UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby sundance95 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:03 am

5ky wrote:The fact that you seemingly made a profile - or an alt - to complain about a staff member doesn't reflect well on you.

And yet he is 100% correct. There are numerous--numerous--anecdotes of Ruth Payne actually being counter-productive to UVA students' clerkship efforts, including discouraging individuals from applying to clerkships that they actually received. In another instance, she failed to simply talk to a federal judge alum at a law school event who had made overtures indicating that he wanted to start a pipeline. The judge was understandably confused and offended. I am not aware of a single member of the clerkship-competitive segment of the class that has a positive view of her. They feel they got clerkships despite her, not because of her.

These are the reasons that the law school should move on from her--not this unfortunate mistake. But as has been said, if this is the catalyst, then so be it. The major profs can continue to serve as the CoA/scotus pipelines, but we need a vague-add at that position for district judges and the like, not just someone who is good at spreadsheets.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:23 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
ncc5 wrote:So you can't just like, tell us what it is?
rising 2L here, but my guess would be the school immediately sent out an email saying not to disseminate what happened on the students' honor or something.
anonuser3 wrote:Can the school please fire Ruth Payne now? Not just for this, but for everything else.
I may be wrong about this, but Ruth Payne single handedly increased the amount of UVA students clerking, thereby increasing the value of everyone's degree somewhat. I doubt she'll get fired over this.


This is one of the more egregiously stupid statements I've ever seen posted on TLS.

1. What's your basis for such a statement? Do you know when she was hired? Do you know what UVA's clerkship numbers looked then?
2. Even if so, how do you know that Ruth Payne was responsible? Attending such a fine institution as UVA surely you are aware that correlation does NOT equal CAUSATION, right? There are a lot of other forces at work here, namely some absolutely fantastic professors.
3. Have you ever spoken with Ruth Payne? Worked with her on clerkship matters? If you had, I suspect the thought of even uttering the bolded statement would make your stomach turn.
Just because your personal experience was bad doesn't mean others didn't find her helpful. I'm not saying she's the best (I've heard stories of her discouraging people from applying to clerkship that they were competitive for). But the clerkship office didn't exist before she got here. Yes professors and the economy have something to do with it, but an increase in clerkships in one year by almost 30% can be attributed a lot to her. You're also on a forum that provides a lot of guidance on clerkship applications. The majority of applicants probably relied on her. Even small things like explaining the application procedure and timeline had helped students. Also, anecdotally, I'm sure career services tells some people not to waste bids on certain firms - they are honestly just trying to maximize our chances given what they know about us. To an extent that's the same with her, though sending out an extra application for a clerkship wouldn't really be all that difficult.

And yes, I have spoken to her a number of times about certain things, and she was helpful each time.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... kships.htm

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Just because your personal experience was bad doesn't mean others didn't find her helpful. I'm not saying she's the best (I've heard stories of her discouraging people from applying to clerkship that they were competitive for). But the clerkship office didn't exist before she got here. Yes professors and the economy have something to do with it, but an increase in clerkships in one year by almost 30% can be attributed a lot to her. You're also on a forum that provides a lot of guidance on clerkship applications. The majority of applicants probably relied on her. Even small things like explaining the application procedure and timeline had helped students. Also, anecdotally, I'm sure career services tells some people not to waste bids on certain firms - they are honestly just trying to maximize our chances given what they know about us. To an extent that's the same with her, though sending out an extra application for a clerkship wouldn't really be all that difficult.

And yes, I have spoken to her a number of times about certain things, and she was helpful each time.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... kships.htm



shadowofjazz wrote:rising 2L here...



Your argument is invalid, but thanks for playing!

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

olive16 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Just because your personal experience was bad doesn't mean others didn't find her helpful. I'm not saying she's the best (I've heard stories of her discouraging people from applying to clerkship that they were competitive for). But the clerkship office didn't exist before she got here. Yes professors and the economy have something to do with it, but an increase in clerkships in one year by almost 30% can be attributed a lot to her. You're also on a forum that provides a lot of guidance on clerkship applications. The majority of applicants probably relied on her. Even small things like explaining the application procedure and timeline had helped students. Also, anecdotally, I'm sure career services tells some people not to waste bids on certain firms - they are honestly just trying to maximize our chances given what they know about us. To an extent that's the same with her, though sending out an extra application for a clerkship wouldn't really be all that difficult.

And yes, I have spoken to her a number of times about certain things, and she was helpful each time.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... kships.htm



shadowofjazz wrote:rising 2L here...



Your argument is invalid, but thanks for playing!
Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
olive16 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Just because your personal experience was bad doesn't mean others didn't find her helpful. I'm not saying she's the best (I've heard stories of her discouraging people from applying to clerkship that they were competitive for). But the clerkship office didn't exist before she got here. Yes professors and the economy have something to do with it, but an increase in clerkships in one year by almost 30% can be attributed a lot to her. You're also on a forum that provides a lot of guidance on clerkship applications. The majority of applicants probably relied on her. Even small things like explaining the application procedure and timeline had helped students. Also, anecdotally, I'm sure career services tells some people not to waste bids on certain firms - they are honestly just trying to maximize our chances given what they know about us. To an extent that's the same with her, though sending out an extra application for a clerkship wouldn't really be all that difficult.

And yes, I have spoken to her a number of times about certain things, and she was helpful each time.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/news/2 ... kships.htm



shadowofjazz wrote:rising 2L here...



Your argument is invalid, but thanks for playing!
Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.


Hahaha her job isn't about helping people get clerkships? Isn't that what you JUST said we should be praising her for?
Tell me, rising 2L, what then is her job about? Helping you decide where to get lunch in cville? Giving directions to get to the wineries? Helping students NOT to get clerkships? You really just don't know what you're talking about do you. When every rising 3L with a clerkship tells you she was at best worthless, and more likely a net negative, you should listen.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.


Whilst her position entails more than just clerkships, her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships."

Also, his or her argument is not an ad hominem argument: Because you're a rising 2L, and because only 2Ls and 3Ls actively seek clerkships (yes, there are very rare judges who will hire after 1L, but that's by far the exception and not the norm), your current law school status is not an irrelevant fact and does impact the weight of your statement.

Here's an actual ad hominem: You can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're," so what makes you think you can comment on Ms. Payne's effectiveness?
Last edited by pertristis on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:25 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
Hahaha her job isn't about helping people get clerkships? Isn't that what you JUST said we should be praising her for?
Tell me, rising 2L, what then is her job about? Helping you decide where to get lunch in cville? Giving directions to get to the wineries? Helping students NOT to get clerkships? You really just don't know what you're talking about do you. When every rising 3L with a clerkship tells you she was at best worthless, and more likely a net negative, you should listen.


She met with me my 1L year regarding post-1L summer jobs, including plenty of non-judicial jobs.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am

pertristis wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.


Whilst it's her position entails more than just clerkships, her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships."

Also, his or her argument is not an ad hominem argument: Because you're a rising 2L, and because only 2Ls and 3Ls actively seek clerkships (yes, there are very rare judges who will hire after 1L, but that's by far the exception and not the norm), your current law school status is not an irrelevant fact and does impact the weight of your statement.

Here's an actual ad hominem: You can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're," so what makes you think you can comment on Ms. Payne's effectiveness?


Lol it's amazing how many people don't understand what an ad hominem is. I got into an argument with some very uneducated people the other day about that and they just had no idea. The example you gave is perfect but it's incredible how many people can't differentiate between that and something like, "Africa is a continent not a country; you're ignorant."

Anyway sorry for sidetracking you guys!

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby olive16 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:28 am

What exactly is your point? That Ruth Payne might have helped a few people during her career?

Unlike you, my friends and I have been through the clerkship application process. I haven't surveyed the entire 3L class, but I haven't encountered a single person who thought Ruth Payne was helpful. What's more, her advice has actually harmed several people (told them they weren't competitive for clerkships they eventually got, told them a particular judge wasn't hiring when she was, etc.).

Feel free to respond with more delightful generalities like, "Just because your personal experience was bad doesn't mean others didn't find her helpful." But until you and your friends have been through the CS application process, stfu.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am

pertristis wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.


Whilst her position entails more than just clerkships, her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships."

Also, his or her argument is not an ad hominem argument: Because you're a rising 2L, and because only 2Ls and 3Ls actively seek clerkships (yes, there are very rare judges who will hire after 1L, but that's by far the exception and not the norm), your current law school status is not an irrelevant fact and does impact the weight of your statement.

Here's an actual ad hominem: You can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're," so what makes you think you can comment on Ms. Payne's effectiveness?
Just because I'm a rising 2L doesn't mean I don't know people who have gone through the clerkship process and found her helpful. Attacking someone's argument because he or she is a rising 2L and insinuating he or she doesn't know what he or she is talking about because of that is 100% an ad hominem argument - just like your little hypothetical argument above (and for the record, my phone autocorrected to "you're"). Yes her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships," but I know many 1Ls who received good advice for intern applications for this summer and since the clerkship timeline has moved up significantly, she has also given us advice on the clerkship application process and timeline moving forward. Also very helpful. My rising 3L friends and friends who graduated who are clerking also found her helpful.

I'm not attacking your position that she is unhelpful at times, I'm just providing another view of her and what she's done that gives a better picture than the one sided arguments being made so far.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:19 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
pertristis wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Not quite, her job isn't just about helping get clerkships. Also, you're argument is an ad hominem.


Whilst her position entails more than just clerkships, her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships."

Also, his or her argument is not an ad hominem argument: Because you're a rising 2L, and because only 2Ls and 3Ls actively seek clerkships (yes, there are very rare judges who will hire after 1L, but that's by far the exception and not the norm), your current law school status is not an irrelevant fact and does impact the weight of your statement.

Here's an actual ad hominem: You can't tell the difference between "your" and "you're," so what makes you think you can comment on Ms. Payne's effectiveness?
Just because I'm a rising 2L doesn't mean I don't know people who have gone through the clerkship process and found her helpful. Attacking someone's argument because he or she is a rising 2L and insinuating he or she doesn't know what he or she is talking about because of that is 100% an ad hominem argument - just like your little hypothetical argument above (and for the record, my phone autocorrected to "you're"). Yes her title is "Director of Judicial Clerkships," but I know many 1Ls who received good advice for intern applications for this summer and since the clerkship timeline has moved up significantly, she has also given us advice on the clerkship application process and timeline moving forward. Also very helpful. My rising 3L friends and friends who graduated who are clerking also found her helpful.

I'm not attacking your position that she is unhelpful at times, I'm just providing another view of her and what she's done that gives a better picture than the one sided arguments being made so far.


While there's something to be said for presenting both sides of an argument I can't help but conclude that you're just concocting nonsense in order to maintain the illusion that there's two sides here. If there are any such rising 3Ls as you've described, I've yet to meet them. Nor have I heard stories of their existence third-hand.

So she gave you the timeline of applying to judicial internships for 1L summer. WOW, big deal ! One of your PAs surely could've done this. Or simpler yet, a 2 page manual.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Yardbird » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:28 pm


User avatar
Gooner91
Posts: 1376
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:29 pm

I think shadow is taking about an ad hominem circumstantial (similar to a genetic fallacy) and the rest of you are talking about an hominem abusive. I don't necessarily think it was either type but there seemed to be some confusion.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby North » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:48 pm


Looks like our median is actually like a 3.4. Great.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:59 pm

North wrote:

Looks like our median is actually like a 3.4. Great.

Those are rising 3Ls - 1L Median probably is smack dab at 3.3.

How do you get over a 4.0?

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Gooner91 wrote:I think shadow is taking about an ad hominem circumstantial (similar to a genetic fallacy) and the rest of you are talking about an hominem abusive. I don't necessarily think it was either type but there seemed to be some confusion.


[strike]I was referring to[/strike] My example was definitely ad hominem abusive. Thanks for clearing that up.

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm

First Offense wrote:
North wrote:

Looks like our median is actually like a 3.4. Great.

Those are rising 3Ls - 1L Median probably is smack dab at 3.3.

How do you get over a 4.0?


The A+ grade does exist.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:07 pm

pertristis wrote:
First Offense wrote:
North wrote:

Looks like our median is actually like a 3.4. Great.

Those are rising 3Ls - 1L Median probably is smack dab at 3.3.

How do you get over a 4.0?


The A+ grade does exist.

Dayum. I want me one of those.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 pm



I wonder if whoever forwarded confidential information to ATL was smart enough to not use their UVA email account? From the IT policy:

"[O]fficials overseeing the University’s disciplinary processes may rule that electronic communications and files are evidence that may be reviewed as part of investigations. Under these circumstances, the privacy of your email and other files is not guaranteed."

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6380
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby First Offense » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:14 pm

albanach wrote:


I wonder if whoever forwarded confidential information to ATL was smart enough to not use their UVA email account? From the IT policy:

"[O]fficials overseeing the University’s disciplinary processes may rule that electronic communications and files are evidence that may be reviewed as part of investigations. Under these circumstances, the privacy of your email and other files is not guaranteed."

If they went after the leaker, it would be a fucking nightmare. UVA would be back on ATL in a second.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 pm

First Offense wrote:If they went after the leaker, it would be a fucking nightmare. UVA would be back on ATL in a second.


In what way would it be bad for the school to be seen to attempt to protect confidential information?

Edited to add, whoever forwarded that email is either very confident that they won't be caught, or has never seen a Bar Association's Character and Fitness Questionnaire. As an aspiring attorney, I wouldn't want to be explaining to the Bar that I have difficulty keeping confidences.
Last edited by albanach on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm

First Offense wrote:
pertristis wrote:
The A+ grade does exist.

Dayum. I want me one of those.


Where A+ exists, C grades are rarely far away.

DMXdawg
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby DMXdawg » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Did UVa change their grading policies? I'm assuming ATL marked the GPAs based on class rank. 3.6 at 25% is a marked difference from 3.48 when I was a 1L.

turkeysub
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby turkeysub » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:53 pm

DMXdawg wrote:Did UVa change their grading policies? I'm assuming ATL marked the GPAs based on class rank. 3.6 at 25% is a marked difference from 3.48 when I was a 1L.


Speaking of which, anyone have a hunch of whether it's like this for c/o 2014?

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:54 pm

albanach wrote:
First Offense wrote:
pertristis wrote:
The A+ grade does exist.

Dayum. I want me one of those.


Where A+ exists, C grades are rarely far away.


In one of my 1L classes, there were 3 A+s. I forgot what the other side looked like.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests