UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
defdef

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby defdef » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Trout et al wrote:Cville is awesome for running. Running at the park after dark is credited because it is well lit because of intramurals going on at night during the school year.

That makes me happy.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Any idea when the law review decision for write-on comes out?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:23 pm

First Offense wrote:Any idea when the law review decision for write-on comes out?
I vaguely remember "late June-early July, and before OGI bids are due" coming from someone. I may have also imagined that.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:27 pm

seems like everything is happening later this year, can't believe we don't even have a class schedule to look at yet

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:00 pm

anon sequitur wrote:seems like everything is happening later this year, can't believe we don't even have a class schedule to look at yet
This is updated for Fall 2014 now: http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/mySIS/CS2 ... &Group=LAW

Looks like Dean Geis and Dean Mahoney are both teaching 1L Contracts next semester, GE White isn't teaching 1Ls at all, and section A will have Kordana AND Mitchell.

defdef

Postby defdef » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:15 pm

have to get a new cell phone plan for my wife and i. trying to find out what's best for charlottesville in terms of coverage. according to internet reviews it seems like everything is pretty terrible, but is there a least terrible option?

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:19 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:seems like everything is happening later this year, can't believe we don't even have a class schedule to look at yet
This is updated for Fall 2014 now: http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/mySIS/CS2 ... &Group=LAW

Looks like Dean Geis and Dean Mahoney are both teaching 1L Contracts next semester, GE White isn't teaching 1Ls at all, and section A will have Kordana AND Mitchell.

Who's Paul Mitchell? Is that a typo?

Edit: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. He goes by his middle name. Those poor bastards that end up with him. If you're a redheaded female, I recommend attempting to transfer sections.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:56 pm

First Offense wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

Edit: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. He goes by his middle name. Those poor bastards that end up with him. If you're a redheaded female, I recommend attempting to transfer sections.

He's a great guy, and legitimately cares about his students. It's a joke to entertain the class, because he realizes the material is boring as hell. Chill with the hate.

Heat

Postby Heat » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:23 pm

defdef wrote:have to get a new cell phone plan for my wife and i. trying to find out what's best for charlottesville in terms of coverage. according to internet reviews it seems like everything is pretty terrible, but is there a least terrible option?

I have Verizon and never had any coverage problems in cville, except maybe during massive events like in the middle of a football game.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm

defdef wrote:have to get a new cell phone plan for my wife and i. trying to find out what's best for charlottesville in terms of coverage. according to internet reviews it seems like everything is pretty terrible, but is there a least terrible option?

I think Verizon's the best in town, AT&T is okay and T-Mobile is significantly worse. However, I have T-Mobile since it's much cheaper and I almost always get voice coverage fine, it's just data coverage and speed that is spotty (mediocre to bad).

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 pm

PepperJack wrote:
First Offense wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:

He's a great guy, and legitimately cares about his students. It's a joke to entertain the class, because he realizes the material is boring as hell. Chill with the hate.

Was a joke - I had him for Evidence and really enjoyed it.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:57 pm

I recently got a new phone with Republic Wireless. When you're connected to wifi, calls go over wifi. If you're away from wifi calls go over Sprint with roaming onto Verizon if Sprint isn't available.

Coverage in C'ville has been good. Wifi is pretty good all around the school, and unlimited calls and 3G data is $25/month. You would need to pay up-front for the phone, but I prefer the low monthly payment, so it has been a great deal.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:51 am

I have AT&T and would recommend Verizon. I have had service drops throughout Charlottesville in areas where people have Verizon service - parts of the law school and my apartment are two specific examples.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:59 am

I have Sprint and lose coverage fairly frequently (in the meat department of Harris Teeter and in the Law School).

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:44 am

In C'Ville, Verizon is the only answer. Had ATT for the first two years, and it was a train wreck, especially at the law school. Signal is substantially improved with Verizon.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:00 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
I have AT&T and would recommend Verizon. I have had service drops throughout Charlottesville in areas where people have Verizon service - parts of the law school and my apartment are two specific examples.
pertristis wrote:In C'Ville, Verizon is the only answer. Had ATT for the first two years, and it was a train wreck, especially at the law school. Signal is substantially improved with Verizon.
I'll add to my previous statement that I would have switched over to Verizon as soon as I got to Cville if I wasn't on my parents plan (I even looked into getting my own plan to get better service, but couldn't justify the extra cost over staying on my parents'). Also, one of the main "1L" apartments (the Pavilion) does not have good (or any) AT&T service on most floors - I believe they specifically installed Verizon signal boosters throughout the building. My building (the Jeffersonian) also has deadzones.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 pm

With an eye toward scheduling, would it be too much to take Corporations, Evidence, and Legislation next semester? I'd round it out w/ 2 hours (credits?) of Directed Research (already have this set up essentially) to take 12 credits.

Also, is 12 credits recommended given the demands of OGI?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:35 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:With an eye toward scheduling, would it be too much to take Corporations, Evidence, and Legislation next semester? I'd round it out w/ 2 hours (credits?) of Directed Research (already have this set up essentially) to take 12 credits.

I don't think the number of credits really matters, OGI will be over in full force by mid-end Sept. That's plenty of time to catch up and stuff.

I think taking those three is fine. Taking four substantive exam classes isn't something Id recommend, though. I did it 2L fall and it sucked.

albanach

Postby albanach » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:37 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:With an eye toward scheduling, would it be too much to take Corporations, Evidence, and Legislation next semester? I'd round it out w/ 2 hours (credits?) of Directed Research (already have this set up essentially) to take 12 credits.

If you have a good GPA you can anticipate several callbacks. Yes, keeping your hours low probably makes sense.

Those three classes would probably be fine. Evidence can be quite a lot of rules to learn. Both it and corporations have the potential to be dull or entertaining depending on the professor. That said, there's a ton of good supplements for both, so missing classes for callbacks will be less important so long as you keep up.

I enjoyed legislation a lot, though I took it with Armacost, but I think I would have benefited from taking it as a 3L. YMMV.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 pm

I took 16 hours my OGI semester, with three substantive courses. It was an idiotic choice. Keep it at 12, and backload. Also, do yourself a favor and make sure those professors record classes. If they don't, you might want to choose other classes.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Are the bundles offered by the comp. store worth it? For the macbook air in particular, the uva one is several hundred dollars more than what apple offers. I know that comes with on grounds support, microsoft office and such, but is the added expense worth the few extra perks?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:43 pm

monsterman wrote:Are the bundles offered by the comp. store worth it? For the macbook air in particular, the uva one is several hundred dollars more than what apple offers. I know that comes with on grounds support, microsoft office and such, but is the added expense worth the few extra perks?

Several hundred? The law package I see is $1499.00. A similarly equipped Air (1.4 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Applecare) from Apple's education store is $1422. So you're looking at $77 (before taxes). You can get Office from Courts & Commerce for $10. (The package supposedly has the full version, but I'm not sure if that's the full consumer version or the full student version. Either way, you're getting the same programs). That brings the Apple price to $1432. That last $67 is for the UVA restoration software and supposedly enhanced repair services. You already have AppleCare, and there are multiple Apple certified repair locations in town. Personally, the "enhancement" is not worth $67.

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

pertristis wrote:
monsterman wrote:Are the bundles offered by the comp. store worth it? For the macbook air in particular, the uva one is several hundred dollars more than what apple offers. I know that comes with on grounds support, microsoft office and such, but is the added expense worth the few extra perks?

Several hundred? The law package I see is $1499.00. A similarly equipped Air (1.4 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Applecare) from Apple's education store is $1422. So you're looking at $77 (before taxes). You can get Office from Courts & Commerce for $10. (The package supposedly has the full version, but I'm not sure if that's the full consumer version or the full student version. Either way, you're getting the same programs). That brings the Apple price to $1432. That last $67 is for the UVA restoration software and supposedly enhanced repair services. You already have AppleCare, and there are multiple Apple certified repair locations in town. Personally, the "enhancement" is not worth $67.

eh I missed the extras added onto the UVA one. And thanks for that!

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm

pertristis wrote:Personally, the "enhancement" is not worth $67.

Perhaps you have access to another laptop. For anyone who does not, I'd consider the loaner option to easily be worth $67. My new laptop died a couple of days before my CivPro exam. I had a spare laptop so it wasn't a problem. If I didn't have a spare or access to a loaner, it would have been messy.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

albanach wrote:
pertristis wrote:Personally, the "enhancement" is not worth $67.

Perhaps you have access to another laptop. For anyone who does not, I'd consider the loaner option to easily be worth $67. My new laptop died a couple of days before my CivPro exam. I had a spare laptop so it wasn't a problem. If I didn't have a spare or access to a loaner, it would have been messy.
Step 1 - buy laptop from
Best Buy.
Step 2 - take exam
Step 3 - return laptop

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”