UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA 2L taking questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 20, 2010 6:39 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

thesealocust wrote:
extragnarls wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Employers won't give two shits as long as it's not Hot_Gurl_Slayer_von_Weedsmoker@pimpmyemail.com or something.

Not cool putting my email out there like that.

Ladies, if you're looking for a good time...

Please post the 1-900 number as well.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 20, 2010 7:09 pm

D Brooks wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Do you all have your UVa emails on your resumes? Or do you have your personal (firstname.lastname@gmail.com) emails listed?

UVA email, no question about it. Exponentially more professional.

Do you have yours formatted to the firstnamelastname@email.virginia.edu setting? Or is is still jd3f@virginia.edu or whatever?

i use the virginia.edu. Would be amazing if we could customize names under that domain. Would be even more awesome if there was a law.virginia.edu domain.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Thu May 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Do you all have your UVa emails on your resumes? Or do you have your personal (firstname.lastname@gmail.com) emails listed?

UVA email, no question about it. Exponentially more professional.

Do you have yours formatted to the firstnamelastname@email.virginia.edu setting? Or is is still jd3f@virginia.edu or whatever?

i use the virginia.edu. Would be amazing if we could customize names under that domain. Would be even more awesome if there was a law.virginia.edu domain.

Speaking of emails, anyone know when we 0Ls get ours? I'd like to make my relationship with UVA "facebook official".

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 pm

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:38 pm

YCrevolution wrote:oneforship was actually able to create up to three @virginia.edu aliases. A few weeks ago, I could create (and did create) up to seven @virginia.edu aliases.

What?!? Where is this info???

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 20, 2010 7:41 pm

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 pm

oneforship wrote:
oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:oneforship knows about how to do a mylastname@virginia.edu email address.

I waded through the instructions here:

http://itc.virginia.edu/email/ams/alias ... as-request

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu May 20, 2010 7:43 pm

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:49 pm

YCrevolution wrote:oneforship knows about how to do a mylastname@virginia.edu email address.

I waded through the instructions here:

http://itc.virginia.edu/email/ams/alias ... as-request[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Further related info: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83906&start=2775

Argh, no luck. Same problem as Doritos. Oneforship pulled some sort of magic.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Seems odd. My alias@virginia.edu is still receiving mail, so I know it's working.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu May 20, 2010 9:10 pm

oneforship wrote:Seems odd. My alias@virginia.edu is still receiving mail, so I know it's working.

I tried enough times that IT sent me a polite email saying it will never work.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
oneforship wrote:Seems odd. My alias@virginia.edu is still receiving mail, so I know it's working.

I tried enough times that IT sent me a polite email saying it will never work.

I must have beat the system and now I'm grandfathered in.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 21, 2010 1:29 am

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon May 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Do people vacation during spring break? Or are most of the 1Ls on-campus catching up/reading/studying and going out in Cville?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 25, 2010 12:07 am

D Brooks wrote:Do people vacation during spring break? Or are most of the 1Ls on-campus catching up/reading/studying and going out in Cville?

I did an Alternative Spring Break, which is basically a group trip to a city to volunteer for a legal public service organization there. This year they did trips to Richmond, North Carolina, Kentucky, and New Orleans (and I think also a group that stayed in C-ville and did a week of work there). There will hopefully be even more options next year.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 25, 2010 12:13 am

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 25, 2010 12:29 am

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Do people vacation during spring break? Or are most of the 1Ls on-campus catching up/reading/studying and going out in Cville?

There's usually a journal tryout weekend during the first weekend of spring break (that runs through noon on Monday).

Is it a specific secondary that always does this or just a random journal that decides it's there year to do it then?

Also, I thought all journal write-ons were during the LR write-on period and those who just missed making LR get their pick or whatever of a secondary.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 am

I suppose I should know the answer to this, but is the University of Virginia Law School accredited by the American Bar Association and a member in good standing of the Association of American Law Schools?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 25, 2010 12:39 am

D Brooks wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

There's usually a journal tryout weekend during the first weekend of spring break (that runs through noon on Monday).

Is it a specific secondary that always does this or just a random journal that decides it's there year to do it then?

Also, I thought all journal write-ons were during the LR write-on period and those who just missed making LR get their pick or whatever of a secondary.

1) He was talking about the LR write-on period. It's called the "uniform journal tryout". One single tryout for LR and all secondary journals. They offer it on two different weekends so you can choose which you want to do; you do one or the other, but it's the exact same tryout either way.

2) You get to bid for two secondary journals, which you'll be invited onto if you do well enough. You'll find out about this well before you find out about LR. If you get LR, you'll get to quit the secondary journal (or stay on and do it and LR both if you're masochistic).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 25, 2010 12:43 am

BlueCivic wrote:I suppose I should know the answer to this, but is the University of Virginia Law School accredited by the American Bar Association and a member in good standing of the Association of American Law Schools?

Yes, of course. Links to the ABA and AALS member lists:

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/approvedlawschools/alpha.html

--LinkRemoved--

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 am

vanwinkle wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

1) He was talking about the LR write-on period. It's called the "uniform journal tryout". One single tryout for LR and all secondary journals. They offer it on two different weekends so you can choose which you want to do; you do one or the other, but it's the exact same tryout either way.

2) You get to bid for two secondary journals, which you'll be invited onto if you do well enough. You'll find out about this well before you find out about LR. If you get LR, you'll get to quit the secondary journal (or stay on and do it and LR both if you're masochistic).

Thanks for the info. Do most people tryout during the spring break session then? It's seems like that'd be the less stressful of the two times they offer it.

Also, when are you all getting grades back?

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

vanwinkle is teh purple!

consensus on Macs? im tired of my lenovo and want a mac desparately...im just a tad worried about compatibility for software at UVA. can any knowledgeable current students make my fears go away

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 25, 2010 11:36 pm

dgouzoul wrote:vanwinkle is teh purple!

:mrgreen:

dgouzoul wrote:consensus on Macs? im tired of my lenovo and want a mac desparately...im just a tad worried about compatibility for software at UVA. can any knowledgeable current students make my fears go away

I've been extremely happy with my 13" MBP. It's stable, reliable, well-built, and because I bought it from UVA, I get a three-year warranty with instant loaners if anything happens. That gives me comfort that I can easily get a backup laptop if it dies right before finals (though that hasn't happened and I doubt it will, this thing is solid).

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue May 25, 2010 11:37 pm

dgouzoul wrote:vanwinkle is teh purple!

consensus on Macs? im tired of my lenovo and want a mac desparately...im just a tad worried about compatibility for software at UVA. can any knowledgeable current students make my fears go away

pretty sure vanwinkle uses a mac.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”