UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 pm

swampman wrote:
june1 wrote:This may have been asked before, but how much do you think you spent per semester outside of rent? Trying to decide how much to borrow for living expenses..

This is going to vary immensely depending on how often you eat out, go out for drinks, car payments, health insurance etc. You can and should borrow the full amount and then return it later on in the year (you won't incur interest or fees).


I'm not the best source for this since I'm using a combination of savings and private loans, but as far as I can remember Jennifer Hulvey (Dir. of Fin. Aid at UVA) said don't take the full value upfront because you will start incurring interest. I think you keep visiting the Fin Aid office and get regular payouts rather than all upfront to avoid interest. I'd suggest estimating your monthly budget and then talking to Jennifer Hulvey to see what the best options are. She's very helpful.

As far as my spending habits go, here's an estimated monthly breakdown:
Apartment in Ivy (2 bedroom): $530
Water/Electricity/Internet (no cable): $130
Food Costs (groceries, dining out, etc.): $400-$500 (lower during finals since I eat out less)
Bars, drinks, etc.: $100 (I drink a lot and like nice stuff, but prices in CVille are pretty cheap so you could keep this down)
Gas: ~$30 (this varies a lot, some months I don't fill up at all)
Car Insurance: $116 (this went down from when I was living in a big city)
Health Insurance: $218 (UVA plan)

Total: ~$1500 a month

Also keep in mind that there will be other expenses throughout the year:
Books: $750-$1k per semester (buy online, you can bring this cost down)
Decent Interview Suit: $200-$450 (plus ties, nice shirt, shoes, etc. if you don't have them. Not sure about the price for females)
Travel costs to/from "home" during breaks: varies
Rent/utilities in another city for your summer job: varies
Section Funds: most sections collect $ at the beginning of the semester to fund events, etc. I think the general rule is $50 if you drink, $35 if you don't, but this can vary.
Car Payments
Loan Fees
New Laptop

Taking Books/Other spending into account I probably spend closer to $1800-$1900, which is just a bit more than the total cost listed on the UVA website. Obviously this is just an example, I know people who live on much less and others who spend a lot more. It all depends on what lifestyle you are expecting now and how much you are comfortable borrowing. I hope this helps!

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby TasmanianToucan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:41 pm

That was super helpful thanks!

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:45 pm

Forgot to add a security deposit for the apartment in Ivy. I think it was 1 month's rent.

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:26 pm

so last day for grades will be monday?

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6358
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:15 am

whats an updog wrote:so last day for grades will be monday?

That's the last day they're supposed to release grades. If you're waiting on a 1L class, probably a safe bet it will be then. Otherwise? Get comfy - who knows.

User avatar
rhododactylos
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rhododactylos » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 am

My understanding is that today is the deadline for professors to submit grades to student records, but that records has another week to upload the grades to SIS. Oh well, it's not like we need to know our GPA to get job applications ready or anything! :D

User avatar
UVAIce
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:07 am

I'd say 95% of the time you will have all of your grades on the deadline day. Every once in awhile something crazy will happen. Forewarning, if it is something crazy you'll likely be waiting a week or so past the deadline.

june1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby june1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:52 pm

cornerstone wrote:
swampman wrote:
june1 wrote:This may have been asked before, but how much do you think you spent per semester outside of rent? Trying to decide how much to borrow for living expenses..

This is going to vary immensely depending on how often you eat out, go out for drinks, car payments, health insurance etc. You can and should borrow the full amount and then return it later on in the year (you won't incur interest or fees).


I'm not the best source for this since I'm using a combination of savings and private loans, but as far as I can remember Jennifer Hulvey (Dir. of Fin. Aid at UVA) said don't take the full value upfront because you will start incurring interest. I think you keep visiting the Fin Aid office and get regular payouts rather than all upfront to avoid interest. I'd suggest estimating your monthly budget and then talking to Jennifer Hulvey to see what the best options are. She's very helpful.

As far as my spending habits go, here's an estimated monthly breakdown:
Apartment in Ivy (2 bedroom): $530
Water/Electricity/Internet (no cable): $130
Food Costs (groceries, dining out, etc.): $400-$500 (lower during finals since I eat out less)
Bars, drinks, etc.: $100 (I drink a lot and like nice stuff, but prices in CVille are pretty cheap so you could keep this down)
Gas: ~$30 (this varies a lot, some months I don't fill up at all)
Car Insurance: $116 (this went down from when I was living in a big city)
Health Insurance: $218 (UVA plan)

Total: ~$1500 a month

Also keep in mind that there will be other expenses throughout the year:
Books: $750-$1k per semester (buy online, you can bring this cost down)
Decent Interview Suit: $200-$450 (plus ties, nice shirt, shoes, etc. if you don't have them. Not sure about the price for females)
Travel costs to/from "home" during breaks: varies
Rent/utilities in another city for your summer job: varies
Section Funds: most sections collect $ at the beginning of the semester to fund events, etc. I think the general rule is $50 if you drink, $35 if you don't, but this can vary.
Car Payments
Loan Fees
New Laptop

Taking Books/Other spending into account I probably spend closer to $1800-$1900, which is just a bit more than the total cost listed on the UVA website. Obviously this is just an example, I know people who live on much less and others who spend a lot more. It all depends on what lifestyle you are expecting now and how much you are comfortable borrowing. I hope this helps!


Thank you, this is great! Also, I spoke with Financial Aid the other day and they told me that you could get all interest and fees incurred rebated as long as I returned the unused portion within 120 days of dispersal. So it doesn't hurt to guess high for the federal loans.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:16 pm

june1 wrote: Thank you, this is great! Also, I spoke with Financial Aid the other day and they told me that you could get all interest and fees incurred rebated as long as I returned the unused portion within 120 days of dispersal. So it doesn't hurt to guess high for the federal loans.


It's good that you can have the interest/fees rebated, but you will still pay interest on all of the money you keep from the date you originally received the loan, rather from when you need it. If you take the money for what you think you'll need in three months, you will be paying interest on money that is just sitting in your bank account (for the portion that you don't return at least). If you take smaller amounts when you need them, you won't have to return them later on and you will save on interest that can add up quickly. Sure, taking $1800 out a month earlier than you need it only gives you an extra ~$7.5 in interest accrued (based on 5% interest rate), but that adds up over the course of three years. In general there's no reason to borrow money just to have it sit around.

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sl5uw13 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm a 1l and I'm still missing two grades :roll:

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:48 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:I'm a 1l and I'm still missing two grades :roll:


luckily i'm only missing one right now, but i'm guessing yours are from your electives too?

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sl5uw13 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 pm

whats an updog wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:I'm a 1l and I'm still missing two grades :roll:


luckily i'm only missing one right now, but i'm guessing yours are from your electives too?


one doctrinal and one elective

asundialwatch
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby asundialwatch » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:07 pm

A bunch of grades went up.

User avatar
UVAIce
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Based on the course evals, I'm surprised that there aren't more 1L grades submitted at this point. I guess a lot folks will be sweating it for the next week waiting for the registrars office to put in the numbers. Sadly, we can no longer blame Cart Bennett.

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:18 pm

UVAIce wrote:Based on the course evals, I'm surprised that there aren't more 1L grades submitted at this point. I guess a lot folks will be sweating it for the next week waiting for the registrars office to put in the numbers. Sadly, we can no longer blame Cart Bennett.

My 1L course just got posted but evals for it still aren't up. They must be switching up the system.

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:45 pm

swampman wrote:
UVAIce wrote:Based on the course evals, I'm surprised that there aren't more 1L grades submitted at this point. I guess a lot folks will be sweating it for the next week waiting for the registrars office to put in the numbers. Sadly, we can no longer blame Cart Bennett.

My 1L course just got posted but evals for it still aren't up. They must be switching up the system.


Evals always come up a day later I think. Still waiting on my elective, guess it'll be a week or whatever. I actually think it's more satisfying to blame Dugas since I don't really know who Bennett was.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 am

The notification email that grades have been posted and that evals have been uploaded has been coming days later in some cases.

User avatar
rhododactylos
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rhododactylos » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 am

Can confirm. Received one grade last night and two this morning and no course evals or emails for any of them yet.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:42 pm

whats an updog wrote:Evals always come up a day later I think. Still waiting on my elective, guess it'll be a week or whatever. I actually think it's more satisfying to blame Dugas since I don't really know who Bennett was.

Be thankful.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

UVAIce wrote:I'd say 95% of the time you will have all of your grades on the deadline day. Every once in awhile something crazy will happen. Forewarning, if it is something crazy you'll likely be waiting a week or so past the deadline.


Any idea on why we would have to wait a week? Is this just from your experience? Do you mean that if we don't have a grade yet that we will have to wait a week for sure, or that we should be prepared for the possibility of waiting a week for grades that are not yet up?

Chrysogonus
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Chrysogonus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Any idea when we hear about law review?

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 pm

cornerstone wrote:
UVAIce wrote:I'd say 95% of the time you will have all of your grades on the deadline day. Every once in awhile something crazy will happen. Forewarning, if it is something crazy you'll likely be waiting a week or so past the deadline.


Any idea on why we would have to wait a week? Is this just from your experience? Do you mean that if we don't have a grade yet that we will have to wait a week for sure, or that we should be prepared for the possibility of waiting a week for grades that are not yet up?
They had a major update to SIS over the weekend, so profs might not have been able to upload grades since access was down for everyone.

Chrysogonus wrote:Any idea when we hear about law review?
The official list came out late-July last year, so I expect the calls probably went out the week or so before that. You'll know before your bids are due.

uvheylaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby uvheylaw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Anyone have any idea what rising 3Ls need gpa wise to grade on to LR?

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:32 am

Any guesses on where the VLR cutoff might be for us this year? Since they are still taking 25 students for grade on but our class size is 305-307 (I believe 2 dropped?), I'm guessing it will move down a bit. If you assume that the percentile will shift to 8.14-8.2% (not 6.94% like a class of 360) and use the LSN rank estimator (http://mylsn.info/rank-estimator/) it looks like the cutoff might dip below 3.7. Thoughts?

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:30 am

rising 3L cut off is probably ~3.72 ish

not sure about cut off for rising 2Ls, but it makes sense to me that it would dip. possibly just south of 3.7, but that's no more than a guess. i don't think you could reasonably use an estimator to get that info because in order to get an output your input would just be assumptions. the median won't be 3.3 and the 25% cutoff won't be 3.48, but we don't know what they will be.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests