UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ncc5

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby ncc5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Eh, I wouldn't say it doesn't matter at all. It's a bit helpful when you are answering why lit/transactional in an interview to say "Well, I took Evidence/Corporations and that gave me a good insight on some of the work I'll be doing," even if that isn't true. If you have other classes you'd rather take, by all means take those, but if you are apathetic you're probably better off taking something that will help flag your interest.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:37 pm

I will say I was asked what I was taking fall of 2L twice after indicating I wanted to do corporate (I did not take any corporate classes spring of 1L). One was visibly pleased to see I was taking mostly corporate classes, though I can't say that had any impact whatsoever on the interview.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 pm

whats an updog wrote:Does it matter much which electives you pick for 1L spring? I've heard Evidence and Corporations are good classes to take, but the only Corporations class that fits my schedule starts at 8:30 and I'm not trying to wake up that early.

Yeah I got asked maybe 3-5 times what classes I'm taking and I would say only once the interviewer actually cares, the others were just filler questions.

I would take either Evidence or Corp if you can though (and sometime next year, the other) just because I think it would be weird to graduate law school not having done so.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:47 pm

I think one or the other can be pretty good signalling about what area of law you're interested in, but at the same time the majority of firms you interview with will probably have enough of a variety of practice groups that it won't make much of a difference one way or the other.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:04 pm

First Offense wrote:I think one or the other can be pretty good signalling about what area of law you're interested in, but at the same time the majority of firms you interview with will probably have enough of a variety of practice groups that it won't make much of a difference one way or the other.

Yeah it's good in the proactive sense. As in you turn the conversation towards wanting to do X b/c you took Y last semester.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:09 am

that's the default way of dealing with this answer; everyone in your class will be doing it. you'll need something better anyway, so your course selection doesn't matter. don't take an 8:30 section of one of these if you don't want to because taking the classes everyone takes eventually is a really weak heuristic in the first place. just don't stock up on classes that clearly have no connection to private practice of any sort (e.g. seminars by uva undergrad profs) and you will be fine.

chem

Postby chem » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 am

I'd shoot for evidence. Pre-reqs for a lot of litigation type classes AND its always hard to get in with the good professors, so you might as well try now

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:02 pm

sprezz wrote:that's the default way of dealing with this answer; everyone in your class will be doing it. you'll need something better anyway, so your course selection doesn't matter. don't take an 8:30 section of one of these if you don't want to because taking the classes everyone takes eventually is a really weak heuristic in the first place. just don't stock up on classes that clearly have no connection to private practice of any sort (e.g. seminars by uva undergrad profs) and you will be fine.
I would echo this. I was asked a lot about what I took 1L spring during 2L OGI/callbacks because of a non-doctrinal class on my transcript. It had a corporate focus, but was not a typical class. Interviewers liked that I hadn't taken a typical class, but that the one I took was still relevant to my interests. In fact, most of my interviewers were surprised the class was at the law school and not the business school. I was asked about 2L fall classes a few times (I was asked by the firm I'm heading to during screener and CB) - I happen to be taking both Corporations and Evidence this semester, but they were more interested in my other two classes this semester (both short courses).

My recommendation would be the following:
(1) If you are at all interested in litigation, take Evidence as soon as possible so you can get pre-reqs out of the way for other classes/clinics.
(2) If you are leaning transactional, take either:
(a) Accounting/Corporate Finance if you want to do the law and business courses later on,
(b) Corporations, again to kick out prereqs,
(c) Fed Income Tax, again to kick out prereqs,
(3) Take a class with a 1L prof you really liked/did well in (you can switch things around at the beginning of the spring).
(4) DO NOT take Private Equity & Hedge Funds as a 1L. The class only has Corporations listed as a "Recommended, but not required" prereq. The class should only be taken after taking Fed income tax, partnership tax, securities regulation, and corporations. Speaking from experience here.
(5) You really shouldn't be thinking about this right now, focus on your fall classes.

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Where's a good place to watch the sun set in Charlottesville?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:56 pm

blue mountain brewery

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 am

How B+ heavy is Trial Advocacy?

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 pm

olive16 wrote:How B+ heavy is Trial Advocacy?

Every Trial Ad class has a different prof, and grading is up to the prof. In the days when the grade book was accessible, there was at least one prof with a wide curve while most the rest were heavily stacked around the B+. Also, read the course reviews on lawweb before selecting a prof - that will give you a good guide as to what's going to be expected of you.

One thing to bear in mind is that the class will be curved, so someone's getting a B or B-. Usually in a small class you can work out who's visibly not putting in as much effort as the rest of the class. In my experience. in something without an exam, effort often counts as much as quality, at least in avoiding the bottom of the curve. If you can't identify that person it may be you in which case you might want to raise your workload a bit.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Au revoir Cary Bennett. Good night sweet prince

North

Postby North » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:09 pm

sundance95 wrote:Au revoir Cary Bennett. Good night sweet prince

He retire?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm surprised he lasted until the year 201$.

North

Postby North » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:11 pm

North wrote:

He retire?

Yup.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:22 pm

weird, I'd have figured dean of admissions was a higher position. How do they figure out who is qualified for these jobs anyway?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:00 pm

anon sequitur wrote:weird, I'd have figured dean of admissions was a higher position. How do they figure out who is qualified for these jobs anyway?

The primary qualification required is croc wearing. Dugas definitely has some big shoes to fill

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 pm

What was law review gpa cut off this past year ? Was it ever released?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 pm

just wait for the spreadsheet, it should be coming out pretty soon

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Did anyone take Goluboff's Constitutional History last spring and have an outline they'd be willing to share? The only outline on the outline bank is from her class she taught a while ago. PM me if you do. Thanks!

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Any 3Ls have a list of classes that should definitely be taken before graduation? Thinking more along the lines of classes that will help for the bar or that graduates are just expected to have taken, rather than the fun/easy ones (because I've probably got those scouted pretty well already lol).

Thanks guys.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:58 am

i asked old people this and the only repeat answer other than corporations/evidence was securities regulation.

i don't really think taking a class for the bar makes sense except for maybe evidence. there's a reason bar prep is a thing...even "bar" ish classes aren't geared for the bar you'll be taking, etc etc. so just take the fun/easy ones and enjoy yourself. do practical courses if you want to feel productive, they generally have a nicer allocation of work than exam courses anyway so a win-win

jimmythecatdied6

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 pm

I found the following classes extremely helpful with bar prep, and I think the general consensus is that these classes are helpful regardless of the state in which you plan to practice: corporations, family law, trusts and estates, evidence, sec reg, and fed courts.

Assuming that you take those classes and actually try to learn the material, your bar prep much more manageable. It's a lot easier to "relearn" material than it is to learn it for the first time in the middle of July along with 10+ other topics.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Can any Dillards or others that are familiar with the scholarship discuss whether Dillards receive special treatment/mentoring? Or is it just a wheelbarrow of cash w/ no academic perks? Feel free to PM. TYIA.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”