UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Ed Helms is speaking on Friday...I'd go to that at the very least. The 3Ls I knew last year skipped the Lawn stuff.

The King

Postby The King » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:08 pm

The King wrote:Would someone be willing to PM me about the 1L grading curve at UVA? I understand that the average grade in each section is a B+, but I want to know a bit more. For example, how common are C/C+ type grades? What about B- grades?

Depends so much on the particular professors.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:10 pm

First Offense wrote:
The King wrote:Would someone be willing to PM me about the 1L grading curve at UVA? I understand that the average grade in each section is a B+, but I want to know a bit more. For example, how common are C/C+ type grades? What about B- grades?

And that will be the same answer at any T14 (or any school for that matter). You shouldn't be picking a school based on what the grading scheme is because that is arbitrary and inconsistent from professor to professor.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:16 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:

And that will be the same answer at any T14 (or any school for that matter). You shouldn't be picking a school based on what the grading scheme is because that is arbitrary and inconsistent from professor to professor.

Actually don't some have a forced number of B-s, Bs, etc.? I remember Bruce Wayne bitching about how UVA grades versus others a few years back, but that could just be him bitching about everything UVA.

The King

Postby The King » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Depends on the professor. Never heard of a C or C+, though obviously people who receive those grades aren't going to talk about them. If I remember correctly Coughlin explicitly told our class that a C+ was only awarded if it was clear that you did not try at all, and that even B- were pretty rare for her. She has a reputation for being B+ heavy though. Even still, I get the feeling that if you try even somewhat and English is your first language, that it's pretty difficult to get below a B or B- at most.

but i might be totally wrong too!

The King

Postby The King » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:55 pm

whats an updog wrote:Depends on the professor. Never heard of a C or C+, though obviously people who receive those grades aren't going to talk about them. If I remember correctly Coughlin explicitly told our class that a C+ was only awarded if it was clear that you did not try at all, and that even B- were pretty rare for her. She has a reputation for being B+ heavy though. Even still, I get the feeling that if you try even somewhat and English is your first language, that it's pretty difficult to get below a B or B- at most.

no, coughlin is the opposite of a reputation for b+ heavy. she would typically give a few cs or C+s and a correspondingly higher number of A+s and As.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:58 pm

The King wrote:
5ky wrote:C level grades are relatively rare but not something to freak out about. Cohen gives multiple C level grades for each class, as does Coughlin (generally).

I saw a couple Fs. Maybe a D or two.

I looked back a few pages. Is this person trolling?

no? i mean obviously Ds and Fs are for people who skip the exam or don't write anything down or something. don't worry about it.

i would hazard to say that the odds of a person who takes to TLS to fret about getting a C is in no danger of getting a C. your neurosis simply won't allow you to write an exam as badly as you would need to in order to get a C.

i know it seems like everybody is super smart and tries really hard, but there are people out there that just don't care and prepare very little.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:03 am

5ky wrote:
whats an updog wrote:Depends on the professor. Never heard of a C or C+, though obviously people who receive those grades aren't going to talk about them. If I remember correctly Coughlin explicitly told our class that a C+ was only awarded if it was clear that you did not try at all, and that even B- were pretty rare for her. She has a reputation for being B+ heavy though. Even still, I get the feeling that if you try even somewhat and English is your first language, that it's pretty difficult to get below a B or B- at most.

no, coughlin is the opposite of a reputation for b+ heavy. she would typically give a few cs or C+s and a correspondingly higher number of A+s and As.

Huh, that's interesting because of what she told us during the review session iirc, but I don't really have anything other than anecdotal 1L stuff to go off of.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:02 pm

anyone on here familiar with forde-mazrui's grading distribution?

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:47 pm

monsterman wrote:anyone on here familiar with forde-mazrui's grading distribution?

I had a friend that got a cplus in his 1L class whichever one he teaches. so yeah. it does happen.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:58 pm

got my only b- in law school in that guy's class. No idea what I did wrong, i've done way less studying for other classes and still got a B+ or B. Whatever, I don't mean to freak you out, but I know one other person who got a B- in my class as well. Think of it as an opportunity for an A.
Last edited by anon sequitur on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 pm

yeah i can see him giving out some bad grades with a more arbitrary system. great guy but dammit if he isn't incoherent as hell a lot of the time

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri May 01, 2015 1:41 am

i recall from looking at his grade charts that his non-1L classes were very standard grade-wise. not sure about 1L classes, sometimes profs have a difference.

JMarie14

Postby JMarie14 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:59 am

As a committed 0L looking into living alone, I was curious on current students' opinions on living out in Stonefield Commons (2 miles away).

I'm coming from South Florida, and although I know Charlottesville is safe, I would just feel much more comfortable in a complex with restricted key entry and all the modern amenities for convenience. I am used to driving around 5 miles to school in a much bigger city than Charlottesville so I don't think traffic or the distance will be a huge issue for me.

I visited several similar places when I visited for ASW- including: Stonefield, Arden Place, The Reserve, Avemore.
If anyone has specific recommendations on any of these, I would be grateful for your advice/guidance.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Fri May 01, 2015 6:28 pm

5ky wrote:i recall from looking at his grade charts that his non-1L classes were very standard grade-wise. not sure about 1L classes, sometimes profs have a difference.

i wish there were some online record of the old grade charts/books somewhere. potentially help calm (worsen?) these nerves

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri May 01, 2015 11:02 pm

whats an updog wrote:
5ky wrote:i recall from looking at his grade charts that his non-1L classes were very standard grade-wise. not sure about 1L classes, sometimes profs have a difference.

i wish there were some online record of the old grade charts/books somewhere. potentially help calm (worsen?) these nerves

there differences are so minor except in extreme cases that it's really not worth worry about.

ironman467

Postby ironman467 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Real question. Christian's pizza or dumplings?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sat May 02, 2015 12:09 am

ironman467 wrote:Real question. Christian's pizza or dumplings?

dumps

chem

Postby chem » Sat May 02, 2015 4:15 pm

polkij333 wrote:

dumps

+1

If you do pizza, Dr. Hos

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat May 02, 2015 4:15 pm

chem wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

dumps

+1

If you do pizza, Dr. Hos

Where is that?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 pm

chem wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

dumps

+1

If you do pizza, Dr. Hos
Definitely dumps

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun May 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Real talk - my apartment got sprayed the other day (scheduled, I'm not disgusting), and was shooting the shit with the exterminator, and he told me straight up "Don't eat at Christian's".

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”