UVA Law Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ReelectClayDavis

Re: UVA 1L taking questions

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Any of the 1Ls on UVA's health insurance policy have information on what is the earliest date that 0Ls can have coverage start? I'm assuming we can't enroll until August 16th or so, but can the coverage be retroactive to August 1st at least?

It would be ideal if I could transition straight from my job's health insurance to the university plan without paying for COBRA in between (or going without insurance), so if anyone has ideas on how to do this or who to contact, thanks in advance.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Any of the 1Ls on UVA's health insurance policy have information on what is the earliest date that 0Ls can have coverage start? I'm assuming we can't enroll until August 16th or so, but can the coverage be retroactive to August 1st at least?

It would be ideal if I could transition straight from my job's health insurance to the university plan without paying for COBRA in between (or going without insurance), so if anyone has ideas on how to do this or who to contact, thanks in advance.

They mention an early start period beginning on Aug 1 you can opt into. http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance/Premium1011.html

enzo66

Postby enzo66 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Are there any other health insurance options in the VA area that are worth consideration? The school's program would be over $400 a month for me. It seems like it has decent benefits, but are there any other good plans available that are cheaper?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:46 pm

enzo66 wrote:Are there any other health insurance options in the VA area that are worth consideration? The school's program would be over $400 a month for me. It seems like it has decent benefits, but are there any other good plans available that are cheaper?

You can shop around for any private health insurance plan and just give UVA proof of current health insurance. I know some people who did go cheaper, but they did so by going with high-deductible insurance.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Stringer Bell wrote: They mention an early start period beginning on Aug 1 you can opt into. http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance/Premium1011.html

Good find, but based on my convo with the student health insurance liaison (she just called me back), I'm afraid we law students don't qualify for this.

She didn't say exactly why we can't get insurance before August 15th, but I imagine its because as the website says "Students enrolled in programs with early official start dates may pay a small supplemental premium," and our official start date is not until the 18th (or maybe the 16th if they count enrollment day). Going to contact the law school directly to make sure, will post an update afterwards.

vanwinkle wrote:You can shop around for any private health insurance plan and just give UVA proof of current health insurance. I know some people who did go cheaper, but they did so by going with high-deductible insurance.

Anyone know the names of some decent high deductible private plans? Haven't had the pleasure of shopping for insurance before. Thanks all.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote: They mention an early start period beginning on Aug 1 you can opt into. http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/insurance/Premium1011.html

Good find, but based on my convo with the student health insurance liason (she just called me back), I'm afraid we law students don't qualify for this.

She didn't say exactly why we can't get insurance before August 15th, but I imagine its because as the website says "Students enrolled in programs with early official start dates may pay a small supplemental premium," and our official start date is not until the 18th (or maybe the 16th if they count enrollment day). Going to contact the law school directly to make sure, will post an update afterwards.

I guess I just glanced at the chart without reading all the information. I'm facing a similar situation. If it is going to be 30 days or more between the time you leave work and 8/15 (assuming you get the student insurance) I have to imagine you will be highly incentivized to at least get some prices for a short term plan as opposed to going on COBRA if you are a relatively healthy individual.

In terms of shopping for an individual policy, I haven't ever done it either, but I think you probably will just want to contact the major carriers (Humana, Aetna, Blue Cross, etc.) to get a quote. You could also look into having an individual broker do the shopping for you, but if you are looking for a high deductible type plan, they probably won't make much of a commision and consequently may not be to enthusiastic about shopping it for you.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:46 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Here are some questions for current UVA students.

Overall, what has your law school experience at UVA been like? What do you love about UVA? What do you dislike about it? How have job prospects been for people?
If I do well enough on the LSAT, I'm thinking of going ED here next year. I love Charlottesville and my gut feeling is that I'll love UVA Law but I'm just curious as to your experiences..

I like the building itself as a large and open and inviting environment. Classmates are all very friendly, and the professors are (mostly) patient, friendly, and conversational in or out of class. I got the impression at other schools when I visited that they were more competitive-feeling than this place is. You'll still suffer law school stress here, but I think it's a lot less here than at many other schools due to the cordial atmosphere.

I like Charlottesville, but I do wish I was going to school at a place a bit more urban. C-ville is not a huge city, it's kind of spread out, and the traffic situation can be pretty terrible. A lot of the roads haven't been widened going into town due to the historic nature of many of the buildings, and they desperately need a bypass for US 29 going around the city. Some of the streets are very strangely laid out, to where you keep coming to intersections where you have to turn to stay on the street you're on and going straight becomes another street. The geography takes some getting used to. Also some of the drivers here are complete morons, moreso than elsewhere.

I managed to secure a pretty competitive PI internship in NYC this summer. I did a lot of work to do that, including racking up a lot of pro bono hours and networking while I was, but my feeling is that if you want something badly enough you can probably get it from here. I've got classmates that are interning for the USAO here or back home, others that are interning at local PI organizations, and a few that are going international to do human rights work overseas this summer. Some are doing RA gigs, which are not bad for 1Ls at all, especially since they tend to be paid reasonably.

I can't speak to the law firm experience, both because I'm not that interested in law firms and because I'm only a 1L. Most 1Ls didn't get anything at law firms because very few law firms are hiring 1Ls right now, but that's true everywhere. The focus this year for everyone has been to find something that gives legal experience so you've got it on your resume during the job hunt next year. Everything I've seen on TLS says that this is no different than other schools. I have heard from quite a few 2Ls here who have summer jobs lined up at law firms around the country, so while I can't speak to how often or how well that hunt has been going, folks have definitely been able to find things from here.

Thanks vanwinkle, this is useful!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:02 am

I have one decent suit (I had it tailored but I originally bought it off-the-rack at Macys). At what point will I need to purchase a nice business/firm suit for interviews and the like? I'll probably go Brooks Brothers so it'd be roughly $1800. Since that's quite the investment I'm curious as when I'll need to start shopping around.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:03 am

D Brooks wrote:I have one decent suit (I had it tailored but I originally bought it off-the-rack at Macys). At what point will I need to purchase a nice business/firm suit for interviews and the like? I'll probably go Brooks Brothers so it'd be roughly $1800. Since that's quite the investment I'm curious as when I'll need to start shopping around.

I bought two suits before coming here and haven't had to wear them yet. Other than a couple social events (PILA Auction and Barrister's Ball), the earliest you'll need a suit is for interviews for 1L summer jobs, after fall semester. After that, I don't think you'll need a suit until oral arguments in April, and then you won't need one until OGI (unless, of course, your 1L summer job requires a suit).

So personally, I wouldn't bother with Brooks Brothers until close to OGI.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:14 am

Cavalier wrote:
D Brooks wrote:I have one decent suit (I had it tailored but I originally bought it off-the-rack at Macys). At what point will I need to purchase a nice business/firm suit for interviews and the like? I'll probably go Brooks Brothers so it'd be roughly $1800. Since that's quite the investment I'm curious as when I'll need to start shopping around.

I bought two suits before coming here and haven't had to wear them yet. Other than a couple social events (PILA Auction and Barrister's Ball), the earliest you'll need a suit is for interviews for 1L summer jobs, after fall semester. After that, I don't think you'll need a suit until oral arguments in April, and then you won't need one until OGI (unless, of course, your 1L summer job requires a suit).

So personally, I wouldn't bother with Brooks Brothers until close to OGI.

Sounds good. Thanks.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Probably been answered elsewhere but my google-fu is weak tonight; how much did you 1Ls spend on books each semester? How many were you able to find on the internets for cheaper than the bookstore offered?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:18 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Here are some questions for current UVA students.

Overall, what has your law school experience at UVA been like? What do you love about UVA? What do you dislike about it? How have job prospects been for people?
If I do well enough on the LSAT, I'm thinking of going ED here next year. I love Charlottesville and my gut feeling is that I'll love UVA Law but I'm just curious as to your experiences..

If you love Charlottesville you will die from happiness at UVA Law.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:41 am

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Probably been answered elsewhere but my google-fu is weak tonight; how much did you 1Ls spend on books each semester? How many were you able to find on the internets for cheaper than the bookstore offered?

I think I've spent between $500-600 both semesters. Usually you can get books new on Amazon.com for well under what they go for at the bookstore. If you don't mind someone else's highlighting, you could probably spend a lot less by getting used books.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 am

1Ls/0Ls: What does the blurb on your resume for UVA look like?

This is what I have:

August 2010 – May 2013 University of Virginia School of Law Charlottesville, VA
J.D. Candidate, Expected graduation in May 2013

Also, Law School Confidential mentions not to have political/religious/controversial stuff on your resume but I had a pretty substantive position with the Obama campaign last fall and I'm currently working in an even more substantive position on my Democratic Congressman's releection campaign. It's pretty interesting/cool work experience so I'd rather not leave it off but then again, I don't want to be passed over position for my political views.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 am

D Brooks wrote:1Ls/0Ls: What does the blurb on your resume for UVA look like?

This is what I have:

Also, Law School Confidential mentions not to have political/religious/controversial stuff on your resume but I had a pretty substantive position with the Obama campaign last fall and I'm currently working in an even more substantive position on my Democratic Congressman's releection campaign. It's pretty interesting/cool work experience so I'd rather not leave it off but then again, I don't want to be passed over position for my political views.

I have:

University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, VA
J.D. Expected, May 2012

Basically it doesn't matter what you do as long as you call it "School of Law" and not "Law School." Employers, especially UVA Law alums, will notice, so I've been told. As far as political activities go, I think it depends on the firm. I'd leave it off just to be safe though.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

Cavalier wrote:

This is what I have:

I have:

University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, VA
J.D. Expected, May 2012

Basically it doesn't matter what you do as long as you call it "School of Law" and not "Law School." Employers, especially UVA Law alums, will notice, so I've been told. As far as political activities go, I think it depends on the firm. I'd leave it off just to be safe though.

Sounds good.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

This is what I have:

Dude, there are at least half a dozen topics over this same issue. I, for one, am going to be putting my experience with Republican organizations on my resume - but it all depends on what your willing to live with. If a job turns you down because you worked on a reelection campaign do you really want to work for them anyway?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:49 pm

billyez wrote:

This is what I have:

Dude, there are at least half a dozen topics over this same issue. I, for one, am going to be putting my experience with Republican organizations on my resume - but it all depends on what your willing to live with. If a job turns you down because you worked on a reelection campaign do you really want to work for them anyway?

I wouldn't want to work for a firm that actively avoids diversity of political opinion, but if it's just one hiring partner who has strong feelings on the subject I don't really care. However, if s/he is the one who happens to be the one reviewing my resume, I'm going to regret having it on there.

I guess I can just wait to speak with OCS come November.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 pm

i get chills when I see that on my resume.

UVA Law school

hahahaha

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm

This is what I have:

University of Virginia School of Law [Tabs] Charlottesville, VA
Candidate for Juris Doctor, 2012

Edit: the school recommends cavalier's way of doing it, but I just don't like how it looks on paper

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:36 pm

So this is kind of old, but now I'm thinking maybe I should have rode out the WL at Vandy. :lol: Current 1Ls: Does this really pass as a legitimate way to pick someone up in law school?

Best of Craigslist wrote:Be my John Roberts - w4m

Date: 2009-12-08, 5:09AM CST

You're cordial to me when we see each other around school or at the bars, but I'm looking for more than a "hello" and a smile these days. I need a little something to relieve some stress during exams. Be my Chief Justice and grant cert to this appeal (for hot, hot loving).

You: Mid twenties, sort of messy parted brownish hair, dressed like a grownup frat boy, slightly nerdy (but hey, it's law school, I'm a sucker for bad jokes and watching Jeopardy before/after/during sex. "I'll take consent for $800 Alex.").

Me: Same general age. If looks were grades, I'd probably be summering at a decent firm. Maybe not Wachtell, but certainly not DUI defense in Detroit either. I have a laptop, drink from a reusable water bottle, and sometimes wear Uggs to school when I'm studying.

If you feel the same way (and want to join me for some Rule 19 Joinder of Parties), go to Phyllis's desk and ask if she knows where to find a good hornbook. She'll give you all the information you need.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 pm

It's an oldie, but a goodie. I don't know why, but that last part with the hornbook is just hilarious to me.

"Hey, are you Phyllis? Yeah, I'm looking for a good hornbook."

"Huh? I'm flattered, but I don't need your phone number. For real, I need a good hornbook."

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:34 am

I'm looking into a housing option that is close to downtown - about 1 mile away, on the East side of town. My one concern about living there is that I'll be fairly far away (aka, I'll have to drive) from the social events of 1L year. I figure I'll need to cab it or not drink too much for events in Ivy, but I was hoping I could walk home from events downtown. Is Bar Review typically at a bar downtown or at the Corner? If so, I figure that I could still be fairly active without worrying too much about transportation.

Anyone think I would miss out on the "UVA 1L experience" if I lived on the opposite side of town?

BTW, if I don't live on the east side of town, I'd probably live at the Woodlands, which would present the same transportation problem but it seems like I would be closer to other law students.

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:14 pm

is it possible that 1ls have no classes on friday?

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 pm

also- can you get cheaper rents if you get an apartment in august?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”