Stanford 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
calawbiz

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions

Postby calawbiz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm

How is the Socratic method used at Stanford? Are there any 1L profs who are particularly brutal?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:48 pm

calawbiz wrote:How is the Socratic method used at Stanford? Are there any 1L profs who are particularly brutal?

Great question. I'm interested in this as well.

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:20 pm

calawbiz wrote:How is the Socratic method used at Stanford? Are there any 1L profs who are particularly brutal?

I have not had any brutal professors. Many teachers use the panel system, where each day a group of people is assigned to be on call. The ones that do cold call and/or use Socratic method tend to move on from you if you do not know the answer. Or they try to help you find the answer. Other 1Ls may have had different experiences.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:50 pm

crackberry wrote:Question: when is that building that's under construction behind the law school (I assume it's another wing?) going to be finished? I walked by it today and the noise was pretty annoying.

It is on schedule for winter 2010. The noise is quite annoying. When we had our little earthquake earlier in the quarter, we all thought it was construction noise at first. I guarantee you they'll start something super loud right when our conlaw exam starts on Monday.

southernlady wrote:

I have not had any brutal professors. Many teachers use the panel system, where each day a group of people is assigned to be on call. The ones that do cold call and/or use Socratic method tend to move on from you if you do not know the answer. Or they try to help you find the answer. Other 1Ls may have had different experiences.

Ditto. My most "brutal" prof used a panel system, so at least while you were being grilled (mercilessly, at times) you knew to prepare heavily, and you only had to do it twice in the quarter. Even Kathleen Sullivan, who has a reputation for being relatively stringent in class, never pushed particularly hard. I don't know anyone whose profs have been remotely Paper Chase-like.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Define brutal? Some will stick with you for a while and tease out issues to try and teach the class ways of argumentative thinking. Others will move on. No one will try to make you feel bad. It depends on the person though. If you're afraid of looking uncertain in front of your peers then you might call it brutal. If you have thick skin then you won't care.

I'm pretty sure no professor will factor your cold calling performance into your grades.

calawbiz

Postby calawbiz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:20 pm

legends159 wrote:

Define brutal? Some will stick with you for a while and tease out issues to try and teach the class ways of argumentative thinking. Others will move on. No one will try to make you feel bad. It depends on the person though. If you're afraid of looking uncertain in front of your peers then you might call it brutal. If you have thick skin then you won't care.

I'm pretty sure no professor will factor your cold calling performance into your grades.

Yeah, by brutal I meant Paper Chase brutal. Thanks to everyone for their insight!

traficante

Postby traficante » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

I think a good case can be made that Stanford only lags behind Yale in terms of academic placement.

For those of us wanting to enter academia (and particularly for those of us with advanced degrees), what kind of options are there, and what does the class profile look like as regards academic ambitions? And what do career prospects currently look like for graduating students seeking academic employment?

As far as I know, both Harvard and Yale will help with your loans if you pursue academics (and your salary is low enough). Are there similar options or resources for Stanford grads? I haven't seen anything yet, which is why I find the placement numbers a little surprising.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:17 pm

I'm heading up to Stanford over spring break to check it out. Is there anything you guys would recommend to make sure I see while i'm up there? anyone I should talk to?

Thanks

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Knockglock wrote:I'm heading up to Stanford over spring break to check it out. Is there anything you guys would recommend to make sure I see while i'm up there? anyone I should talk to?

Thanks

My completely obvious answer: Go on a walking tour of the campus, and make sure you see the Oval. It's just so pretty.

Maybe check out Munger however much you can? Someone might let you it, but we will be on spring break next week too if that is when you are coming. If the market is open, you might be able to at least get into one of the buildings and get an idea of what it looks like. You can at least see what a short walk it is to the law school!

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm

southernlady wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I'm heading up to Stanford over spring break to check it out. Is there anything you guys would recommend to make sure I see while i'm up there? anyone I should talk to?

Thanks

My completely obvious answer: Go on a walking tour of the campus, and make sure you see the Oval. It's just so pretty.

Maybe check out Munger however much you can? Someone might let you it, but we will be on spring break next week too if that is when you are coming. If the market is open, you might be able to at least get into one of the buildings and get an idea of what it looks like. You can at least see what a short walk it is to the law school!

Thank you very much! appreciate it.

GOB Bluth

Postby GOB Bluth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:06 pm

southernlady wrote:

Thanks

I'll be here for spring break so I can let you into SothernLady's apartment if you want to see what the studios look like :D

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:18 pm

In all seriousness, for a mid-twenties, single 1L, four-person suites are the way to go right? Also, I've got a buddy who's a 1L and he lives with three non-law students. How common is that, given that law students get priority in Munger?

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 am

GOB Bluth wrote:
southernlady wrote:

Thanks

I'll be here for spring break so I can let you into SothernLady's apartment if you want to see what the studios look like :D

hahaha i was super creeped out that someone knew i had a studio until i saw this was you. then i was only a little bit creeped out...

southernlady

Postby southernlady » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 am

crackberry wrote:In all seriousness, for a mid-twenties, single 1L, four-person suites are the way to go right? Also, I've got a buddy who's a 1L and he lives with three non-law students. How common is that, given that law students get priority in Munger?

depends on the person, really. i fit that description, but i am easily distracted. the studio has worked out really well for me in that regard.

it is pretty common to have a non-law grad student in the 4-person apartments. it is usually a mix if people did not choose their roommates.

Carnertine

Postby Carnertine » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Does stanford have a past exams database?

phabulosa

Postby phabulosa » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 am

How many transfer students does Stanford accept each year? Where are they coming from?

GOB Bluth

Postby GOB Bluth » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:54 am

southernlady wrote:hahaha i was super creeped out that someone knew i had a studio until i saw this was you. then i was only a little bit creeped out...

it's all good, your plants are being watered just fine. :wink:

for the record, other lady friends tell me stanford is in fact full of creepers (who already have girlfriends) that grope chicks at bar review. fwiw i guess

Carnertine wrote:Does stanford have a past exams database?

its up to the prof to post them, but yea just about every prof has at least 2, the olderones will have 10+ exams with model answers. you need a SUID to access them though, in case you wanted to look at them right now.

phabulosa wrote:How many transfer students does Stanford accept each year? Where are they coming from?

it's gotta be on the website somewhere, or in some recruiting material. i know one transfer that I met in the library. I think he came from UVa. Nice guy.
If had to guess I'd say no more than 10.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:59 pm

This is sort of a ridiculous question, but I figure this is as good a place as any to ask: for a single, mid-twenties applicant who does not need to include parents' information on FAFSA, how much need-based aid should I expect to receive from SLS?

- Middle/middle-upper class family (could pay, but will not be paying)
- No outstanding federal loans
- single, 24 years old
- 2009 income was about $35K

I have honestly no idea what to expect. I'm not asking any of you to predict, but if one of you fits the profile above (or relatively close to it) and could tell me (PM if you prefer) how much you got, it would be much appreciated so I can at least have a ballpark idea.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I envy you Stanford students so much.. Yesterday I got nervous just sending them a question about the 2010-2011 cycle. I pray that I get accepted next cycle, it would really be a dream. I cant wait til this semester is over so I can finally have a finalized gpa along with my LSAT.

calawbiz

Postby calawbiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I saw somewhere that students taking non-1L required courses can self-schedule exams. How does this work? Do you just show up at an exam room on a day you'd like to take the exam, or do you have to let the Registrar know ahead of time? I think Stanford is the only school that has a self-scheduling exam policy (Yale lets individual students self-schedule if they want -- it's up to the prof to give the ok), so it would be interesting to know how it's working out.

atomnc

Postby atomnc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey Guys - SLS 2L here (and hey to my fellow SLS-ers). With ASW coming up, I figured you guys might have more questions you'd like answered, so feel free to hit us up, as we're just getting back from spring break and getting geared up for the new quarter.

[quote="calawbiz"]I saw somewhere that students taking non-1L required courses can self-schedule exams. How does this work? Do you just show up at an exam room on a day you'd like to take the exam, or do you have to let the Registrar know ahead of time? I think Stanford is the only school that has a self-scheduling exam policy (Yale lets individual students self-schedule if they want -- it's up to the prof to give the ok), so it would be interesting to know how it's working out.[/quote]

We are allowed to self-schedule most non-required courses. That is, even for 1Ls, if they took an elective winter quarter and then for all of spring quarter, we have a week in which we can take our exams. Most of the professors have switched to one-day, eight-hour take home exams on this system, so you come by the registrar first thing in the morning, go wherever you wanna work, and turn the exam in by 4:30 that afternoon. (There are word limits on these exams, so no, you aren't writing for eight hours straight.) Some profs still do the standard four hour, in a room exams. They then have two choices. Some professors still "schedule" the exam, in that you will be given two days to pick from and you choose which one works better for your timeframe. Others do a standard in-class, but with self-scheduling, meaning that you'll be in a room with people taking a variety of different exams (but there will be a classroom for exams that take 4 hours, one for exams that take 4.5, etc. so you all end at the same time). It's a great system in allowing you to either study more by end-loading, or starting break early, by front-loading (that's what I did last quarter - scheduled my only exam on Monday of exam week and then had a two weeks spring break).

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 am

Current students: how well stocked is the 24-hour market in Munger? Does it sell meat, fruit, beer?

GOB Bluth

Postby GOB Bluth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Current students: how well stocked is the 24-hour market in Munger? Does it sell meat, fruit, beer?

Do you mean the market that closes at like 5 pm and isn't open on weekends? Yea its pretty well stocked. Same stuff as whole foods, and only 10-20% more expensive.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Does The 750 still exist? Hahahaha.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Glad it is well stocked. As for the hours of operation, the Munger profile on Stanford's website says:

The complex has a café for dining and meeting with friends, a 24-hour convenience/grocery store for easy shopping...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”