Stanford 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
birkenstockmarket

New

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions

Post by birkenstockmarket » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions, it's greatly appreciated.

I would love to hear any sense you might have as to how many Hs in one's first 3 quarters is the average (or median)?

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Tagging so I can read answers now, maybe write some answers a year from now.

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Ok, a question since a few of us were wondering: Do you remember when you found out your sections/professors for 1L?

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:18 pm

MaxWeber wrote:
Lt. Aldo Raine wrote:This link says that around half of the spots in Munger are quads, with the remainder being mostly studios.

https://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/g ... _chart.htm

I'd say a majority of 1Ls living in Munger are living in quads that they drew into with blind roommates, but, as BioEBear said above, we do not know much about the relative difficulty of drawing each option. You see more of a mix in the type of students 1Ls end up with. I live with 3 other 1Ls. Most 1Ls in quads have at least 1 roommate in a different program.
cool, thanks aldo! what would you pref and in what order?
+1
I'd like a little post hoc analysis on room selection for 0Ls please :)

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:30 pm

pride09 wrote:Ok, a question since a few of us were wondering: Do you remember when you found out your sections/professors for 1L?

Mid-August.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JeremyPaul

New

Post by JeremyPaul » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Mid-August.
Oh my. That's a long ways away... :(

DeepSeaLaw

New

Post by DeepSeaLaw » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 am

Not that actually seeing my loan totals for next year has anything to do with this, but I'm curious about academic-year opportunities to work at Stanford (RA, TA, etc.). I would assume that the first quarter (and maybe all of 1L year) is too important and stressful already to try anything like this, but how hard is it for, say, a 2L to get a substantive part-time job that would result in a slight tuition remission or income? Assume said student is comfortable with quantitative research (decent math/stats skills) but doesn't have an advanced degree or impressive work experience.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:20 am

DeepSeaLaw wrote:Not that actually seeing my loan totals for next year has anything to do with this, but I'm curious about academic-year opportunities to work at Stanford (RA, TA, etc.). I would assume that the first quarter (and maybe all of 1L year) is too important and stressful already to try anything like this, but how hard is it for, say, a 2L to get a substantive part-time job that would result in a slight tuition remission or income? Assume said student is comfortable with quantitative research (decent math/stats skills) but doesn't have an advanced degree or impressive work experience.
I know at least 7 1Ls (myself included) who are RAing right now, and two others who have been TAs outside the law school. Two other 1Ls are working part-time as patent agents, too, I believe. And an advanced degree/significant WE are usually not required for RAs (unless the professor's research requires an assistant with a strong stats background, which may happen).

1L year is as rough as you want to make it.

SR_B

New

Post by SR_B » Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Do most people sign up for full year or academic year housing contracts? The former obviously has some advantages, but I feel like it's difficult to commit myself when my 1L summer plans are still far in the distance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 am

SR_B wrote:Do most people sign up for full year or academic year housing contracts? The former obviously has some advantages, but I feel like it's difficult to commit myself when my 1L summer plans are still far in the distance.
Sign up for both as options. It doesn't matter; you can withdraw from the full-year contract up until April 29 (give or take a few days per year) if you get a job that makes you live off campus. By signing up for both, you almost double your chance to get placed in Munger, since certain apts are full year and certain apts are academic year.

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:38 am

well damn i should've read that about munger earlier :P

pride09

New

Post by pride09 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 am

My printer broke a while ago and I'm considering getting a new one for law school. Is this recommended? Do students get a quota of free copies at the library? Is it enough?
thanks

birkenstockmarket

New

Post by birkenstockmarket » Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 am

I would love some current information about cell phone reception on campus. I found threads from ~2006 saying only ATT worked on campus. Is this still true? My family in considering switching to T-Mobile or Verizon. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

z3201

New

Post by z3201 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am

bump...in case you all happen to be taking a break from studying for finals. good luck with them!!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:13 am

z3201 wrote:bump...in case you all happen to be taking a break from studying for finals. good luck with them!!
One more to go (tomorrow). Must say, I love SLS, but a ten month 1L year is a teeeeeny bit long.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:06 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
z3201 wrote:bump...in case you all happen to be taking a break from studying for finals. good luck with them!!
One more to go (tomorrow). Must say, I love SLS, but a ten month 1L year is a teeeeeny bit long.
Are you guys seriously still in exams? WTF!!!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:49 pm

adameus wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Much to our dismay, yes. Exam season round 3 goes 'til next Tuesday. And some of us have papers due JULY 5th.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:51 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
adameus wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Much to our dismay, yes. Exam season round 3 goes 'til next Tuesday. And some of us have papers due JULY 5th.
Wow! How do you have time for a summer job?

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:56 pm

pride09 wrote:My printer broke a while ago and I'm considering getting a new one for law school. Is this recommended? Do students get a quota of free copies at the library? Is it enough?
thanks
If you're going to live in Munger, I doubt that you'll need a printer. The library is all of a few feet away, and, as far as I know, we have unlimited (or effectively unlimited) printing privileges (at least for b/w documents). If you plan to live in EV, Rains, or off-campus, it's probably worth buying something cheap for the few times a year you'll want one.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:38 pm

adameus wrote:Are you guys seriously still in exams? WTF!!!

Wow! How do you have time for a summer job?
Most of us start either next Monday (June 6th) or the following one (June 13th). With a 10 week summer, that gives us a weeklong vacation on either the front-end or the back-end of work. And then it's OCI time.

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 pm

OCI's a vacation :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MaxWeber

New

Post by MaxWeber » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Last edited by MaxWeber on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgir

Bronze

Post by tgir » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 pm

MaxWeber wrote:incoming 1L here---where do law students eat on campus? meal plan worth it?

also, anyone else on this board having trouble accessing SLSNavigator? i setup my SUNet ID and have access to Axess and the librarie ecatalog, but not SLSNavigator. i get a 401 authorization message when i try...
Tons of SLS web pages, including the SLSNavigator, are only available to current students. So until we actually formally enroll in the fall, our SUNet ID's have only partial access.

sfxx

New

Post by sfxx » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Can anyone link me to or post the undergraduate representation at SLS?

jonfen

New

Post by jonfen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:09 am

How many clinics does Stanford allow you to take? I assume not too many since they last for an entire quarter, but I am interested in two very different clinics, and was wondering if it was possible to take two before graduating?

Thank you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”