UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jimmythecatdied6
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jimmythecatdied6 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:15 pm

I highly recommend JAG courses for folks looking for easy credits. The classes are graded (on an A- curve) but do not count towards your law school GPA. The classes may be tough to fit into your schedule (they either start before the semester or end after it), but if you can swing it, load up.

Negotiation Institute is also a no-brainer. I literally put in earplugs and read a book for another class over the course of the two days.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:52 pm

as far as upper-level writing requirement classes, any suggestions? I'm not looking to publish great scholarship, I'd just like to get the requirement out of the way and have an enjoyable 3L year with as little work as possible, B+ is fine. Thinking about classes with Schragger and Monahan.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Independent research is often the correct answer, if you have a professor you like working with. Plus, unless you fuck something up, it's generally a credit or two of A.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:11 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Right.... It would've been much more likely for him to just come out n say something inflammatory like "white males, don't bother"


Is that really so inflammatory?


Of course. We live in a society where everything and anything can be offensive when classifications are being made, especially when based on immutable characteristics. Why would he say something like that when 1. Its implicit anyways and, 2. The consequence of not saying it is a bunch of extra pieces of paper being submitted by white males that will get thrown in the garbage.


Whatever bro. Life is what it is. People who waste time being offended are fucking idiots.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 pm

pertristis wrote:
This is VLR, which gets boners about law and economics. Maybe he said it because they actually want someone who can ensure that the analysis done by law-and-economics professors isn't complete bullshit?

Nailed it.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
polkij333 wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Right.... It would've been much more likely for him to just come out n say something inflammatory like "white males, don't bother"


Is that really so inflammatory?


Of course. We live in a society where everything and anything can be offensive when classifications are being made, especially when based on immutable characteristics. Why would he say something like that when 1. Its implicit anyways and, 2. The consequence of not saying it is a bunch of extra pieces of paper being submitted by wIhite males that will get thrown in the garbage.

You seem upset.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Not upset at al. Surprised that a bunch of aspiring lawyers can't read between lines.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Ugh

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:31 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Not upset at al. Surprised that a bunch of aspiring lawyers can't read between lines.

Except you're reading it wrong.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:32 pm

sundance95 wrote:
North wrote:Okay so here's what I'm thinking about taking this semester.

    • Accounting/Corp. Fin with Brooms/Baruza
    • Jurisprudence with Schauer
    • Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn

    and one of either

    • Historic Preservation Law with Wenger
    or
    • Urban Law and Policy with Schragger

Requesting any input on any of these from anybody. It'd make for an awesome, Friday and most of Thursday-free schedule with no class before 11:30 ever.

Taking both Pretrial Lit and Accounting/Corporate Finance seems...odd. Do you want lit or trans?

In the seminar you pretty much do law and motion work, which will prove useful if you are looking at lit but can be boring as a class.

I'm interested in Lit for the most part (with the caveat that I'll do whatever someone will pay me to do), but I think being at least competent when it comes to accounting documents will be valuable no matter what. Earlier this 1L summer I got handed a big stack of them from discovery in a case and it sucked to be all dog-chemistry-set.jpg about it. And if I don't take Acct./Corp. Fin. I'd take Fed Courts in that time slot because I hate myself. And that's not a good idea considering I'm not v good at law school. I'm pretty excited about the pretrial lit class, tbh. Same with jurisprudence.

Not sure how I feel about Urban Law and Historical Preservation Law. Just found out they're significant paper courses, and that'd be weird after all these racehorse exams.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:10 pm

I guess. But be warned. The school doesn't police the whole "you should have no experience in accounting" rule at all.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:I guess. But be warned. The school doesn't police the whole "you should have no experience in accounting" rule at all.
Having taken Acct/Corp finance last semester, I can confirm this to be true.

North: You might want to wait until the Spring. They rotate the profs for them and Barzuza is teaching finance in the Fall. One of my PAs said it might be more prudent to wait. Also, Broome is notoriously B+ heavy even for people with previous accounting experience - if you're looking to raise your GPA in the fall, it might not be a good idea.

[Edit] Fixed to say Barzuza is teaching finance.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Enough bickering
Last edited by Br3v on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
sundance95 wrote:I guess. But be warned. The school doesn't police the whole "you should have no experience in accounting" rule at all.
Having taken Acct/Corp finance last semester, I can confirm this to be true.

North: You might want to wait until the Spring. They rotate the profs for them and Barzuza is teaching finance in the Fall. One of my PAs said it might be more prudent to wait. Also, Broome is notoriously B+ heavy even for people with previous accounting experience - if you're looking to raise your GPA in the fall, it might not be a good idea.

[Edit] Fixed to say Barzuza is teaching finance.


Broome's curve when I took the class and in the year or two before went from A+ to C+, possibly C. Unless something changed, I wouldn't call it B+ heavy at all.

dixon02
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby dixon02 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Not upset at al. Surprised that a bunch of aspiring lawyers can't read between lines.


Speaking of failing to read between the lines, you seem to be failing at reading between the lines that the person you're arguing against was on law review.

I don't know why this has become such a debate, but just to settle it: VLR diversity can mean many things (seriously...look at VLR and tell me if you see many minorities there). It can include race and gender. It can also include sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religion, personal experience/background, etc. White males can check plenty of those boxes. Now let's stop arguing about this because it's stupid and irrelevant.

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:36 pm

What's the curve like in seminar courses? Are As possible? If an A is possible, seems like that would mean a C+ is possible which is...concerning.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:21 pm

olive16 wrote:What's the curve like in seminar courses? Are As possible? If an A is possible, seems like that would mean a C+ is possible which is...concerning.


Depends on the professor. Some are extremely B+ heavy. But I know of one professor who gave out 3 Bs, 1 B+, 1 A-, and 1 A. (As it's not readily apparent, that averages to a 3.333 mean.) Seminars have the same curving standards as normal classes.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby 5ky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:42 pm

pertristis wrote:
olive16 wrote:What's the curve like in seminar courses? Are As possible? If an A is possible, seems like that would mean a C+ is possible which is...concerning.


Depends on the professor. Some are extremely B+ heavy. But I know of one professor who gave out 3 Bs, 1 B+, 1 A-, and 1 A. (As it's not readily apparent, that averages to a 3.333 mean.) Seminars have the same curving standards as normal classes.


Of course, with the much smaller class size, there's a greater possibility the mean GPA of the students could be substantially higher than a 3.3.

I got a B+ in one and was well below median, not just a little below

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm

olive16 wrote:What's the curve like in seminar courses? Are As possible? If an A is possible, seems like that would mean a C+ is possible which is...concerning.

Gunning works in seminars. Profs are desperate for ppl who have read the material and are willing to talk. I took three seminars and got As in all of them by treating them like UG classes, I.e., going to office hours, etc.

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Anyone know about the curve in these seminars specifically:
animal law, anti-terrorism, con theory, legis drafting & public policy, rhetoric seminar

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:23 pm

olive16 wrote:Anyone know about the curve in these seminars specifically:
animal law, anti-terrorism, con theory, legis drafting & public policy, rhetoric seminar

Your question is confusing--the curve is 3.3, subject to the standard exceptions. If you want anything more specific than that you'll have to provide prof names

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:02 am

sundance95 wrote:
olive16 wrote:Anyone know about the curve in these seminars specifically:
animal law, anti-terrorism, con theory, legis drafting & public policy, rhetoric seminar

Your question is confusing--the curve is 3.3, subject to the standard exceptions. If you want anything more specific than that you'll have to provide prof names


i'm good

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:01 am

pertristis wrote:Independent research is often the correct answer, if you have a professor you like working with. Plus, unless you fuck something up, it's generally a credit or two of A.


Does it count towards your GPA?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Br3v » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:06 pm

So I am confused as to signing up for classes.

(1) As 2Ls, on July 10th are we just signing up for ethics/professional classes? Or all classes?
(2) Are we signing up for Fall/J-term and Spring classes? Or just fall/J-term?
(3) I forget, do we need to sign up for the classes on SIS or just through Law Reg when it opens up?

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby jkpolk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Br3v wrote:So I am confused as to signing up for classes.

(1) As 2Ls, on July 10th are we just signing up for ethics/professional classes? Or all classes?
(2) Are we signing up for Fall/J-term and Spring classes? Or just fall/J-term?
(3) I forget, do we need to sign up for the classes on SIS or just through Law Reg when it opens up?


You can only sign up for graduation requirement classes (i.e. Ethics, Writing, Skills), but those classes can happen in the fall, Jterm, or spring. Lottery is run based on preferences you register in LawReg.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Londonbear, ModerateRisk and 3 guests