UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yardbird

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 pm

lookingin wrote:
Br3v wrote:
lookingin wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:Does anyone know if Law Review invites have already gone out? I think they went out right around this time last year. I realize they said they'd come out before 7/12, so there's still plenty of time. This is just me being antsy. :D

Also, what's the historical cut-off, about a 3.73-3.75?

I just got a voicemail inviting me to join :)

Congrats!

Thanks!
Congrats! Do you know if it was grade on or write on? Also, did it seem like they were doing it alphabetically?

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:25 pm

They're not telling people grade on vs. write on on the phone. I think later on you can ask and they'll tell you, but I don't believe they ever mention it otherwise. No idea what order they're calling people in.

North

Postby North » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Patiently waiting for my call, VLR

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Congrats! Do you know if it was grade on or write on? Also, did it seem like they were doing it alphabetically?

They didnt tell me which (and I haven't heard if they do ever tell you how you got on).
Last edited by lookingin on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfr1225

Postby cfr1225 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:They're not telling people grade on vs. write on on the phone. I think later on you can ask and they'll tell you, but I don't believe they ever mention it otherwise. No idea what order they're calling people in.

No one ever officially finds out how they got on.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 pm

cfr1225 wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:They're not telling people grade on vs. write on on the phone. I think later on you can ask and they'll tell you, but I don't believe they ever mention it otherwise. No idea what order they're calling people in.

Safe to say if we didn't get the call today it won't be coming? or have they taken more than one day in the past? Only asking because I'm hoping to start my mass mailing some home market firms tomorrow.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
cfr1225 wrote:

Safe to say if we didn't get the call today it won't be coming? or have they taken more than one day in the past? Only asking because I'm hoping to start my mass mailing some home market firms tomorrow.

If you think you're right at the cusp of the cut-off its probably best to wait. If there is a transfer among those who were invited, or if someone (for god knows what reason) decides to decline the invite, then they *will* be making calls after today. Wait until the thing is public, which won't be long.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
cfr1225 wrote:

If you think you're right at the cusp of the cut-off its probably best to wait. If there is a transfer among those who were invited, or if someone (for god knows what reason) decides to decline the invite, then they *will* be making calls after today. Wait until the thing is public, which won't be long.

Ehh, I wouldn't let it keep you from mass mailing if you're all set and ready to go. Odds are pretty strong that they're done, and at most there's like one or two spots that might open up for the entire class. Worst case scenario, it's a nice update to be able to send (though a pain in the ass to send it).

olive16

Postby olive16 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:47 am

Anyone have a comprehensive list of pass/fail credit/no credit classes? #3LOL

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am

olive16 wrote:Anyone have a comprehensive list of pass/fail credit/no credit classes? #3LOL

Seminar in ethical values
Directed research
Negotiation institute (srsly do this, it's one credit for two Saturdays where you don't need to even feign interest/attention)
1st semester of scotus/appellate clinics (but these aren't guts)

Others?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:00 am

cfr1225 wrote:

Definitely not true. People who note on officially know. People who grade on after 2L year officially know.

And while it might not be "official" in the strictest sense, VLR publicly posts the GPA cutoff outside the office. If your GPA is at or above the cutoff, you might not "officially" be told you graded on, but you'd be a dolt if you didn't know how you got on. If your GPA is below the cutoff and you didn't apply for a diversity spot (or your grades were obviously below the top 33%), you wrote on. The only people who can't be certain how they got on are those who applied for a diversity spot and had grades below the cutoff but above around the 33% mark (a number that can be divined to a certain degree of accuracy, thanks to statistics and a certain disclosure).

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

pertristis wrote:
cfr1225 wrote:

Definitely not true. People who note on officially know. People who grade on after 2L year officially know.

And while it might not be "official" in the strictest sense, VLR publicly posts the GPA cutoff outside the office. If your GPA is at or above the cutoff, you might not "officially" be told you graded on, but you'd be a dolt if you didn't know how you got on. If your GPA is below the cutoff and you didn't apply for a diversity spot (or your grades were obviously below the top 33%), you wrote on. The only people who can't be certain how they got on are those who applied for a diversity spot and had grades below the cutoff but above around the 33% mark (a number that can be divined to a certain degree of accuracy, thanks to statistics and a certain disclosure).

TCR. If you're above the cut-off you graded on. Period. Only if you're top 1/3 and applied to the diversity option (and are not a white male) then, and only then, is it unclear if you wrote on or got on via diversity

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:25 am

sundance95 wrote:
olive16 wrote:Anyone have a comprehensive list of pass/fail credit/no credit classes? #3LOL

Directed research
Negotiation institute (srsly do this, it's one credit for two Saturdays where you don't need to even feign interest/attention)

Others?

I believe the Trial Ad College? Also highly recommended unless you have huge winter break plans. Easy credits, and from what I hear actually a not-so-terrible learning experience.

North

Postby North » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

Okay so here's what I'm thinking about taking this semester.

• Accounting/Corp. Fin with Brooms/Baruza
    • Jurisprudence with Schauer
    • Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn

and one of either

• Historic Preservation Law with Wenger
    or
    • Urban Law and Policy with Schragger

Requesting any input on any of these from anybody. It'd make for an awesome, Friday and most of Thursday-free schedule with no class before 11:30 ever.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:42 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:TCR. If you're above the cut-off you graded on. Period. Only if you're top 1/3 and applied to the diversity option (and are not a white male) then, and only then, is it unclear if you wrote on or got on via diversity
False.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:44 pm

dixon02 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Directed research

Others?

I believe the Trial Ad College? Also highly recommended unless you have huge winter break plans. Easy credits, and from what I hear actually a not-so-terrible learning experience.

Ah great call. Although FYI, some trial ad profs specifically teach against some of the Trial Ad College's practices. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of if you plan on taking regular Trial Ad after the College.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:46 pm

sundance95 wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:TCR. If you're above the cut-off you graded on. Period. Only if you're top 1/3 and applied to the diversity option (and are not a white male) then, and only then, is it unclear if you wrote on or got on via diversity
False.

Yup. They'll look at other things, like statistical skills or wacky real-world experiences.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:49 pm

North wrote:Okay so here's what I'm thinking about taking this semester.

• Accounting/Corp. Fin with Brooms/Baruza
    • Jurisprudence with Schauer
    • Federal Pretrial Litigation with Rottenborn

and one of either

• Historic Preservation Law with Wenger
    or
    • Urban Law and Policy with Schragger

Requesting any input on any of these from anybody. It'd make for an awesome, Friday and most of Thursday-free schedule with no class before 11:30 ever.

Taking both Pretrial Lit and Accounting/Corporate Finance seems...odd. Do you want lit or trans?

In the seminar you pretty much do law and motion work, which will prove useful if you are looking at lit but can be boring as a class.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:50 pm

pertristis wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
False.

Yup. They'll look at other things, like statistical skills or wacky real-world experiences.

This sounds like pure speculation on your part(s) and likely nonsense.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Jurisprudence with Schauer is a pretty good class, very opaque grading system, it's basically him lecturing for 90% of class about philosophy of law, and a little half-assed discussion. Do yourself a favor and do as many of the graded essays as early as possible bc he gives basically no feedback later on in the semester and I feel like those essays almost all get B+ grades.

Trial-Ad college is great, 2 credits for one week of work, no grades. I learned a good bit, even though I had already taken the regular trial ad class. It really is just a rehash of trial ad though. You get a good amount of actual practice doing directs, crosses, openings and closings, as opposed to some trial ad sections.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
pertristis wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
False.

This sounds like pure speculation on your part(s) and likely nonsense.

If you want to call what the 2011–2012 VLR Managing Editor (or Notes Development Editor, as I can't immediately find a masthead) said at the pre-tryout meeting "pure speculation" and "likely nonsense," go ahead.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Right.... It would've been much more likely for him to just come out n say something inflammatory like "white males, don't bother"

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Right.... It would've been much more likely for him to just come out n say something inflammatory like "white males, don't bother"

Is that really so inflammatory?

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:56 pm

polkij333 wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Right.... It would've been much more likely for him to just come out n say something inflammatory like "white males, don't bother"

Of course. We live in a society where everything and anything can be offensive when classifications are being made, especially when based on immutable characteristics. Why would he say something like that when 1. Its implicit anyways and, 2. The consequence of not saying it is a bunch of extra pieces of paper being submitted by white males that will get thrown in the garbage.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:01 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
polkij333 wrote:

Of course. We live in a society where everything and anything can be offensive when classifications are being made, especially when based on immutable characteristics. Why would he say something like that when 1. Its implicit anyways and, 2. The consequence of not saying it is a bunch of extra pieces of paper being submitted by white males that will get thrown in the garbage.

This is VLR, which gets boners about law and economics. Maybe he said it because they actually want someone who can ensure that the analysis done by law-and-economics professors isn't complete bullshit?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”