UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Legal_Padawan

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Legal_Padawan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:20 pm

doctorofoz wrote:Not sure if anyone has asked before, as I could not find through searching this forum.

How competitive is it to get into Professor Deirdre Enright's Innocence Project Clinic? I am very intrigued by their work...

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's been particularly competitive in the past. My impression is that if you demonstrate commitment (by working hard as a VIPS volunteer during 1L) then you should be able to get on. Of course, with all of the craze surrounding Serial I'm not sure if that will continue to be the case moving forward.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Do paper classes/seminars also have a curve based on the overall class GPA rather than a set 3.3? Tryna beat this curve.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:44 pm

okaygo wrote:Do paper classes/seminars also have a curve based on the overall class GPA rather than a set 3.3? Tryna beat this curve.

I haven't heard that paper classes/seminars would be different than exam/lecture classes. Remember though that the overall class GPA would have to be above 3.3 for this to even matter, and I believe it is still up to the professor's discretion

esq

Postby esq » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:54 pm

I felt like professors used a lot more discretion in seminar/paper classes and tended to give out better grades. From what I understood, under 10 and it was up to them.

Edit: Though the amount of material assigned in most of my seminars, when considering timeframe that they had, was usually comparatively hellish to exam classes.

jj2014

Postby jj2014 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:38 pm

How common is it for UVA students to get paid internships during the summer?

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

UVA lists COL at around $16,500. How generous is that, and how cheaply could a single person get by if they were looking to keep costs to a minimum (within reason)?

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

esq wrote:I felt like professors used a lot more discretion in seminar/paper classes and tended to give out better grades. From what I understood, under 10 and it was up to them.

Edit: Though the amount of material assigned in most of my seminars, when considering timeframe that they had, was usually comparatively hellish to exam classes.

I actually have a fairly large seminar (I'm a 1L so I have nothing to compare it to), but I would say that there are approximately 20 people in the class. But it is good to hear that professors for paper classes may be a bit more discretionary. This class has actually been really light. Just one paper due at the end of the semester.

jj2014 wrote:How common is it for UVA students to get paid internships during the summer?

Common. Everyone I know that wanted a paid 1L position has one. Plenty of people choose to do PI or judicial internships though. And RE: public interest work, our public interest organization offers the opportunity to apply for funding through the school for an unpaid/low paying summer position.

Lightworks wrote:UVA lists COL at around $16,500. How generous is that, and how cheaply could a single person get by if they were looking to keep costs to a minimum (within reason)?

Plenty.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Kind of similar to an earlier poster--but I'm in a class with 9 people out of a possible 90. A bunch of people either didn't sign up for the course or dropped after the first day. Will the class still be curved? Not a paper course, fwiw

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I believe the whole "less than x number of students = no curve" rule doesn't exist anymore.

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:33 am

Some may protest that I am posting in the wrong thread, but I have to ask the current students: What is going on with UVA's admissions this year? Any insight into their scholarship strategy? Are they really out of money?

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:32 am

They do genuinely seem to be out of money. As for admissions strategy, I have no idea. Giving out Dillards to people at the LSAT median doesn't seem to make a lick of sense.

uvheylaw

Postby uvheylaw » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:54 am

Anyone know when clinic applications for next year get posted/are usually due? Particularly the prosecution clinic?

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Also, does anyone know how competitive the Prosecution Clinic is?

Lawstud$5

Postby Lawstud$5 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Would any current UVA students have any input regarding attending @ sticker price?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Lawstud$5 wrote:Would any current UVA students have any input regarding attending @ sticker price?

I wouldn't go to any law school at sticker.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:07 pm

5ky wrote:
Lawstud$5 wrote:Would any current UVA students have any input regarding attending @ sticker price?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:10 pm

5ky wrote:

I would echo this. If you can get into UVA at sticker, you'd likely get money from the lower T14s and a lot of money from T30 schools. Employment prospects between MVPB and DCNG lately don't differ that much with respect to firms.

Also, full transparency. I'm saying this hypocritically since I'm at sticker.

uvheylaw

Postby uvheylaw » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:39 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
5ky wrote:

I would echo this. If you can get into UVA at sticker, you'd likely get money from the lower T14s and a lot of money from T30 schools. Employment prospects between MVPB and DCNG lately don't differ that much with respect to firms.

I'm sticker and id do it again IF I didn't have other t14 $ options, which I didn't. I mean going here over a NY or Chi t14 is like getting a $10K a year scholarship itself. But I also got the job I wanted, so there is that

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 pm

uvheylaw wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
5ky wrote:

I'm sticker and id do it again IF I didn't have other t14 $ options, which I didn't. I mean going here over a NY or Chi t14 is like getting a $10K a year scholarship itself. But I also got the job I wanted, so there is that
I should have been clearer. If you have reasons to be at UVA specifically, that should factor into your decision. But if your decision is just to go to law school, you should account for money first. My advice is hypocritical only because I had a reason to want to be at UVA over other law schools and tuition had nothing to do with it.

Legen..waitforit

Postby Legen..waitforit » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:14 am

I'd go at sticker. Employment prospects are worth it in my opinion. If you want a good private sector job that pays 100K+, you need to be above median, grade-wise and should to be able to carry a 20 minute conversation. Being above median is not difficult if (1) you are of average intelligence and (2) you work HARD. Being able to hold a conversation can be learned (in most cases). If you want a damn good public sector job (DOJ), (1) you need to work harder, (2) in many cases, smarter and (3) have a great pubilc-sector resume. If you want any public sector job/any legal job that requires a JD, you need to have a heartbeat as UVA will literally give you one with your diploma.

Endnotes:
-Also, there are a lot of smart people at UVA. Getting good grades requires brain (not that kind, you pervert) and work ethic.
-I have gone through the OGI process, am of average intelligence, paying sticker and will be "summering" at a law firm.
-If, as a 1L, you find yourself in the top 15% of the class, ignore everything I have just said. You're good.
-I have just saved you a shit ton time with of UVA career counseling office.

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Legen..waitforit wrote:I'd go at sticker. Employment prospects are worth it in my opinion. If you want a good private sector job that pays 100K+, you need to be above median, grade-wise and should to be able to carry a 20 minute conversation. Being above median is not difficult if (1) you are of average intelligence and (2) you work HARD. Being able to hold a conversation can be learned (in most cases). If you want a damn good public sector job (DOJ), (1) you need to work harder, (2) in many cases, smarter and (3) have a great pubilc-sector resume. If you want any public sector job/any legal job that requires a JD, you need to have a heartbeat as UVA will literally give you one with your diploma.

Endnotes:
-Also, there are a lot of smart people at UVA. Getting good grades requires brain (not that kind, you pervert) and work ethic.
-I have gone through the OGI process, am of average intelligence, paying sticker and will be "summering" at a law firm.
-If, as a 1L, you find yourself in the top 15% of the class, ignore everything I have just said. You're good.
-I have just saved you a shit ton time with of UVA career counseling office.

What can one expect if one is bellow median (let us say at the bottom 60% and the bottom 80%)? What kind of jobs are available for these individuals? Is a decent job (around 70K) in private practice still possible under these circumstances? If you end up with a school funded position, is there room to move up, to get a decent paying job either in public interest (to the extent that they are decent paying) or one in private practice?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:18 pm

you are not going to get a "decent" private sector job at 70k, those don't really exist. take some time to really research outcomes from law school and decide if it's really something that you want to do. half of the time the "best" case scenario for people at sticker is ending up with a big law job they hate and have to pay back 250k.

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:13 pm

5ky wrote:you are not going to get a "decent" private sector job at 70k, those don't really exist. take some time to really research outcomes from law school and decide if it's really something that you want to do. half of the time the "best" case scenario for people at sticker is ending up with a big law job they hate and have to pay back 250k.

What if the person will graduate with little or no debt (due to a very generous scholarship and family contribution)?

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:07 pm

^^^ That's not "paying sticker".

If you can come out with <$100K debt, of course UVA is a great choice. At sticker? I probably wouldn't. Even if it was your only T14 option, I think you're better off taking big money from a T30.

The King

Postby The King » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Last edited by The King on Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”