UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zuckercorn

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby zuckercorn » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Do you mean dates or times of day?

If you mean dates, Here you go.

If you mean times of day. Here you go. Although obviously until you know what Section you are in this only gives you a general sense.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:what is the latest that 1L classes start and end at?

From lawweb: all torts sections, with the exception of Harrison's class, end at 5. Harrison's torts ends at 4:40, but meets 4 times a week.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

If you mean by day... I want to say generally ~5pm. I don't know of any 1L classes that ran later, but someone else may be able to chime in.

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm

My earliest class was 8:30 (on Fridays!!) and my latest class ended at 5 pm (thankfully not Friday). I think that's pretty typical. Obviously you don't have all your classes on all the days - I think I had 3 classes most days.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 pm

CvilleRunner wrote:

My earliest class was 8:30 (on Fridays!!) and my latest class ended at 5 pm (thankfully not Friday). I think that's pretty typical. Obviously you don't have all your classes on all the days - I think I had 3 classes most days.
You'll also have a gap from 11-2 on most days (if not all).

On a completely different note:

(1) Corporations with Curtis (L&B) or Kordana (not L&B)? I had Kordana for Contracts, so I have had the "Kordana experience." Curtis's section conflicts with Doran's FIT section and I wanted to know if L&B/Quinn was worth not taking FIT with Doran.
(2) Bankruptcy with Hynes (L&B) in the Fall or Walt (not L&B) in the Spring?
(3) Anyone have any experience getting off the wait list for one of Jim Donovan's classes? Does he let people into the course if there aren't that many above the enrollment number who show up on the first day?
Last edited by Yardbird on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 pm

There's no difference b/w law and business and regular classes.

Walt is definitely dry and boring, but probably covers the rules in a more straightforward and logical method than Hynes.

Bankruptcy is an exceedingly complicated course. It was the most difficult one I took in law school.

Curtis is fine

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

5ky wrote:There's no difference b/w law and business and regular classes.

Walt is definitely dry and boring, but probably covers the rules in a more straightforward and logical method than Hynes.

Bankruptcy is an exceedingly complicated course. It was the most difficult one I took in law school.

Curtis is fine
No difference at all - what's the point then, lol? Also, I guess I should have phrased my question differently: who would be easier - Kordana or Curtis?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:43 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
CvilleRunner wrote:

You'll also have a gap from 11-2 on most days (if not all).

On a completely different note:

(1) Corporations with Curtis (L&B) or Kordana (not L&B)? I had Kordana for Contracts, so I have had the "Kordana experience." Curtis's section conflicts with Doran's FIT section and I wanted to know if L&B/Quinn was worth not taking FIT with Doran.
(2) Bankruptcy with Hynes (L&B) in the Fall or Walt (not L&B) in the Spring?
(3) Anyone have any experience getting off the wait list for one of Jim Donovan's classes? Does he let people into the course if there aren't that many above the enrollment number who show up on the first day?

If you want to actually learn Corporations, take it with Curtis.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

Curtis is fine
No difference at all - what's the point then, lol? Also, I guess I should have phrased my question differently: who would be easier - Kordana or Curtis?

It's a marketing thing. I assure you there's no difference. I think I took every course that had a law and business option, half in l&b and half in the regular. No difference.

I mean, the thing is that most of the subjects have nothing to do with accounting or corporate finance. Bankruptcy, securities reg, secured transactions etc just don't cover the material you learn in the acct/corp fin class

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:31 am

you all are the best. thank you! I meant times of the day.

hoorahray

Postby hoorahray » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am

What dates do upperclass classes begin? I remember an email saying Aug 27 but the academic calendar says Aug 20...

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 am

Is trial ad a real class? Like you have to read everyday and study for the exam?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:23 am

Br3v wrote:Is trial ad a real class? Like you have to read everyday and study for the exam?

No. But it's a crap ton of work near the end when you have to prep for your mock trial. It can also be a decent bit of work during the rest of the semester if your professor is big on having you do bits and pieces of a trial off the top of your head.

shadowofjazz wrote:

Curtis is fine

Definitely Kordana; he doesn't like giving out grades below a B and he tries to give out as many B+s as he can. Curtis...Not so much. Also the former doesn't cold call at all; the latter actually has an assigned cold call list. If you want a more chill semester go with Kordana.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Br3v wrote:Is trial ad a real class? Like you have to read everyday and study for the exam?

No. But it's a crap ton of work near the end when you have to prep for your mock trial. It can also be a decent bit of work during the rest of the semester if your professor is big on having you do bits and pieces of a trial off the top of your head.

shadowofjazz wrote:

Curtis is fine

Definitely Kordana; he doesn't like giving out grades below a B and he tries to give out as many B+s as he can. Curtis...Not so much. Also the former doesn't cold call at all; the latter actually has an assigned cold call list. If you want a more chill semester go with Kordana.
I'm guessing the flip side of that is Curtis gives out more As/A-s. Kordana gave out 1 A and 2-4 A-s for my contracts small section (26 students), so I knew already he'd likely be very B+ heavy.
Last edited by Yardbird on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Curtis has a totally normal curve, or used to, anyway. 10% A, 20ish% a-

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:26 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

Is it graded on a curve?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Br3v wrote:Is it graded on a curve?

Unfortunately yes...Which to me leads to some pretty stupid outcomes if you have a professor who doesn't care for B+ing most of the class.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

Trial ad is particularly helpful if you plan to do something like public interest litigation - prosecutor/PD/legal aid - where you're likely to be in court really quickly. For that reason, trial ad college in j-term is nice. You need to pay for it, and there's a good amount of work to do if you want to take advantage of the course, but you get trial ad on your transcript without it eating up your entire semester. And it's 2 credits pass/fail.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:06 pm

albanach wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Trial ad is particularly helpful if you plan to do something like public interest litigation - prosecutor/PD/legal aid - where you're likely to be in court really quickly. For that reason, trial ad college in j-term is nice. You need to pay for it, and there's a good amount of work to do if you want to take advantage of the course, but you get trial ad on your transcript without it eating up your entire semester. And it's 2 credits pass/fail.

Totally forgot about that MUCH better option. I think I recall seeing an associate profile once that said " associate was a part of the the prestigious UVA National Trial College" too lol . May as well go that route.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I think I may go that route...

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:36 pm

I would recommend both Trial Ad and Trial Ad College, the latter is especially great, though a lot of work for the 5 days it lasts. I took Davidson for regular trial ad, it wasn't a lot of work until the final, and that only took about a week or 10 days of serious prep. He also has a pretty heavy B+ curve, I'm not sure if he gave out any A's or not.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Was coming here to ask about the oral advocacy prep courses, so this is solid timing

I suck at making oral presentations (I get super nervous and blank, terrible at thinking on my feet, etc.) but really need to get better.

What is the credited way of doing that without tanking my GPA? The J-term one with all the other lawyers?

Other than that there's regular Trial Advocacy, Oral Presentations In & Out of the Courtroom, Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy, and the Rhetoric Seminar.

What should I take?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:20 pm

North wrote:Was coming here to ask about the oral advocacy prep courses, so this is solid timing

I suck at making oral presentations (I get super nervous and blank, terrible at thinking on my feet, etc.) but really need to get better.

What is the credited way of doing that without tanking my GPA? The J-term one with all the other lawyers?

Other than that there's regular Trial Advocacy, Oral Presentations In & Out of the Courtroom, Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy, and the Rhetoric Seminar.

What should I take?

If you want to get better, and are willing to work at it, I'd recommend Hallmarks of Distinguished Advocacy. In fact if you have trouble with public speaking, it's almost a must, since that's a skill you're going to use for the rest of your life, even if you're not going to be a litigator. Some of the class is fun, sometimes it's embarrassing, but it's all is geared at making you a better speaker. There's homework almost every week, and there's a heavy B+ curve.

I felt confident going in and improved a lot during the semester. Importantly, so did everyone else in the class - there was a quite substantial improvement, even from those that had been doing public drama performances since they were knee high to a grasshopper.

All the classes are video taped, and you will be given personal guidance during each class asked to watch your videos at home. Do not be afraid of being terrible in week one, since I believe much of the assessment is upon your degree of improvement rather than your final performance. That makes the playing ground more level, given there will likely be some excellent speakers in the class.

Trial college (while you learn alongside lawyers in the lectures) is with students in the practical bits. There's a slim chance if you get an odd number of students that you could be paired with a practicing lawyer for the final trial. You're not going to get as much help with your public speaking skills in the Trial College, as there really isn't the time for it.

If you really need help with public speaking, I'd take Hallmarks first, and then do the trial college afterward to reinforce. If someone is comfortable with public speaking but would like to improve then the other way around might put you in better shape to grab one of the few A- grades on offer in Hallmarks, or just take a regular trial ad course if you really want to reinforce trial specific stuff and some public speaking at the same time (though trial ad is probably more work and the class is smaller so less chance of scoring the A-).

persia1921

Postby persia1921 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Ok, so I will be living near the law school (walking distance) and I am trying to decide if I should still bring a car. I have the option between two different cars, and SUV and a Sedan. Is it worth brining one? And if so, would there be any specific reason one would might want a SUV vs a Sedan in Charlottesville?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:19 pm

persia1921 wrote:Ok, so I will be living near the law school (walking distance) and I am trying to decide if I should still bring a car. I have the option between two different cars, and SUV and a Sedan. Is it worth brining one? And if so, would there be any specific reason one would might want a SUV vs a Sedan in Charlottesville?
As someone who doesn't have a car and lives within walking distance of both the school and barracks, I'll chime in and say a car isn't *necessary* but is *very useful*. If you have a car, it's much easier to go to certain grocery stores (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, international markets, Walmart/Sam's Club). A car also allows you to go explore the area without having to rely on someone else for a ride (breweries, wineries, hiking, etc). If you have one already, then bring one. If you don't then I wouldn't go out of my way to break the bank for one. As to sedan v. SUV, I don't know which would be better for the area (check your mpgs for both?) but SUV's IMO make move in/move out easier.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”