UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:48 pm

lawhoo16 wrote:I just want to join the chorus of people advising to never ever EVER take a class from Stone. Complete joke. Worst professor I've ever had. He's a huge donor, which is likely why he got to teach. Don't underestimate the power of donors, so it's possible he'll be back in the future. If that happens, stay away.

So what's the story here? That he was late with grades?

User avatar
SweetTort
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby SweetTort » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 pm

To the students in this thread, would you have taken a Dillard scholarship or Harvard, and why?

lookingin
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby lookingin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 pm

North wrote:
lawhoo16 wrote:I just want to join the chorus of people advising to never ever EVER take a class from Stone. Complete joke. Worst professor I've ever had. He's a huge donor, which is likely why he got to teach. Don't underestimate the power of donors, so it's possible he'll be back in the future. If that happens, stay away.

So what's the story here? That he was late with grades?


The course evaluations are juicy.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:18 pm

lookingin wrote:
The course evaluations are juicy.


Wow, they are. Worth a read. Would quote them here if it wouldn't get around. TL;DR: he told stories all semester, never really taught anything. Funny thing is, numerically the ratings are not really that low, it's just the comments that are harsh.

lawhoo16
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby lawhoo16 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm

North wrote:
lawhoo16 wrote:I just want to join the chorus of people advising to never ever EVER take a class from Stone. Complete joke. Worst professor I've ever had. He's a huge donor, which is likely why he got to teach. Don't underestimate the power of donors, so it's possible he'll be back in the future. If that happens, stay away.

So what's the story here? That he was late with grades?


Yeah, we got normal grades. I got my B+ (all I was asking for) but a poster above seemed to be saying that few broke median. Pure speculation, but maybe he got pressured into giving 90% of the class a B+ since so many complained.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:30 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
lookingin wrote:
The course evaluations are juicy.


Wow, they are. Worth a read. Would quote them here if it wouldn't get around. TL;DR: he told stories all semester, never really taught anything. Funny thing is, numerically the ratings are not really that low, it's just the comments that are harsh.


I read a handful and came across this gem:
Evaluation wrote:I was uncomfortable with his racial and/or ethnic comments at times, such as singling out the black students to ask if they were African, or using the term "yellow people" one class to describe a racial group. I did not care that he made political comments, but maybe that's because we share political views. Very uncomfortable at times.

lol

uvheylaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby uvheylaw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:50 pm

SweetTort wrote:To the students in this thread, would you have taken a Dillard scholarship or Harvard, and why?


If you're the type of person who would ask this question here, you should probably go to Harvard.

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby swampman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 pm

uvheylaw wrote:
SweetTort wrote:To the students in this thread, would you have taken a Dillard scholarship or Harvard, and why?


If you're the type of person who would ask this question here*, you should probably go to Harvard.

*Before applying to either of these schools, taking the LSAT, or finishing your sophomore year of college.

This is legit depressing, SweetTort. Go make out with that coed down the hall, you don't need to be doing this now.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:03 am

SweetTort wrote:To the students in this thread, would you have taken a Dillard scholarship or Harvard, and why?
Graduating debt free is pretty big. I know one student who turned down Yale for a named scholly at UVA. Unless you want to teach, UVA will open most of the same doors (including clerkships) and you'd be debt free.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:41 am

SweetTort wrote:To the students in this thread, would you have taken a Dillard scholarship or Harvard, and why?

Depends on what scholly you get need-based from Harvard. Assuming sticker, Dillard all day.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:45 am

monsterman wrote:yeah didn't you guys see the email sent by the SBA? apparently it's an effort by the university to minimize our 'drinking culture.' Cuz yanno we are so connected the problems the university has...

That's such fucking bullshit. Read about it in the law weekly. We're not the fucking rapists on Central Grounds.

To anyone considering UVA - this type of shit makes me want to tell you not consider it. If the keg is gone, Dandelion, Feb Club, all that shit isn't far behind.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

First Offense wrote:
monsterman wrote:yeah didn't you guys see the email sent by the SBA? apparently it's an effort by the university to minimize our 'drinking culture.' Cuz yanno we are so connected the problems the university has...

That's such fucking bullshit. Read about it in the law weekly. We're not the fucking rapists on Central Grounds.

To anyone considering UVA - this type of shit makes me want to tell you not consider it. If the keg is gone, Dandelion, Feb Club, all that shit isn't far behind.

Yeah I almost never go to the keg and I'm still really pretty pissed about this. $55k a year should buy us a pass on this bullshit.

Tgoin
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Tgoin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:38 pm

lawhoo16 wrote:
North wrote:
lawhoo16 wrote:I just want to join the chorus of people advising to never ever EVER take a class from Stone. Complete joke. Worst professor I've ever had. He's a huge donor, which is likely why he got to teach. Don't underestimate the power of donors, so it's possible he'll be back in the future. If that happens, stay away.

So what's the story here? That he was late with grades?


Yeah, we got normal grades. I got my B+ (all I was asking for) but a poster above seemed to be saying that few broke median. Pure speculation, but maybe he got pressured into giving 90% of the class a B+ since so many complained.


This speculation is way off. The grades are everywhere from C and above

lawhoo16
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby lawhoo16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Tgoin wrote:
lawhoo16 wrote:
North wrote:
lawhoo16 wrote:I just want to join the chorus of people advising to never ever EVER take a class from Stone. Complete joke. Worst professor I've ever had. He's a huge donor, which is likely why he got to teach. Don't underestimate the power of donors, so it's possible he'll be back in the future. If that happens, stay away.

So what's the story here? That he was late with grades?


Yeah, we got normal grades. I got my B+ (all I was asking for) but a poster above seemed to be saying that few broke median. Pure speculation, but maybe he got pressured into giving 90% of the class a B+ since so many complained.


This speculation is way off. The grades are everywhere from C and above


Good to know. For 0Ls who might be scared by this, this is a big deal because any C grades are extremely rare. Very few professors will dip below B- grades (especially for a class like PR). Hard to know for sure though since the school no longer gives info about professor curves.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:27 pm

I'd be LIVID if I got a C -- deserved or not. That's just not an okay thing to do ITE. I heard Geis requested a meeting with all the students in the class to discuss the exam and the course.

Calling dibs on the StoneNorth Dining Hall. It'll serve Chipotle and be open 24/7 and there'll be a keg every day at 4:00.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:36 pm

back when the gradebook was available, there were only like 5-6 C+'s a year. I really only remember seeing 1 straight C. That's ridiculous for him to be giving multiple C/C+ grades. Don't they sometimes reject grades distributions and have professors regrade?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 pm

C level grades are relatively rare but not something to freak out about. Cohen gives multiple C level grades for each class, as does Coughlin (generally).

I saw a couple Fs. Maybe a D or two.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:22 am

North wrote:
First Offense wrote:
monsterman wrote:yeah didn't you guys see the email sent by the SBA? apparently it's an effort by the university to minimize our 'drinking culture.' Cuz yanno we are so connected the problems the university has...

That's such fucking bullshit. Read about it in the law weekly. We're not the fucking rapists on Central Grounds.

To anyone considering UVA - this type of shit makes me want to tell you not consider it. If the keg is gone, Dandelion, Feb Club, all that shit isn't far behind.

Yeah I almost never go to the keg and I'm still really pretty pissed about this. $55k a year should buy us a pass on this bullshit.

What the actual fuck. Someone needs to run for sba prez on a platform with one plank: bring back the keg.

If this is you, pm me for $100 donation to your campaign. Not joking.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:45 pm

North wrote:
First Offense wrote:
monsterman wrote:yeah didn't you guys see the email sent by the SBA? apparently it's an effort by the university to minimize our 'drinking culture.' Cuz yanno we are so connected the problems the university has...

That's such fucking bullshit. Read about it in the law weekly. We're not the fucking rapists on Central Grounds.

To anyone considering UVA - this type of shit makes me want to tell you not consider it. If the keg is gone, Dandelion, Feb Club, all that shit isn't far behind.

Yeah I almost never go to the keg and I'm still really pretty pissed about this. $55k a year should buy us a pass on this bullshit.
It's like they think we're getting drunk and doing keg stands from 4-6pm.

User avatar
Hootimestwo
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Hootimestwo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm

0L here with a question: do you feel like it makes a big difference living really close to the school? If you live further away, do you feel like you've missed anything? FWIW I'll be living with my spouse- anyone married/living with SO care to share thoughts?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:31 pm

people who live close by generally do it because they value the things that you get from being a 5-minute walk from class. people who live far out value the things you get by being far away (much nicer places for reasonable prices). Don't second guess yourself, if you think you want to live close/far, you can make it work easily, and you won't miss out on anything that you really want to be a part of.

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby monsterman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Has anyone had Edmund Kitch for anything? I have him for a class now--his course reviews were pretty bad but I liked him the first day so I decided to stick it out. Now I'm not so sure. He rambles on about random shit for most of the class and barely touches the cases. So...does anyone know what his exams/grad distribution is like?

jj2014
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jj2014 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:42 pm

How hard is it to get a job out west from UVA? Do many California or mountain-west firms recruit there? People I've talked to said it's possible, but it takes a little more effort than landing somewhere out east.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:24 am

anon sequitur wrote:Don't second guess yourself, if you think you want to live close/far, you can make it work easily


+1

whats an updog
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:12 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby whats an updog » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Hootimestwo wrote:0L here with a question: do you feel like it makes a big difference living really close to the school? If you live further away, do you feel like you've missed anything? FWIW I'll be living with my spouse- anyone married/living with SO care to share thoughts?


I would second the other posts that you can probably make it work wherever you live. Personally, I really value the convenience of the location. I live in the Copeley Hill family housing which is a 5 minute walk to the law school and an even quicker walk to my son's school. It's really easy to run home between classes to have lunch with my family or get a book if I forgot it. I also don't have to make any arrangements for being picked up by my wife after classes.

There is a significant amount of grassy area in Copeley Hill with playgrounds, a creek, and picnic benches which are great when the weather is good. It's also super close to JPJ arena which you can walk to for basketball games and other events during off season. Plus, all utilities including internet are free and the price ($1060 for a 3BRM) is pretty awesome. The central heating (which comes in through radiators in all the rooms) is actually way better than I'd anticipated and in the Winter we've been fine.

Downsides are that the quality of the apartment isn't the greatest. The paint on the walls has about 10 layers and will regularly chip and fall off. The bathroom fans are all incredibly noisy. At least in the 3BRM the floors are all linoleum which just doesn't look great and (imo) requires you do get some big rugs to keep it from being cave-like in it's echoyness/cold. Washer/dryer is shared and is $1.50 a load which can add up.

jj2014 wrote:How hard is it to get a job out west from UVA? Do many California or mountain-west firms recruit there? People I've talked to said it's possible, but it takes a little more effort than landing somewhere out east.


Haven't gone through OCI yet, but my impression is that it isn't that much harder. There is a pretty good (and growing) support network for people going out West but the overall emphasis of firms that visit and have receptions are Richmond/DC/NYC.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, carlos_danger and 2 guests