UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pertristis

Re: UVA Law Students Taking Questions

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Withdrawn.
Last edited by pertristis on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:01 pm

huh?

turn left

Postby turn left » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Yeah, completely lost?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 pm

If it's about my post, ignore it. If it's about the general discussion, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

pertristis wrote:If it's about my post, ignore it. If it's about the general discussion, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.
The suspense is killing me.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Is Friday or Monday the deadline for grade submission?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Monday.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:17 pm

While I wait anxiously to find out what people are talking about....does anyone know where we can access the recorded OGI webinars? It should just be the resume one at this point, but I don't have any idea where to find it. Thanks.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 pm

What happened here?

anonuser3

Postby anonuser3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Can the school please fire Ruth Payne now? Not just for this, but for everything else.

playpowerball

Postby playpowerball » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:57 pm

did you guys get an email or something?

Demeter

Postby Demeter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm still in shock. Such a mess.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34 pm

dont worry about it.

(knows this post has the opposite effect of its stated purpose) (fuggit you'll all know soon enough)

while im at it, poor taste not to save it for friday at 6pm amirite??

btw if anyone sends the primary source to anyone that didn't already have it, fuck you so hard.

ncc5

Postby ncc5 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:39 pm

So you can't just like, tell us what it is?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:45 pm

ncc5 wrote:So you can't just like, tell us what it is?
rising 2L here, but my guess would be the school immediately sent out an email saying not to disseminate what happened on the students' honor or something.
anonuser3 wrote:Can the school please fire Ruth Payne now? Not just for this, but for everything else.
I may be wrong about this, but Ruth Payne single handedly increased the amount of UVA students clerking, thereby increasing the value of everyone's degree somewhat. I doubt she'll get fired over this.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:48 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
rising 2L here, but my guess would be the school immediately sent out an email saying not to disseminate what happened on the students' honor or something.
anonuser3 wrote:Can the school please fire Ruth Payne now? Not just for this, but for everything else.
I may be wrong about this, but Ruth Payne single handedly increased the amount of UVA students clerking, thereby increasing the value of everyone's degree somewhat. I doubt she'll get fired over this.

Dean Geis did in fact send out several emails, but he didn't forbid us from talking about the situation. I think most people just have more tact than to talk about it on a public forum.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:55 pm

hahaha, honor code. incredibly well executed joke

anonuser3

Postby anonuser3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

Ruth Payne did not "single handedly" increase the number of UVA students who clerk. Employment has dropped off in the private sector and more people are now looking to clerk as a substitute. People are clerking at state courts, in bankruptcy courts, and for magistrates whereas before they would've secured biglaw jobs.

I landed a federal clerkship I'm happy with, but Ruth was no help whatsoever in that process. I've never heard anyone who has actually gone through the clerkship process say anything positive about her, but I'd be happy to read that opinion if it exists.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 pm

lol @ the cloak and dagger bullshit, makes it look way sketchier than it was.

A crop of personal data got accidentally distributed to a broad list of students. Hardly the first time something like that has happened and surely won't be the last.

daleearnhardt123

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:42 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:

This is one of the more egregiously stupid statements I've ever seen posted on TLS.

1. What's your basis for such a statement? Do you know when she was hired? Do you know what UVA's clerkship numbers looked then?
2. Even if so, how do you know that Ruth Payne was responsible? Attending such a fine institution as UVA surely you are aware that correlation does NOT equal CAUSATION, right? There are a lot of other forces at work here, namely some absolutely fantastic professors.
3. Have you ever spoken with Ruth Payne? Worked with her on clerkship matters? If you had, I suspect the thought of even uttering the bolded statement would make your stomach turn.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 pm

thesealocust wrote:lol @ the cloak and dagger bullshit, makes it look way sketchier than it was.

A crop of personal data got accidentally distributed to a broad list of students. Hardly the first time something like that has happened and surely won't be the last.

Eagerly awaiting them calling for their own heads the first time they send something to the wrong group of people in practice.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:35 pm

5ky wrote:
thesealocust wrote:lol @ the cloak and dagger bullshit, makes it look way sketchier than it was.

Eagerly awaiting them calling for their own heads the first time they send something to the wrong group of people in practice.

This. I can't think of a person who doesn't at least have one email snafu story from their time in the professional world.

anonuser3

Postby anonuser3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm not calling for her head because of this single mistake. Absent this incident, I think she was incompetent, unhelpful, and combative. I would recommend her termination without this incident. This just serves as a catalyst.

anonuser3

Postby anonuser3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:45 pm

I should add that Professor Heytens (faculty clerkship adviser) was extremely helpful and accessible. UVA faculty/staff are, generally speaking, outstanding. My issue is with Ruth.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:26 am

The fact that you seemingly made a profile - or an alt - to complain about a staff member doesn't reflect well on you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”