UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
olive16

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 pm

pertristis wrote:
olive16 wrote:For whatever reason, it can take days (weeks, even) for a grade to show up on SIS after the professor submits it to SR. The discrepancy between when a prof submitted the grade and when it shows up on SIS is befuddling.

Since my fiancée was an adjunct on main grounds last semester, I got to see the other side of posting grades. I assure you, it's even more of a clusterfuck than what we see on our end.

Go on...

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 pm

She did her grades in a different UVA system (I forget which one), and imported them into SIS. Or, should I say—she attempted to import them into SIS. SIS wouldn't take them. And despite their being drop-down menus where one should theoretically should be able to manually enter grades, SIS refused to let her manually enter the grades. So if a professor misses a grade deadline, don't assume it's his/her fault.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 pm

pertristis wrote:She did her grades in a different UVA system (I forget which one), and imported them into SIS. Or, should I say—she attempted to import them into SIS. SIS wouldn't take them. And despite their being drop-down menus where one should theoretically should be able to manually enter grades, SIS refused to let her manually enter the grades. So if a professor misses a grade deadline, don't assume it's his/her fault.

Technically it is still their "fault." Waiting till the last minute then stumbling across difficulty doesn't seem that great of an excuse. But thank you for this view from the other side (and don't take this as me calling out your SO, I'm not.)

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:42 pm

Br3v wrote:
pertristis wrote:She did her grades in a different UVA system (I forget which one), and imported them into SIS. Or, should I say—she attempted to import them into SIS. SIS wouldn't take them. And despite their being drop-down menus where one should theoretically should be able to manually enter grades, SIS refused to let her manually enter the grades. So if a professor misses a grade deadline, don't assume it's his/her fault.

Technically it is still their "fault." Waiting till the last minute then stumbling across difficulty doesn't seem that great of an excuse. But thank you for this view from the other side (and don't take this as me calling out your SO, I'm not.)

She could have attempted to submit two days before the deadline, and given the time it took ITC to fix the problem, her grades still would have been "late." I even attempted to fix the problem, using the documentation provided to her, to no avail.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:46 pm

pertristis wrote:
Br3v wrote:

She could have attempted to submit two days before the deadline, and given the time it took ITC to fix the problem, her grades still would have been "late." I even attempted to fix the problem, using the documentation provided to her, to no avail.

I'm just being hyper technical and probably didn't deserve a reply lol

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Br3v wrote:
pertristis wrote:
Br3v wrote:

I'm just being hyper technical and probably didn't deserve a reply lol

It's more fun to reply than bar study.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm

It's early June, you should really be focused on feeling guilty about not studying for the bar rather than studying for the bar.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 am

thesealocust wrote:It's early June, you should really be focused on feeling guilty about not studying for the bar rather than studying for the bar.

I'm still convinced that C&O is the only bar I need.

DMXdawg

Postby DMXdawg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 am

Any idea what the median GPA is for graduating 3Ls? I'd like to know if I'm above or below median.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:27 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Any idea what the median GPA is for graduating 3Ls? I'd like to know if I'm above or below median.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm

PepperJack wrote:
DMXdawg wrote:Any idea what the median GPA is for graduating 3Ls? I'd like to know if I'm above or below median.

At least, B+s are so c/o 2013 :lol:

Anonanonymous

Postby Anonanonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Edit
Last edited by Anonanonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:

Seriously though, any thoughts? Safe to assume 3.3+ is above median? 3.35+? Would be helpful to know how to represent ourselves during any potential lateral moves.

I don't think anyone has any idea exactly

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
Anonanonymous wrote:

Seriously though, any thoughts? Safe to assume 3.3+ is above median? 3.35+? Would be helpful to know how to represent ourselves during any potential lateral moves.

I don't think anyone has any idea exactly
If you assume the graduating median is similar to the rising 3L median that leaked, it's probably around a 3.4x

Anonanonymous

Postby Anonanonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:55 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonanonymous on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:58 pm

I don't know if that's a correct assumption. 2/3rds of those rising 3Ls' grades were when they were really trying, as opposed to perhaps only 1/3rd of the grades of the people who just graduated.

Anonanonymous

Postby Anonanonymous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonanonymous on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Anonanonymous wrote:Also true, and more evidence that the median is somewhere in the 3.3x range. Career services or the school needs to clarify this for recent alums.

And who benefits from it being clarified. At the moment, you can say the school had a B+ median for most of the time you were there and the median may have been fractionally higher in your final year. If the school says the median is actually 3.365 or something it only hurts.

Personally I don't care one way or another. I can't even see any sensible employer considering a tenth of a gpa point as meaning much after three or so years experience. But I don't see anyone benefiting from a median being announced, only some students being disadvantaged.

defdef

Postby defdef » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 am

Might be a silly question, but how safe is North Grounds/the Park for late night jogging?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:44 am

safe

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 am

defdef wrote:Might be a silly question, but how safe is North Grounds/the Park for late night jogging?

Cville is awesome for running. Running at the park after dark is credited because it is well lit because of intramurals going on at night during the school year. Running in the area is vary safe but I probably wouldn't run in the downtown area at midnight because assaults have happened (though not to runners to my knowledge).

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 am

Very, but barracks road shopping center gets a little weird late at night.

Twiqbal

Postby Twiqbal » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:36 am

5ky wrote:Very, but barracks road shopping center gets a little weird late at night.

Danger increases in that area when one is carrying bottled water.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/uva-bottled-water-lawsuit_n_4551099.html

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:41 am

Even in bad neighborhoods runners make poor mugging targets. They're fast, already running and don't carry wallets.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:58 pm

PepperJack wrote:Even in bad neighborhoods runners make poor mugging targets. They're fast, already running and don't carry wallets.

I think this is mostly true, though many runners do openly carry shiny iphones worth > $500 which may be easier to convert into cash than a stolen bank card. For running at night it could make a lot of sense to have a no-contract disposable phone and use an iPod shuffle. A quick glance at google suggests runners have been targeted for their phones in other cities.

Still, as others point out, Charlottesville is pretty safe and runners don't make great targets for opportunistic thieves.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”