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Have any incoming students heard back regarding their housing or loan applications yet?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby piccolittle » Mon May 09, 2011 3:28 pm

wjnahill wrote:Have any incoming students heard back regarding their housing or loan applications yet?


From our FB group, it seems as though several people have gotten their housing assignments. I've only gotten the housing app approval email and I'm waiting anxiously for the actual assignment. Have a feeling I didn't do well in the lottery...

lynnford
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby lynnford » Fri May 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi,

I got my housing assignment--420 West. 116th Apt. 1B. I'm looking for any info on the layout... All the apartment staff could give me was the square footage (469). It's a 1 bedroom.

Has anyone seen a 1 bedroom in 420 W. 116th?

Thanks!

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Lem37 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:37 pm

lynnford wrote:Hi,

I got my housing assignment--420 West. 116th Apt. 1B. I'm looking for any info on the layout... All the apartment staff could give me was the square footage (469). It's a 1 bedroom.

Has anyone seen a 1 bedroom in 420 W. 116th?

Thanks!


Are you sure it's a one-bedroom? I assume there's a room 1A, which would be the second bedroom to your 1B (for example, my "official" UAH address is Apt. 63B, although I live in Apt. 63). I could be wrong, although I could've sworn there were only shares in that building.

lynnford
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby lynnford » Sat May 21, 2011 8:20 am

Lem37 wrote:
lynnford wrote:Hi,

I got my housing assignment--420 West. 116th Apt. 1B. I'm looking for any info on the layout... All the apartment staff could give me was the square footage (469). It's a 1 bedroom.

Has anyone seen a 1 bedroom in 420 W. 116th?

Thanks!


Are you sure it's a one-bedroom? I assume there's a room 1A, which would be the second bedroom to your 1B (for example, my "official" UAH address is Apt. 63B, although I live in Apt. 63). I could be wrong, although I could've sworn there were only shares in that building.


Thanks. They definitely said it is a 1-bedroom. I'm married and we asked for a 1-bedroom. When I called they confirmed it was an unfurnished 1-bedroom... We just have no idea what the layout is.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm

For people that did something PI related their first summer-

How hard is it to get funding from the school? I'm going to start inquiring with orgs I want to work with soon about when to apply, etc and want to make sure that the school would fund me working at those places. Is there very strict criteria or is it just basically "public interest based legal work".

Thanks a bunch! :)

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby Lem37 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:29 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:For people that did something PI related their first summer-

How hard is it to get funding from the school? I'm going to start inquiring with orgs I want to work with soon about when to apply, etc and want to make sure that the school would fund me working at those places. Is there very strict criteria or is it just basically "public interest based legal work".

Thanks a bunch! :)


It's not hard to get funding. However, CLS (and other schools - I think this is NALP related?) don't permit you to speak with public interest employers re: specific employment inquiries until after November 1st or December 1st of your 1L fall semester (I forget which - I'm a rising 3L, so this was a year and a half ago). I forget why, but it's strictly limited, so I would keep your inquiries reaaaally general.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls Taking Questions

Postby lakerfanimal » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:22 am

Lem37 wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:For people that did something PI related their first summer-

How hard is it to get funding from the school? I'm going to start inquiring with orgs I want to work with soon about when to apply, etc and want to make sure that the school would fund me working at those places. Is there very strict criteria or is it just basically "public interest based legal work".

Thanks a bunch! :)


It's not hard to get funding. However, CLS (and other schools - I think this is NALP related?) don't permit you to speak with public interest employers re: specific employment inquiries until after November 1st or December 1st of your 1L fall semester (I forget which - I'm a rising 3L, so this was a year and a half ago). I forget why, but it's strictly limited, so I would keep your inquiries reaaaally general.


Ok, awesome. Yeah I found that out after, so I probably will just have parts of cover letters done and then just talk to them during Nov/Dec. Thanks Lem!!! I appreciate you always taking time out to answer our questions :)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fantasyfreak294 and 3 guests