UVA Law Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anon sequitur

Silver

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 pm

persia1921 wrote:Any insights on these Profs?

Civil Pro: Ortiz, Daniel.
Contracts: Mahoney, Paul G.
Torts: Duffy, John F.
Crim: Ferzan, Kimberly.
L&R: Ware, Sarah S.
Mahoney is the dean of the law school. He's an awesome lecturer, and takes a fairly old school approach: random cold calls that can make you sound dumb if you don't know the details/reasoning of the case. Very traditional exam.

Ferzan is new, but she's gotten great reviews from what I've heard. Also seems to be demanding and a little bit unorthodox in her approach. But maybe she won't be like that for a 1L class.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Last edited by swampman on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 pm

swampman wrote:Any thoughts on Darryl Brown for Crim?
top 3 most boring lecturers I've had in law school. Virtually no cold calling. Pretty easy to figure out what he wants you to know. Pleasant guy.

UCLAHopeful2014

Bronze

Post by UCLAHopeful2014 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 pm

The only professor of mine I am worried about is Alex Johnson for Contracts... I have heard he likes closed book exams. Can anyone confirm?

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Very clear professor. Can be boring, but I think it's just the way he talks. I enjoyed him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 am

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:The only professor of mine I am worried about is Alex Johnson for Contracts... I have heard he likes closed book exams. Can anyone confirm?
I had him for Property, and we had a closed book exam.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 am

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:What have peeps heard about the following professors?

MoWe 8:30-9:50am, Rachel Harmon, Criminal Law
Monday 2:10-3:10pm, Donna Buck, LRW
MoWeTh 3:40-5:00pm, Charles Barzun, Torts
TuThFr 10:00-11:20am, Paul Mitchell, Civil Procedure
TuThFr 2:10-3:30pm, Alex Johnson, Contracts
Buck is fine for LRW - she seems nice. Mitchell rules - you won the lottery with that one.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:26 am

Hey guys, selling some books and supplements for cheap. Just PM me if you're interested! All books are in good condition but have been highlighted and have margin notes, some more than others of course.

Criminal Law casebook (Bonnie, 3rd Edition) -- I'm assuming this is still being used by all sections? I'll throw in the Low supplement as well, which tracks the book pretty well since Professor Low was a co-author. $40 for the pair.

Understanding Property (Sprankling, 3rd Edition) -- I found this very helpful and think it explains the concepts very clearly. $5

Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (3rd Edition) and Glannon's Civil Procedure E&E (6th Edition) -- Glannon is awesome and these are must haves IMO. The second one isn't the newest edition, and I did a lot of the practice problems, so just $5 for the pair.

Chirelstein Contracts supplement (6th Edition) -- This is pretty good. Much shorter than most. I got this for just a few bucks online so I'm happy to just give it away for free.

So yeah for $50 you can have everything lol. PM if interested.

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 am

anon sequitur wrote:
top 3 most boring lecturers I've had in law school. Virtually no cold calling. Pretty easy to figure out what he wants you to know. Pleasant guy.
Had him for evidence and loved him. His voice can be a bit monotonous, but he throws in a few witty/sarcastic comments every now and then and his teaching method is really clear and effective, I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack12

Bronze

Post by Mack12 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 am

First Offense wrote:
MoWe 8:30-9:50am, Rachel Harmon, Criminal Law
Monday 2:10-3:10pm, Donna Buck, LRW
MoWeTh 3:40-5:00pm, Charles Barzun, Torts
TuThFr 10:00-11:20am, Paul Mitchell, Civil Procedure
TuThFr 2:10-3:30pm, Alex Johnson, Contracts
[/quote]

I loved Barzun's teaching method in torts. Very clear. He puts an outline up on the board before each class and does "wrap ups" after each class. As for cold calling, he tends to pick a random person in the room, stick with them for a couple/few questions and move down the line.

persia1921

New

Post by persia1921 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:20 am

Do all Profs use Canvas? Is that pretty much how we get all first week assignments?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:33 am

Does anybody know a good place to watch EPL matches around here?

OsaroLJ

Bronze

Post by OsaroLJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:14 pm

So LawWeb is the location for the course home pages right? My LRW professor just emailed me saying that she activated the course home page but the link on LawWeb is still not highlighted/active. Is it me?

And why can't I access Canvas?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:14 pm

canvas is new this year, none of the olds (myself included) are that familiar with it either fyi

sabrina8740

New

Post by sabrina8740 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:41 pm

What about Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, or Ware for LRW?

cfr1225

New

Post by cfr1225 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:08 pm

sabrina8740 wrote:What about Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, or Ware for LRW?
Caleb Nelson is a god among men. Not only is he one of the smartest people (if not the smartest person) on the faculty, he is an exceptional educator, incredibly nice, and genuinely cares about your success. One of my absolute favorites at UVA.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Mack12 wrote:
Had him for evidence and loved him. His voice can be a bit monotonous, but he throws in a few witty/sarcastic comments every now and then and his teaching method is really clear and effective, I think.
This is spot on for Brown, I had him for Crim Pro. The voice is dry, but there's humor there. He's nice, approachable and there will be nothing hidden from you. Everything about his teaching is clear.

For the person asking about Johnson, he's as straightforward as you get. But as a 1L, do not be late for class ever, unless you have cleared it with him first. If you haven't read and are cold called, you may well find yourself on call for the entire class. Just don't do it, as it's painful for everyone. Don't let your phone ring in class, you will be on call for all or most of class. Don't leave class to go to the restroom.

The exam will be closed book other than an unmarked copy of the UCC, but likely 2/3 multiple choice. They're not easy multiple choice questions but they're fair.

Johnson was as close to a hazing as 1L went, but I took another two classes with him later. His lecturing style is clear and he is witty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:35 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
sabrina8740 wrote:What about Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, or Ware for LRW?
Caleb Nelson is a god among men. Not only is he one of the smartest people (if not the smartest person) on the faculty, he is an exceptional educator, incredibly nice, and genuinely cares about your success. One of my absolute favorites at UVA.
I will just echo this. You will learn CivPro better than your classmates who don't have Nelson. You will also probably learn more in your Civil Procedure class than you will learn in any other class in law school.

Madmen321

New

Post by Madmen321 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Anyone have any insights on Prof Ortiz for Civ Pro or Duffy for Torts?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 am

I see people in Courts and Commerce, and I want to grab them and scream at them...

Don't buy the Lawyer's Craft. Just don't. It's a complete waste of money and I would be shocked if you cracked the spine for more than one "assignment" all year (which will be the first class of the semester where your LRW prof will make you read it but then won't talk about it all class anyway). Save yourself the 50+ bucks and just don't buy it.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am

From July 2013
Br3v wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm so going to buy [the lawyers craft]. You guys are just trying to sabotage us 0Ls.
You are joking I assume, but the sad thing is I have never heard of this book outside of this thread but I can already tell that when they tell me to buy the book day 1 I will :oops:
Good time to share the above. I read one assignment out of it before I officially realized just how useless it was. I would not buy it knowing what I know now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am

First Offense wrote:I see people in Courts and Commerce, and I want to grab them and scream at them...

Don't buy the Lawyer's Craft. Just don't. It's a complete waste of money and I would be shocked if you cracked the spine for more than one "assignment" all year (which will be the first class of the semester where your LRW prof will make you read it but then won't talk about it all class anyway). Save yourself the 50+ bucks and just don't buy it.
Maybe it depends on your LRW professor, because ours kept assigning reading from it during the brief portion of the year.

bluecrab5448

New

Post by bluecrab5448 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:43 am

Madmen321 wrote:Anyone have any insights on Prof Ortiz for Civ Pro or Duffy for Torts?
I had Professor Ortiz my 1L year, and I am surprised that the administration has allowed him to teach Civ Pro again. Look up the course evaluations for him for 2011 fall on Lawweb for an inkling of the backlash. He is extremely brilliant in a way that makes him qualified to teach SCOTUS Lit clinic but he just lacks the ability to break down really difficult abstract concepts in a more accessible way for 1Ls who have no idea what they're reading. He also left town for a week right before the Civ Pro final, which was that year's first 1L final ever, without any way of contacting him for last-minute questions, and was generally unhelpful during review sessions, answering 75% of the questions people had with, "I'm sorry, I can't discuss that without everyone present, because it would be unfair."

I think I learned the bulk of civ pro by asking other people and wikipedia-ing stuff for a basic framework, but the best approach, in hindsight, would be:
1) Stop by Ortiz's office hours as soon as any questions crop up so you can get a handle of his style of explaining things.
2) Strength in numbers. Grab a bunch of relatively competent people and review things every few weeks. It helps to explain concepts aloud and to hear other perspectives.
3) Some people used Emmanuel's civ pro BLL outline.
4) Pray that he does not give you a 5-page fact pattern for the final with very strict word limits for the answers.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Madmen321 wrote:Anyone have any insights on Prof Ortiz for Civ Pro or Duffy for Torts?
Also surprised the school let Ortiz teach 1Ls. Duffy can't get through a syllabus, but will test you on everything on it.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:56 pm

danitt wrote:
First Offense wrote:I see people in Courts and Commerce, and I want to grab them and scream at them...

Maybe it depends on your LRW professor, because ours kept assigning reading from it during the brief portion of the year.
Mine did too - it was still not worth buying. If you're that desperate to read it, you can always borrow from a friend or find it at the library. I wouldn't waste money buying it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”