UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm

..

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 pm

..

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:43 pm

..

doback
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby doback » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:25 pm

astro1819 wrote:I'm looking into a housing option that is close to downtown - about 1 mile away, on the East side of town. My one concern about living there is that I'll be fairly far away (aka, I'll have to drive) from the social events of 1L year. I figure I'll need to cab it or not drink too much for events in Ivy, but I was hoping I could walk home from events downtown. Is Bar Review typically at a bar downtown or at the Corner? If so, I figure that I could still be fairly active without worrying too much about transportation.

Anyone think I would miss out on the "UVA 1L experience" if I lived on the opposite side of town?

BTW, if I don't live on the east side of town, I'd probably live at the Woodlands, which would present the same transportation problem but it seems like I would be closer to other law students.


There's the occasional bar review downtown at South Street or Wild Wings, but the majority are at the corner. And if law students are going out on the weekend most tend to head to the corner then as well.

If you're willing to make an effort to be social you won't necessarily miss out by living downtown or in woodlands, but if you are the type of person that likes to go out a lot it is definitely is easier to live in Ivy or on Arlington. I live in Ivy and whenever we go out it's easy to get a group of friends together to split a cab. The people in my section that live farther away tend to go out a lot less because they either can't drink or have to pay for a cab by themselves when they do.

I've heard cabs from the woodlands are fairly expensive, but the corner and downtown aren't that far away so it would probably be less than $10 each way.

astro1819
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby astro1819 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Thanks for the responses!

astro1819
Posts: 302
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby astro1819 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:41 pm

hubtubrub wrote:also- can you get cheaper rents if you get an apartment in august?


I know some apartments have deals if you sign a lease early. For example, the Woodlands throws in a $400 bonus if you sign a lease before May 1st (even if you're not moving in until August). Also, if you find someone who is currently a resident there, you could list them as a referral and split the referral bonus if they're willing.

I'm not a representative of Woodlands, I just happen to know this stuff because I was looking into that specific apartment complex. I believe other places have reduced rates for early signing and referral bonuses as well.

hubtubrub
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby hubtubrub » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:11 pm

astro1819 wrote:
hubtubrub wrote:also- can you get cheaper rents if you get an apartment in august?


I know some apartments have deals if you sign a lease early. For example, the Woodlands throws in a $400 bonus if you sign a lease before May 1st (even if you're not moving in until August). Also, if you find someone who is currently a resident there, you could list them as a referral and split the referral bonus if they're willing.

I'm not a representative of Woodlands, I just happen to know this stuff because I was looking into that specific apartment complex. I believe other places have reduced rates for early signing and referral bonuses as well.


I thought they got cheaper as you go down. One of my 1l friends was telling me this... and I just wanted to confirm what he says. I like to save $$. i don't care where I live as long as it's 15 mins driving.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Here's a question for you guys: What's up with some of the people who comment on the UVA Law Blog? Between the NGSL Alpha Male-business and not-so-softcore porn novel excerpts, I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. :oops:

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1914
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 pm

This is probably a stupid laptop question, but is it possible to plug your laptop in anywhere while taking exams? I'm wanting to get a laptop with a 15.6 inch screen, but it looks like most of those have a battery life of 3 hours or so.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:36 pm

..

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:This is probably a stupid laptop question, but is it possible to plug your laptop in anywhere while taking exams? I'm wanting to get a laptop with a 15.6 inch screen, but it looks like most of those have a battery life of 3 hours or so.

You'll have no problem finding an outlet.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Cavalier » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:50 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Here's a question for you guys: What's up with some of the people who comment on the UVA Law Blog? Between the NGSL Alpha Male-business and not-so-softcore porn novel excerpts, I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. :oops:

That's anonymous speech for you!

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby democrattotheend » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Does anyone here have experience with a clinic at UVA? How difficult is it to get into a clinic, and how good is the experience?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:56 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Does anyone here have experience with a clinic at UVA? How difficult is it to get into a clinic, and how good is the experience?

I've always managed to walk right into the clinic here. The people there are quick and professional and try not to be judgmental.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:00 am

Kohinoor wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Does anyone here have experience with a clinic at UVA? How difficult is it to get into a clinic, and how good is the experience?

I've always managed to walk right into the clinic here. The people there are quick and professional and try not to be judgmental.

I don't think he meant the STD clinic, dude.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby D Brooks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 pm

Does it make sense to accept the full award of $$ and loans totaling at $67.7k?

I figured it best to take everything and if I don't use it just let it roll over to the next year and take less as a 2L.

Thoughts current UVA students?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:38 am

D Brooks wrote:Does it make sense to accept the full award of $$ and loans totaling at $67.7k?

I figured it best to take everything and if I don't use it just let it roll over to the next year and take less as a 2L.

Thoughts current UVA students?

Worked for me.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 am

Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Does it make sense to accept the full award of $$ and loans totaling at $67.7k?

I figured it best to take everything and if I don't use it just let it roll over to the next year and take less as a 2L.

Thoughts current UVA students?

Worked for me.


:roll: Trujillo doesn't give EVERYONE a full-ride. :D Thanks for your input though.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby billyez » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 am

D Brooks wrote:Does it make sense to accept the full award of $$ and loans totaling at $67.7k?

I figured it best to take everything and if I don't use it just let it roll over to the next year and take less as a 2L.

Thoughts current UVA students?


Thanks for bringing up that idea...it certianly sounds like it would be worth thinking about.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby oneforship » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:58 am

billyez wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Does it make sense to accept the full award of $$ and loans totaling at $67.7k?

I figured it best to take everything and if I don't use it just let it roll over to the next year and take less as a 2L.

Thoughts current UVA students?


Thanks for bringing up that idea...it certianly sounds like it would be worth thinking about.


If you ask for too little to begin with, you can always take more. It doesn't make sense to take out the full award and hold it over for the next year unless you think you will need the full award. Otherwise, you're just accruing unnecessary interest on anything that is unsubsidized.

my .02

enzo66
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:06 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby enzo66 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:40 am

oneforship wrote:
If you ask for too little to begin with, you can always take more. It doesn't make sense to take out the full award and hold it over for the next year unless you think you will need the full award. Otherwise, you're just accruing unnecessary interest on anything that is unsubsidized.

my .02


I agree.

User avatar
Wahoo1L
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Wahoo1L » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:14 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Here's a question for you guys: What's up with some of the people who comment on the UVA Law Blog? Between the NGSL Alpha Male-business and not-so-softcore porn novel excerpts, I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. :oops:


Here's my take. About half of the posts either say "wgwag" or "NGSL is awesome/sucks". A quarter of the posts are people getting offended at something, and then the last quarter of the posts are people responding to people getting offended. People on the blog seem to get offended over anything, and then the people responding egg on the original people who got offended. Based on my rough estimation, 90% of the posts are people trying to annoy the rest of the posters (wgwag, NGSL posts, people egging on other posters, and people getting fake offended), 5% are people legitimately offended, and the last 5% are useful posts.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 am

I approve of white girls with asian guys, that is all.

User avatar
A Swift
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby A Swift » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Is work experience a huge factor in obtaining summer internships? What constitutes beneficial work experience?

I'm asking these questions based on the advice posted to the UVA Law Blog (LinkRemoved) which seemed to stress the importance of work experience.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm

A Swift wrote:Is work experience a huge factor in obtaining summer internships? What constitutes beneficial work experience?

I'm asking these questions based on the advice posted to the UVA Law Blog (LinkRemoved) which seemed to stress the importance of work experience.

It wasn't in the past. It is now. Firm experience seems to be nice. IP experience seems much nicer.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dcc617 and 5 guests