UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
North

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:48 pm

I brought a car only to have it break down a month in, then I replaced it in mid-Spring. So I've lived both scenarios for extended periods.

IME, absolutely bring a car.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Anyone have any insights into the con law II's? (religious liberty and speech + press)

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Mack12 wrote:Anyone have any insights into the con law II's? (religious liberty and speech + press)

The latter, yes.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:15 pm

persia1921 wrote:Ok, so I will be living near the law school (walking distance) and I am trying to decide if I should still bring a car. I have the option between two different cars, and SUV and a Sedan. Is it worth brining one? And if so, would there be any specific reason one would might want a SUV vs a Sedan in Charlottesville?

To echo the above posters, I think having a car is very useful; I would recommend it. As to sedan vs. SUV, I personally would go with the SUV. More room for move-in/move-out, and it might come in handy if (when) we get snow.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:28 pm

How many hours do people usually take, or recommend taking, 2L fall?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Mack12 wrote:How many hours do people usually take, or recommend taking, 2L fall?

12. Dear god, only 12.

alitagator

Postby alitagator » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I have a few class questions, if you can answer ANY of the following questions, I would appreciate it:

1) Would you recommend taking Federal Income Tax along with Accounting/Corporate Finance and Corporations this fall? If so, Hayashi or Doran?

2) Has anyone heard anything about Emerging Growth Companies and Venture Capital Financing with Lincoln?

3) Is Intl Law w/ Setear B+ heavy or not?

4) Any opinion of Christie (for Regulation of U.S. Industries)

5.) Anyone heard anything about Franchise Law and/or the professor Dienelt?

6.) Comments about Immigration Law as a class and/or the professor, Martin?

Thanks!

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 pm

alitagator wrote:3) Is Intl Law w/ Setear B+ heavy or not?

No. He has a wide curve.

alitagator

Postby alitagator » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

One more class question: Is it a waste of time to take evidence if you are pursuing corporate law?

dce7

Postby dce7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:14 pm

alitagator wrote:1) Would you recommend taking Federal Income Tax along with Accounting/Corporate Finance and Corporations this fall? If so, Hayashi or Doran?

I know nothing about Hayashi, but Doran is one of the best teachers at the law school. He taught us Property several years ago, when he was visiting from Georgetown for the semester, and our two sections gave him a standing ovation at the end of the last lecture of the semester. That was the only time that ever happened in any of my classes over three years (although I can think of at least one other class that deserved it). You can't go wrong taking any class with Doran.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 pm

pertristis wrote:

No. He has a wide curve.

That's weird I heard from someone today that took his intl class last semester that he gives pretty much everyone a B+

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

No. He has a wide curve.

That's weird I heard from someone today that took his intl class last semester that he gives pretty much everyone a B+

I would take most of the curve talk with a heavy grain of salt. Common consensus is that one of my 1L profs gives almost everyone B+'s, but from talking with people in my section that is clearly not the case. If you want to take a class, I would worry more about whether the professor has a good reputation as an instructor than how they curve.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:28 pm

alitagator wrote:One more class question: Is it a waste of time to take evidence if you are pursuing corporate law?

It's going to be on the bar, so there's that.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:32 pm

pertristis wrote:
Mack12 wrote:How many hours do people usually take, or recommend taking, 2L fall?

12. Dear god, only 12.

Uh oh. I got Trial Ad (4) in the lottery for grad classes, and was thinking about also taking Corporations (4) and TWO of the following: international (3), social science (3), survey to IP (3) for a total of 14. It would end up being two classes a day plus one on friday.

Too much?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

12. Dear god, only 12.

Uh oh. I got Trial Ad (4) in the lottery for grad classes, and was thinking about also taking Corporations (4) and TWO of the following: international (3), social science (3), survey to IP (3) for a total of 14. It would end up being two classes a day plus one on friday.

Too much?

Trial Ad seems like a bad decision first semester. I hear it can be a lot of work, and some of it can be up front.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:12 pm

Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

12. Dear god, only 12.

Too much?
You can always drop Trial Ad...nothing says you have to take it (or any other upper level requirement) this semester.

I think I'm shooting for 2 doctrinal (Corps + Evidence/FIT) and a few short courses to bring me up to 12-13 credits. I want to be able to focus on the job search in August/September (and later if needed).

albanach

Postby albanach » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:18 pm

dce7 wrote:
alitagator wrote:1) Would you recommend taking Federal Income Tax along with Accounting/Corporate Finance and Corporations this fall? If so, Hayashi or Doran?

I know nothing about Hayashi, but Doran is one of the best teachers at the law school. He taught us Property several years ago, when he was visiting from Georgetown for the semester, and our two sections gave him a standing ovation at the end of the last lecture of the semester. That was the only time that ever happened in any of my classes over three years (although I can think of at least one other class that deserved it). You can't go wrong taking any class with Doran.

This. Doran was quite amazing, and it's great that the school has him back from Georgetown.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 pm

First Offense wrote:
Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

12. Dear god, only 12.

Too much?

Trial Ad seems like a bad decision first semester. I hear it can be a lot of work, and some of it can be up front.

4 credit trial ad? Da fuh?

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:06 am

alitagator wrote:

Thanks!

I had Martin for Con Law and he was terrible - by far the worst professor I've ever had at UVA. However, he also straight up told us that he did not like teaching 1Ls and was only teaching Con Law because Liz Magill (who was supposed to teach us) had left to be Dean at Stanford. Friends of mine who later took him for Presidential Powers say he was much better in that class. So, it is possible that he performs better when he cares about what he is teaching, but his weak performance as my Con Law prof still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I would never take him for anything again.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:58 pm

12, or as few as possible. You will be very busy with OGI/job-searching.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

12. Dear god, only 12.

Too much?

If you can, do trial ad college. End of story.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:05 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
alitagator wrote:

Thanks!

I had Martin for Con Law and he was terrible - by far the worst professor I've ever had at UVA. However, he also straight up told us that he did not like teaching 1Ls and was only teaching Con Law because Liz Magill (who was supposed to teach us) had left to be Dean at Stanford. Friends of mine who later took him for Presidential Powers say he was much better in that class. So, it is possible that he performs better when he cares about what he is teaching, but his weak performance as my Con Law prof still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I would never take him for anything again.

I thought Martin was fine for ConLaw and Immigration. That said, I wouldn't take immigration law unless you have an actual interest in the subject. The class will have several students who actually plan to do immigration law on graduation. It's heavily statute based and the statute is a terrible mess of cross-references that made me groan each and every time I looked at it.

If you want to do immigration law, I think it's easier to find this tolerable.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:09 pm

First Offense wrote:
Mack12 wrote:
pertristis wrote:

Too much?

4 credit trial ad? Da fuh?

It's actually 3 credits! Oops.

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:01 pm

Does anyone know if Schauer's jurisprudence class is VLR heavy or not? I thought I had heard that it might be but I could be mistaken.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:34 pm

yep it is

format is friendly to variance though if you've done similar work in undergrad or whatever, so wouldn't shy away from it for that reason

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”