Stanford 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
voice of reason

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions

Postby voice of reason » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:01 am

hayman wrote:what are your stats/ what made you a standout?

also, i've heard that stanford isn't as pretty irl compared with the photos. is this true?

The Stanford campus is very attractive, especially if you like the style of architecture you see in the pictures. The law school is not the loveliest part of campus, though.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:14 pm

legends159 wrote:actually you would've never guessed who I was cause I'm more inconspicuous.

and I know i'm in the minority, but I really love our K's professor. By the way, if you read his model answers for an old exam, the class will make so much more sense and you'll realize why he teaches the way he does.

haha, that's true. my first guess did fail. but my real point was that, once we PMed and I figured out who you were, I knew you. that might not be true at a larger law school.

and i still can't stand the prof -- nice guy, but boooooring. which thankfully is a rarity at Stanford.

joshikousei wrote:... i'm going to start shutting up about myself now.

you can tell i don't really care. i'm only identifiable to people who already know me in real life. i don't say things on these boards that could get me in trouble. ;)

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:11 am

legends159 wrote:general trend is that those who don't have the Harvard type numbers probably has extensive pro-bono experience w/ Marshall/Rhodes/Truman considerations or hard science/engineering background (Phd).

Not to say that those with those numbers don't but they usually have some other kind of soft factor (writing for the NYT/WSJ; vice-presidents of fortune 500 etc; D1 sports etc.)

Do you 1Ls actually talk about your numbers?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:43 am

the topic has come up before but never in a cynical manner, just in the "oh yeah hard sciences are so much harder than liberal arts major, just look at the gpa distribution" manner.

I imagine talking about numbers only get sketchy when you aren't even close with the people. In a small school, people know a lot about one another.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Snooker wrote:Do you 1Ls actually talk about your numbers?

Not so much. I know a couple of folks' numbers, but those are folks who I was friends with before law school.

calawbiz

Postby calawbiz » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:23 pm

thanks for taking questions! how are the curricular and grading reforms faring? have students been responding well to the changes? what's changed this year, as far as the curriculum and interdisciplinary opportunities are concerned? i realize that the SLS students posting in this thread are 1Ls, but it would be great if you could share what you know.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:43 pm

calawbiz wrote:thanks for taking questions! how are the curricular and grading reforms faring? have students been responding well to the changes? what's changed this year, as far as the curriculum and interdisciplinary opportunities are concerned? i realize that the SLS students posting in this thread are 1Ls, but it would be great if you could share what you know.

Hmm. I think everyone is happy with the grade reform. I for one wish it would have gone even farther and gone regular P/F for the first quarter, a la Yale. I feel like everyone spent the first half of the quarter just trying to figure things out. Either way, it's a great grading system that encourages hard work without encouraging 1L stressing to the extent the old system did. It also does allow you to focus your energies on the classes you like without having to worry about getting a "bad" grade in a class you don't like. For instance, I'm all but certain to get a P in Contracts (I bet Legends gets an H), so I'm focusing my real time and attention on the classes I like and/or have a better shot in -- CivPro and Crim. Similarly, I slacked off in class all this week to work on our LRW brief, because I got good feedback on my first memo and think I might be able to pull an H in that class. In sum, the grade reform provides less stress and more flexibility.

The curriculum doesn't appear to be all that different this year, save a couple of things. We get one elective in winter quarter, and spring quarter is all elective (save for LRW). That's a big plus over most other law schools.

RE: Interdisciplinary stuff. 1Ls can't take classes outside the law school, so I haven't paid too much attention. I know there's a big push for joint degrees, and there are several you can get without any extra time (years) or money. I also see a bunch of announcements for classes on the listserv. Classes across campus appear to actually look for law students -- especially classes at the business school. I haven't thought that far ahead, but I'm sure I'll take advantage of that somewhat in my next two years.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:38 pm

H/P wasn't all that different from the past from what I heard.

In the past students were allowed to take their classes P/F and I was told that 2 years ago (before the reform), 1/3 of the class took all their classes P/F and ended up with no problem at OCI and that's what prompted the move to H/P.

The distribution of H/P is supposed to be a secret (fool the employers so they focus less on grades), but one professor leaked it today and it's like a thousand times easier getting an H than getting an A.

calawbiz

Postby calawbiz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:56 am

That's great to hear. SLS sounds like a fantastic learning environment. Thanks legends and ndnlawdc! The layout and content on the website haven't exactly made it easy to learn about the curriculum, so I really appreciate your comments.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:27 pm

in an effort to continue procrastinating,

bump

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:31 am

legends159 wrote:in an effort to continue procrastinating,

bump

hayman wrote:what are your stats/ what made you a standout?

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:57 pm

Stats on LSN

what made me stand out? I'm not sure actually. I think my PS/DS

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:23 am

Stats on LSN.

I think my personal statement was good, because it articulated how I want my background to affect my career (Indian law). Plus Dean Deal seems to have a real thing for Trumans, because she reads Truman apps for the Foundation every year.

More importantly, figure out what makes you stand out. Half of it probably isn't even substantive -- it's just the way you make yourself stand out as an individual. Every minute put into that PS/DS is worth it.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:38 pm

This was a great read, folks. Thanks for sharing!

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Any more Qs? I just finished an 8-hour CivPro exam, and I can't bring myself to study for Torts (which isn't until Friday afternoon).

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Last edited by legends159 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 pm

I took 7.5 hours. I thought our word limit was bad -- at least we had 250 word limit for each of seven questions, stretching 7-8 pages of single-spaced facts and questions. We also had an extra 250 to allot across the questions as we saw fit. Then we had a 1000 word policy question. Whoohoo.

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:30 am

How many people over age 30 are in your class?

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:32 am

j2d3 wrote:How many people over age 30 are in your class?

I'm not sure. I know there is one quite accomplished (like senior VP for humongous tech co) older dude, who adds a lot to my torts class. There are at least a couple of others who are definitely in their early 30s, as well as several more that are somewhere in the late-20s-early-30s range.

There might be more, but they're either not in my section or don't come to a lot of the social events. I'm married, so my social interactions with classmates are probably more limited than most.

Most importantly, a lot of folks have substantive, real-world experience before coming to law school. To come right from undergrad is the exception, not the norm. Which I really appreciate.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:56 am

Hey 1Ls, I have a couple questions. I'm nearly positive I'll be at SLS next fall; it was my dream school and I got the call from Dean Deal last week. When answering these — especially the first question — please keep in mind that I went to Stanford UG, so I know the campus/Palo Alto, etc. I'm really just looking for insight that a law student, rather than an undergraduate, could provide.

- What do you guys do when you're not in class or studying? The nightlife in Palo Alto - you should know by now - sucks. Do people go to San Francisco? Other options?

- As far as housing, can everyone who wants it live in Munger? I've never actually been inside but I've heard it's nice, at least relative to Rains, which I know is awful.

caved

Postby caved » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:45 am

crackberry wrote:- What do you guys do when you're not in class or studying? The nightlife in Palo Alto - you should know by now - sucks. Do people go to San Francisco? Other options?

I need to know the answer to this too. Can't let this thread sink to the bottom.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 am

crackberry wrote:- What do you guys do when you're not in class or studying? The nightlife in Palo Alto - you should know by now - sucks. Do people go to San Francisco? Other options?

- As far as housing, can everyone who wants it live in Munger? I've never actually been inside but I've heard it's nice, at least relative to Rains, which I know is awful.

1) I actually managed a good bit of work/life balance this quarter, so I felt like I had a pretty decent amount of time (especially earlier in the quarter) to hang around. We (I'm married) went up to San Francisco nearly every weekend to hang out, and also did bar review, etc. There are a lot of social gatherings in Munger. I hung out with friends at the Nuthouse, which is my co-favorite of the divey bars in the area (along with Oasis in Menlo Park). We also did day trips to Monterey, Napa, Carmel, etc.

But that's all me. I get the feeling that most law students (at least 1Ls) don't hang out in SF all that much, and that folks go out to bars in Palo Alto or just hang out with friends in their apartments. There's a lot of on-campus drinking/parties, because folks don't want to spend money.

2) I don't know that everyone who asked got assigned to Munger, but a huge number of the 1Ls live there. One person was initially assigned to an EV studio, but called and argued with Housing and they switched this person to Munger. And you're right -- Munger is suuuuuper nice. I live in an EV one-bedroom, and Munger is way (WAY!) nicer. And pricier. But still, much nicer.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:28 am

Just keep in mind (reading back over my answers) that I'm married and might not be the best way to take the pulse of SLS socializing. But we do go out a lot, and keep up with folks. For what any of that is worth.

Damon

Postby Damon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Do you guys have any social or academic interactions with students from local law schools? namely Cal, Hastings, Santa clara? If you do, are the students from these schools patronized/despised? Is it possible for them to develop any kind of rapport/friendship with SLS students?

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Damon wrote:Do you guys have any social or academic interactions with students from local law schools? namely Cal, Hastings, Santa clara? If you do, are the students from these schools patronized/despised? Is it possible for them to develop any kind of rapport/friendship with SLS students?

No. I'd say there's not even that much interaction between SLS students and other grad students. We had a mixer with the medical school for Halloween. I have some other grad student friends from church, and from the Native community here at SLS, but even that's not the norm.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”