Stanford 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
legends159

Silver

Re: Stanford 1L taking questions

Post by legends159 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:35 am

Doubt any 1L will have time to do an internship during the school year.

But you can join journals and do a lot of pro-bono activities during your 1L year here.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:23 am

crackberry wrote:I'm not an SLS student but I went to Stanford UG, so I can offer some advice here.

I never lived in EV as an undergrad obviously, but I will say that it is very much isolated from the rest of campus. There are NO undergrads trolling around (for better or worse) and it is very quiet. Munger, on the other hand, is right smack in the middle of campus, across the street from a large collection of freshman dorms and very closely situated to the Row and the cluster of sororities.

There is absolutely no comparison between Berkeley and Stanford, but if you're looking for a dive bar, the Nuthouse on California Ave. is definitely your best bet. Peanut shells on the floor, darts, rundown pool table, that sort of thing. I agree with legends that Calif. Ave. is going to be better than University Ave. for a more "grungy" feel, though I wouldn't actually call it "grungy" by any stretch of the imagination - Calif. Ave is also home to a Starbucks and a gourmet burger joint called The Counter.

Castro Street in Mountain View (just south of campus) is a pretty fun alternative to Palo Alto and definitely has fewer undergrads floating around. I never went to San Jose as it seems San Francisco/Berkeley has everything the SJ area has to offer and more.

Palo Alto (and Stanford campus in general) may be one of the most bike-friendly places in the world. There are miles and miles of bike paths in the area and, if you're up for a challenge, biking into the foothills is very rewarding and yields an awesome view. Everyone bikes on campus. If you don't, you'll be the exception rather than the rule. Also, Stanford's free bus system - The Marguerite - is pretty good. I didn't use it much as an undergrad because I had a car, but for those without a car it is very helpful.

As for the beach, Half Moon Bay is 30-40 minutes away with no traffic. Camping is technically illegal but is often done. For better beaches, head southwest to the Santa Cruz/Big Sur area. Those are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and camping is encouraged (both in established campgrounds and off the beaten track). There is awesome coastal hiking down there as well. It's about an hour to an hour and a half away.
I was also a Stanford ugrad and have lived here with my SO in grad housing this past year. We lived in EV, which is mostly very, very quiet, except outside our window, where screaming children liked to play for some reason. From what we experienced, it was more of a collection of grad students doing their own things, but we saw the occasional barbecue. It's also a very large area, so your bike commute could vary quite a bit depending on where in EV you are. We currently live in Rains, which is a pretty happy medium between EV and Munger as far as location, and, while the apartments are spartan relative to Munger, they're cheaper and comparable in quality to EV. Also, in Rains, there is a pretty active grad group that organizes get-togethers and such. We went to a free Chipotle night the other day and chatted up some people, and I think they're planning a "lemon picking party" (yes, we have lemon trees) that will probably end with lemon-themed cocktails. Munger, if you want/can afford it, is very, very, very nice, relative to everywhere else you can live as a grad student. Seriously, night and day, if you don't mind living in a large building. Some friends and I sat out on their Munger balcony this past weekend, sunshine, totally blue sky, nice breeze, could see the hills across the bay, sipped wine, ate chips and guac....sublime.

I'm from Seattle, which is similar to Berkeley in a lot of ways. Palo Alto, in my opinion, is the biggest minus for Stanford. It is, in general, a large country club, so you have to work at getting anywhere that's cheap, let alone a divey, shagged-out places. I didn't have a car, so I felt isolated, SF could be 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 30 minutes one way if you're taking Caltrain on the weekends from campus. On the other hand, you could have a car and (speeding) get there in 45ish minutes (if I go to SLS, I will buy one). I'm used to being close to a big city, so, to me, SLS saying they're "close" to SF is quite misleading. Just my two cents.

I biked all four years and bike 2.5 miles to work everyday. Very biker friendly, IMO--bike lines, there's a bike "boulevard" through Palo Alto that only allows bikes to go straight through major intersections while cars have to turn left or right (cuts down on traffic); essentially flat unless you venture into the foothills.

Let me/us know if you have any other questions.

Nerka

New

Post by Nerka » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 am

But you can join journals and do a lot of pro-bono activities during your 1L year here.
I was actually talking about short-term opportunities over winter break and spring break when classes aren't in session...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:56 am

Nerka wrote:

I was actually talking about short-term opportunities over winter break and spring break when classes aren't in session...
winter break = two weeks.

spring break = 1 week. This year the LS is running a trip to do work in New Orleans.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 am

legends159 wrote:
Nerka wrote:

winter break = two weeks.

spring break = 1 week. This year the LS is running a trip to do work in New Orleans.
Spring Break in New Orleans.

I hear Bourbon Street is hoppin' in March.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 pm

crackberry wrote: Spring Break in New Orleans.

I hear Bourbon Street is hoppin' in March.
I don't understand how people can go work over break. I feel like I'll probably be mentally exhausted by the end of finals, and all I'll want to do is recover on a nice beach somewhere. Though I won't be sitting on any beach, that's all I'll want to be doing.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:03 pm

I will need a new laptop for law school, so the financial aid deal at the Stanford Bookstore (http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/jd/) sounds perfect. If anyone here took advantage of the program, what are your thoughts? Did you buy the computer over the summer or just before the academic year began? Has the computer been problem-free?

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I will need a new laptop for law school, so the financial aid deal at the Stanford Bookstore (http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/jd/) sounds perfect. If anyone here took advantage of the program, what are your thoughts? Did you buy the computer over the summer or just before the academic year began? Has the computer been problem-free?
I didn't do this program, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents that you do not need a special laptop. I am not quite sure that that website means about only particular laptops working for law school. I just brought the 1-year-old laptop I already had. As long as your computer is less than like 3 years old, you are fine.

I do know some people who got special increases in financial aid for computer purchases. It is a bit tricker, though, so maybe do not count on getting that money immediately.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:26 pm

Seriously, what is with all the rain in the Bay Area this year? I was on campus yesterday and I haven't seen that much water in Lake Lag since my freshman year (Winter 04/05).

Whatever. I guess California could use the water.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm

If we live in Munger, does anyone know how long before classes start that we'd be able to move in? I'm currently trying to plan my move and the end of my lease here in Colorado...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Kretzy wrote:If we live in Munger, does anyone know how long before classes start that we'd be able to move in? I'm currently trying to plan my move and the end of my lease here in Colorado...
I know last year move-in was two days before orientation, if that helps.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:30 pm

southernlady wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I will need a new laptop for law school, so the financial aid deal at the Stanford Bookstore (http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/tuition/jd/) sounds perfect. If anyone here took advantage of the program, what are your thoughts? Did you buy the computer over the summer or just before the academic year began? Has the computer been problem-free?
I didn't do this program, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents that you do not need a special laptop. I am not quite sure that that website means about only particular laptops working for law school. I just brought the 1-year-old laptop I already had. As long as your computer is less than like 3 years old, you are fine.

I do know some people who got special increases in financial aid for computer purchases. It is a bit tricker, though, so maybe do not count on getting that money immediately.
Thanks for your reply. While I wish I didn't need a new laptop, I do; my current computer is a desktop.

I think you may be right about them offering the aid for all laptops. From the handbook two years ago:
"Students who receive financial aid and who purchase a new
laptop to meet this requirement can have their financial aid
packages revised to take out a loan for the purchase price
of a laptop computer, up to a maximum of $3300. Students
who do not receive financial aid can obtain a private loan,
facilitated through the financial aid office. Students must
save their receipts from the computer purchase to obtain
this loan."

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:If we live in Munger, does anyone know how long before classes start that we'd be able to move in? I'm currently trying to plan my move and the end of my lease here in Colorado...
Any idea how long orientation is? I suspect it consists of fairly jam-packed days?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:37 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Any idea how long orientation is? I suspect it consists of fairly jam-packed days?
Yeah I think 2 or 3 days. A 1L should obviously correct me if I'm wrong here.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Orientation started on 8/26/09, and 1L's moved in on 8/24/09 (8am to 5pm). There was also the option of an early move-in date of 8/21/09, but you have to specify that on your housing application. So if the pattern from the last 2 years holds, you should be able to move in either 8/20 or 8/23, with orientation on 8/25.
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/ca ... cal_09.htm

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:47 pm

crackberry wrote:I'm not an SLS student but I went to Stanford UG, so I can offer some advice here.

I never lived in EV as an undergrad obviously, but I will say that it is very much isolated from the rest of campus. There are NO undergrads trolling around (for better or worse) and it is very quiet. Munger, on the other hand, is right smack in the middle of campus, across the street from a large collection of freshman dorms and very closely situated to the Row and the cluster of sororities.

There is absolutely no comparison between Berkeley and Stanford, but if you're looking for a dive bar, the Nuthouse on California Ave. is definitely your best bet. Peanut shells on the floor, darts, rundown pool table, that sort of thing. I agree with legends that Calif. Ave. is going to be better than University Ave. for a more "grungy" feel, though I wouldn't actually call it "grungy" by any stretch of the imagination - Calif. Ave is also home to a Starbucks and a gourmet burger joint called The Counter.

Castro Street in Mountain View (just south of campus) is a pretty fun alternative to Palo Alto and definitely has fewer undergrads floating around. I never went to San Jose as it seems San Francisco/Berkeley has everything the SJ area has to offer and more.

Palo Alto (and Stanford campus in general) may be one of the most bike-friendly places in the world. There are miles and miles of bike paths in the area and, if you're up for a challenge, biking into the foothills is very rewarding and yields an awesome view. Everyone bikes on campus. If you don't, you'll be the exception rather than the rule. Also, Stanford's free bus system - The Marguerite - is pretty good. I didn't use it much as an undergrad because I had a car, but for those without a car it is very helpful.

As for the beach, Half Moon Bay is 30-40 minutes away with no traffic. Camping is technically illegal but is often done. For better beaches, head southwest to the Santa Cruz/Big Sur area. Those are some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and camping is encouraged (both in established campgrounds and off the beaten track). There is awesome coastal hiking down there as well. It's about an hour to an hour and a half away.
I'm pretty sure I've seen spots in the Half Moon Bay parking lots that are designated for pitching tents.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:18 am

Bought my new mac just before school began. It's worth waiting that long because, for the last two years, Apple has rolled out new laptop lines in August. If you're not a mac person, then it doesn't matter. But whatever computer you buy at the bookstore (which is right next to the law school, btw) can be serviced at the bookstore, making it worth it to buy it there IMHO. The laptop loan is super easy to get -- you just take your receipt to financial aid, and a disbursement occurs a few days later.
crackberry wrote:Seriously, what is with all the rain in the Bay Area this year? I was on campus yesterday and I haven't seen that much water in Lake Lag since my freshman year (Winter 04/05).

Whatever. I guess California could use the water.
Apparently it's all El Nino. My drive back from San Francisco tonight took an hour and 45 minutes, and that was on 280.

im_blue wrote: Orientation started on 8/26/09, and 1L's moved in on 8/24/09 (8am to 5pm). There was also the option of an early move-in date of 8/21/09, but you have to specify that on your housing application. So if the pattern from the last 2 years holds, you should be able to move in either 8/20 or 8/23, with orientation on 8/25.
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/ca ... cal_09.htm
They just sent out the new academic calendar. Move-in for 1Ls is 8/23, with orientation Wed/Thurs/Fri (and socially continuing on Saturday) and classes starting the next Monday. OCI starts 8/23 too, which is annoying. The days are pretty packed, if I remember rightly. But you don't have to go to everything, and I skipped stuff to take naps because I was still pretty beat from our cross-country road trip.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks, ndnlaw. This information is incredibly helpful.

Another question for folks already there: how necessary is owning a bike? It may be that I road trip it to CA, so buying a cheap bike and tossing it in the U-Haul would be easy enough. But I don't want a bike if law students typically don't need 'em. (I hope to live in Munger.)

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 pm

if you live in munger you won't need it. Munger is a 2 minute walk from the lawschool

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:55 pm

legends159 wrote:if you live in munger you won't need it. Munger is a 2 minute walk from the lawschool
And no need for a bike to go to other places? Groceries, meeting a friend for lunch somewhere?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
legends159 wrote:if you live in munger you won't need it. Munger is a 2 minute walk from the lawschool
And no need for a bike to go to other places? Groceries, meeting a friend for lunch somewhere?
Are you going to have a car? Palo Alto is not walking distance from Stanford really.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:37 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:My drive back from San Francisco tonight took an hour and 45 minutes, and that was on 280.
:shock: Yeah I had dinner with some friends in the city and some of them work on the Peninsula and they said traffic was all-time terrible last night.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Are you going to have a car? Palo Alto is not walking distance from Stanford really.
Na, no car. I was OK in college without one and I don't need the expense.

Crackberry, would you recommend a bike to someone without a car? And is public transportation viable for getting to and from Palo Alto?
Last edited by WhiskeyGuy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Crackberry, would you recommend a car to someone without a car? And is public transportation viable for getting to and from Palo Alto?
A car makes Stanford so much easier. You can take the Marguerite to Palo Alto without much problem. It's just kind of slow and takes a very circuitous route and makes lots of stops, etc. Plus you're at the mercy of the schedule and I don't know how late it runs. It also doesn't go everywhere you'd want to go in Palo Alto. Probably what you should do is do 1L with no car and then get one for 2L and 3L if you can't stand it. I would never go to Stanford without a car, but only because I couldn't get many of the places I'd want to go without one.

Also it's easy for me since I have a car now in SF.

Translation: Stanford is doable without a car for sure. It's just way less convenient.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Crackberry, would you recommend a car to someone without a car? And is public transportation viable for getting to and from Palo Alto?
A car makes Stanford so much easier. You can take the Marguerite to Palo Alto without much problem. It's just kind of slow and takes a very circuitous route and makes lots of stops, etc. Plus you're at the mercy of the schedule and I don't know how late it runs. It also doesn't go everywhere you'd want to go in Palo Alto. Probably what you should do is do 1L with no car and then get one for 2L and 3L if you can't stand it. I would never go to Stanford without a car, but only because I couldn't get many of the places I'd want to go without one.

Also it's easy for me since I have a car now in SF.

Translation: Stanford is doable without a car for sure. It's just way less convenient.
Very helpful dude. Thank you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”