UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rhododactylos

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby rhododactylos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:44 am

How much do class offerings (in terms of professors and timing) change from year to year? Like how similar do people think the fall 2015 offerings will be to fall 2014?

(Yeah, I'm so done with this semester that I'm ready for the next one)

rhododactylos

Postby rhododactylos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:46 am

whats an updog wrote:I was at YMS Clothiers on the downtown mall and the owner said that another tailor on the mall had just passed away. Don't know if that's E's or not though.

The lady at Gus' tailoring is super nice too and that's on main street just past the bridge heading away from campus

The store sign still says E Tailor, but the receipt says Kim's Alterations so the store may be under new management. Either way, she does a great job and at about half the price of what I paid in DC.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am

North wrote:Why the fuck is the application deadline for a Fall 2015 externship so early. Lol, looks like I won't be doing one.

what's the deal with externships in a place like UVA, do you basically have to live in DC or wherever for the duration of the externship? how does that work with apartment leases etc?

telbo340

Postby telbo340 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Thoughts on attending UVA at full sticker (oos)?

North

Postby North » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:52 pm

telbo340 wrote:Thoughts on attending UVA at full sticker (oos)?

What are your other options

telbo340

Postby telbo340 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 pm

North wrote:

Vandy or UNC with about 30% scholarship.

swampman

Postby swampman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:03 pm

telbo340 wrote:
North wrote:

Vandy or UNC with about 30% scholarship.

UVA is definitely the best of those options, the job prospects are just not good enough at those schools to take on debt. At UVA you'll have a great chance of paying back the debt either through biglaw or public service loan forgiveness. A lot of people will tell you not going to law school is a better option than working those jobs while servicing 300k in debt, but that's a call you have to make.

North

Postby North » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 pm

How many times have you taken the LSAT and with what scores?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Ugh... I hate these fucking discussions.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 am

I wouldn't go to any law school at sticker. I'd weigh your options seriously before deciding that law school is what you want to do. Best case scenario, you get to pay $3k+ every month while doing a jerb you prob hate

Just

Postby Just » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:56 am

Advice for preparing for Choi's legal issues in corp finance? He hasn't been willing to talk anything about what to expect for the exam.

MC819

Postby MC819 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 pm

This may have been asked before, but any opinions on living at City Walk?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:30 pm

MC819 wrote:This may have been asked before, but any opinions on living at City Walk?

Never heard of it, though if your worried about location that seems fine. Maybe 15 minutes to get to school in "traffic."

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:16 pm

can anyone speak to taking one of those hallmarks of the distinguished advocacy type of classes if you're a not a very good public speaker and looking to improve?

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 pm

whats an updog wrote:can anyone speak to taking one of those hallmarks of the distinguished advocacy type of classes if you're a not a very good public speaker and looking to improve?

I'd take one of the classes with Shadel, rather than the ones taught by Sayler by himself or Sayler teaming of with Shadel. Sayler's okay, but he spends about half the class talking about theory and history of rhetoric. Shadel's classes are 90% practice, and she gives really good, concrete advice about bad habits people have.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:35 pm

citywalk location's not awesome, especially since you're paying a downtown price and it's really not downtown; but it probably beats the area around the law school, which sucks. 20 minutes in traffic is about right. amenities are fine if you're into that. lots of dogs around. finishes are fine, not really worth paying more for, and the walls/ceilings aren't very effective at eliminating noise, but they're no worse than the competition (flats, pavilion, grandmarc). external security is nonexistent; anyone can walk up to any gate and reach through to tap the buttons that unlock them. you can pm me if you have any more specific questions.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:16 am

anon sequitur wrote:
whats an updog wrote:can anyone speak to taking one of those hallmarks of the distinguished advocacy type of classes if you're a not a very good public speaker and looking to improve?

I'd take one of the classes with Shadel, rather than the ones taught by Sayler by himself or Sayler teaming of with Shadel. Sayler's okay, but he spends about half the class talking about theory and history of rhetoric. Shadel's classes are 90% practice, and she gives really good, concrete advice about bad habits people have.

thanks for that, i'll see if i can get a class where she teaches alone. what's the grading like? based on quality of speech, improvement, effort, combo?

North

Postby North » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:26 am

whats an updog wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

thanks for that, i'll see if i can get a class where she teaches alone. what's the grading like? based on quality of speech, improvement, effort, combo?

I did Oral Presentations In & Outside the Courtroom with both a while back and it was great. I get crazy nervous during and before public speaking, and it was a fantastic class for working on that. The value of their classes is not in the lecture or the readings (I didn't even buy the books), but in getting up in front of a bunch of people and practicing speaking, and practicing preparing for speaking, every week for a semester.

If you don't miss classes where you're supposed to speak, the grading is based on you getting a B+. Highly recommended.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 am

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for - thanks.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:47 pm

rhododactylos wrote:How much do class offerings (in terms of professors and timing) change from year to year? Like how similar do people think the fall 2015 offerings will be to fall 2014?

(Yeah, I'm so done with this semester that I'm ready for the next one)

I'd say 80%+ of the topics are consistent from fall to fall/spring to spring (so like...Fed Courts will probably be offered in the fall) but timing is totally different and only a few professors consistently teach a particular course every fall or spring (e.g. nelson legislation)

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Thinking about graduation plans. Any thoughts on skipping the main event on the lawn and just doing the law school ceremony? I'm not too interested in the speaker, and I feel like I have nothing to do with the main grounds. Would I be missing anything significant?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm

you'd be missing absolutely nothing. it's a huge waste of time even if main grounds means a lot to you and the lawn isn't a construction zone.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 pm

anon sequitur wrote:Thinking about graduation plans. Any thoughts on skipping the main event on the lawn and just doing the law school ceremony? I'm not too interested in the speaker, and I feel like I have nothing to do with the main grounds. Would I be missing anything significant?

That's what I did, it was way more relaxing

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:38 pm

5ky wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:Thinking about graduation plans. Any thoughts on skipping the main event on the lawn and just doing the law school ceremony? I'm not too interested in the speaker, and I feel like I have nothing to do with the main grounds. Would I be missing anything significant?

That's what I did, it was way more relaxing

Yeah my understanding was that the lawn was really only signifiant for undergraduates, because they walk down it on their first day or something and it complete the circle.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 am

nah, no first day ceremony to symbolically close out. they're just all drunk and happen to end up at the rotunda at the same time. with balloons.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”