UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xylocarp

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby xylocarp » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Has anyone ever lived in any of these apartments?
- Arden Place
- Reserve at Belvedere
- Stonefield Commons
- City Walk
- Walker Square Condos (the one I'm looking at is managed by Real Property Inc.)

If so, I'd love to hear about your experience there! Feel free to PM

skers

Postby skers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:07 pm

xylocarp wrote:Has anyone ever lived in any of these apartments?
- Arden Place
- Reserve at Belvedere
- Stonefield Commons
- City Walk
- Walker Square Condos (the one I'm looking at is managed by Real Property Inc.)

Didn't live at the Reserve at Belvedere and Stonefield Commons but have family that did. Both places are really nice and would totally recommend either. You can PM me if you have specific q's.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:54 pm

The King wrote:I will probably be attending UVA law next fall and I am interested in working at a (big/mid) law firm in southern florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Palm Beach County) after graduation. I have ties to the area. How difficult is this to get? Where do I need to place in the class?

It should be doable if you can show a serious interest in returning there. Definitely do the On Tour Interview Program that UVA participates in where you can line up interviews at the offices of several Miami firms. That's outside of OGI and gets you in the offices of firms specifically looking for people from the schools that participate in the program. Not sure where in the class you need to be, but definitely don't need to be at the top. Median maybe? Don't quote me on that though.

That said, I'm not really bullish on the Florida market in general and the big law firms there are mostly satellite offices of the large firms. I think it's best to keep your options open and plan to interview other places as well since you might find you like them better (I'm a South Florida native who decided I liked a different state and market much better). But if you're really committed to Florida, you should be able to get back there.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 am

- Arden Place
- Reserve at Belvedere
- Stonefield Commons
- City Walk

I looked at apartments at the first four recently. Arden, City Walk and Belvedere are all really nice. The location of Arden kind of sucks in my opinion though, the traffic on Seminole Trail can get pretty shitty, and a few reviews I have seen online said that the complex next to it has some issues. But it is pretty close to trader joes and whole foods. City Walk in my opinion has the best location, it is right next door to Beer Run and in walking distance to the downtown mall. There are a few other nice apartment complexes around the same price range as the ones you listed, I am not sure if you have seen them or not.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:14 am

Gooner91 wrote:
- Arden Place
- Reserve at Belvedere
- Stonefield Commons
- City Walk

I looked at apartments at the first four recently. Arden, City Walk and Belvedere are all really nice. The location of Arden kind of sucks in my opinion though, the traffic on Seminole Trail can get pretty shitty, and a few reviews I have seen online said that the complex next to it has some issues. But it is pretty close to trader joes and whole foods. City Walk in my opinion has the best location, it is right next door to Beer Run and in walking distance to the downtown mall. There are a few other nice apartment complexes around the same price range as the ones you listed, I am not sure if you have seen them or not.

Which are you thinking of? I've seen a lot haha

ETA: and thanks for the input!

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 pm

in terms of telling 1L summer employers when i'd like to end an internship, what's a good time to be back in time to be prepared for OGI? any reason to be back earlier than the weekend before it starts?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 pm

whats an updog wrote:in terms of telling 1L summer employers when i'd like to end an internship, what's a good time to be back in time to be prepared for OGI? any reason to be back earlier than the weekend before it starts?

No. I think career services hosts a welcome back event like that Saturday but it's not really crucial information and you can always email them directly if you're concerned. If interviews start on a Monday, being back that weekend would be fine.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:15 am

xylocarp wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
- Arden Place
- Reserve at Belvedere
- Stonefield Commons
- City Walk

Which are you thinking of? I've seen a lot haha

ETA: and thanks for the input!

I also looked at Norcross Station, which is worth checking out, my wife said the manager there was a bit nosy though.

We also looked at Stonecreek Village, which is a little further out but absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend you check that one out it may have been slightly pricier than some of the others though.

Also looked at Arlington Crossing and Avemore but I don't particularly remember them. I think I didn't like the kitchen at Avemore but otherwise it wasn't bad and don't remember Arlington at all.
I don't know if you are in Cville to check any of them out in person but if you are not feel free to PM me with any questions about them.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am

i've spent a lot of time in arden and city walk. i wouldn't live in arden because the location sucks. you're isolated on 29 and the only things that are a convenient walk are a putt putt place, a closed movie theater, a little caesar's, and the ACAC. but you do get a bit more space for your money there and the places are fine. and obviously they don't expect you to walk places but rather to use your car. stonefield's more defensible because there are plausibly things to do across the parking lot, but to me spending time in charlottesville living like you're in a generic suburb of nova or whatever is missing out. if that's your comfort zone though, obviously do you.

walker square is a much better location than city walk. both right on the train tracks, but walker square puts you near a lot more quality food and drink along west main. in city walk, you're just by beer run (which gets old) and firefly (you'll run out of quarters eventually). you're also out of range for some of the delivery options that primarily serve the corner/rugby area in city walk, but all of them make it to walker square. walker square is closer to the west end of the mall on foot than city walk is to the east end, so proximity to downtown is even or slightly leans walker square. and you can walk to the corner from walker square but not citywalk. citywalk does have a ton of puppies running around which is 180 but it also reeks of skunk about every other week and their leasing office appears to be either a tad shady or incompetent based on my friends' dealings with them. unfortunately the same is true of RPI (the leasing office thing, not animals).

the build quality in all those places that popped up over the last several years (city walk, walker square, flats at west village, grandmarc, law school pavilion..) is pretty much the same: thin walls and a lot of noise transfer; cheap and unremarkable but inoffensive looking hardware, etc. this model kills it in college towns because they reliably put their floor plans online and make things sound nice, but they're nothing special and usually charging a 10-20% premium compared to the locally run stuff. personally, i'd touch base with woodard or MSC, along with the norcross people and these guys, before going with one of the newer builds.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks for the insight! I'm looking at a few of the places you mentioned too, but availability is trickier than it is with the newer places so I'm mostly just waiting for those.

bbutler92

Postby bbutler92 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Can anyone ellaborate more on the Law and Business Program? I'm currently a double major in Corporate Finance and Law and am really interested in the program itself. I've looked on the website but could anyone attest to the program (teachers, classes, employer's perspective on the program)?

Also how are the ties into Charlotte for UVA grads? I'm interested in working at Alston and Bird and have some minor ties but I wondering how UVA grads did in that market.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:33 pm

bbutler92 wrote:Can anyone ellaborate more on the Law and Business Program? I'm currently a double major in Corporate Finance and Law and am really interested in the program itself. I've looked on the website but could anyone attest to the program (teachers, classes, employer's perspective on the program)?

Also how are the ties into Charlotte for UVA grads? I'm interested in working at Alston and Bird and have some minor ties but I wondering how UVA grads did in that market.

(1) L&B is basically a marketing gimmick to sell to 0Ls deciding between law schools, and later, for 1Ls to sell to firms as a sign that you are committed to doing corporate (not in the transactional v litigation sense, corporate in the not public interest sense) work.

(2) You really should not, at this point, be thinking about specific firms you want to work for. Type of work/location is serving you should be considering, but unless you know someone at a particular firm or a firm does something incredibly unique that you think you want to do, then I would not start falling in love with firms yet.

(3) With ties from Charlotte then you will certainly be in the running comming from UVA. It is a smaller market though, so cast a wide net.

bbutler92

Postby bbutler92 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Thank you so much for your help because that helps out a lot. And yes I'm also looking at Atlanta or D.C. but Charlotte is my first choice. I definitely want to stay in the south after I graduate so I figured Charlotte or Atlanta would be the best markets available.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:03 pm

As noted, the Law & BUsiness program is pure sham. There is no difference between "Corporations" regular and "Corporations (Law and Business)." Or the same for any of the other Law and Business classes.

FlamingDragon

Postby FlamingDragon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:34 pm

bbutler92 wrote:Can anyone ellaborate more on the Law and Business Program? I'm currently a double major in Corporate Finance and Law and am really interested in the program itself. I've looked on the website but could anyone attest to the program (teachers, classes, employer's perspective on the program)?

Haha, ok.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:08 am

5ky wrote:As noted, the Law & BUsiness program is pure sham. There is no difference between "Corporations" regular and "Corporations (Law and Business)." Or the same for any of the other Law and Business classes.
100% true. I'll just add that there are some short courses that are L&B that go deeper into some financial items, but nothing a friend couldn't explain in a few minutes. You should be picking classes based more on professors you like or have heard good things about. For most "L&B" courses you'll have a choice between at least two profs (one L&B and one not). The only course I am aware of that has no non-L&B section is the M&A class. We haven't really covered anything that requires a finance background or the finance/accounting course at the school. A lot of non-L&B people are in the class anyways.

Un Chien Andalou

Postby Un Chien Andalou » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Is anyone kind enough to share an outline for Geis' Corporations class? He's visiting at my school this year. I would greatly appreciate any help.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

1Ls: have all journal invites gone out yet today? if yes, ill go cry now

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Environmental and International and at least a couple others are out. I would imagine that they would send you something saying they were not extending an offer though so I wouldn't cry just yet.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Social policy, business, sports and entertainment, and tax are also all out as well.

North

Postby North » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 pm

whats an updog wrote:Environmental and International and at least a couple others are out. I would imagine that they would send you something saying they were not extending an offer though so I wouldn't cry just yet.

I never got a rejection e-mail from the one of my two picks that didn't want me. I think it was the Business journal.

Also, to ease some minds, it seems like everyone who wants a journal gets a journal even if they don't get one after the first round of selection. So don't freak out too much if you don't find anything in your mailbox. Like, I'll probably be happy to have a couple stragglers added to my journal after the first round gets finalized.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:38 am

+1 to north's point about second round. Don't stress.

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:53 pm

anyone know how much extra work the international journal is? it's more in line with my interests, but i'm not trying to be a hero

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:27 pm

whats an updog wrote:anyone know how much extra work the international journal is? it's more in line with my interests, but i'm not trying to be a hero
Probably more work than any journal except the law review. You have 1 cite check as a 1L (usually right after spring exams), 3 as a 2L (October, January, May), and 3 as a 3L (October, January, May). There is also a note requirement to remain on the journal. Lastly, if you go for managing board (you can get a position as a 1L/rising 2L), you will have much more work than the above (but that's any managing board position on any journal).

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:54 pm

don't be a hero!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”