UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 am

Jumping the gun here but, when is the grade deadline this year? Also, is it different for 1Ls/non 1Ls?

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:49 pm

June 8th, according to a dry-erase board in SRO.

teter
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby teter » Sun May 17, 2015 12:28 am

Does the Pavilion usually fill up completely?

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jkpolk » Tue May 19, 2015 2:31 pm

teter wrote:Does the Pavilion usually fill up completely?


Hard to say, it's only been open two years. If I had to guess, the more desirable/cheaper room types will fill completely, but I'd be surprised if every room gets rented (and I'd take whatever sales-pitch/mumbo-jumbo the front office gives you with a grain of salt).

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6396
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Tue May 19, 2015 3:29 pm

polkij333 wrote:
teter wrote:Does the Pavilion usually fill up completely?


Hard to say, it's only been open two years. If I had to guess, the more desirable/cheaper room types will fill completely, but I'd be surprised if every room gets rented (and I'd take whatever sales-pitch/mumbo-jumbo the front office gives you with a grain of salt).

This, and they're adding more rooms right now.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Tue May 19, 2015 6:16 pm

How did the pavilion end up turning out? Worth the double amount of rent as the surrounding places?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 pm

5ky wrote:How did the pavilion end up turning out? Worth the double amount of rent as the surrounding places?

Per like 75% of people I know who live/lived there, no. They've almost all moved out.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6369
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Good. Save your money, kids. An extra $500 a month might not seem like a lot based on your total debt load, but ~$19k extra to pay back after three years would be awful.

That's more than an extra half of a year repaying loans if you're shelling it out at $3k/month like I am.

chaptstick1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 11:05 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chaptstick1 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 am

Received final grades back today. Cumulative GPA is 3.58. Any idea what percentage that puts me around, to the extent that it matters for OGI? I have looked at class rank predictor but am not sure what numbers to plug in.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am

ballpark estimate is between top 15 and 20 percent right now, and my guess is closer to 15 than 20. under the "old" grading system you'd be barely inside the top 15 percentile. the collective bump to a small number of elective classes probably skews you just outside it.

this doesn't matter much, though. donovan 'n friends will give you enough context specific to your GPA for OCI purposes. and you can't run around projecting percentiles on your resume or whatever for mass mailing purposes for obvious reasons.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6396
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 pm

chaptstick1 wrote:Received final grades back today. Cumulative GPA is 3.58. Any idea what percentage that puts me around, to the extent that it matters for OGI? I have looked at class rank predictor but am not sure what numbers to plug in.

You're probably in good shape for OGI, but mass mail. MASS MAIL. You're not safe.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 pm

First Offense wrote:
chaptstick1 wrote:Received final grades back today. Cumulative GPA is 3.58. Any idea what percentage that puts me around, to the extent that it matters for OGI? I have looked at class rank predictor but am not sure what numbers to plug in.

You're probably in good shape for OGI, but mass mail. MASS MAIL. You're not safe.


in order for this to not be safe you either must A. Be in the 98th percentile of weirdness at this school, or B. Fail to bid your home market as well as NYC for OGI.

chaptstick1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 11:05 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chaptstick1 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I will be targeting Boston (my home market), anyone have any information on what my prospects will be like there? Planning to throw in a few DC firms and NY as backup.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:45 pm

chaptstick1 wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. I will be targeting Boston (my home market), anyone have any information on what my prospects will be like there? Planning to throw in a few DC firms and NY as backup.


Why DC? If you want Boston, go hard for Boston and then use NY as a backup. If DC is merely a second choice, I don't think it should be on your list at all. Every firm you list for DC is a firm you can't list for Boston (your top choice, it seems) or NY (the safer market).

chaptstick1
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 11:05 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby chaptstick1 » Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm

No reason for D.C. other than the fact that I really don't want to end up in NY (would be my last resort). I am planning on using all my top bids on BOS firms but there are only 19 coming this year (as of now at least), so I still have a lot of bids to fill out. Also planning on mailing BOS firms not coming.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BruceWayne » Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

5ky wrote:
The King wrote:
5ky wrote:C level grades are relatively rare but not something to freak out about. Cohen gives multiple C level grades for each class, as does Coughlin (generally).

I saw a couple Fs. Maybe a D or two.


I looked back a few pages. Is this person trolling?


no? i mean obviously Ds and Fs are for people who skip the exam or don't write anything down or something. don't worry about it.

i would hazard to say that the odds of a person who takes to TLS to fret about getting a C is in no danger of getting a C. your neurosis simply won't allow you to write an exam as badly as you would need to in order to get a C.
i know it seems like everybody is super smart and tries really hard, but there are people out there that just don't care and prepare very little.



This is a bit old and I'm not going to beleaguer the topic but...HFN to this to the absolute fullest. It does depend on the professors you end up with for 1L but HFN to the bolded. I will leave it at that. That is true of D's and F's though. D's and F's aren't for writing bad exams. They are reserved for not showing up turning the test in after the time limit has clearly expired etc.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sprezz » Fri May 22, 2015 1:05 pm

chaptstick1 wrote:No reason for D.C. other than the fact that I really don't want to end up in NY (would be my last resort). I am planning on using all my top bids on BOS firms but there are only 19 coming this year (as of now at least), so I still have a lot of bids to fill out. Also planning on mailing BOS firms not coming.

when the OCI thread gets started in the employment forum, you'll get a broader and likely more nuanced array of advice there. but this city preference thing is something you can think through before specifics come down the pipe from CSO. as a charter member of team fuck-NYC i certainly sympathize with your preference to avoid it, but have you spent time in DC? it's pretty shitty. nesting higher likelihood fallbacks behind lower likelihood fallbacks doesn't optimize your chances of hitting a job which is the entire point of having "fallbacks", so you should only do it if you're actively buying in to a city... not if you just want to avoid a different one.

BOS - NYC is a much safer array of bids (especially when, of the boston firms that came to '13 OCI, 15/19 had both BOS and DC, and depending on this year's "bands" your BOS preference might knock out a fair chunk of the hits for you in DC anyway)

absolutely mail BOS firms that aren't coming.

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 pm

To have 4 professors who were all reasonably fast in delivering grades sounds like a summer miracle. I have none back so far. I try to forget about them, but every time I talk to one of my non-law school friends for the first time in the summer they ask me if I know how finals went.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Fri May 22, 2015 7:00 pm

I had a 100% multiple choice final that got delivered today. Which is still kind of funny to me, that's basically 2 weeks to upload scantron results. To be fair, the prof had to check to see if there were any contested questions, but it's still quite awhile to wait.

Not to get into a debate about the bottom of the grade curve, but even as someone who is around bottom 25% of the class, I think it is really easy to avoid a C+. Never got one, only got one B-. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are never going to class AND never reading AND not studying from the outline bank for finals, you should be able to pull B- and B's in large lecture classes.

User avatar
cornerstone
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby cornerstone » Wed May 27, 2015 10:51 am

chaptstick1 wrote:Received final grades back today. Cumulative GPA is 3.58. Any idea what percentage that puts me around, to the extent that it matters for OGI? I have looked at class rank predictor but am not sure what numbers to plug in.


whats an updog wrote:To have 4 professors who were all reasonably fast in delivering grades sounds like a summer miracle. I have none back so far. I try to forget about them, but every time I talk to one of my non-law school friends for the first time in the summer they ask me if I know how finals went.


anon sequitur wrote:I had a 100% multiple choice final that got delivered today. Which is still kind of funny to me, that's basically 2 weeks to upload scantron results. To be fair, the prof had to check to see if there were any contested questions, but it's still quite awhile to wait.


+1 on the summer miracle. Anon sequitur: is that the only grade you have so far? I'm a rising 2L as well with 0 back trying to get more data points on when profs send grades out. Is there anybody out there with grades back?

For any rising 3Ls or UVA grads out there, do you recall when the bulk of grades start coming out?

Also, chaptstick1, I am also interested in Boston and have a nearly identical GPA to yours from 1st semester. I had a conversation with someone in CS about Boston firms, and I think a high 3.5 puts you in range for preselects/callback at almost all of the big firms. Ropes might be a bit more picky, but I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have a tie to MA.

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Wed May 27, 2015 11:24 am

If it's anything like Fall grades, they'll probably come back pretty close to the grade deadline.

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:31 pm

cornerstone wrote:For any rising 3Ls or UVA grads out there, do you recall when the bulk of grades start coming out?


Most of my Spring grades came in either the week before the grade deadline, and typically on the Friday before for whatever reason, or on the grade deadline. If you get anything earlier than that, consider yourself lucky.

june1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby june1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:52 pm

This may have been asked before, but how much do you think you spent per semester outside of rent? Trying to decide how much to borrow for living expenses..

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:59 pm

june1 wrote:This may have been asked before, but how much do you think you spent per semester outside of rent? Trying to decide how much to borrow for living expenses..

This is going to vary immensely depending on how often you eat out, go out for drinks, car payments, health insurance etc. You can and should borrow the full amount and then return it later on in the year (you won't incur interest or fees).

june1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby june1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:18 pm

swampman wrote:
june1 wrote:This may have been asked before, but how much do you think you spent per semester outside of rent? Trying to decide how much to borrow for living expenses..

This is going to vary immensely depending on how often you eat out, go out for drinks, car payments, health insurance etc. You can and should borrow the full amount and then return it later on in the year (you won't incur interest or fees).


Thanks, I'm still trying to figure out the loan system, so this was very helpful.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests