UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:55 am

First Offense wrote:
McGruff wrote:So obviously VJIL is crazy but does anyone have a sense of what the workload at the other journals is like (specifically tax and jolt)? Also do recruiters look at the kind of journal and think it actually reflects an interest of yours, or is it just "oh I see you're on [some secondary journal], how have you liked that?" Crim says it has a low workload which sounds nice but I wouldn't want to have to try and square an apparent interest in crim with an actual interest in doing corp.

Doesn't matter. Vjolt is pretty low impact from what I hear. Don't know about tax.

VJIL and Law and Politics are the two "must avoid" - don't know much about the others.
I would not call VJIL a "must avoid" unless you are against writing a note (which you can easily adapt from a class paper). My judge also was aware of VJIL (and the relative preftige of other journals) in comparison to VLR.

As to firms and other employers, I doubt it would matter much unless you want to signal interests in a certain practice area (e.g. if you are interested in tax, do the tax journal; if your resume screams public service but you want to do corporate, do VLBR; etc.)

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:
McGruff wrote:So obviously VJIL is crazy but does anyone have a sense of what the workload at the other journals is like (specifically tax and jolt)? Also do recruiters look at the kind of journal and think it actually reflects an interest of yours, or is it just "oh I see you're on [some secondary journal], how have you liked that?" Crim says it has a low workload which sounds nice but I wouldn't want to have to try and square an apparent interest in crim with an actual interest in doing corp.

Doesn't matter. Vjolt is pretty low impact from what I hear. Don't know about tax.

VJIL and Law and Politics are the two "must avoid" - don't know much about the others.
I would not call VJIL a "must avoid" unless you are against writing a note (which you can easily adapt from a class paper). My judge also was aware of VJIL (and the relative preftige of other journals) in comparison to VLR.

As to firms and other employers, I doubt it would matter much unless you want to signal interests in a certain practice area (e.g. if you are interested in tax, do the tax journal; if your resume screams public service but you want to do corporate, do VLBR; etc.)

Outed as a VJIL nerd.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:22 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
First Offense wrote:

yeah I mean I would do vlbr but I didn't get on so I'm picking btwn tax/jolt/vjil/crim, but none of those sound very transactional or financial which is what I would want to signal... I guess tax? they all seem to publish roughly the same (variable) amount per year so I guess I'll just flip through article titles and see which sound most interesting.. thanks!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:32 pm

do you get to try out for all journals at the same time now?

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:43 pm

5ky wrote:do you get to try out for all journals at the same time now?

No they ask you to pick 2 (I got 0 bites shooting for 2 journals that people say are easy) but then there's this sloppy seconds round that's pretty forgiving, at least if my experience is representative...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:51 pm

McGruff wrote:

No they ask you to pick 2 (I got 0 bites shooting for 2 journals that people say are easy) but then there's this sloppy seconds round that's pretty forgiving, at least if my experience is representative...

oh right, same as before then. do vjolt. i think it's the least amount of work and there can be pretty heavy overlap between corp work and technology. it shouldn't be hard to all to explain your interest in it while wanting to do corp work.

McGruff

Postby McGruff » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:14 pm

5ky wrote:
McGruff wrote:

oh right, same as before then. do vjolt. i think it's the least amount of work and there can be pretty heavy overlap between corp work and technology. it shouldn't be hard to all to explain your interest in it while wanting to do corp work.

perfect, between that and the fact that only vjolt had interesting sounding article titles, it's settled. thanks

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:04 am

does jlp require a note and 3L cite checks too? i'm still waiting for someone to sign on and say the listed requirements for vjil are flame...can't believe any journal can get away with that

mccllln2

Postby mccllln2 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:03 pm

0L here, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I should live. I'm looking for a 1BR apartment, ideally part of a large complex where other students live. Willing to pay up to 1K if necessary but less would be ideal. I'm doing as much research as I can online but I could really use some advice and/or a basic overview of my options. Thanks in advance!

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 pm

mccllln2 wrote:0L here, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I should live. I'm looking for a 1BR apartment, ideally part of a large complex where other students live. Willing to pay up to 1K if necessary but less would be ideal. I'm doing as much research as I can online but I could really use some advice and/or a basic overview of my options. Thanks in advance!

Ivy and Pavilion are the two main options if you want to live with other students. Pavilion is nicer and everyone's in the same building, but you'll smash that $1k budget for a 1BR. Ivy is a more spread-out complex, but in line with your budget and still generally nice.

alg123

Postby alg123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Does anyone have outlines for Securities Regulation with Quinn Curtis or Mergers & Acquisitions with Albert Choi? I am willing to trade outlines and I would greatly appreciate it. PM me.

teter

Postby teter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 pm

I have been a lurker for a while, but thought it was time to make a post to quash, or legitimize, my concerns. I see that UVA is--in the words of one poster--being "assaulted" on the TLS employment forum for purportedly weak employment statistics relative to other T-14s. Can current students at UVA (not trolls from Penn or Duke) speak about how they feel about the employment outcomes at UVA? Are the relatively weaker big law numbers a product of self-selection or of the institution? What about the school funded positions?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:58 pm

teter wrote:I have been a lurker for a while, but thought it was time to make a post to quash, or legitimize, my concerns. I see that UVA is--in the words of one poster--being "assaulted" on the TLS employment forum for purportedly weak employment statistics relative to other T-14s. Can current students at UVA (not trolls from Penn or Duke) speak about how they feel about the employment outcomes at UVA? Are the relatively weaker big law numbers a product of self-selection or of the institution? What about the school funded positions?

Self selection is hard/impossible to quantify. I know a few people that didn't do OGI at all, or did it very half-heartedly, but I can't say how many. The other thing is UVA targets a lot of secondary markets, so the 500+ number is generally lower (especially since I think only one firm in DC would qualify, and that's where most UVA students go). I do know some people that struck out around median - I also know quite a few below median that landed market paying gigs. The numbers are what they are, but I generally found that most people found jobs that were hustling for them.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am

at an objective level, self selection isn't the first bias i'd look to. that data is from the graduating class of 2014? uva has downsized its class by 14% since then (360 -> 310). granting that there won't be a perfect correlation between the people that now don't get in and the people that would have struck out, that still very likely subsumes any employment gap in duke's favor (211 -> 221) and mitigates the one in penn's favor (255 -> 250). i'd expect uva's numbers to jump from where they are now to where they'll be in 3 years, and not because uva's doing anything better besides better calibrating their supply to the demand.

at a subjective level, nobody's going to have a very good answer. if you have top grades at any of these schools, someone will take you. if you don't, or if you gun for unicorn jobs and it backfires come OGI, your ability to turn it around comes down to your ability to market yourself and network and catch a break. i've heard no reason to think that duke or penn do a better job preparing you for that than uva does.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Another 0L housing question. I'm thinking about living with a couple of buddies from college who are enrolled in another graduate program. They'd make good roommates, the only thing is that they are primarily interested in living downtown, near the Corner or somewhere closer to main Grounds rather than the Law School. Looking at Google maps, it appears that it's only a 5 minute drive from main Grounds to the Law School, which I'm fine with since I have a car.

Would I be missing out on anything by not living in Ivy/Pavilion/Jeffersonian/somewhere right next to the Law School as a 1L? Any downsides to having to drive to the Law School daily (i.e. horrible traffic, horrible parking, really expensive parking pass, etc.)? Would you advise against not living in one of the closer apartment complexes during 1L year? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any relevant considerations.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:20 pm

absolutely live with your friends. traffic is nothing, you're looking at a ~10-15min commute during "rush hour" and the parking pass isn't unreasonable (you can find the cost of the two options online, i think it's D2 or blue pass). you're still going to make the LS events you really want to make. the corner / west main / downtown are way better places to live than north grounds objectively, so this is really a win-win-win.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:09 pm

sprezz wrote:absolutely live with your friends. traffic is nothing, you're looking at a ~10-15min commute during "rush hour" and the parking pass isn't unreasonable (you can find the cost of the two options online, i think it's D2 or blue pass). you're still going to make the LS events you really want to make. the corner / west main / downtown are way better places to live than north grounds objectively, so this is really a win-win-win.

LadyMary

Postby LadyMary » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:07 pm

Anyone who took corporations with Mahoney mind PMing me?

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Can anyone recommend me a tailor in town?

North

Postby North » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Gooner91 wrote:Can anyone recommend me a tailor in town?

I use "E Tailor" on the downtown mall. I've only had them do hems so far,so nothing too complex, but it's always been good, reasonably priced work.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:46 pm

I was at YMS Clothiers on the downtown mall and the owner said that another tailor on the mall had just passed away. Don't know if that's E's or not though.

The lady at Gus' tailoring is super nice too and that's on main street just past the bridge heading away from campus

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:23 pm

whats an updog wrote:I was at YMS Clothiers on the downtown mall and the owner said that another tailor on the mall had just passed away. Don't know if that's E's or not though.

The lady at Gus' tailoring is super nice too and that's on main street just past the bridge heading away from campus
The lady who does tailoring at Brooks Brothers does tailoring on the side for non-Brooks Brothers apparel as well. She is phenomenal.

The King

Postby The King » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:15 pm

The King wrote:Is UVA a good option for generic NYC Biglaw? How deep in the class will NYC firms go?

Someone can double check, but I'd estimate a little under median would still leave you in the ballpark.

North

Postby North » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Why the fuck is the application deadline for a Fall 2015 externship so early. Lol, looks like I won't be doing one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”