UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Br3v

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Br3v wrote:So I am confused as to signing up for classes.

(1) As 2Ls, on July 10th are we just signing up for ethics/professional classes? Or all classes?
(2) Are we signing up for Fall/J-term and Spring classes? Or just fall/J-term?
(3) I forget, do we need to sign up for the classes on SIS or just through Law Reg when it opens up?

You can only sign up for graduation requirement classes (i.e. Ethics, Writing, Skills), but those classes can happen in the fall, Jterm, or spring. Lottery is run based on preferences you register in LawReg.

So on July 10th we are only signing up for graduation requirement classes, and a lottery is run to determine what graduation requirement classes we will be in based on our preferences in LawReg?

Then when do we (sign up/ list our preferences) for "regular" classes?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Br3v wrote:Then when do we (sign up/ list our preferences) for "regular" classes?

Late July probably

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:20 pm

polkij333 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Then when do we (sign up/ list our preferences) for "regular" classes?

Late July probably

thanks!

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Br3v wrote:
pertristis wrote:Independent research is often the correct answer, if you have a professor you like working with. Plus, unless you fuck something up, it's generally a credit or two of A.

Does it count towards your GPA?

Yep. And you have to really screw it up to not get at least an A-. I had a friend who didn't talk to the prof all semester, wrote 40 pages of pure gibberish in about 30 hours before the deadline, and got an A. It's the way to go.

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:28 am

polkij333 wrote:

Late July probably

I'm still super confused about how this works. If we get a grad req class in our first round that conflicts with a "regular" class, does that mean we are not eligible for the "regular" class because there will be a time conflict? Do we include the grad req classes in our SIS list in late July in order of preference? If we aren't that interested in the graduation requirement classes is it better to wait and try to get them in add/drop if we don't get other classes we'd prefer?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:57 am

dixon02 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
pertristis wrote:Independent research is often the correct answer, if you have a professor you like working with. Plus, unless you fuck something up, it's generally a credit or two of A.

Does it count towards your GPA?

Yep. And you have to really screw it up to not get at least an A-. I had a friend who didn't talk to the prof all semester, wrote 40 pages of pure gibberish in about 30 hours before the deadline, and got an A. It's the way to go.

Why I do have a feeling you're talking about me ...

wahoowa90

Postby wahoowa90 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Anyone taken legislative drafting and public policy with H.L. Kneedler? Seems like a cool class, but 5 weeks to research/write a 25-35 paper seems like a crunch.

hoorahray

Postby hoorahray » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 am

Class suggestions for a 3L who has no clerkship designs and works at a firm with a 100% offer rate? Talk to me of 3LOL, graduates

I know for bar purposes I will feel better about myself if I take Trusts, Family Law, and crim pro. Who are the people to avoid with these?

chem

Postby chem » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:44 am

hoorahray wrote:Class suggestions for a 3L who has no clerkship designs and works at a firm with a 100% offer rate? Talk to me of 3LOL, graduates

I know for bar purposes I will feel better about myself if I take Trusts, Family Law, and crim pro. Who are the people to avoid with these?

I don't care about how I feel about myself, so any suggestions for a 3LOL in general would be appreciated.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 am

I wouldn't take any classes for the sake of bar prep, except maybe evidence, but only because it's 1/6 of the MBE. It won't take long to learn enough about wills and trusts to write a coherent essay on the bar exam, and you'll have the entire summer to figure it out. If you're just trying to coast there are a few ways to get easy credits like the negotiation institute and seminars in ethical values, and lots of three credit seminars that aren't too demanding. It also might be worth taking classes with the superstar professors like Coughlin if you haven't already.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Cavalier wrote:I wouldn't take any classes for the sake of bar prep, except maybe evidence, but only because it's 1/6 of the MBE. It won't take long to learn enough about wills and trusts to write a coherent essay on the bar exam, and you'll have the entire summer to figure it out. If you're just trying to coast there are a few ways to get easy credits like the negotiation institute and seminars in ethical values, and lots of three credit seminars that aren't too demanding. It also might be worth taking classes with the superstar professors like Coughlin if you haven't already.

As someone in bar prep now, I think this is probably right. Trusts and Estates made the bar lecture easier, but it's all doable with time. Modern real estate might actually be the more helpful course, but I don't think Johnson is teaching it this coming year.

If you're the type who can self-motivate, I think it would be better for the bar to aim for a lighter spring semester, pay for your course early and get going before graduation.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 pm

I would recommend taking CrimPro at some point, though, if not for the bar then because it's a really interesting class. Highly recommended.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 pm

5ky wrote:I would recommend taking CrimPro at some point, though, if not for the bar then because it's a really interesting class. Highly recommended.

I much preferred Criminal Investigation. I found crim pro to be really dry by comparison, though that may be more a reflection on Brown - who was clear and comprehensive, but not exactly overflowing with enthusiasm - not at all like Armacost in Crim Investigation, but the material certainly plays a role too.

You may be referring to Crim Pro Survey with Bowers, that could certainly be a nice compromise between taking the two classes individually, and gives a head start on both sections in your bar prep. And Bowers is certainly enthusiastic and engaging.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:40 pm

^^yes, thats what i had. i forgot there were two separate classes broken out

Mack12

Postby Mack12 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Thoughts on taking corporations if you want to litigate and finance/econ is not your strong suit?

Edit: also, professional responsibility for 2L fall?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Corp is useful for litigators in that you learn the fiduciary duty and agency material (at least in Geis' class). That is actually more relevant to litigators than transactional folks.

Also, finance knowledge was not required at all.

Heat

Postby Heat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:09 pm

I took Kordana for Corps and there was no need for any kind of finance or econ knowledge.

Not sure how much I learned, but that's probably a different story.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Heat wrote:I took Kordana for Corps and there was no need for any kind of finance or econ knowledge.

Not sure how much I learned, but that's probably a different storyI learned a lot about suburban dentists and the imminent Canadian invasion of America.
Corrected that for you.

hoorahray

Postby hoorahray » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Mack12 wrote:Thoughts on taking corporations if you want to litigate and finance/econ is not your strong suit?

I took PR 2L fall with Balnave. Highly recommend never going to class.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:38 pm

hoorahray wrote:
Mack12 wrote:Thoughts on taking corporations if you want to litigate and finance/econ is not your strong suit?

It sounds so unethical to skip a class involving professional ethics

hoorahray

Postby hoorahray » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
hoorahray wrote:

He does more or less tell you that he expects that you won't go to class. Also for the love of god don't buy the casebook. Just get the rule book.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 pm

hoorahray wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
hoorahray wrote:

He does more or less tell you that he expects that you won't go to class. Also for the love of god don't buy the casebook. Just get the rule book.
Thinking about PR for the spring. Should we plan on taking the MPRE after the semester we take the course?

CvilleRunner

Postby CvilleRunner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:51 am

hoorahray wrote:

Does anyone have thoughts on PR with Stone?

hoorahray

Postby hoorahray » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:30 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Thinking about PR for the spring. Should we plan on taking the MPRE after the semester we take the course?

You certainly can, or you can wait, or you can take the MPRE before you take PR. I'm taking it in August. Everything I've heard from those who have taken it is that doing the Barbri review course (free, takes like 1-2 days to go through) and their practice exams will be more than sufficient to pass. No one I've talked to has said that they even went through their PR outline. Just rely on the Barbri stuff.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:34 pm

hoorahray wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Thinking about PR for the spring. Should we plan on taking the MPRE after the semester we take the course?

You certainly can, or you can wait, or you can take the MPRE before you take PR. I'm taking it in August. Everything I've heard from those who have taken it is that doing the Barbri review course (free, takes like 1-2 days to go through) and their practice exams will be more than sufficient to pass. No one I've talked to has said that they even went through their PR outline. Just rely on the Barbri stuff.

That's probably true, though I think it's a little easier if you've taken PR. I didn't go through my outline, but having taken the course meant I was familiar with the topics.

For me, something came up the week before the exam - I forget what - and I really only spent about 4-6 hours and got my pass. I'm pretty sure that was because I'd taken PR first.

Whatever you do, don't put it off. If you've taken PR and not yet completed the MPRE, get it out the way. You do not want to join the small group who have to study for the MPRE in the week after they take the bar.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”