UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thesealocust

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby thesealocust » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:14 pm

lookingin wrote:When do upperclassmen recommend taking the MPRE? In November, even though we'll still be in PR if we're taking it this semester, after PR is over, or just around when we take the bar exam?

All the cool kids take it after the bar exam 8)

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:56 pm

lookingin wrote:When do upperclassmen recommend taking the MPRE? In November, even though we'll still be in PR if we're taking it this semester, after PR is over, or just around when we take the bar exam?

November of your 3L year. I took it then so I would have an opportunity to retake before the bar exam in the event that I somehow failed. In August after the bar exam, well, that's bar trip time.

chem

Postby chem » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08 pm

During PR. And then dont go to PR. Instant B+

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:45 pm

chem wrote:

Presumably you are assuming they don't take Cohen?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:36 pm

albanach wrote:
chem wrote:

Presumably you are assuming they don't take Cohen?

Pro Tip: Don't take Cohen.

North

Postby North » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Anybody who took Jurisprudence with Schauer have any guidance on how he likes these papers written?

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:00 pm

North wrote:Anybody who took Jurisprudence with Schauer have any guidance on how he likes these papers written?

Seconding this question!

Also, if we're not writing a paper for a given week, how important is it that we still do the reading for that week?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:38 pm

only reason to do that reading is if you write a paper later with an argument that should have called back to whatever you didn't read. you of course have no idea when that's going to happen when you skip readings. but i suspect a lot of good grades were awarded in that class to people who skipped substantial portions of weekly assignments. iirc it's really obvious from the syllabus which week's readings are likely to connect back to future topics

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:33 pm

sprezz wrote:only reason to do that reading is if you write a paper later with an argument that should have called back to whatever you didn't read. you of course have no idea when that's going to happen when you skip readings. but i suspect a lot of good grades were awarded in that class to people who skipped substantial portions of weekly assignments. iirc it's really obvious from the syllabus which week's readings are likely to connect back to future topics

Agreed with this.

As for how to do the papers, there's nothing special, just follow the prompt he gives. You. Analyze and critique. Like an exam. Also, do the papers early, I feel like he gave better grades to earlier work. And he gave zero feedback for the stuff from late in the semester.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:45 am

Mack12 wrote:
North wrote:Anybody who took Jurisprudence with Schauer have any guidance on how he likes these papers written?

Seconding this question!

Also, if we're not writing a paper for a given week, how important is it that we still do the reading for that week?

I did all the readings up until I completed the 6 papers (at assignment #8), and then did not read at all after that. I think I did mention some of the previous readings in my later papers, so I would suggest reading up until you've finished your papers for that reason.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 pm

anyone know what happened to the UVA outline bank? Did they take it down?

North

Postby North » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:58 pm

anon sequitur wrote:anyone know what happened to the UVA outline bank? Did they take it down?

You've got to get to it through the SBA website. Not sure if the mobile link (on my phone) will work, but here it is: http://virginiasba.com/resources/outlines/

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 pm

North wrote:You've got to get to it through the SBA website. Not sure if the mobile link (on my phone) will work, but here it is: http://virginiasba.com/resources/outlines/

Thanks very much, I always used to just google "uva outline bank" and wherever it took me was a dead link. For awhile there I thought I'd have to do my own outlining for 3L.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:46 am

So what the fuck did the Law Weekly put in their issue that was so offensive? Someone give me the dirt.

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:21 am

First Offense wrote:So what the fuck did the Law Weekly put in their issue that was so offensive? Someone give me the dirt.

I heard it was some joke about BLSA and APALSA that referenced fried chicken and fried rice. Unconfirmed, though.

daisy8080

Postby daisy8080 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:07 pm

daisy8080 wrote:Hi,

1) Can any accepted law school students talk about what sorts of extracurriculars they did in college?

2) Opinions on joining a pre-law fraternity for internship/networking connections? (My current mode of thinking: pre-law frat connections --> prestigious internships --> tie breaker for law school admissions between someone else w/ same LSAT/GPA as me)

Thanks in advance!

1) None. I worked.

2) Pointless. If you want to network, just network. E-mail attorneys in the area that went to your desired school and say you'd like to meet them for coffee and discuss law school/their job. Beyond that, the only "prestigious internships" that will make a difference are maybe some Hill oriented work.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks in advance!

1. I did a few extracurriculars just for funsies (sorority, club tennis, etc.) But the only one that probably made any kind of difference for law school admissions was paging at the state house of representatives.

2. LOL. Pretty sure no one cares one bit about pre-law fraternities. That being said, it certainly won't hurt to join, (was one of the ECs I joined just for fun/to add one more thing to my resume) but I highly doubt it would do much of anything in terms of getting into school/getting an internship.

ellewoods2016

Postby ellewoods2016 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm

does any one have a recommendation for a securities regulation supplement?

currently riding the struggle bus in that class.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks in advance!

1) I had music all over my resume, but as another poster said I worked while in college so I didn't have much free time.
2) I doubt it'll help you get in. It may help later on when those kids go to law school and get jerbs and you're looking to switch jobs way down the line. But that's any type of networking.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Anyone know whether it's necessary to buy the book for Negotiation Institute/necessary to do the assigned reading?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:14 pm

envisciguy wrote:Anyone know whether it's necessary to buy the book for Negotiation Institute/necessary to do the assigned reading?

It's not

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 am

Does it matter much which electives you pick for 1L spring? I've heard Evidence and Corporations are good classes to take, but the only Corporations class that fits my schedule starts at 8:30 and I'm not trying to wake up that early.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 pm

doesn't matter at all

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:26 pm

sweet

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”